Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah if you wanna get an idea of what the rest of part 1 is gonna be like, go check the Yu-Gi-Oh wikia. There's some episode previews for 47-50 up and there's a few bombs dropped in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm kind of enjoying how the Destiny Heroes come off as really lame knockoffs, like the kind you'd find in some generic comic. Names like Captain Tenacious and Diamond Dude suit Aster perfectly.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

^^Well poo poo. Youre right.
Im not familiar at all with the Zexal anime archetypes so I didnt know about that. I much prefer the Duel Terminal ones anyways.

Id love for Magician of Creation's effect to become "This cards Rank is now a Level". "Rank -> Level" effect (and vice versa maybe?) Would be really cool effects.
I would love an archetype that juggles that.

Then again that probably will ban any XYZ card that has a strong effect.

Do Solitaire until Planetellar gets 14 materials and just skip your opponents next two turns.

When xyz monsters are used as xyz materials to summon a new monster, the xyz materials of the material monster are detached before the summon occurs.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
I started watching the newest ygo show (having only watched original and gx before) and it's pretty alright, except for the opening theme, which is crap, and the design of the odd eyes dragon, which might just be the ugliest dragon I've ever seen. Also action duels are retarded.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Slur posted:

When xyz monsters are used as xyz materials to summon a new monster, the xyz materials of the material monster are detached before the summon occurs.

Literally every effect which lets you stack Xyz on other Xyz has kept the materials. Check any Rank-Up-Magic or Number C39. Where are you getting this?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dabir posted:

Literally every effect which lets you stack Xyz on other Xyz has kept the materials. Check any Rank-Up-Magic or Number C39. Where are you getting this?

While that is true it is also true that every effect which has made an XYZ monster a material of another XYZ monster, except by ranking up, has discarded the materials.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Xoidanor posted:

While that is true it is also true that every effect which has made an XYZ monster a material of another XYZ monster, except by ranking up, has discarded the materials.

If true then its definitely the exception rather than the rule.

Utopia ray, constellar M7, dark matter dragon...

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Dabir posted:

1. There are clauses in those card texts which allow the previous materials to remain attached as xyz materials.

2. Summoning Number F0: Future Hope requires 2 xyz monsters as materials. There is no such clause on the card which allows the xyz materials to stay. Therefore, it is summoned to the field with 2 xyz materials (the monsters which were used).

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

K. Flaps posted:

I started watching the newest ygo show (having only watched original and gx before) and it's pretty alright, except for the opening theme, which is crap, and the design of the odd eyes dragon, which might just be the ugliest dragon I've ever seen. Also action duels are retarded.

Action duels were a brilliant way to bring to show back to its roots, where no one, including the audience and the characters that invented the game, knows the rules of the game.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Utopia ray, constellar M7, dark matter dragon...
These are examples of Chaos Xyz/Rank-Up summoning...

Slur posted:

2. Summoning Number F0: Future Hope requires 2 xyz monsters as materials. There is no such clause on the card which allows the xyz materials to stay. Therefore, it is summoned to the field with 2 xyz materials (the monsters which were used).
...and this is actually using 2 Xyz monsters as material. It's two different things, and as far as I can remember, Future Hope is the only card that's like that. Definitely an exception, and not the rule.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't know if this adds to the argument or not, but when Yuya Xyz Summons Odd-Eyes Rebellion Dragon, it has two Xyz Materials (Odd-Eyes and Dark Rebellion). By that time, Dark Rebellion still had both of its Xyz Materials, so they must've been sent to the graveyard upon Xyz Summoning.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

AnacondaHL posted:

Action duels were a brilliant way to bring to show back to its roots, where no one, including the audience and the characters that invented the game, knows the rules of the game.

Yeah but Stone Rock Soldier Man attacking the moonis insanely sick, and yugioh guy falling into custard and magically getting a "you cant touch me card" is lame.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Dexie posted:

These are examples of Chaos Xyz/Rank-Up summoning...

...and this is actually using 2 Xyz monsters as material. It's two different things, and as far as I can remember, Future Hope is the only card that's like that. Definitely an exception, and not the rule.

Well, if when Future Hope is Xyz summoned it doesn't keep its material's overlay units, why would Odd Eyes Rebellion Dragon be different? OERD is also using an Xyz monster as material, so Future Hope is no longer alone :v:

Also:

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't know if this adds to the argument or not, but when Yuya Xyz Summons Odd-Eyes Rebellion Dragon, it has two Xyz Materials (Odd-Eyes and Dark Rebellion). By that time, Dark Rebellion still had both of its Xyz Materials, so they must've been sent to the graveyard upon Xyz Summoning.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Silento posted:

Well, if when Future Hope is Xyz summoned it doesn't keep its material's overlay units, why would Odd Eyes Rebellion Dragon be different? OERD is also using an Xyz monster as material, so Future Hope is no longer alone :v:

Also:

I'm not counting Odd-Eyes Rebellion because it only exists in the anime, and until we get it's reveal for the actual game, we don't know how it's going to work.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Dexie posted:

I'm not counting Odd-Eyes Rebellion because it only exists in the anime, and until we get it's reveal for the actual game, we don't know how it's going to work.

You might want to check a couple of pages back, because that card seems to have already had an official release, or at least it has been spoilered.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

You might want to check a couple of pages back, because that card seems to have already had an official release, or at least it has been spoilered.

Nope. Sometimes we get high-quality pictures of anime cards like that. I guess they might come from Konami's Japanese twitter or Japanese anime sites?

It's yet to be announced for the actual game (though it's obvious it'll be the cover card for the next set, Clash of Rebellion), and I'm guessing it's going to have a drastically changed effect when that happens.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Sometimes the altered changes confuse me. Take Beast eyes for instance, why don't you use Polymerization to make it? It's a fusion monster, but for whatever reason you don't have to actually do anything other than have two monsters. For that matter, why doesn't it even need Odd Eyes to make it? It makes Trump Witch's whole thing kind of useless in the context of the show.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Momomo posted:

Sometimes the altered changes confuse me. Take Beast eyes for instance, why don't you use Polymerization to make it? It's a fusion monster, but for whatever reason you don't have to actually do anything other than have two monsters. For that matter, why doesn't it even need Odd Eyes to make it? It makes Trump Witch's whole thing kind of useless in the context of the show.

If you just tribute summon beast-eyes you can't use his affect since he won't have a fusion material. Which is the incentive for fusing him legitimately.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I think I misunderstood the card's effect. It says:

quote:

Must be Fusion Summoned, or Special Summoned (from your Extra Deck) by Tributing the above cards you control (you do not use "Polymerization"), and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways.

I thought this was saying "You can't use Polymerization to fuse this, it's always tributed"

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Momomo posted:

I think I misunderstood the card's effect. It says:

I thought this was saying "You can't use Polymerization to fuse this, it's always tributed"

It's saying you CAN use Polymerization or Dragon's Mirror or any other appropriate Fusion card to summon it, BUT if the materials are both on your field, then you can Fusion summon it by Tributing them instead of using a Fusion card.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

"Must be fusion summoned," meaning you can fusion it the standard ways, "OR special summoned by..." meaning you can do it that way too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Basically, it prevents you from using stuff like Magical Scientist on it, since those special summon from the fusion deck, but you can still do standard fusion summons.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If you just tribute summon beast-eyes you can't use his affect since he won't have a fusion material. Which is the incentive for fusing him legitimately.

Wait what? This wasn't a thing when I tried Beast-eyes like 2 months back in devpro.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

Wait what? This wasn't a thing when I tried Beast-eyes like 2 months back in devpro.

Oh, that's just what I thought from reading the card description. I was just thinking that if he was only tribute summoned then the beast type monster used wouldn't really count as a fusion material. Might've been wrong though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I believe Beast-Eyes similarly to chimeratech fortress is just treated like another variant of contact fusion.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Xoidanor posted:

I believe Beast-Eyes similarly to chimeratech fortress is just treated like another variant of contact fusion.

This is correct.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Dexie posted:

Considering Future Hope is the only card of its kind, and it is the only card without the clause text, I don't think it is the exception so much as it is 'the rule never put into action'.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Every time an Xyz monster gained the materials of the card it was overlayed on to it, it was because of a card effect, the effect of the card being summoned, the effect of the Rank Up Magic, etc. etc. If you gave an Xyz monster a level and used it as Xyz material, its materials would go to the graveyard because there's no effect keeping them attached.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Arc-V dub starts tomorrow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t35ge4djX6w

In Germany

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

aww why isnt it arc funf

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

...Arc-Five? I have been pronouncing it Arc-V in my idea this entire time.
edit: which is doubly stupid, since in the previews it's always called Arc-Five.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 16, 2015

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Momomo posted:

I'm kind of enjoying how the Destiny Heroes come off as really lame knockoffs, like the kind you'd find in some generic comic. Names like Captain Tenacious and Diamond Dude suit Aster perfectly.

This is why Aster is the second-best character in GX. He is however much worse in the original because in the original he's just a tool but in the dub he is like the tool version of Jaden where he's constantly calling people "dude" and "bro" and stuff, he rules.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
The best gx guy is bastion, who had sex with a trading card amazon.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

http://ygorganization.com/aflameaterisfine/

The time of the mage is at hand.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I can't help but notice that if you happen to have two Flame Eaters in your hand and you take effect damage, nothing is stopping you from trigger them one after the other; one in response to the effect and one in response to the first Flame Eater's effect.

All a rank-4 spammer need is a way to damage themselves reliably and they'll have yet another way to access their Castiel and Insect Knight and whatnot.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

paradoxGentleman posted:

...Arc-Five? I have been pronouncing it Arc-V in my idea this entire time.
edit: which is duobly stupid, since in the previews it's always called Arc-Five.

1) It's the fifth series in the Yu-Gi-Oh franchise.
2) The shape of a pendulum's arc makes a stylized V, similar to the one in the title.
3) Artic + Uno, Zap + Dos, Molt + Tres
4) Mozart Is Still Alive

Oh that Flame Eater effect is just cheeky as poo poo.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 12, 2015

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

VJeff posted:

Oh that Flame Eater effect is just cheeky as poo poo.
I love it. I've been waiting for Spellcasters to get some kind of rank 4 play for a long time now.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's okay since it's searchable, not that amazing. However, I'm guessing we'll be seeing more in the next pack whenever Dennis gets around to using that polymerisation card.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well the Banish clause would make pulling off a vanishing Lanius style summon chain less desirable. Which locks you into XYZing with whatever flame eaters you summon if Entermages dont have return from Banishment effects.

(iirc 'banished on leaving the field' doesnt apply to used Xyz materials)

(Or do they?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Well the Banish clause would make pulling off a vanishing Lanius style summon chain less desirable. Which locks you into XYZing with whatever flame eaters you summon if Entermages dont have return from Banishment effects.

(iirc 'banished on leaving the field' doesnt apply to used Xyz materials)

(Or do they?)

They don't. The Flame Eaters will go to the graveyard if detached as Xyz materials.