Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

chumbler posted:

Does funi have Dagashi Kashi up yet?

Yeah but you gotta sign up or whatever and I haven't done that.

e: :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

Yeah but you gotta sign up or whatever and I haven't done that.

e: :effort:

Same. :geno::hf::geno:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
New Heavy Object OP is promising

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
boy am i glad i jumped ship when i did

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Gyra_Solune posted:

boy am i glad i jumped ship when i did

It's gotten better. I'm actually kind of invested in the love triangle.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

boom boom boom posted:

It's gotten better. I'm actually kind of invested in the love triangle.

there's a love triangle now too? dear gods

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Gyra_Solune posted:

there's a love triangle now too? dear gods

The Baby Magnum pilot is into Qwenthur, but it looks like Qwenthur and Frolaytia have a thing starting to happen.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
Once again, nearly every problem in Akagami no Shirayuki could be solved if Shirayuki would dye her drat hair.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Reds posted:

Once again, nearly every problem in Akagami no Shirayuki could be solved if Shirayuki would dye her drat hair.

actually creepos should stop messing with her because of it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

klapman posted:

made a thread for the muv luv anime, it is low effort in case it ends up being another Total Eclipse

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759722

added!

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Can you add the Aokana thread too when you get a chance?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

cathead posted:

Can you add the Aokana thread too when you get a chance?

done. also a few others.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Grimgar makes me laugh because it is like they formed a standard d&d party but with terrible stat rolls. It even has the obligatory annoying chaotic neutral character. The setting isn't really based on d&d, but it works so well. The other party would of course be a completely normal 1st level group that beats level-appropriate encounters to get level-appropriate loot.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the hosed up thing is, i've seen a bunch of posts around about how the series should follow the competent party instead

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

dogsicle posted:

the hosed up thing is, i've seen a bunch of posts around about how the series should follow the competent party instead

The goblins?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

dogsicle posted:

What? Why would anyone want to see that?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Command Ant posted:

The goblins?

I hope they make friends with the goblins. :ohdear:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Because they've got Raoh leading them, I guess? People dig Raoh.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

they're missing the point, i'd say

also i'm okay if/when the goblins die, it's a survival thing for them and the party

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I've been wanting to see poo poo-tier adventurers for years, I couldn't be happier with Grimgar right now.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Took me a little while to catch up, but I think I've got my watch list nailed down now.

Adding:

Dagashi Kashi Doesn't seem to quite live up to the hype so far, but I like these kinda laid back comedies so whatever.

Dimension W Animation seems a bit spotty in the first episode, but I love the 90's Scifi style it has going and the execution is quite good so far.

Grimgar Gorgeous enough to overlook it's flaws and a lot more interesting than your average "Stuck in an MMO/RPG" show.

Erased Probably an early contender for anime of the year. Never read the manga but I'm already hyped.

Rakugo A very rare sort of well made adult drama, and I'm glad it's all 24 minute episodes from here on because I'll admit the first episode had me nodding off a bit by the end.

Oh and Ojisan to Marshmallow is the only short that clicked with me this time around.

For a season I had zero expectations for I'm pretty pleased. Going to have trouble with keeping up with everything+the Fall leftovers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm curious to see if Dimension W will wind up being one of those shows with the spotty fight animation cleaned right up for the DVD/Blu-Ray release.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Episode 2 of Prince of Stride is still super gay. be my steady Something about the show still feels kinda substanceless, but maybe having an actual competition next episode will help flesh it out.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Grimgar intrigued me, so I read it. It's not that bad, but seeing how they've changed quite a bit from the opening of the story, I think it might actually be a bit faster and tighter. For example, the opening 3 or so chapters became the flashback of everyone meeting Brittney and joining the force. And they might even skip the bathhouse scene which felt like some prepubescent bullshit

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Strange Quark posted:

Episode 2 of Prince of Stride is still super gay. be my steady Something about the show still feels kinda substanceless, but maybe having an actual competition next episode will help flesh it out.

:agreed:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm glad the teacher ended up being their advisor and not a villain or anything like that. his gag of using idioms is kinda fun. not enough fashion in ep2 though

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Postal Parcel posted:

Grimgar intrigued me, so I read it. It's not that bad, but seeing how they've changed quite a bit from the opening of the story, I think it might actually be a bit faster and tighter. For example, the opening 3 or so chapters became the flashback of everyone meeting Brittney and joining the force. And they might even skip the bathhouse scene which felt like some prepubescent bullshit

Also (minor novel spoiler) the warrior guy wasn't originally part of their group, but they ended up picking him up after the chaotic neutral kid randomly chose to become a dark knight after he had already agreed to be their warrior. And unlike with most classes, dark knights can never switch to a new class later on. Despite the name dark knights are not even vaguely tanky so if not for their finding a replacement his choice would have gotten them all killed. I love how much of a colossal failure of a person he is, but the new version certainly streamlines things.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Bubuki Buranki's villains look like a bunch of complete losers. Half look like bad cosplayers and the rest are hipsters.

The CG is good when compared to the average, but this should really be the bare minimum for CG quality, not the exception. The character designs are okay, but I really wish these CG shows would stop insisting on having really boring art styles.

Reds fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 13, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It's a sterotypical fancy anime team of :smuggo: assholes. All you can really hope for is to get some interesting fight scenes out of them.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

And the sooner Japan gets over this stupid idea of cutting frames, the better. It doesn't make it look any more 2D, and you shouldn't be emulating bad 2D animation in the first place. I thought the ideal of 2D was fluidity in the first place.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't remember any outfits sticking out, at least in comparison to some of the silly protagonist ones, or the weird face-helmets. also all the villains are too busy being incredibly good-looking due to having Kozaki character designs

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Reds posted:

And the sooner Japan gets over this stupid idea of cutting frames, the better. It doesn't make it look any more 2D, and you shouldn't be emulating bad 2D animation in the first place. I thought the ideal of 2D was fluidity in the first place.
not quite, but CG animation like you see in anime usually doesn't actually abide by the proper rules of animation, at least not from what i've seen. this short does it better, it looks like they did it keyframe by keyframe and abided by the proper unofficial 'rules', despite its design style being the opposite of "let's make it look like drawings!" -- it's fully designed as a CG production

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WacTwZljbKk

aesthetic probably plays into it too because even as clean as anime line work can be at times, it's never perfect, as many pre-bluray shots from animes have shown, and CG will always have perfect looking contours

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I just wish for once they'd pick an art style that plays to 3D's strengths instead of poorly imitating 2D.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Reds posted:

I just wish for once they'd pick an art style that plays to 3D's strengths instead of poorly imitating 2D.

You're looking for a little show called Reboot, friend.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Reds posted:

Go check out Guilty Gear Xrd, their CGI style is what animators should be learning from.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i like how Bubuki's cg looks, and how it moves for the most part :shrug:

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

not quite, but CG animation like you see in anime usually doesn't actually abide by the proper rules of animation, at least not from what i've seen. this short does it better, it looks like they did it keyframe by keyframe and abided by the proper unofficial 'rules', despite its design style being the opposite of "let's make it look like drawings!" -- it's fully designed as a CG production

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WacTwZljbKk

aesthetic probably plays into it too because even as clean as anime line work can be at times, it's never perfect, as many pre-bluray shots from animes have shown, and CG will always have perfect looking contours

Apparently the Iron Giant had a slight wobble programmed into the CG so it would match better with the surrounding hand drawn animation.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Go check out Guilty Gear Xrd, their CGI style is what animators should be learning from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

So I just finished Deen's reincarnation show, Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo. My expectations were rock bottom, I was mostly watching it to get acquainted with generic reincarnation LNs.

Then it turned out that this is not a generic reincarnation LN, it's a ridiculous comedy that's mocking the poo poo out of reincarnation LNs. In the first three minutes it took a massive poo poo over the generic reincarnation setup and kept rolling from there.

It's Deen and the animation quality is absolute rear end, but it manages to be expressive. It's definitely my surprise of the season so far, anybody looking for a comedy should try it out.

• Locked thread