Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Got my first GC to level 2 and I keep resetting to see if I can push it to 1 :(. I probably could with "qi bursting" but like.... I have read the guide and still have no idea wtf it actually is.

Don't bother, GC 2 is fine for most purposes and it gets hella easier to buff subsequent cultivators once you have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Vengarr posted:

They must have some way of doing it, because only male Body cultivators can improve their “treasures”.

It's really silly, but I wasn't kidding above. For a little bit I was considering modding the game, but some of how it worked was weird enough that I ended up decompiling the engine to figure it out. Here's how dicks work:

The definitions for which races have which body parts are in plaintext scripting files that modders have access to, but there isn't some flag to make a body-part exist only for one gender, both always get it. Instead the devs hard-coded checks in the game engine so that whenever a body part is injured, or being considered for cultivation, it specifically checks to see if it's a dick on a woman, and if it is it skips that bit. This I guess is supposed to keep it from showing up in the injury or cultivation menus, even if it's still there as a data object. This is despite having a body part system that lets different characters have or lack arbitrary body parts.

It's crazy chinagame logic like this that convinced me not to mod for it.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Pavlov posted:

It's really silly, but I wasn't kidding above. For a little bit I was considering modding the game, but some of how it worked was weird enough that I ended up decompiling the engine to figure it out. Here's how dicks work:

The definitions for which races have which body parts are in plaintext scripting files that modders have access to, but there isn't some flag to make a body-part exist only for one gender, both always get it. Instead the devs hard-coded checks in the game engine so that whenever a body part is injured, or being considered for cultivation, it specifically checks to see if it's a dick on a woman, and if it is it skips that bit. This I guess is supposed to keep it from showing up in the injury or cultivation menus, even if it's still there as a data object. This is despite having a body part system that lets different characters have or lack arbitrary body parts.

It's crazy chinagame logic like this that convinced me not to mod for it.

What I'm understanding here is that everyone has a dick, but ladies get ones that can't be destroyed

Hell Yeah

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pavlov posted:

As far as I can tell, all characters actually do have dicks. They've just hard-coded female dicks to be invulnerable, and un-cultivatable.

I have no idea why they chose to do this.

Maybe they think that's what a clit is. An invulnerable dick.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Prove to me that the clit isn't an invulnerable dick.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Maybe it’s designed that way so modder can give/unlock female to have dick.

I guess this design leads to female having a free part to soak/dodge damage, which mean they have a defensive advantage compare to male that can cultivate it for other stats.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 31, 2022

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Nyaa posted:

I guess this design leads to female having a free part to soak/dodge damage, which mean they have a defensive advantage compare to male that can cultivate it for other stats.

As far as I am aware, the only thing even remotely close to this is the mod that moves the male body cultivators phallus remolding to the limbic system and makes it accessible to both sexes

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I guess I'm going to have to remake my sect to all women for that invulnerable dick buckler block chance

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Nyaa posted:

No, the way its set up, the dick is the only bodypart a modder can't give a female character. I think its designed that way because they just implemented it poorly to begin with and never went back to fix it.

But yes, as far as I can tell, a female character has a slight defensive advantage because they can absorb damage with their invisible, but invulnerable dick.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Does Qi Sense matter for Shendao cultivation at all? I'm trying to follow the guide from which basically focuses on emotional stability and such. Is Qi Sense not mentioned because "like, obviously it's important" or because it actually doesn't matter for divine stuff?

edit: also just as a side note, this game is *insane*. I feel like I'm 12 years old trying to figure out, like, Myst or something.

GoodluckJonathan fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Sep 1, 2022

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Does Qi Sense matter for Shendao cultivation at all? I'm trying to follow the guide from which basically focuses on emotional stability and such. Is Qi Sense not mentioned because "like, obviously it's important" or because it actually doesn't matter for divine stuff?

There are guards that improve Qi Sense, so one would assume it helps increase max qi like with xiandao, but with this game you can never be completely sure.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I was pretty sure Qi Sense only matters for Xiandao cultivators, and that for Shendao the amount of believers your cultivator has its what determines their qi pool.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Pavlov posted:

No, the way its set up, the dick is the only bodypart a modder can't give a female character. I think its designed that way because they just implemented it poorly to begin with and never went back to fix it.

But yes, as far as I can tell, a female character has a slight defensive advantage because they can absorb damage with their invisible, but invulnerable dick.

Blocking punches with their Soul Dicks

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Qi Sense does stuff for at least Body cultivators. It determines the starting value of their Qi Barrier Penetration and Artifact Suppression. Remolds will eventually dwarf the starting value, though, so it only matters at the start.

Kagrenac
Jan 14, 2017

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Mechanically it still determines their base qi but shendao get essentially all of their qi value from flat bonuses from guards. You might notice it on a baby shendao with only a thousand or so qi, but once you have the millions guards give you it doesn't matter at all.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Shendao don't care much about anything except some stats and traits to make them not get hosed up as bad by moods and such.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 57 days!
brand new at this. got one inner disciple (at core shaping, about to breakthrough to golden core if i ever get a second to refill my qi) and their pet fire dog. now there's some kinda hosed up monster rabbit waking up in the lower left corner of the map. ive saved/reloaded multiple times and my cultivator and the dog cant do poo poo, never even seem to do any damage. is there a secret or trick here?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
That corner of the map is now forbidden. Come back in 10 years.

For real, when the dog leaves the puppy faze and your gold core can make a better artifact and pick up some fighting skills, maybe then you can take it. You can get more inners to help or maybe trade for help from other sects.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Don't worry eventually you can squash it like an ant

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
It will stay in it's corner of the map, very slowly cultivating. You will outpace it.
I turned it into pants. (And it's blood into airconditioning.)

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 57 days!
the problem is that my loving dog keeps going down there to eat frog poo poo or whatever

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

croup coughfield posted:

the problem is that my loving dog keeps going down there to eat frog poo poo or whatever

i'm afraid that your dog is courting death. this is a terminal condition in xianxia world

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
try feeding your cultivator a spirit stone + spirit crystal + qi regen pill after they form their core, they should be able to tank while the dog and the outers chip away at it. equip the taiyi scroll too if you've got it

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

croup coughfield posted:

Make sure to tell the dog to never eat and play with poo poo and he should stop.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 57 days!

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Make sure to tell the dog to never eat and play with poo poo and he should stop.

i told him he could eat it sometimes because i cant bear to tell the little guy no lol. is there a way to go back and change it?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
You can always modify the priority of the last five actions your pet thought about doing, so you just need to wait for it to think about doing it again (or just doing it) and then you can tell it to stop.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 57 days!
ty friends

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Jazerus posted:

i'm afraid that your dog is courting death. this is a terminal condition in xianxia world

Symptoms include spitting blood when angry, having eyes but not seeing Mount Tai and not being blamed for being impolite.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Posting to say I adore this game.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 57 days!

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Posting to say I adore this game.

im enjoying it a lot. i keep restarting with new sects/laws/etc every time i run into a new problem i wasn't prepared for or have some new idea, but it still hasn't gotten tedious to get through those early stages. just a ton of content with weird new mechanics at every turn.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Symptoms include spitting blood when angry, having eyes but not seeing Mount Tai and not being blamed for being impolite.

You forgot 'a frog lusting after the flesh of a swan'.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

If only it were that easy to convince a dog not to eat turds in real life

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Just picked this up and holy crap it scratches a very specific itch in my brain

First play attempt crashed hard within 20 days

Second attempt went way better but I messed up and went wide with my inners i stead of deep, got wrecked by raiders

Attempt 3 will be after work today, can't wait to fail in spectacular new ways

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Reach Heaven Trough Violence!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

Just picked this up and holy crap it scratches a very specific itch in my brain

First play attempt crashed hard within 20 days

Second attempt went way better but I messed up and went wide with my inners i stead of deep, got wrecked by raiders

Attempt 3 will be after work today, can't wait to fail in spectacular new ways

The rabbit hole is extremely deep. Beware.

To get the authentic first experience you hopefully took a cool wolf or tiger man and game over'd nearly immediately when they turned into monsters.