Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Straight White Shark posted:

Finally! I was going nuts over here.

Anyone else notice those railroad spikes were crooked?

Also, also, i'm still betting that this will basically be the opening scene of the first episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

CainFortea posted:

Anyone else notice those railroad spikes were crooked?

Also, also, i'm still betting that this will basically be the opening scene of the first episode.

Yeah it's either that or the "twist" ending to the first episode instead.

Bonus: it's actually going to be the end of season cliffhanger.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
If they wanted they could have responded to reports of Harbour shooting scenes on set the way LOST did it with Jin by going “oh it’s all flashback stuff.” No one would believe it but it was an option.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm fine with him being alive provided they stop writing him as a horrible abuser with no loving explanation for why his personality suddenly shifted so dramatically.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
He was fine

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I thought his crazy defensiveness made sense in the context of his prior trauma of losing his daughter and being obsessed with protecting 11 at all costs.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I disagree and hope he actually becomes as bad as idiots pretend he is now. I hope Hopper punches a child in the face. A communist child. I hope Hopper punches a communist child in the face and then wolfs down a Whopper sandwich while standing over them.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Solice Kirsk posted:

I disagree and hope he actually becomes as bad as idiots pretend he is now. I hope Hopper punches a child in the face. A communist child. I hope Hopper punches a communist child in the face and then wolfs down a Whopper sandwich while standing over them.

He pours a conspicuously labeled Coke into their sobbing face while they lay there and says something like "equal shares for everyone, eh, comrade"

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

They were going for lovable "dad is fed up with / too old for this poo poo!!" but it danced the line dangerously close to actual verbal and mental abuse. If they had dialed him down only even a few notches I don't think anyone would have taken issue with it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

"A sheriff can drink a really big Slushie if he sips it once a day." -Officer Jim Hopper probably, 1985

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Hopper being cranky about Eleven and Mike was pretty great - Hopper threatening to beat the poo poo out of Mike is less great.

S1 Hopper was way more of a softie at heart, especially his quiet "Benny was my friend" over the murdered dude in the diner.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The whole overprotective dad trope exists for a reason. Hell, you still see people talking about greeting their daughter's boyfriend while cleaning guns these days. In the 80s that would have been far more normal.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hopper was way too keyed up to be talking to a 15 year old like that but also I can’t really see a 15 year old being that much of a prick to their girlfriend’s dad so the entire thing felt cartoonish to me

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

When you stare down a transdimensional monster in your tweens a grumpy dad keeping you from touching boobies just ain't as scary.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

People complaining about Hopper forget what a gigantic oval office Mike became in season three, also for no reason.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

People complaining about Hopper forget what a gigantic oval office Mike became in season three, also for no reason.

I could see the trauma of having to save the world (twice) and puberty doing that do a kid.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

pik_d posted:

I could see the trauma of having to save the world (twice) and puberty doing that do a kid.

Sucks that he was the only one that went through something like that. Maybe it's also because his home life is messed up. His dad is way too boring.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

cosmicjim posted:

Sucks that he was the only one that went through something like that. Maybe it's also because his home life is messed up. His dad is way too boring.

Things affect people differently. And it would make for bad TV if they all became insufferable.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
When I think of a personality change for Hop becoming a nearly violent dickhead I think of him charging in to a restaurant and verbally assaulting Joyce for daring to speak to another man, personally.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dude punched his way through every problem in season 1.

Ya'all were surprised that Daenerys went full crazy at the end too weren't you?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Verbally assaulting

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

pik_d posted:

Things affect people differently. And it would make for bad TV if they all became insufferable.

That's understandable, which is why it shouldn't be some weird surprise that Hopper behaved how he did. I think people react to a character's behavior based on who they are subconsciously identifying with. I'm a 40-year father of 2 daughters (19/14) and I definitely identify with Hopper. If I didn't have teenage daughters I could I easily see myself identifying with Mike or Will when I watch this show despite being 40.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Collapsing Farts posted:

Verbally assaulting

We used to call that arguing when I was a kid. It's wrong now.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Dude punched his way through every problem in season 1.

Ya'all were surprised that Daenerys went full crazy at the end too weren't you?

Weird that you'd quote an example of completely poo poo writing to back up your case. Dany going mad queen only makes sense given the book that's never going to come out having fake Aegon / him possessing King's Landing, the show bungled it completely. Hop punching people in S1 was great.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I want to see a flash-forward of what Hopper’s doing in 2020. Does he like Trump? Did Eleven stop coming over for Christmas because she doesn’t want her kids hearing slurs?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Solice Kirsk posted:

We used to call that arguing when I was a kid. It's wrong now.

Share this meme if you were spanked as a kid and learned RESPECT.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What would Hopper post to his facebook wall in 2020? Memes about drinking from the hose and not using seatbelts?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What is 2020 Hopper’s opinion on Russia?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

cosmicjim posted:

That's understandable, which is why it shouldn't be some weird surprise that Hopper behaved how he did. I think people react to a character's behavior based on who they are subconsciously identifying with. I'm a 40-year father of 2 daughters (19/14) and I definitely identify with Hopper. If I didn't have teenage daughters I could I easily see myself identifying with Mike or Will when I watch this show despite being 40.

Yeah at the very least it seems like an odd take to simultaneously be like "Mike's behavior was due to his traumatic experience and thus good characterization and storytelling" and "Hopper's behavior was problematic and should not have been portrayed in the show" without acknowledging that they've both experienced the same hosed up poo poo

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
I mean the problem isn't whether it's realistic/makes sense that Hopper has begun acting like a giant rear end in a top hat, the problem is that it makes him less likeable and harder to root for.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It doesn't matter that he was a bit of a hard-nosed bastard or the circumstances behind why he does what he does, because the fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter one gently caress iota why an abuser is an abuser to the people they're abusing, and painting an abusive father as sympathetic is nothing short of dangerous.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jungle gyms used to be made of metal and if you fell you landed on cement. That's truly what the youth of today is missing. Toughen you right the hell up. Also the giant truck tire pyramid that could lead to a solid 10 foot drop through the top scraping your back on hardened rubber and metal plies.

Anything life threw at you was like a walk in the park after the warzone that was a 1987 middle school recess.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

It doesn't matter that he was a bit of a hard-nosed bastard or the circumstances behind why he does what he does, because the fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter one gently caress iota why an abuser is an abuser to the people they're abusing, and painting an abusive father as sympathetic is nothing short of dangerous.

I haven't watched the show since release. Did he do anything that was abusive to the kids besides being threatening to Mike? His interactions with Joyce on the other hand.......

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Jungle gyms used to be made of metal and if you fell you landed on cement. That's truly what the youth of today is missing. Toughen you right the hell up. Also the giant truck tire pyramid that could lead to a solid 10 foot drop through the top scraping your back on hardened rubber and metal plies.

Anything life threw at you was like a walk in the park after the warzone that was a 1987 middle school recess.

Which one of the gang is posting this to facebook in 2020?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I wish season 3 was good enough to rewatch and see if they were just arguing or if he’s basically drunkenly screaming at her in public as I remember it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Which one of the gang is posting this to facebook in 2020?

Erica.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Got a concussion there once. We were (being loving idiots) making the roundabout go as fast as we could and then jumping off. Of course you're completely out of control and I went forehead first into a steel pipe on the jungle gym.

Also got another two concussions on my bike that could maybe have been prevented with bike helmets.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Just watched this video. It was actually pretty good.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I mean the problem isn't whether it's realistic/makes sense that Hopper has begun acting like a giant rear end in a top hat, the problem is that it makes him less likeable and harder to root for.
I also really, really hated what they did with the Max/Lucas relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So I haven't actually read most of the thread to avoid spoilers but I finally am watching the show for the first time and I got to Season 3 and I have to ask:

What the gently caress is up with Jim? He comes across a a giant abusive rear end in a top hat who I'm more likely to root against than root for and I can't figure out WTF. I've only watch about the first two episodes but I'm having a really hard time pushing past it after the dude threatened a teenager to try to get him to break up with an emotionally traumatized girl and then repeatedly badgered a woman to go on a date with him after she made it clear she was still recovering from seeing her last boyfriend brutally murdered in front of her.

Does he get better or is this like he's being affected by Mind Spores or something because I have rarely encountered something that makes me want to stop watching a show as badly as this and I'm not sure if I should keep pushing on.