Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Huh, didn't realize they hired Nexus modders to help them make the new Watch Dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Looking at all those dapper pirate motherfuckers, has there been anything which featured a pirate crew that was nothing but sharp-dressed gentlemen and/or ladies with nary an eyepatch nor peg-leg nor utterance of "yarr", yet otherwise played completely straight as to their maritime domain and marauding inclinations?

Mazed fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 16, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Well, these are their Founding Father portraits for their communist utopia, so I'd expect them to be fairly dapper.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Mazed posted:

Looking at all those dapper pirate motherfuckers, has there been anything which featured a pirate crew that was nothing but sharp-dressed gentlemen and/or ladies with nary an eyepatch nor peg-leg nor utterance of "yarr", yet otherwise played completely straight as to their maritime domain and marauding inclinations?

Do Errol Flynn swashbuckling movies count?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Chip Cheezum posted:

I wonder if Drake keeps a list somewhere that documents all the things he has or has not hit with a speeding car.

Episode 14: Say Cheese!.....Cut Commentary.....Baldurdash

Yo no one mentioned it but at 20:48 you do, in fact, go through a plate glass window while you're driving through that building. It's standing up in that construction area.
CHECKLIST : COMPLETE

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mazed posted:

Assassin's Creed 4 to some extent. I mean, Blackbeard would put on the persona to scare the bajeesus out of his enemies, but nobody went full Treasure Island.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I really appreciate this game because I think its the only game in history that has had believable friendships and relationships. That whole end scene is one I 100% buy and could believe actually happened.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bruceski posted:

Assassin's Creed 4 to some extent. I mean, Blackbeard would put on the persona to scare the bajeesus out of his enemies, but nobody went full Treasure Island.

Too bad he set off his death flags of "im going to retire from pirate life as i have enough to live out the rest of my life comfortably."
And then he gets betrayed and deaded

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Grapplejack posted:

Yo no one mentioned it but at 20:48 you do, in fact, go through a plate glass window while you're driving through that building. It's standing up in that construction area.
CHECKLIST : COMPLETE

I think that was just a construction scaffold, there's no audio for a shattering window. Though it really does feel like a big satisfying pane glass window should've gone there. Probably likely they totally intended for one to be there, but didn't have the tech to render realistic shards of broken glass efficiently, or otherwise couldn't get it looking right.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Mazed posted:

That's the sort of image I had in my head while reading "The Jefferson Key" by Steve Berry, but if it were to be made into a movie I'm sure it would go the eyepatch and pegleg route you state.

Also, maybe this was the Malaysia job?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-37997640

(Malaysia, Java, same difference right?)

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Too bad he set off his death flags of "im going to retire from pirate life as i have enough to live out the rest of my life comfortably."
And then he gets betrayed and deaded

Which is hilarious because the real Edward Teach got a pardon from a governor, and then went right back to piracy like two months later.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I know they are dumb bullshit that everyone thinks are stupid, but the game award noms are up and UC4 is in a whole bunch of them

http://thegameawards.com/
:lol: Especially in the Performance Awards where Nolan, Troy, and Emily are up for their performances :lol:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Why would you have a 2016 awards show before 2016 is even over??

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Why would you have a 2016 awards show before 2016 is even over??
Does anything good come out in December?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

achillesforever6 posted:

I don't know! But any games coming out in december can't win because they're coming out after the awards show. That feels like a 1/12th-of-a-year sized hole in the concept!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
They accounted for that, which is why Xenoblade X is up for Best RPG (it released in Dec 2015), despite the fact that no one has cared about it for about 11 months once we found out how limited the giant robots were and how much of a pain in the rear end they were to get.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

paragon1 posted:

Which is hilarious because the real Edward Teach got a pardon from a governor, and then went right back to piracy like two months later.

That was more a case of greed than anything else.
He felt he didnt have enough, so a few merchant ships, a hit was called and bam you got one pirate dead at 38.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Artix posted:

They accounted for that, which is why Xenoblade X is up for Best RPG (it released in Dec 2015), despite the fact that no one has cared about it for about 11 months once we found out how limited the giant robots were and how much of a pain in the rear end they were to get.

speak for yourself merely-walking-on-own-two-feet human

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

That was more a case of greed than anything else.
He felt he didnt have enough, so a few merchant ships, a hit was called and bam you got one pirate dead at 38.
Its amazing how short Pirates' careers were, well not surprising given the times they lived.

My favorite Pirate story actually isn't during the Golden Age of Piracy, but rather Roman times when Cilician Pirates captured Julius Caesar

From Some Clickbait Article posted:

A 25 year old Julius Caesar was sailing the Aegean Sea when he was kidnapped by Sicilian pirates. The pirates who captured him initially asked for a ransom of 20 talents of silver (which is about 620 kg of silver or $600,000 by today’s silver prices). According to Plutarch, rather than send his associates off to gather the silver, he instead laughed at the pirates and demanded they ask for 50 (1550 kg of silver), as 20 talents of silver was too small of a ransom for himself.

The pirates, of course, agreed and Caesar sent some of his associates off to gather the silver, which took 38 days to accomplish. Now nearly alone with the pirates (only keeping two servants and one of his friends), rather than cower, he instead took the route of treating them as if they were his subordinates. He even went so far as to demand they not talk whenever he decided to take a nap or go to sleep for the night. He spent most of his time with them composing and reciting poetry, as well as writing speeches. He would then recite the works to the pirates. He also joined in with playing various games with the pirates and participating in their exercises, generally acting as if he wasn’t a prisoner, but rather, their leader. The pirates quickly grew to respect and like him and allowed him the freedom to more or less do as he pleased on their island and ships.

While he was friendly with them, he also didn’t appreciate being held captive. As such, he swore to them that he would hunt them down and have them crucified, once the ransom was paid. Despite the fact that at that time he was just acting as a private citizen, once he was free, he manage to quickly raise a small fleet which he took back to the island the pirates had held him at. Apparently they hadn’t taken his threats seriously, because they were still there when he arrived. He captured them and took back his 50 talents of silver, along with all their possessions.

He next delivered the pirates to the authorities at the prison at Pergamon and then traveled to meet the proconsul of Asia, Marcus Junius, to petition to have the pirates executed. The proconsul refused, wanting to sell the pirates as slaves and take the spoils for himself. Unhappy with this outcome, Caesar traveled back to Pergamon where the Sicilian pirates were being held and ordered that they be crucified under his own authority, which was subsequently done.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Tl;dr don't gently caress with Julius Caesar.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

achillesforever6 posted:

Final Fantasy 15, Dead Rising 4, and the Last Guardian are some of the big releases that come out late late November/Early December.

The bigger question is that they're putting expansions as games despite the fact that there's a billion rpgs are that not expansions out.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Artix posted:

Play for a dozen or so hours until you get your free one. Positively Herculean.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
I think I'm just gonna have to stop watching this LP and play the game for myself.

Tae posted:

Final Fantasy 15, Dead Rising 4, and the Last Guardian are some of the big releases that come out late late November/Early December.

He said anything good.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

After finally deciding to settle down and watch the first three Uncharted LPs, today I finally caught up with the thread.

And by gosh I love you Chip for making a Puzzle and Dragon joke in the latest update. :allears:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Actually, apparently the stereotype of pirates with peg-legs/eyepatches/hooks is because there were no pensions given out to people who suffered massive grevious harm in the bad old days, but if you got those injuries, more often then not you got kicked out.

So you got a whole bunch of guys with missing body parts, and nothing else other than naval experience and very little money.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Eyepatches were also allegedly to keep one eye dilated for going below decks, but I don't know whether that actually works. I can imagine the lighting difference would be severe enough to try it, but I donno if our pupils dilate independently of each other.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bruceski posted:

Eyepatches were also allegedly to keep one eye dilated for going below decks, but I don't know whether that actually works. I can imagine the lighting difference would be severe enough to try it, but I donno if our pupils dilate independently of each other.

It doesn't, the Mythbusters guys tried it in varying conditions and neither of em could see poo poo. drat you, pyrates!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CJacobs posted:

It doesn't, the Mythbusters guys tried it in varying conditions and neither of em could see poo poo. drat you, pyrates!

I'm pretty sure that the Mythbusters crew had an easier time when they used the eyepatch. Just checked to confirm and everything. There's no firm evidence that's why real pirates did it, but it would work.

Of course, there's a lot of persistent myths about pirates. For example, you hear a lot of talk about a man named "Edward Teach", claiming that he was the legendary Blackbeard.

As true scholars know, the real Blackbeard was a blue eyed rock monster.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm pretty sure that the Mythbusters crew had an easier time when they used the eyepatch. Just checked to confirm and everything. There's no firm evidence that's why real pirates did it, but it would work.

Of course, there's a lot of persistent myths about pirates. For example, you hear a lot of talk about a man named "Edward Teach", claiming that he was the legendary Blackbeard.

As true scholars know, the real Blackbeard was a blue eyed rock monster.

Oh poo poo! I guess I was remembering the episode wrong. To be fair to me, it's been a decade since I watched it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tae posted:

And Pokemon Sun and Moon is out, like, tomorrow.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Samovar posted:

Actually, apparently the stereotype of pirates with peg-legs/eyepatches/hooks is because there were no pensions given out to people who suffered massive grevious harm in the bad old days, but if you got those injuries, more often then not you got kicked out.

So you got a whole bunch of guys with missing body parts, and nothing else other than naval experience and very little money.

Quite the opposite, in fact. Some pirate societies were incredible for the amount they looked after each other and how democratic they were.

And here're the actual Shipbord Articles from the Pirate Code of Conduct of Bartholomew "Black Bart" Roberts from 1721:

(Article 9 covers wounds)

quote:

ARTICLE I - Every man shall have an equal vote in affairs of moment. He shall have an equal title to the fresh provisions or strong liquors at any time seized, and shall use them at pleasure unless a scarcity may make it necessary for the common good that a retrenchment may be voted.
ARTICLE II - Every man shall be called fairly in turn by the list on board of prizes, because over and above their proper share, they are allowed a shift of clothes. But if they defraud the company to the value of even one dollar in plate, jewels or money, they shall be marooned. If any man rob another he shall have his nose and ears slit, and be put ashore where he shall be sure to encounter hardships.
ARTICLE III - None shall game for money either with dice or cards.
ARTICLE IV - The lights and candles should be put out at eight at night, and if any of the crew desire to drink after that hour they shall sit upon the open deck without lights.
ARTICLE V - Each man shall keep his piece, cutlass and pistols at all times clean and ready for action.
ARTICLE VI - No boy or woman to be allowed amongst them. If any man shall be found seducing any of the latter sex and carrying her to sea in disguise he shall suffer death.
ARTICLE VII - He that shall desert the ship or his quarters in time of battle shall be punished by death or marooning.
ARTICLE VIII - None shall strike another on board the ship, but every man's quarrel shall be ended on shore by sword or pistol in this manner. At the word of command from the quartermaster, each man being previously placed back to back, shall turn and fire immediately. If any man do not, the quartermaster shall knock the piece out of his hand. If both miss their aim they shall take to their cutlasses, and he that draweth first blood shall be declared the victor.
ARTICLE IX - No man shall talk of breaking up their way of living till each has a share of l,000. Every man who shall become a cripple or lose a limb in the service shall have 800 pieces of eight from the common stock and for lesser hurts proportionately.
ARTICLE X - The captain and the quartermaster shall each receive two shares of a prize, the master gunner and boatswain, one and one half shares, all other officers one and one quarter, and private gentlemen of fortune one share each.

So 800 pieces of eight if you get hurt sounds pretty drat good to me.

Can't find how much a piece of eight that was actually worth at the time, though.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
"Private gentleman of fortune" is such a great job title.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

Quite the opposite, in fact. Some pirate societies were incredible for the amount they looked after each other and how democratic they were.
I think Samovar meant that people got into pirating because it was somewhere that'd take them despite their handicap.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I admit it, I would be that guy who eventually ends up with four pegged limbs because of the monetary compensation

edit: "There he goes, ol' Peg Leg Leg Arm Arm CJacobs. What a cad, that young man is."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Zereth posted:

I think Samovar meant that people got into pirating because it was somewhere that'd take them despite their handicap.

Yeah, like they were kicked out of honest work for merchants or the navy, and no one but pirates would take them in.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CJacobs posted:

I admit it, I would be that guy who eventually ends up with four pegged limbs because of the monetary compensation

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Gorilla Salad posted:

Can't find how much a piece of eight that was actually worth at the time, though.

So it's entirely too late at night and I can't sleep so...

http://pirates.hegewisch.net/money.html

quote:

The British pound was the equivalent worth of the Colonial dollar ($) or piece of eight. (at least in weight) [...] By the time of the American revolution, Spanish or "Miller Dollars" as they became known were being exchanged at the rate of 4-8 shillings to the dollar. This is between 1/4 to 1/2 their actual value in silver!

https://www.measuringworth.com/calculators/ppoweruk/

Treating that as correct, tossing the 800 pieces of eight in to that calculator gets you ~£111,600.00 in today's money (which could be as little as 27,900 depending on the exchange rate). That's ~$140k. Seems really god drat high.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/currency/default0.asp#mid

This gets you ~£69k for 2005, which in turn is ~£92k (~$114k). Still kind of high but if it's enough to put you out of the business forever it's a decent enough nest egg I suppose.

That's making some hefty assumptions of course.

http://www.w3r-us.org/history/library/seligreptde6.pdf

One pound sterling was work 2.5 to 3.5 pieces of eight (320 to 229 pounds for the pieces of eight) per this document which puts it closer to the £27,900 mentioned above. Which is ~35k. Seems more reasonable.

http://projects.exeter.ac.uk/RDavies/arian/current/howmuch.html

This has a bunch of nifty costs from various periods. Which is where I found this: http://pierre-marteau.com/wiki/index.php?title=Prices_and_Wages

To give you an idea of what that's worth in wages for the time period. It's around what a barrister would make in two or three years or what a skilled textile worker would make in a decade.

Keep in mind all the math being done is while I'm bored/sleep deprived.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I'd elect a pyrate.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Sorry, should have specified that they got kicked out of proper navies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I'm just happy to post the one Pyrate Fact™ I know :haw:

• Locked thread