Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Alright, I'm officially terrified of Takumi in Arena now. Ran into one getting DEF buffs from a support unit behind her, and every unit I moused over would be one-shot (in her defense, my team has two air cavalry). Eventually had to use Stahl to whittle her HP down a tiny bit (while he ate a 25 damage counter from her), before Camilla could kill her without dying to a counter attack.

Without Camilla's double-swing, don't think I could have ever killed the Takumi, let alone the other three members of her team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

AegisP posted:

Alright, I'm officially terrified of Takumi in Arena now. Ran into one getting DEF buffs from a support unit behind her, and every unit I moused over would be one-shot (in her defense, my team has two air cavalry). Eventually had to use Stahl to whittle her HP down a tiny bit (while he ate a 25 damage counter from her), before Camilla could kill her without dying to a counter attack.

Without Camilla's double-swing, don't think I could have ever killed the Takumi, let alone the other three members of her team.

there's something i need to tell you about takumi

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

AegisP posted:

Takumi is a him.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

there's something i need to tell you about takumi

Oh goddamnit.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Has anyone done the math on how strong the weapon triangle is in this game? It seems to be much more important than it usually is in the main series.

Just anecdotally I agree that it seems a lot rougher, Takumi feels leaps and bounds stronger than any of my other characters primarily because he is neutral to the weapon triangle and still hits everything extremely hard. Also helps that he retaliates in melee as well I guess.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

AegisP posted:

Oh goddamnit.

admittedly he's very pretty

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Brother Entropy posted:

admittedly he's very pretty

pretty lovely!!!!!!!!

(not in stats though dude is a murder train for me)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

AegisP posted:

Oh goddamnit.

It's okay, I thought the same thing until an in-game text said he. At least Wrys will always be my waifu.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
On another note, healers are probably one of the safest characters to leave at 4* because they barely get any skills at 5* worth grabbing and heals are a flat amount.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

ApplesandOranges posted:

On another note, healers are probably one of the safest characters to leave at 4* because they barely get any skills at 5* worth grabbing and heals are a flat amount.

yeah some units get basically Personal weapons at 5*s which is a p big upgrade so those might be first priority. On that note, all 3 starting free story dudes have personal weapons @ 5 star, anna seems specifically powerful with a warp + vantage

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

FYI the monthly quests are definitely worth finishing; even if doing the 5th stratum 10 times is kind of dumb, the rewards increase up to a 3rd (lunatic) level. It's 1/3/5 each for the stamina refill/arena refill/team revive thing/orb in total for the monthly quests, plus a bunch of experience gem quests that seem like less value (ymmv).

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah, I previewed a 5* Azama in the unit promotion window and apparently he gets a total of zero new skills if I promote him, which seems pretty lovely, but I guess it's a balance thing.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Speaking of healers, is there any "best" healer out there? I'm leaning towards swapping Maria out for Wrys once I level him up because Maria's lack of a self heal is kind of a bummer, even if she can heal dudes real good.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Yeah, I previewed a 5* Azama in the unit promotion window and apparently he gets a total of zero new skills if Inpromote him, which seems pretty lovely, but I guess it's a balance thing.

azama gets Threaten Atk at 5*s and thats all. You can check everyone's skill list if you click the magnifying glass while selecting them and then Skill List at the bottom

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Oh that's right, I guess I misread his last skill. Still a pretty minor upgrade overall.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nuebot posted:

Speaking of healers, is there any "best" healer out there? I'm leaning towards swapping Maria out for Wrys once I level him up because Maria's lack of a self heal is kind of a bummer, even if she can heal dudes real good.

Honestly depends on what you want. Azama and Elise can heal themselves when healing others, Serra and Lissa can buff the party's SPD/ATK when they heal. Until we get a full comprehensive list of what everybody learns it's hard to compare.

ShinyDais
Sep 5, 2016

cpaf posted:

Just anecdotally I agree that it seems a lot rougher, Takumi feels leaps and bounds stronger than any of my other characters primarily because he is neutral to the weapon triangle and still hits everything extremely hard. Also helps that he retaliates in melee as well I guess.

The 1-2 counter sounds especially good. My 5* Jakob is a little brick of stats, durable enough to use as bait and either kill things or lets the next person safely finish because of his dagger's -7 Def/Res, but he only attacks at Rng 2. He has Renewal 3 so I can usually let him soak a hit, but if he had 1-2 range counter I think he'd be my strongest unit by far because it seems like positioning and attacking first matter a lot in this game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ShinyDais posted:

The 1-2 counter sounds especially good. My 5* Jakob is a little brick of stats, durable enough to use as bait and either kill things or lets the next person safely finish because of his dagger's -7 Def/Res, but he only attacks at Rng 2. He has Renewal 3 so I can usually let him soak a hit, but if he had 1-2 range counter I think he'd be my strongest unit by far because it seems like positioning and attacking first matter a lot in this game.

Hector also has 1-2 counter. He's beefier than Takumi but slower and less resistant. He's an axe unit though so he has type matchups; Selena in particular gives him a lot of trouble since she's a sword unit and has an Armorslayer.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
After 15 rerolls, finally got a 5*. Takumi.

Not my favourite and no healer was in the other 3* rolls. Should I bite the bullet and keep rerolling?

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

After 15 rerolls, finally got a 5*. Takumi.

Not my favourite and no healer was in the other 3* rolls. Should I bite the bullet and keep rerolling?

I have a feeling he might be the strongest character in the game atm, alongside Lyn, so I wouldn't reroll. Content wont get hard enough for a healer to be essential until you accumulate like 3-4 pentarolls and you'll probably grab a healer in there somewhere.

I'm not even running a healer at the moment either in lunatic story or advanced arena and I'm doing fine. They are extremely good to have but probably a tad overvalued by this thread imo

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

MotU posted:

yeah some units get basically Personal weapons at 5*s which is a p big upgrade so those might be first priority. On that note, all 3 starting free story dudes have personal weapons @ 5 star, anna seems specifically powerful with a warp + vantage

Haha guess how many times you have to level and upgrade the starting units!!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Eh, Anna and Sharena are easy enough to level, though accumulating the needed number of feathers may take a while, so they seem a decent enough investment. It's Alphonse that I can't find any use for. lovely speed and not particularly good HP/Def does not a good melee unit make, and he's got no real support skills either.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

to 20 3 times each then 22,200 feathers each :v:

plus they don't have the 'benefit' of being able to combine dupes into them to make up for lackluster stats!!!

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

cpaf posted:

I have a feeling he might be the strongest character in the game atm, alongside Lyn, so I wouldn't reroll. Content wont get hard enough for a healer to be essential until you accumulate like 3-4 pentarolls and you'll probably grab a healer in there somewhere.

I'm not even running a healer at the moment either in lunatic story or advanced arena and I'm doing fine. They are extremely good to have but probably a tad overvalued by this thread imo

Cool, I'll tag the account to my nintendo one then. Thanks!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Man, I can't think of a single reason to use an armored unit. The higher difficulties is basically a poo poo ton of magic users which negates the whole purpose of a phys tank that hits hard but slow.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

MotU posted:

to 20 3 times each then 22,200 feathers each :v:

plus they don't have the 'benefit' of being able to combine dupes into them to make up for lackluster stats!!!

Hmm, I was under the impression that you only need feathers for 4*-5*. Also (based on checking my own units,) you have to level them to 40, unless Im doing it wrong.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

So mages just use the attack stat?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Hmm, I was under the impression that you only need feathers for 4*-5*. Also (based on checking my own units,) you have to level them to 40, unless Im doing it wrong.

it says level 20 under unlock potential and I can do it with my lvl 20 3* lissa if i had the fethers

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Thinking I might drop Nino for my 4* ninja maid but having a green mage instead of a neutral ranged is probably better overall, even with the ninja's def/res debuff on attack.

Tempted to pull another 1-5 units to try and get some more options but I highly doubt I'm going to get something useful, like a good axe/lance user or any sort of good mounted unit. I have a wyvern rider at 3* and she looks like hot garbage.

Lord Koth posted:

Out of idle curiosity, how does a Nowi with decent stats stand up to Falchion wielders? Fae obviously gets destroyed since she's dealing with triangle disadvantage along with effective weaponry, and Tiki fares poorly as well while sharing the same spot on the triangle. Nowi's a blue though, with triangle advantage, so does it affect things enough to actually make her usable against them?

I don't have, or want, a Nowi, but there are more manaketes we'll get eventually, so happen to be thinking about this in case we get more blue ones eventually.

Unless Nowi has crazy stat growth she's still going to get wrecked by a falchion user.

KnoxZone posted:

I haven't seen all the healers yet, but I would probably say Clarine or Lissa are the best. Clarine can use a full party +4 speed buff every other turn, while Lissa has a +4 attack buff.

Lissa also heals herself in addition to the target, but can't AOE heal your party, which would be much more useful.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Honestly depends on what you want. Azama and Elise can heal themselves when healing others, Serra and Lissa can buff the party's SPD/ATK when they heal. Until we get a full comprehensive list of what everybody learns it's hard to compare.
Azuma also has the DEF to tank a surprising amount of damage. That paired with Threaten Attack means that he'll stay upright but still take enough damage to make Maryr worthwhile (heals 7HP+whatever damage he's taken).

Quick question: does dragon breath attack DEF or RES?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Roger Explosion posted:

Azuma also has the DEF to tank a surprising amount of damage. That paired with Threaten Attack means that he'll stay upright but still take enough damage to make Maryr worthwhile (heals 7HP+whatever damage he's taken).

Quick question: does dragon breath attack DEF or RES?

dragonstone based attacks are Res i am p sure

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

ChronoReverse posted:

Chapter 9's difficulty spikes more than I expected. Still winning but by the skin of my teeth. I think I'm going to do some training to move my characters above level 20.

Yeah, I'm having the same problem. Prior to chapter 9 was really easy, but I'm struggling to beat 9-2. The enemies are so beefy and deal crazy damage to my party of level 20 and 21s, including 5* Marth who still gets owned. Welp. I'll have to farm some or pull a few more 5*s.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
I doubt few are actually paying attention to the story, but even so, don't set your expectations even a little high because the "ending" is a bit of a non-event.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Roger Explosion posted:

I doubt few are actually paying attention to the story, but even so, don't set your expectations even a little high because the "ending" is a bit of a non-event.

that's because they'll add more story later

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i have selena on my team and everyntime i pick a chapter to play she yells LOSER, and i can't say that she's wrong

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

sharrrk posted:

i have selena on my team and everyntime i pick a chapter to play she yells LOSER, and i can't say that she's wrong

extremely jealous

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

:negative: another bad roll, mostly 3* this time. I regret everything.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Are there any other dancers/bards besides Olivia currently? She seems hella good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Roger Explosion posted:

They're adding a new chapter every 2 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

Lissa also heals herself in addition to the target, but can't AOE heal your party, which would be much more useful.

I have an AOE healer but the AOE part of said heal doesn't seem to be actually working. I wonder what's wrong.

sharrrk posted:

Selena's one of my catchup team members and yes. This exactly.