Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Eox posted:

Really digging that the central thesis of the Weapon project is trying to kill us by filling technology we've already wrecked with people we've already killed. The finest minds in the empire.

In fairness, further out we've got the guy behind the Eden raids making the same mistake.

Dude, we kicked Thancred, Ran'jit, AND Innocence's asses before, combining them will not help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Let's be real here, though, Eden's Promise was extremely gay. Like, you had an entire final boss phase based around protecting Gaia's memories of going out on dates with her girlfriend. It genuinely felt like the only reason they didn't have them making out at the end like Squall and Rinoa was because they're consistently depicted as early teens rather than late teens, rather than because they happen to be gay, and the whole thing still ended on them going off on a ride for two where you definitely weren't invited.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
There hasn't even been a straight on-screen kiss so they have a reasonable excuse to dance around it

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Eox posted:

There hasn't even been a straight on-screen kiss so they have a reasonable excuse to dance around it

And, again, they're both fourteen, so I'd put them on the lower end of the likely priority list for that sort of thing, but it does feel like whenever those two eventually come back into the plot, they're going to have the kind of married-couple energy that's detectable from two shards over.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

So the cutscene where Ryne calls her Gaia and Mitron says to not to dare use that name but if you must call her something use the name her parents gave her. Does that mean every Ascian has three names?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Badger of Basra posted:

So the cutscene where Ryne calls her Gaia and Mitron says to not to dare use that name but if you must call her something use the name her parents gave her. Does that mean every Ascian has three names?

Gaia has a name her biological parents in Eulmore gave her, and we don't know what that it. Loghrif is her convocation title, like Emet Selch, and Gaia is her true name, like Hades.

All of the sundered would have three names for similar reasons.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Gaia has a name her biological parents in Eulmore gave her, and we don't know what that it. Loghrif is her convocation title, like Emet Selch, and Gaia is her true name, like Hades.

All of the sundered would have three names for similar reasons.

Oh that makes sense. I thought he was talking about her Ascian parents or something.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Every Ascian has three names. Their Convocation name, their given name, and their Jellicle name.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

lol that Alphinaud wrote a treatise on political philosophy

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Every Ascian has three names. Their Convocation name, their given name, and their Jellicle name.

What a cursed post this is

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The Scions could use a hacker...

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Support Marxist-Leveilleurist thought.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, but for most of the fight he has just one voice, though distorted. I think I heard double for the opening line and will need to check when I run it again.

Checked, I was wrong, he just has one voice throughout.

I am really happy with the last Eden fight. I'm a big fan of when they do simple mechanics and layer them, and in this case that's exactly what happens and each combo needs different reactions. My only gripe is the Shiva junction which has everyone group up and then puts AoEs on them pretty much guaranteeing folks are getting venn'd no matter what they try.

Also, for anyone interested in little details, when destroying the memories you fight monsters that are hanging off the boss's body, and they seem to vanish for that phase of the fight. At least the thigh caged giants do, didn't get a good look at the leg angels or shoulder lions.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Next time someone's doing the new dungeon, you should look around the final boss arena and check out the detailing on the book shelves.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Review board: "Your central thesis doesn't seem to account for power-hungry coup d'etats."
Alphinaud: "Who would do such a thing? I'm rich with a bunch of inherited power and haven't felt the urge to usurp anybody."
Dadphinaud: "Just let him have this. Trust me, it's like talking to a wall."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Eimi posted:

Support Marxist-Leveilleurist thought.

:hai:

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Jesus loving Christ, Valens is just... the worst.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

"By combining our powers, we can make it work wherever we are."

I thought people were saying they were being too subtle

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Next time someone's doing the new dungeon, you should look around the final boss arena and check out the detailing on the book shelves.

sounds like a perfect use of the new explore mode

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

multijoe posted:

I hope one day's Japanese media companies can reach the levels of representation US media was a decade ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHzjXrEiQqQ

it took twenty years from when this show aired for legend of korra to show two girls looking meaningfully into each others eyes

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Augus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHzjXrEiQqQ

it took twenty years from when this show aired for legend of korra to show two girls looking meaningfully into each others eyes

And that's the terrible English dub, it's 100% explicit in the Japanese version. Sailor Moon is just the best (and ridiculously gay)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Eimi posted:

And that's the terrible English dub, it's 100% explicit in the Japanese version. Sailor Moon is just the best (and ridiculously gay)

Yeah like knowing....anything about media from Japan just makes the whole "WHEN WILL THOSE STRANGE JAPANESE GET AS WOKE AS US ON GAYS STUFF?" poo poo even more loving stupid and disgusting. There's an insane amount of LBGTQ+ positive media from japan, not as much of it main stream as stuff that ignores it but that's just as true of our media too. It's just being weird about foreigners. Acting like we're so much better isn't loving earned at all.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also to be fair I do not think this engine could convincingly animate two characters kissing

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Well I didn't imagine this engine could convincingly animate the grimace of horror as light ichor pours out of a character's face as they're gruesomely transformed, but they sure showed me

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Waffleman_ posted:

Also to be fair I do not think this engine could convincingly animate two characters kissing

We just got liquid pouring last patch, we're an expac away from swapping spit.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Holy poo poo I just heard Cid

Like I know the different recording situation is affecting all the VAs but did they recast this with a different guy lol

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Holy poo poo I just heard Cid

Like I know the different recording situation is affecting all the VAs but did they recast this with a different guy lol

Pretty sure they did, but we don't know who or why.

Weirdly, I like the new guy. I'd never have thought of that sort of angle for Cid, but it works really well.

EDIT: To me the weirdest change is Urianger, because I know it's the same guy but it doesn't sound quite right; I'm guessing his home mic setup is different and so his recording is lower. I feel like there's one or two lines that do the same with Y'shtola, but she mostly sounds normal.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

multijoe posted:

Curious about the China line though, is FF14 really that big in China that it has to be factored in like that?

I've wondered how they localized the azim steppe stuff in china since I got there, considering the obvious tibetan influences

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah like knowing....anything about media from Japan just makes the whole "WHEN WILL THOSE STRANGE JAPANESE GET AS WOKE AS US ON GAYS STUFF?" poo poo even more loving stupid and disgusting. There's an insane amount of LBGTQ+ positive media from japan, not as much of it main stream as stuff that ignores it but that's just as true of our media too. It's just being weird about foreigners. Acting like we're so much better isn't loving earned at all.

i posted this earlier, it's not "just japan." if yoshi WERE only concerned about japan there would have definitely been more. the game has a pretty sizable playerbase in places like indonesia, malaysia, and singapore that are a lot worse about these things, at least politically and in terms of censorship. in the interview where this was brought up, the language around it was very clear that it isn't just one country holding things back, but wide demographics of players in many countries. the controversy that he mentioned was about korea, even, which you'd think would be good in a similar way to japan, but the demographics of who plays this game might be different than expected in ways that a lot of us on NA servers don't really have cultural context for.

even within japan, the game basically has the entire MMO-playing population since WoW is nonexistent there, so all the chuds and boomers you get in WoW are on FF14 there instead, so maybe even that's a bit of an uphill struggle.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 9, 2020

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Waffleman_ posted:

same but the end of shb gave me hope with the crazy interactions the scions were having. a high five??? in my final fantasy 14????

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

why does e12 boss need so many boobs though

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

because it's based on this statue from the temple of artemis

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kerrzhe posted:

why does e12 boss need so many boobs though

because Artemis was too horny to function

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So, I'm taking Fanny as some sort of unholy hybrid between Kefka and Kuja. Others have speculated that the towers are Lunar Transmitters, and his goal might be to drop the moon on the planet. It makes me wonder if they might have the sheer insanity to do a "World of Ruin" expansion. I realize that's kinda what ARR and Shadowbringers technically are but you know what I mean.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
My favorite part about Fandaniel is the revelation that, yes, he really was deliberately pissing Zenos off. Because he's suicidal, and knows the only way he can possibly die is elaborately.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
So, what are we thinking about Ryne and Gaia? Entirrly out of the story now, or "probably gonna drop up later seeing as they're both technically part-immortal and Gaia all but said outright she could remember her Ascian world jaunting stuff?"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Jetrauben posted:

So, what are we thinking about Ryne and Gaia? Entirrly out of the story now, or "probably gonna drop up later seeing as they're both technically part-immortal and Gaia all but said outright she could remember her Ascian world jaunting stuff?"

Depends, with the follow up with the Void Quests I'd count NO ONE out of showing up. Especially since they mention that time can desync, I can see the first doing a time skip to give us adult Ryne and Gaia, and the Bounty Hunters having finished their research into discovering how to fix the Thirteenth. Now that they have brought it up as a possibility, I can't see that NOT being an expac.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This is kind of tiring having to respond to accusations I didn't make. I am not attacking the people of Japan, or claiming they produces no LGBT content. I am saying it sucks it has such a conservative corporate culture that limits what writers in major franchises like FF14 can do, like forcing them to Korra up the romance plot to get it past the censors. That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

multijoe posted:

This is kind of tiring having to respond to accusations I didn't make. I am not attacking the people of Japan, or claiming they produces no LGBT content. I am saying it sucks it has such a conservative corporate culture that limits what writers in major franchises like FF14 can do, like forcing them to Korra up the romance plot to get it past the censors. That is all.

No one has ever kissed in FFXIV. Even characters who've expressly been in love have not bothered to declare their love. This relationship has gotten nothing that no other relationship hasn't gotten. You're judging this differently because it is an LGBT relationship and people will deny it, which makes you more defensive. But nothing about this relationship is any different from any other relationship.