Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Periphery posted:

Yes, but why do it in a way that is so obviously damaging for the party that you claim to want to be a part of? The whole thing is so counterproductive that it makes it nonsensical. I'm sure plenty of other members have managed to express their opinions in ways that don't give easy ammunition to everyone that hates the Greens.

Simple answer: They're morons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...229-gtjitf.html

quote:

In a statement released on Thursday, Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said Australia was not currently a member of the Security Council and was not eligible to vote on the resolution.

However, she said, "in voting at the UN, the Coalition government has consistently not supported one-sided resolutions targeting Israel".

She urged both sides to refrain from steps that damage the prospect for peace and to "resume direct negotiations for a two-state solution as soon as possible".

Nice to see the Coalition can avoid slavishly following the USA in all things (as long as the USA does something decent).

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Israel clearly doesn't want a two state solution though. Stopping settlement is the obvious first step in the peace process.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Israel wont stop until they've pushed all the Palestinians out, one way or another. Or they're stopped by someone else, but unless Trump is the one to do it I can't see anyone stepping up.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/DavidLeyonhjelm/status/814405392843173888

What a delicate loving flower.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Israel clearly doesn't want a two state solution though. Stopping settlement is the obvious first step in the peace process.
Well they had a fair crack at it but compromise just wasn't in Arafat's DNA when push came to shove. There isn't much in the way of a process at this point so there's not much of an incentive for them to stop. It's ticking all the boxes for them.

starkebn posted:

Israel wont stop until they've pushed all the Palestinians out, one way or another. Or they're stopped by someone else, but unless Trump is the one to do it I can't see anyone stepping up.
Not until back fences are looking over Jordan and Egypt. No-one's going to stop them. Who's going to pour in blood and treasure to knock over cinder block houses owned by people quite good at defending themselves?

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Holy poo poo, lol. Wish I was a member, I'd post "So you disagree with the stock market, then? Since "shares" in a company represent "shared ownership", this could lead to disputes between the joint owners. Abolish the stock exchange, you say? Sounds like a bunch of communist crap to me, matey potatey".

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Holy poo poo, lol. Wish I was a member, I'd post "So you disagree with the stock market, then? Since "shares" in a company represent "shared ownership", this could lead to disputes between the joint owners. Abolish the stock exchange, you say? Sounds like a bunch of communist crap to me, matey potatey".

QFT

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

IM NOT MAD, YOURE MAD

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I love it how Lionhelm always retweets his army of syncophants.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I love it how Lionhelm always retweets his army of syncophants.
Isn't that what Twitter is for?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Graic Gabtar posted:

not for normal people no.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

Purity before practicality!

We shall TELL the unwashed masses what they need!

You're a loving moron by the way

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I'm not a member of any party anymore because the courier mail hounded me continuously as both a Labor and green member ever since I ruined Bill Glasson campaign. They keep on wanting to include me in a piece about radicalised youth.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Graic Gabtar posted:

Not according to Cat Hat.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

So the VIC government was told by the court to get kids the gently caress out of adult detention right the gently caress now you stupid fucks(4pm the day of the order was the original instruction), but argued that they had literally nowhere to put them. The court gave them thirty days.

The state government has now designated a section of the adult prison they are being held in as a juvenile prison to further stick its dick in the courts ear.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Solemn Sloth posted:

So the VIC government was told by the court to get kids the gently caress out of adult detention right the gently caress now you stupid fucks(4pm the day of the order was the original instruction), but argued that they had literally nowhere to put them. The court gave them thirty days.

The state government has now designated a section of the adult prison they are being held in as a juvenile prison to further stick its dick in the courts ear.
They're not going anywhere.

Dan is bleeding on crime. Along comes video of 'kids' trashing a detention centre needing police in riot gear to restore order. He's going to play this game with the court as long as he can not even needing to get out of second gear. Yes, he is that deep in the hole.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/ToryShepherd/status/814421408474271744

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
That's a funny comeback, but a loving horrible rug.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Solemn Sloth posted:

I thought the government had declared that part of the prison for juveniles before they got moved from Royal Park

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The fact that he assumed that Shepard was a man was pretty funny too, especially given her Twitter picture is of her.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

he needs a safe space

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

You Am I posted:

I thought the government had declared that part of the prison for juveniles before they got moved from Royal Park

The government said "we're sticking some kids here in the adult prison", the court said no you're not mate, Barwons not a juvenile facility, so the govt gazetted that the section of Barwon now is officially considered a juvenile facility (despite no material change)

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

The Peccadillo posted:

It's not meant to be "tenable"

Yoyo, your stated positions are naturally outwardly facing. They are the things you tell people you want to do. So you tell people you want to enrich and empower regular Australians and ensure the government and economy is working for them, and then you push things that empower people and reduce the power of capital and the right. The goal might be to eventually gut capitalism and bring about a new order, but you start by doing things that aren't overtly and fundamentally anti-capitalism because then you get to say things like "hey why are you opposed to protecting Australian workers and families?" over and over instead of trying to justify overturning the established order right away. You don't say you want to bring about the end of capitalism, you just happen to have a core ideal that is best served by tearing down capitalism and you're always wanting to do things that move closer to that end-point.

Also you don't try to split left in the left-most relevant party while the right-most relevant party is in power. You pull left, you consolidate power, THEN you split left if you need to. Why would you try and factionalise a minor party anyways? You factionalise major parties once you've secured enough power that you still have significant power after you do it you sillies.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Graic Gabtar posted:

Well they had a fair crack at it but compromise just wasn't in Arafat's DNA when push came to shove. There isn't much in the way of a process at this point so there's not much of an incentive for them to stop. It's ticking all the boxes for them.

I feel like if you can't leverage a position as overwhelmingly strong as Israel v Palestine into a favourable agreement, not even fair, outright favourable, then you're either lying about trying or you're by far the most incompetent negotiators in the history of humanity.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Periphery posted:

You don't have to compromise your values to approach a strategy of reaching your goals in a way that is more likely to succeed.

We don't, no, but somehow we are and have been! Last time we got into a coalition government in Tasmania our education minister closed a ton of schools, backflipped, and got wiped out next election. Don't think we got anything out of it either.

Same guy's now the national education spokesperson, replacing Lee Rhiannon, the only MP in the Greens left who actually cares about free education (see: RDN saying it's "not a priority")

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Aesculus posted:

Same guy's now the national education spokesperson, replacing Lee Rhiannon, the only MP in the Greens left who actually cares about free education (see: RDN saying it's "not a priority")

ughhhh i thought RDN said that they wanted to eventually move to free education but they weren't fighting for it in the next election

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Aesculus posted:

We don't, no, but somehow we are and have been! Last time we got into a coalition government in Tasmania our education minister closed a ton of schools, backflipped, and got wiped out next election. Don't think we got anything out of it either.

Best thing nick ever did was get out of Tas

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Abbott and Bernardi going at it now :popcorn:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

Abbott and Bernardi going at it now :popcorn:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jonah Galtberg posted:

You're a loving moron by the way

I've dealt with Trots and people with their mindset more than once in my life and know full well how toxic they can be to any organisation.

If you don't call them on their bullshit they will destroy everything.

Higsian posted:

Yoyo, your stated positions are naturally outwardly facing. They are the things you tell people you want to do. So you tell people you want to enrich and empower regular Australians and ensure the government and economy is working for them, and then you push things that empower people and reduce the power of capital and the right. The goal might be to eventually gut capitalism and bring about a new order, but you start by doing things that aren't overtly and fundamentally anti-capitalism because then you get to say things like "hey why are you opposed to protecting Australian workers and families?" over and over instead of trying to justify overturning the established order right away. You don't say you want to bring about the end of capitalism, you just happen to have a core ideal that is best served by tearing down capitalism and you're always wanting to do things that move closer to that end-point.

Also you don't try to split left in the left-most relevant party while the right-most relevant party is in power. You pull left, you consolidate power, THEN you split left if you need to. Why would you try and factionalise a minor party anyways? You factionalise major parties once you've secured enough power that you still have significant power after you do it you sillies.

Because they don't care about results. It's political virtue signalling and they'll happily kill the Greens to do it.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
ALP is going to get hosed in the QLD state elections because they backflipped on Adani, lol. Also, they haven't come out officially for decriminalisating abortion/safe schools (this was somewhat unofficially).

How's that for pragmatism?

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
Some guy commenting on a Guardian article sharing the experiences people have had with the automated debt system:

Concentrated :smuggo: 'If you don't like being poor, just get a job and stop whining about it!'

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

It's virtue signalling! It's virtue signalling!

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I got a message out of nowhere from centrelink the week before Christmas demanding I give them details of my income or they'll get them from the ATO... I haven't been on any sort of payments in 5 years but I'm guessing it's related to this new automated debt system.

Looking forward to a demand for money they never gave me!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I mean Trots are the worst, and there's clearly a lot in that faction judging purely from the whole, 'we're a secret society, boo!' thing they have going on.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Ten Becquerels posted:

Some guy commenting on a Guardian article sharing the experiences people have had with the automated debt system:

Concentrated :smuggo: 'If you don't like being poor, just get a job and stop whining about it!'
Well he is right, Centrelink is not a charity.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Which is funny, because libertarians constantly tell us how much they'd give to charities to help the poor if they just weren't taxed.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Yeah but he's wrong in that it is your money if you're eligible for it and apply and jump through the hoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic

Graic Gabtar posted:

Well he is right, Centrelink is not a charity.

Good point, never heard of St Vincent de Paul sending letters to people demanding repayment because they were given food but then someone saw them pick up a dollar off the ground they could have used to buy a cheeseburger instead.

• Locked thread