Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

By Ozzie :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Fast Luck posted:

Oh man if Cirie got cute with her vote and Debbie's extra vote changes things...

Yep. What was she doing?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
There's no way this isn't going to be a pagonging.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I still think they were dumb to vote for Ozzy.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

TMMadman posted:

I still think they were dumb to vote for Ozzy.

Nah, Zeke is in no-man's-land now, so he's kind of a wasted boot. Neither alliance even bothered to let him in on their plans and he ended up voting for Aubry of all people

Ozzy gets rid of a member of the opposing alliance in the cold war that everyone knew this merge was building to. Maybe it'd be smarter to have targeted someone like Cirie who is a longer-term threat (and who doesn't feed you), but going for a valuable number seems smart

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Codependent Poster posted:

Yep. What was she doing?
She was getting overconfident and hopefully this puts her back in check because I liked her tonight. She had no idea anyone was voting Ozzy it seems like. I mean, if you're Cirie and you're voting off one of your own in Zeke you probably think the other side isn't gonna be lying about that and passing up the opportunity to take out one of your people. Interestingly Zeke ended up voting alone for Aubry, he is way out in left field now. He went from getting info from Andrea and Cirie to being completely in the dark with that failed move.

It looks like without Cirie getting cute and without Debbie's extra vote it would've been 6-5-1. That means one person voting Zeke instead of Ozzy would've flipped the result, so I don't think Debbie''s extra vote was misplayed too badly. It would've forced a tie though and then who knows which guy goes home but I don't think anyone would go to rocks on that.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

xbilkis posted:

Nah, Zeke is in no-man's-land now, so he's kind of a wasted boot. Neither alliance even bothered to let him in on their plans and he ended up voting for Aubry of all people

Ozzy gets rid of a member of the opposing alliance in the cold war that everyone knew this merge was building to. Maybe it'd be smarter to have targeted someone like Cirie who is a longer-term threat (and who doesn't feed you), but going for a valuable number seems smart

I mean I get that it's a number, but I still think it's strange that they are told 'Hey, Andrea/Cirie are gunning for you and then the vote out Ozzy. I guess he could be considered maybe 3rd in the group, but while he would certainly be dangerous towards the end because he's both physical and well liked, I just don't see him as someone you take out over the larger threats of Cirie/Andrea. Especially since they seem to be a tight pairing like Brad/Sierra.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Shneak posted:

There's no way this isn't going to be a pagonging.

Tai (two idols), Troyzan (one idol), Sierra (legacy advantage), and Debbie (extra vote that's not used) were on the same side. Other side was hosed if it stays that way

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

"Getting cute" with the votes is one of the silliest things that overplayers are prone to doing. Vote for people you want gone. Don't vote for people you want to stay. Voting the way you want, and they lying about it (if that is necessary for some reason) is almost always going to be better than voting for someone strictly so the vote numbers look a certain way, because it can end up screwing you in a game when everyone is potentially lying.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Tai (two idols), Troyzan (one idol), Sierra (legacy advantage), and Debbie (extra vote that's not used) were on the same side. Other side was hosed if it stays that way

You can't really trust Tai, though. Eventually he'll say something that will make his own alliance want to get rid of him and that'll be that.

Zeke also just hosed his game. All because he wanted to make a big move and take control. Now he's way on the outs.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Cirie's rogue Sierra vote was probably a mistake, but to play devil's advocate: since she didn't know about Debbie's extra vote, if she had any sense that it wasn't going to be a unanimous Zeke vote after all, then the possibility of a 6-6 tie was high, which could have very well gone to rocks.

It's still probably a mistake because (1) with the high possibility of Zeke also casting a rogue vote, she very well could have accidentally triggered a 5-5-1-1 tie, (2) *she* could have been voted out in that scenario by a 6-5-1 vote if the 6 were targeting her, and (3) she did seem completely blindsided and didn't seem to know the vote would be that close.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, i think its possible Cirie was worried about a tie since she knew Zeke had told Sierra's crew and the whole thing was in chaos. And with the new tie rules Cirie might have just said "gently caress it, if Ozzy goes, whatever, I don't want to risk rocks." Also, apparently Ozzy's first instinct not to trust Cirie was the right one.

Still. Cirie, Zeke, Andrea... you got outplayed by Debbie. I hope you're happy about that.

Zeke's dumb and he's making the exact same mistake he made last time. He just can't play this game because you can't be that arrogant and that much of a control freak. At some point you have to work with other players and they pick your shots. You can't just freak out at the first sign that someone else has power and try and throw the whole game upside down to take them out immediately. Even if this had worked he would have just repeated his David mistake and made himself a top threat way too early. And the worst part is, he knew it was a mistake and explained why and he still did it.

Andrea and Sierra are both way too high on their own power too. I thought Brad would be the person doing that this early (and Zeke, so no surprise there) so kudos for him for seemingly laying back a little. At least more than Sierra. And I can't tell if Aubry is playing it smart by laying back, or if like someone joked/said she has Survivor PTSD this time and is playing timid.

I feel bad for Hali. She's not a good player and she went out at least in part because she was too passive. But she went out because everyone else just took the easy way out instead of doing anything risky. For all the talk of "gamechangers" most of these people are playing pretty timid. Its like they're either overplaying like Zeke, Andrea, and Sierra or underplaying. And then whatever Cirie's doing.

And ugh, Debbie. Now she's going to be all arrogant. Hopefully that takes her out, but I doubt it since she's such an obviously goat. Phillip Sheppard 2.0.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

I don't know what Cirie is doing. I kind of only half watched the second episode. Was Zeke led to believe Aubry was the target? I know he broke off because he felt like Cirie and Andrea were in charge of their group. I don't know why Andrea got rude about him during her vote.

Alliances, as I understand them.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 20, 2017

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

as strange as it sounds, the way this episode came off, i really like aubry's chances moving forward. debbie i think has to get dragged to the end at this point and i don't see her winning a single vote. cirie looks good too but that was a dumb hinky vote to throw.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I'd be surprised if Cirie roping in Michaela didn't pay some dividends in the future based on the attention it got in this episode, but I don't really see an opening to crack the larger alliance.

I guess Tai, Debbie and Sarah are all unstable enough to open one up eventually, but it'd be weird if they didn't take the opportunity to at least get rid of Cirie and significantly weaken the minority alliance first

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I think the Brad/Sierra/Troyzan/Tai core is pretty solid and I don't see Debbie leaving them either. She really seems to have come around on Brad.

The most surprising shakeup is that Aubry joined the Andrea/Cirie/Michaela group when Zeke broke away. I think all five of them are going to be picked off and should be for not being a cohesive group.

Wizardryo
Jul 23, 2002

"Finally! A deep throat to call my own!"
Logically, Cirie should not be going any further than a straight Pagonging at this point but I... kinda love that she's getting all this airtime now that she's actually in the firing line for the first time all season? It's the same reason why Tina would have romped in BvV1 had she gotten that first post-merge vote with Aras going her way– and why she's one of the more underrated Survivor winners, haters be damned.

Common sense points to either a Culpepper or Sierra win (or, heaven forbid, Sarah) but Cirie is also filling the narrator void that Sandra left, which is either a good sign or an awful one, in terms of her longevity in the game. Ozzy and JT all season never got the amount of exposition screentime she did in this episode.

When we talk about how much luck plays into Survivor, Cirie is a shining example– there's no reason why she, someone who was scared of leaves on her first season and almost got voted off first on Exile Island, should have survived her first tribal council. And, yet, here she is in a post-merge game having survived going to a pre-merge Tribal Council in the first place.

(:eng101: Cirie should've won Micronesia but got screwed over with a surprise Final 2. Instead, Parvati gets all the credit. She would've also won Exile Island if not for Terry with his superpowered HII.)

Wizardryo fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 20, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sierra, Brad, Troyzan, and Tai seem set but Debbie and Sarah seem like wildcards. And Tai is Tai so who knows what he'll do.

I'd say that Andrea and Cirie are tight and through them Michaela and maybe Aubry, but its Cirie so she'll probably toss any of them to the wolves if it suits them. And I'd guess Aubry is self serving enough to not go down with the ship and just go to safe numbers. Andrea could do the same but Zeke seemed to kind of screw her over in that regard so she's probably in trouble.

My guess is Sarah and Debbie won't be comfortable being on the rear end end of the Sierra/Culpepper alliance so they'll try and do something about that sooner rather than later. I could see Tai getting targeted or Troyzan just being an easy soldier to pick off. Or just straight after Culpepper maybe.

I'd guess Zeke is powerless enough now to not really be able to do anything on his own.

My best guess as who goes next? Culpepper to bust up Sierra's alliance.

Zesty posted:

I don't know what Cirie is doing. I kind of only half watched the second episode. Was Zeke led to believe Aubry was the target? I know he broke off because he felt like Cirie and Andrea were in charge of their group. I don't know why Andrea got rude about him during her vote.

Yeah, Zeke was totally out of the loop after the stunt he pulled. Sierra told him they were voting for Aubry to throw him off because she (like everyone else) didn't trust him anymore.

Andrea was personally hurt that Zeke backstabbed and targeted her out of nowhere. Her reaction was a little over the top but like, it was also kind of justified because Zeke just randomly decided to stab all his allies in the back because he wasn't their king. Which, honestly, is kind of a fair reason to be all "gently caress you, Zeke, you suck at this game."

No idea what Cirie was doing but the two leading possibilities seem to be that she either 1) thought the vote for Zeke was safe and she just threw a chaos vote for the gently caress of it or 2) she knew the vote was a toss up and didn't want to risk a tie that led to rock draws, so she threw her vote away to make sure someone would go home besides her.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I hope this Michaela Cirie alliance sticks. The scenes with those two were the best.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Zesty posted:

I don't know why Andrea got rude about him during her vote.

Alliances, as I understand them.

I think that chart is pretty good. I don't know why Aubry ended up on that side but if she stays there, if Zeke goes crawling back to Andrea and Cirie, and if Sarah comes back to them, they could get the numbers advantage. I remember Sarah was listed as part of the alliance with those people before everything went haywire.

Andrea was mad at Zeke because he tried to vote her out! Also they knew each other even before the game and even before Zeke's season. They played an amateur game of Survivor in Brooklyn which Andrea won, which honestly I think is one of the reasons why Zeke couldn't sit still and let her run things this episode, because he's lost to her before. But so she saw it as a friend outside the game and ally inside the game betraying her for god knows what reason. Plus right after the emotional Varner bullshit.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 20, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm glad that we've moved past the emotional Varner-Zeke bombshell of last week and back to revealing why I don't like Zeke as a player. He has control issues and is too eager to be the one to pull the trigger. You gotta learn how to stay under the radar.

I'd say hopefully he learns why he needs to lay low and just be a number sometimes... but probably not.

So could things swing back in Cirie's favour next week? If Sarah and Zeke pull Cirie/Michaela/Andrea, then that's 5v6. They'd need to pull in one more. I don't see Tai swaying from Brad, and I don't see Brad swaying from Sierra. Sierra might shift from Brad, but it's too early for her to do so. Debbie could go whichever way, but relying on Debbie as a swing is... unreliable at best. You could pull Aubry. But I honestly have no idea where Aubry is sitting right now.

But if anyone can swing things, it's Cirie.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

There are so many wild card players left that I'm not so sure this will be a straight up Pagonging.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I want Cirie and Michaela to make it to the end with Cirie teaching Michaela all about the dark side of survivor and playing from the shadows and at FTC Michaela turns heel on Cirie and takes credit for everything and wins and Cirie would nod approvingly

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Jesus Christ, Ulong posing five immunity challenges in a rowmis brutal. I don't geht how they are decent at the reward challenges, but completely poo poo the bed when it comes to impunity.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Capsaicin posted:

I want Cirie and Michaela to make it to the end with Cirie teaching Michaela all about the dark side of survivor and playing from the shadows and at FTC Michaela turns heel on Cirie and takes credit for everything and wins and Cirie would nod approvingly

So the way Amazon should have ended.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

lmao zeke you dummy

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Eezee posted:

Jesus Christ, Ulong posing five immunity challenges in a rowmis brutal. I don't geht how they are decent at the reward challenges, but completely poo poo the bed when it comes to impunity.

Koror is playing their weaker players for reward, and their stronger ones for immunity.
Usually.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

also: what is up with everybody deciding to make a Move at 12

do it at 13!!!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well there's always hope for #5 Ozzy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ozzy can never and will never win Survivor because he's such an inhuman god at the island stuff and challenges that everyone is just kind of in awe of him until it occurs to them that they can just vote him out so he doesn't win. And he's too in awe of himself to ever like build an alliance or plan to get around that.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean, Mike Holloway kind of did the Ozzy strategy of 'win all the immunities' and won.

But yeah, big physical dudes are just kind of left in the dust in new age Survivor, like Joe Anglim. I mean Ken from MvG had a similar game and was just seen as a goat, whereas Ozzy is somehow seen as a giant threat despite the fact that he doesn't actually make many big moves (aside from offering to go to Redemption Island with a subpar acting performance).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, its a combination of Ozzy having this larger than life aura (in part because of how many times he's played, in part because his birth name is Mowgli) that puts him above people like Malcolm, Joe, or Ken and him just being too aloof and high on himself to ever really strategize and build a gameplan to survive the game. Ozzy's basically a throwback player to the "old" Survivor when you'd get lots of people who loved the challenge and island stuff but didn't really play the game.

Mike won out but he only did that after he hosed up his strategy and gave himself no other option. Ozzy just tries to do that from the start and crosses his fingers that his allies don't all backstab him when he finishes 2nd in immunity instead of 1st.

edit:
I mean, this episode basically summed up the Ozzy experience perfectly. He plays an immunity challenge he's won twice and seems unbeatable at. People like Michaela just surrender the challenge to him out of respect and Troyzan says "you're amazing" as he smugly smiles in agreement. Tai beats him after a heroic battle and a bunch of people say "hey, lets vote him out." He never sees it coming and leaves giving everyone a disappointed look and telling them they won't get any more fish.

It was as much of a eulogy episode for Ozzy as the Sandra one was.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 20, 2017

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Nothing defines that he's too old school survivor quite like saying they need to keep him because he'll go fishing and feed them.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
You'll never see me complaining about an episode where Ozzy gets voted out. They let his insufferable douchenozzle side shine through just enough; he definitely wasn't classy about that exit.

I also approve of Debbie's use of that dumb advantage. Getting it out of the way early, and for a vote that establishes her alliance's position is perfectly valid. It's still a dumb advantage, but didn't the person who had it get voted out the night they went to use it both times we've seen it before?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Getting rid of an advantage early is only useful when people know you have it.

Debbie wasn't in trouble. Her alliance wasn't even in trouble.

Propaganda Machine posted:

It's still a dumb advantage, but didn't the person who had it get voted out the night they went to use it both times we've seen it before?

Dan and Stephen did. But Tai got one in Kaoh Rong. It didn't do anything useful though. The vote went 4-2-1 where the two were Tai's votes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Debbie kept up the tradition of using that power uselessly, but she wasn't really wrong in her reasoning. If Sarah had chosen to vote out Zeke then Debbie's second vote would have forced a tie. You could debate whether it was worth using an advantage like that to possibly force a tie, but if Debbie saw it as a key vote then it might have been worth it.

I mean, I don't think it was worth it since Debbie (like Zeke) seemed to kind of just decide to make a big move to try and take control just because instead of having a bigger plan for it. But there was logic in it.

At the very least, it actually COULD have been a meaningful vote which sets it aside from the last three players.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Zesty posted:

Getting rid of an advantage early is only useful when people know you have it.

Debbie wasn't in trouble. Her alliance wasn't even in trouble.

I had to giggle, because Sarah put herself in the same position she got voted out from last time. From Debbie's point of view there was enough at stake and not enough certainty in the numbers to justify the extra core. Besides, as the numbers get lower it gets easier to vote yourself out with it.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I wish Michaela or someone would have just said "I don't think the producers will let us die of starvation out here, Ozzy"

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I can't remember who said it, but someone mentioned that they'll just deal with having no fish for a few more days and still be able to win a million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I've said it many times that I actually really preferred the old Survivor and that kind of stuff and I kind of like players like Rupert and Ozzy who really excel at that stuff (even if they can be cocky douches about it). I think the game is more interesting if its got an element of that in play along with the social and strategic stuff. An island of game bots tends to leave me cold.

But that's the way the game has gone so its on Ozzy for not recognizing that and adjusting. You play with the rules you start the game with.

• Locked thread