Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Ehud posted:

dude is gonna be almost 63 when the 2021 season starts

has anyone got a new HC job that late in their career and had success

Dick Vermeil was 61 when he took the Rams job after being out of football for ~15 years.

EDIT: Yeah, and Pete Carrol was 59 when the Seahawks hired him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Imagine Marvin Lewis with an owner that pays a scouting department

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Lewis is a fine retread imo and his absence from the bengals definitely shows. I think he just ran out of gas and effort in his latter years and you cant blame him for that so probably one of the safer and more sensible second HC hires you can make.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I could see lewis being a jim caldwell on the lions type stabilizing influence, on what team i don't know though. you kinda have to hear the leaks about what teams are swinging for the fences and which are just trying to claw back to normal

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I hope the bengals hire marvin

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Marvin Lewis got the Bengals to the playoffs a decent amount. He just couldn't WIN in the playoffs...

In terms of retreads you could definitely do worse.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status/1336740779696373765?s=19

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Lewis needs a good OC for any hope of a decent playoff run. I think the bigger value is what he brings to scouting and talent development and at the very least should be a position coach/DC/FO-guy somewhere if he wanted to be or no one thinks he can cut it as a HC

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

seiferguy posted:

Marvin Lewis got the Bengals to the playoffs a decent amount. He just couldn't WIN in the playoffs...

In terms of retreads you could definitely do worse.

And his two best teams got derailed by QB injuries. I’d rather give Marvin Lewis a shot over any of the Patriot-associated retreads like McDaniels or BoB.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I would take him on the Bears in a heartbeat. He regularly made the playoffs with &e. He has always done less with more.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
How about Marv Levy.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Lewis' teams always seemed completely undisciplined and out of control to me. They cost themselves multiple games a year (and playoff games) with braindead penalties.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

How about Marv Levy.

I’d take a 95-year old Marv Levy over a few current coaches just for the history and literature quotes.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lewis had a great defensive run with the Bengals from 2009 to 2016, though I'm not sure how much to credit that to him and how much to his coordinators.

I wouldn't mind seeing what he could do with Khalil Mack.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Arians was 60 when the Cardinals hired him.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/JeffMillerLAT/status/1336739191548379139?s=19

Ah.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

mcmagic posted:

Lewis' teams always seemed completely undisciplined and out of control to me. They cost themselves multiple games a year (and playoff games) with braindead penalties.

I mean Marvin Lewis was...a big second chance guy so discipline may not have been his strong suit.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

pasaluki posted:

I mean Marvin Lewis was...a big second chance guy so discipline may not have been his strong suit.

I think that was tied into the resources they had though.

if you have no money for scouts, why not take chances on the guys who crater in the draft because they piss hot or have eensy teensey women beating problems?

Then when you have them, they gently caress up in the league too, so you can fine them a bunch of money and re-sign them for cheap!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

marvin is 100% on-board drafting/signing stupid pieces of poo poo if they have a lot of talent but i think if you didn't give him what equates roughly to co-GM power he wouldn't do nearly as much extreme dumbass player acquisition as he did with mike brown at the helm of the franchise. mike loves extreme dumbasses as well

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
If you take all the top talent assholes who slide for character reasons then you just let everyone else scout for you for free, which is especially helpful when you have no scouting department cause the owner is a cheap rear end. Big brain plays

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
the bengals rule, I agree

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Kalli posted:

I think that was tied into the resources they had though.

if you have no money for scouts, why not take chances on the guys who crater in the draft because they piss hot or have eensy teensey women beating problems?

Then when you have them, they gently caress up in the league too, so you can fine them a bunch of money and re-sign them for cheap!

Agreed, I was going to say I think Vontaze Burfict and Pacman Jones were going to do that stuff regardless of where they ended up.

hifi posted:

I could see lewis being a jim caldwell on the lions type stabilizing influence, on what team i don't know though. you kinda have to hear the leaks about what teams are swinging for the fences and which are just trying to claw back to normal

Marvin Lewis to Jacksonville, who says no?

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Power of Pecota posted:

Agreed, I was going to say I think Vontaze Burfict and Pacman Jones were going to do that stuff regardless of where they ended up.

Marvin Lewis to Jacksonville, who says no?

Marvin, maybe.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Marv is a good coach. He hires good supporting staffs and isn't a diva. He knows how to develop a roster and isn't a diva.

He also calls people midgets and thinks concussions aren't real. Swings and roundabouts.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Burfict's personal foul against Antonio Brown in the playoffs was the funniest, most flagrant, most predictable thing i've ever seen in the NFL.

Like how did Marvin not have him off the field for that play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8iFSP_S5h8&t=49s

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Marvin is better than most of the coaches who will get hired over him this year

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

Burfict's personal foul against Antonio Brown in the playoffs was the funniest, most flagrant, most predictable thing i've ever seen in the NFL.

Like how did Marvin not have him off the field for that play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8iFSP_S5h8&t=49s

He's the only player in NFL history to single handedly win and lose the same playoff game.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Burfict didn't have the mental stability to be an NFL player and Lewis kept him on the team for a long long time.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Burfict was failed by the coaching staff. He was a supremely talented player but his transgressions were overtly overlooked by the coaching staff. Again, Marv literally thinks concussions aren't real.

He was the best defensive player I ever saw play, for the Bengals or any other team. When he started doing lovely personal fouls in 2013 if Marvin would of jumped on him he could have been a Hall of fame calibre player. Marv ignored his bullshit and enabled him. Late in his career his reputation was so bad he once literally got ejected for being within 5 feet of a ref. I would rate Burfict a bigger failing for Marv than his postseason record.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 10, 2020

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
He seems genuinely confused because he did absolutely lead with his shoulder and not his helmet. The problem is he drove his shoulder directly into antonio brown's skull.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

He seems genuinely confused because he did absolutely lead with his shoulder and not his helmet. The problem is he drove his shoulder directly into antonio brown's skull.

Ah so that's where the AB saga starts

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

a neat cape posted:

A friend of a friend dated AB in ~14-16 and by all accounts he was a normal dude. Head trauma!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

a neat cape posted:

Pete Carroll was in his early 60s wasn't he?

Pete Carroll was 43 when he got his first NFL head coach job with the Jets in 1994.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

Pete Carroll was 43 when he got his first NFL head coach job with the Jets in 1994.

And he got a new HC job late in his career with Seattle? Like the question asked?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

a neat cape posted:

I don't know if you're joking but I remember a while ago someone saying this is exactly what happened with him.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eifert Posting posted:

He's the only player in NFL history to single handedly win and lose the same playoff game.

SA2K is posting in this very thread and knows exactly how wrong this take is.

I won't say it, but we all know.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

SA2K is posting in this very thread and knows exactly how wrong this take is.

I won't say it, but we all know.

man

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Eifert Posting posted:

Point of order. Burfict's penalty only put Pittsburgh in long field goal range. Other noted headcase Pacman Jones also picked up a personal foul on the play to make it a chip shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Parallelwoody posted:

I don't know if you're joking but I remember a while ago someone saying this is exactly what happened with him.
I mean, just look at the very first comment on that video