Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Oh, hey, I'm up to something. Potentially something bad in the future.

Edit: update last page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.
By Geshud, did the entire civilization come to fight?

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

Oh boy, another flood of elves. This, and the inevitable waves of undead, can only be good for the mental health of the fort.

EDIT: Also props to these last two overseers, the updates have been very fun to read.

GruntMountain fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 3, 2019

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

idhrendur posted:

Oh, hey, I'm up to something. Potentially something bad in the future.

Edit: update last page

You're probably going to go insane soon, which would be super bad as you are one of only two smiths we have with any skill whatsoever.

Not sure how much I can really do about it though. The fort's a huge mess in many ways, any ideas I have for improving moods (making clothes, reassigning nicer bedrooms now some are vacant, the mist generator) is hampered by the absolutely bonkers layout and me being way out of practice with the game (can't find the dang workshops, bedrooms are spread out all over, I am bad at the game).

stratego
May 6, 2007

IPA Regulations posted:

Hematite 574

As well as Volmarias II, we have Dirt5o8 and stratego outside.

Oh nooooo....

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

stratego posted:

Oh nooooo....

:iit:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

IPA Regulations posted:

I am so tired of listening to some of these dwarves whine in the most piteous way. If the corpse of your loved one under the grate in the main hallway is so bothersome why not take some initiative and throw it into the magma like I ordered 2 weeks ago?

And now it's stink is choking everyone, so really your family has a lot to answer for.

:hmmyes:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Is it possible to run out of elves in the game world?

Why do they hate us so much, anyway?

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

HardDiskD posted:

Why do they hate us so much, anyway?

It is very possible to run out of any population in the game world, even dwarves. (Though if they're considered extinct, and dwarves are the only civ you have set up to play, it'll spawn a few more in.) This game's world has nearly run kobolds to extinction with there being about 13 left when I last checked an in-game year ago.

As for why they hate us, no idea. Usually they attack you for cutting down trees and digging into the ground, but it also could be that the factions are at long war and we're suffering from them deciding to up and attack our fortress.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Any number of reasons could be why we're at war. The most typical is 'we told them to gently caress themselves for telling us to stop chopping trees' but sometimes its proximity to their lands, sometimes its they declared war on the civilization we're from, we could have let a diplomat die at some point. (doesn't matter if it's not our fault. We're held responsible)

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

HardDiskD posted:

The Flying Twybil posted:

By Geshud, did the entire civilization come to fight?

As far as I know, while populations of settlements can be reduced by us attacking them, and size of armies attacking us is decided by the health of nearby allied settlements, the actual armies themselves are created out of thin air apart from the leaders. The regular soldiers attacking us aren't actually deducted from any settlements... I think.

So it doesn't really matter how many we kill that come to siege us, as long as a single settlement exists they will always have more armies.

As to the WHY, they might have always been at war with us, or they might have been raided by a toddler dictator in search of books, or they might have sent a diplomat that got eaten by zombies or goblins and blamed us. :iiam:

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I'm 99.99% that nameless soldiers have been deducted from the world population for several versions now, and the only time anything's created out of thin air is the 7 initial dwarves for a new fort.

That said, worldgen populations are large enough that depleting them entirely through the attackers against one fort is nearly impossible. Extinction pretty much requires worldgen events or a very patient genocidal trip through Adventurer Mode.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Gnoman posted:

I'm 99.99% that nameless soldiers have been deducted from the world population for several versions now, and the only time anything's created out of thin air is the 7 initial dwarves for a new fort.

That is actually super neato. I must go read the more recent changelogs.

This might not be the easiest fort to play but I'm definitely falling down the dwarf fortress rabbit hole again. This is maybe the only game I play where hours pass like minutes - it's actually weird some times. You start out trying to find where the hell you put that clothier workshop, and end up 4 hours later with plans laid for a self cleaning magma trap. I love it!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Black Robe posted:

Some of the longer running ones had their own sites, I think Bronzestabbed and Gemclod used to but I'm not sure they exist any more. Matul Remrit is on the archives anyway but also still has its own site. I have forums archives so I just read them on here; not all the images work any more but it's a DF thread, the graphics are irrelevant.

I think Matul Remrit and Bronzestabbed were the ones I was having trouble finding, and Bronzestabbed just never got archived I don't think.

Believe this is all of 'em if anyone wants the list; roughly in chronological order.

https://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/
https://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Headshoots/
https://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Syrupleaf/
http://gregshort.net/goondorfs/gemclod/
https://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Matul-Remrit/
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3492084&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
9th Hematite, 574 - Histories of Valleysilences

It's already been noted elsewhere in the story of Valleysilences that the great silver colossus whos mighty appendage spelled doom for any who passed under it without our leave - had great flaws in its construction. The lever to unleash the statue's wrath could only be accessed via a stairway at the colossus' feet, which in turn could only be accessed from outside the fortress - a place that now seethed with elves on the warpath.

It may also be unclear that the main entryway to the fortress had been rendered useless for some time. The pathway broken and impassable to friend or foe, due to a ditch sunk through it that led to a hastily improvised magma trap in the old tavern.

Thus when the elves were sighted near an open gateway - it was in fact a secondary gateway to the south. One which - in homage to the design of the colossus - had its controls built beside the gate itself, in full view of any attackers outside. Combined with scores of elves - far too many for our battered military to fight - appearing from undergrowth on our doorstep every second, it seemed the elves were poised to blunder into taking control of our entire defences in the most idiotic way possible with little to no resistance... save what the 3 dwarves locked outside could muster.

Meanwhile down below this ugly scene was a narrow winding corridor doubtless designed to force invaders into single file as a last ditch defence - terminating in a single silver door. Which, like every other door in the fortress leading outside, is hastily locked after the magnitude of the elf incursion becomes apparent.

All doors that is, except the hatch leading into the fort from the old trap tavern. It's hoped to offer those outside a way in - the three dwarves Volmarias II, stratego, and Dirt5o8. But someone has to pull the lever.

And so the scene is set. The choice rests on these 3 dwarves. The lever of the colossus must be reached ere the invaders take control of it completely - and there is still a chance of salvation, albeit a small one....

Volmarias II, the first to see the elves and closest to the open gate, takes option C and runs off to the plains, hotly pursued by the elven vanguard.
stratego and Dirtso8 meanwhile run to the north foot of the Colossus, Dirtso8 diving into the trench, while stratego ascends leg of the Colossus with grim purpose...

Coce Varanoeriya - "Dashedhail" in the uncouth human tongue - crept to a halt near the foot of the slope and surveyed the dead wasteland in front of him, allowing his gaze to linger a moment on the colossal silver edifice standing astride the enormous burnt patch of roadway to the north. One of their foul gods? He wrinkled his nose. The dwarves had wrought a truly gruesome wound upon the world in this festering volcano valley. The stench of it had seared their nostrils many miles before they had even caught sight of it.

Looking back up the slope from where he had come, Coce caught only the briefest glimpses of movement coming down through the ashen scrub – the furtive advance of a lithe bowman here, the stripe of a war tiger there. Like ghosts - though he could not see them he knew they were there, moving purposefully and silently down the volcano slopes to his position.

It was exhilarating - he had never been part of a Hunt so large. The stunted wretches of this valley - like any sickly prey - were past due for a culling. The misery and filth they lived in made that clear. That alone was enough reason for Coce - but rumours of the glittering riches mindlessly hoarded by the dwarves here, weakened though they were by war and plague, had moved just about every elf he knew to take up arms and put them out of their misery.

As he moved down off the slope and turned north to survey the front of the fortress, Coce smiled at the cries of a dwarf somewhere near the roadway, caught by some of his companions in an advance scouting party.

He could hear they were having some sport with the creature, goading it and jabbing its squealing form over and over with their wooden spears and swords as its cries grew weaker. Trying to see what fight it had in it - no doubt about it, their blood was up!

The first kill was claimed. The Hunt was on! Not a moment too soon. They’d seen and heard little of the pitiful creatures so far. The few seen outside had disappeared under the feet of their obscene silver god when the alarm was raised, while the rest cowered in the hillside. The dying dwarf had grown quiet. Now the valley held the unnatural silence that only comes when 200 elven warriors take position behind every rock and branch.

??th Hematite 574
Bastard elves everywhere... saw our 3 run for it. stratego went up, Dirt5o8 down. Volmarias II is gone. He did not go well.

Brother Buer has been standing looking at the locked silver door for 3 days. He was on his way out on his mission just before we locked the door. Nobody can get him to move or speak, he even refuses to drink. Nobody is saying it but we know he only wishes for one thing... very well.

Farewell, Brother! Go with Geshud!

In that silence, Coce’s keen ears heard clearly the metallic clang of a dwarven door opening, deep in the mountainside. His eyes fixed upon the large iron gate which lay open, almost exactly where Coce had just come down from. In the gloom within he spotted where the noise had come from, a small open stairway down. What providence - a way in! Left foolishly open. The stunted ones made it too easy. He smiled again, gesturing those nearby to follow him while the main body of elves gravitated towards road where the other dwarf had been caught.

Two bow elfs nocked arrows silently as they emerged from cover in practiced motions. A beastmaster jogged down to join Coce from the flank, urging her group of war horses forward into the nook. The thought of these noble animals soon to be trampling the filthy stunted ones inside the fort warmed Coce's heart.

His smile faltered as he crossed the gate, his silken boots slipping strangely while the acrid stench reached a crescendo. He gagged, realizing the gate and everything around it was coated in vomit. The elves around him began to mutter in disgust but he silenced them. He could make out heavy footsteps approaching below – something was coming. With a flourish of his elegant wooden sword, he indicated the downward stairway before them, then held his finger to his lips with a smile. The second kill would be theirs! The party advanced, weapons readied, and the beastmaster gave the lead horse a gentle shove so that it edged uncertainly down the stairwell, then at her command bolted down the hallway with a loud whinny. It would make the perfect distraction...

But... this was wrong, all wrong. Coce glanced around at his party. Behind them in the distance there was a low metallic grumbling from the direction of the silver god, mixed with thin screams. Elvish screams.

Now there was a new stench on the breeze - one of cooked flesh and molten rock. He could feel the unease rising all around him as they inched forward into the stinking gloom. In front of him, another horse clattered clumsily down the stairs towards the approaching footsteps which were growing closer with each heartbeat. Coce turned his full attention back to the dark stairwell just in time to see a fresh splash of gore wash across the top step, followed by a dark wet object sent flying back up through the hole, causing the animals to start and eliciting a yelp of surprise from the elves. It took him a moment to realise the projectile had been the horse’s severed head.

“Isha’s teeth…” he hissed as the mutilated body of the horse followed, landing heavily before them. It looked like it had been set upon by wolves. Steel wolves. And behind it was the most horrific sight he had ever seen: a fully armed and armored dwarf of Valleysilences erupting from the stairwell amongst the rest of the horses, coated in viscera and laying about it with its cruel metal weapon.

It took only a heartbeat to turn the beautiful creatures around it into a crimson horror of severed limbs and arterial spray. The elves behind recoiled and wavered. The horses that still had heads were screaming, fit to bolt.

Coce was opening his mouth to shout something – anything – to bolster their courage, when Brother Buer’s steel battleaxe severed his sword arm at the elbow, allowing his forearm to plop wetly into a puddle of vomit. Blood began to gout as Coce worked his mouth soundlessly.

The dwarf did not even stop to finish him - it paused only to spit a gob of fresh vomit onto the gate before raising its stout iron shield and charging stoically out into the sunlight and a hail of desperate arrows.

Then the Dying began.

Brother Buer makes the elves an offer they cannot refuse, with velocity.

Anonymous account from the battlements of Valleysilences - as recorded by a visiting human scholar:

30th Hematite 574

Ho ho ho. Got them good, we did. They did not think that just 3 dwarves caught with their pants down would put up much of a fight... but here we are. Let me tell you, there is no finer smell than burning elf in the morning. All that silly wooden gear of theirs really goes up a treat. Shame we won't be able to recover their socks though, they know how to make a nice cushy silk blend, they do. The knife-ear pricks.

So, Brother Buer we could hear off to the left, making a big mess of them's that tried the side door. We think they set tigers on him in the end. Not the way I'd choose to go personally, but that fellow looked ready to be on his way out of here, one way or another.

Meanwhile stratego - praise be to Geshud - made it to the colossus lever. How we cheered! And he pulled that lever til he drat well couldn't no more. We thought maybe if he stayed up there out of sight pulling the drat thing that the elves might not realise he was up there. But he yelled over soon enough that they'd climbed up and one of the bastards shot him right through the hand while he was going for the lever again.

We could still hear him for a bit... we reckon he led them on a merry chase around the thing - bolting from the lever room as the elves burst in...

Hiding in one of the statues arms...

Before being discovered and made to flee again under the blows of their foolish wooden ornaments they call weapons (more on this in a second lad. You'll love this!), and they finally cornered him again in the lever room.

Bless him - he left the lever open. The sight of a magmafall parting the panicked elven horde is not one I'll soon forget. The one or two standing under it initially go up like match-heads, and the rest soon learn to steer clear...

But now here's a thing about elven weapons. Rubbish. They're made of wood - no weight, no cutting power. Good for skewering wild animals or the occasional dwarf they catch tired or unawares, but no good for fighting battles. For those poor bastards they catch, it means a harder death...

But now when it comes to the little peculiarities of our valley here, it puts them weak livered treefriends at a wee disadvantage - they're not at all suited for lopping off heads or smashing skulls like the good, honest, METAL weapons of dwarfdom.

Cos it's not long til Volmarias II, Brother Buer, stratego, and all the cursed elf-folk they slew are back up and at it again - killing anything they can get their hands on. And more and more of the bloody glade prancers close in, not comprehending what is happening with these dwarves who refuse to die, and their friends now slowly turning on them. Glorious.

Yup, it won't be long til they're all dead I reckon. Will take a bit of cleaning up to do, but give me walking corpses over them smug, spider-limbed leaf-fanciers any day.

Even better, the ones beating on Volmarias II's corpse don't even notice the magma fires creep ever closer. It ends up consuming them. Rest well, dwarf of Valleysilences!

And then, we ... ah, what's that? What happened to the third dwarf that was outside, Dirt5o8? I'm sure you're thinking he's smoke, or undead at this point, right? Ah well, now here's the thing. And let me tell you, this next part even I have trouble believing it...

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 6, 2019

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Well, it looks like whatever random defenses I made helped in the end. I really should've replaced that door with another drawbridge. Bridges are all the rage these days.

Also I never thought the treefolk would take to the term "war horse" so literally.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Hahahahah, man, your writing is good! But yeah, gently caress those smug dick elves.

Watching them go up in flames is a joy.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Clever writing, and a glorious battle.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Also I never thought the treefolk would take to the term "war horse" so literally.

They also brought war mandrills. I had to Google it. :iit:

I had lots of chances to fix the defences outside properly but instead only succeeded in making a permanent corpse display in the main hall, I also couldn't figure out the trench out front at all so I didn't realise it wasn't a secure path to the colossus. It was a big moment realising it

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 5, 2019

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

I think mandrills make good instrument pieces, if I remember correctly. Still, :iit:

It took me forever to figure out what the heck is up with the trench when I started. Unfortunately, there is no safe path to the colossus as I was running out of time to install more bridges. You can get into either leg, but it still opens up a pathway for the enemy.

...It's not the best security system, I'll admit. I did what I could while more than half the dwarves were either moping or eating/drinking/sleeping. Making the second lava trap out of the magma forge supply was just a last ditch effort to try and clear the tallfolk out of the halls, but it made a new security flaw I at least managed to patch up. Digging a new path to the lavacock didn't help either, but I had to.

Bridges can only fix so much, unfortunately. :negative:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Well, that was at least a particularly metal way to go out.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
That was a good update. You're good at writing.

stratego
May 6, 2007

I was a cook.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

stratego posted:

I was a cook.

And you cooked several hundred elves.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

PurpleXVI posted:

Hahahahah, man, your writing is good! But yeah, gently caress those smug dick elves.

idhrendur posted:

Clever writing, and a glorious battle.

Drakenel posted:

That was a good update. You're good at writing.

Thank you! It was fun to write. Dwarf Fortress is really just a story machine at the end of the day - all the stuff I wrote actually happened or as near as I can tell... I forgot to add the pic of stratego getting bullseye'd in the hand by the first elf up the stairs as he was pulling the lever (I'll edit it in):

Nothing was made from whole cloth. If you look at the gif of Brother Buer coming up the stairs, you'll see a horse's body part preceeding him, followed by an entire horse corpse. These scenes are just so drat fun to imagine!

I did go a bit overboard with taking screenshots which is part of the reason it took a long time to put the update together, because sorting them was a big mess. And we're still not through this month. I haven't actually played the game in over a week, but still have stuff to write up. I know I said it before but I'll be trying to make things more concise going forward, but dammit if writing about burning idiot elves ain't right then I don't wanna be.

stratego
May 6, 2007

I must withdraw! ( Until I get re-dwarfed )

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What the gently caress Brother Buer

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'll take good content over speed of updates any day. Keep up the great writing, IPA!

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

neogeo0823 posted:

I'll take good content over speed of updates any day. Keep up the great writing, IPA!

I'll second this! I did what I could while I was overseer, but I've never fancied myself that great a writer. This stuff's pretty drat good, and like you said, at the end of the day Dwarf Fortress is a story generator.

Hell, I'd be happy just to see this cursed place make it past New Years. The world's tried to destroy it more than once, but it refuses to go down. It's a guessing game as to what will drive it to the inevitable end.

I'm still waiting for a syndrome coated weapon factory, but a suitable forgotten beast hasn't arrived yet. Those have always sounded real fun, especially how easy it is for it to go wrong.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

If we're still going for 'dumb weapons' I remember one of the old forts had that 'soulforge' idea, basically throw someone's body into a tile of water, pour magma over it and turn the resulting obsidian into a short sword.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'll second this! I did what I could while I was overseer, but I've never fancied myself that great a writer. This stuff's pretty drat good, and like you said, at the end of the day Dwarf Fortress is a story generator.
You're doing pretty well for yourself over in the Fallout 4 LP, and that's not even your thread.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Drakenel posted:

If we're still going for 'dumb weapons' I remember one of the old forts had that 'soulforge' idea, basically throw someone's body into a tile of water, pour magma over it and turn the resulting obsidian into a short sword.

Now that's some hardcore dwarfiness right there. Every blade in the name of Armok and the blood of the mountain, as it should be, and also :iit:

Syndrome weapons usually end in the dwarves poisoning themselves because they'll never wear proper protection when they really should. Dwarves are highly concerned with socks, but never with proper hand coverage. The pains you'll go through for a strong military.

Commander Keene posted:

You're doing pretty well for yourself over in the Fallout 4 LP, and that's not even your thread.

You see, it would be my thread if it wasn't for those meddling kids.

...Jokes aside and truth be told, I kind of felt like I was hijacking the thread at first. Folks seemed to like it, so I kept up with it.

I've just never really thought much or highly about my writing. I was really just extending the initial buddy cop movie joke I made there, and I guess it became a thing. I used to do some writing years back, but I suppose I gave up on it at some point to pursue...something else, I guess.

Thanks for saying that though. It's been a rough night.

I don't want to drag this thread off topic with stuff from another thread, so I'll leave it there.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Finally caught up with this thread again and it's hard to imagine the sheer horror that is the entrance to the fort right now :stare:

Anyway I think I last saw my dwarf in the list of ghosts during Sankis' turn so feel free to re-dorf me!

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
"Fate of Dirt5o8" - Zulban Ablegigin, IPA Regulations IV

Dirt five-oh-eight was no dwarf of import
She'd toiled in the fields, now was hunted for sport.

But swift is her journey from this dark earthen place
For she dodges an elf, out into open space.

Anonymous account from the battlements of Valleysilences - as recorded by a visiting human scholar: (cont'd)

.. aye, so wouldn't you know it, we're there, watching from up top. Listening to those elves screamin' and the zombies going to work.

We heard fighting going on in the lever room of the colossus for about a week after the elves that still could hitched up their silken britches and ran. Takes a long time for the amount of elves as we saw going in there to die, I guess.

Course we can't see into the colossus, so we don't know for sure. But considering we ain't heard or seen anything from stratego (nor seen any bastard elves coming back out of the thing), we can assume it ain't a pretty picture in there at this stage.

Eventually things get quiet again - we assume everythin' outside is dead by now.

And all through it, of course, we're waitin' to hear Dirt5o8 coming through that tavern hatch we'd left open for them as were caught outside. We'd seen her running down into the trench early, headed straight for the hatch. Looked promising. But as it turns out, she was foiled by big ol' puddle of magma, still glowin' red, blocking the path.

And the elves, them fleet-footed monkey-tamin' maggots, were right on her heels. We saw about half a dozen of them go in after her, from both sides. We thought for sure she's a corpse, right?

But now I know you're thinking, "well, how'd ya know she got trapped by the magma puddle, if it was underground?"

Well, lad - she told us... after she got back in. And not by leaping a magma puddle, or through a half dozen dead elves (more's the pity)... nah. Through the floor.

Ya see as it turns out, Dirt5o8 found herself a lil shortcut, completely by accident I reckon, while dodging the skinny shits and their damned animals.

Wasn't exactly a gracious landing, mind. She fell about 10 levels into the bloody caverns. Took a while to get the story out of her, on account of she bit her own tongue straight out of her head. And I'm amazed she could even drag herself in, what with her foot being all split like a dry log 'n' all.

But still, she's alive. And also solved the mystery of the human soldier in the cage near where she landed down there - the big bastard musta fell in during the last siege.

Course, how and why there's a big old hole punched right down from the outside into our so-called fortress' bloody gonads is another question altogether. Any halfway decent climber'd be down there in half a second - god knows Dirt5o8 wasn't much of one, and she did it.

But one thing at a time. We survived the month, and we got a chance now to patch up... and figure out how to take back our bloody colossus, and the gate house too.

Them's as call the shots round here, reckon it's high time for a Plan.

After all, it ain't right we leave them dwarves out there shambling around. Least of all when if they brought perfectly good steel with them.

And ya ask me, the only thing better than taking a pair of fresh silk socks off a dead elf, is when them dead elf socks walk themselves right over to ya....

30th Hematite, 574 - Histories of Valleysilences

And though the failed siege of the elves was the dominating event this month, plenty and sundry happenings of note transpired within.

Morale continued at an all time low. SadKingBilly and TheBible are the latest to express their discontent through violence.

While some of the discontent could be written off as dwarves being dwarves - such as SadKingBilly's frank exchange of views with an elvish poet who deigned to open their mouth in the tavern during the siege:

In other cases, TheBible acts out destroying a bridge, something the fortress at the time was depending on for its very survival.

Thankfully this bridge was merely covering a single brewery. Which, while a noble endeavour to be sure, is not quite as critical as the ones (supposedly) holding back - for instance - a dragon, or a siege of 200 elves.

Nevertheless, the law must be upheld.

SadKingBilly gets jail for the unscheduled elf bashing.

While TheBible gets a patented TheCog beatdown, putting him in the hospital.

While this seemed genuinely perfectly fair to just about everyone in the fort barring theoretically the elf poet, this was the second time wildly disparate punishments were meted out by the captain. She doubtless felt she was the subject of some whisperings of favouritism and corruption.

But she was not about to let such things dull her keen sense of justice. She dealt with the situation swiftly, as only she could. By going back to the jail and beating SadKingBilly savagely on a second charge.

They both die in the hospital shortly thereafter, leaving everyone thoroughly convinced of TheCog's impartiality and fairness - nary a whispering to be heard.

You may think the siege and the showing of stong policing may have discouraged those outsiders amongst us in the fortress, but no! Two petitions for citizenship come this month - one as the first elves began to burn outside, the second just as the death of the two troublemakers becomes public.

And another for long term residency.

"These are people who have seen what we have to offer and like it! Welcome, please inter a corpse on your way to your room."

For the urgency behind moving the Habeasdorkus III's corpse under the hall grate has passed from purely emotional...

"Yes, yes RBA Starblade II. Any day now."

...to metaphysical practicality, as now those who pass by see that poor dwarf's restless shade lurking under there. If not memorialized quickly, there could be more blood - dwarven ghosts are not always the passive spirits of children's tales.

Finally, in some good news to close out the month, among the constant reports of depression, the child verbal enema has shown the signs of dwarven inspiration...

And those new military recruits who have not snapped under the pressure or been beaten to death by elves or TheCog, continue to train hard. Some show a true passion for fighting - like Peo II, preparing for retaking the surface .

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 9, 2019

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
TheCog is obviously an Elf sympathiser.

peo
Sep 7, 2003

It's easier to club baby seals.
Wow, Peo II is doing a lot better than I was expecting. For now anyway, since she hasn't actually been in battle yet, right?

Thank you very much for the update on her!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Man i hope i make something good!!

Also goddamn TheCog calm down

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
How many dwarves are actually still alive and functioning?

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

This is awesome and I'm caught up again, and actually trying DF out myself, I'm proud to say I'm *very* bad at it, a wereshrew wrecked my first fortress thoroughly, and some other werebeast a second time. Anywho, can I get redwarfed please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

This is awesome and I'm caught up again, and actually trying DF out myself, I'm proud to say I'm *very* bad at it, a wereshrew wrecked my first fortress thoroughly, and some other werebeast a second time. Anywho, can I get redwarfed please?

Everyone is bad at it. Winning is so unthinkable that Toady hasn't even programed in victory conditions yet.