Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Mederlock posted:

So do you have these receipts of Bill dropping the n word in his rap videos or what? Because I watched and listened to them all and I'm pretty sure you're wrong there :shrug: . I mean it's pretty straightforward to prove or disprove this particular claim of yours. If the guy is guilty of it it's just as simple as posting the clip.

E: and let it be known that Stephen Harper is scum, I just thought that portrait was goofy as gently caress and it was back in the days where I posted in the canpol thread

Fwiw I talked with him about it once and explained why it's not okay and he pulled the stuff some time after that - it was definitely there, it's not there now.

It wasn't overt racism in the sense of like, hard r's and stuff, and being familiar with Houston hip-hop myself I could tell he was rapping using rhyme schemes & styles the way he'd heard people rapping prolly most of his life
Houston rap is very, very iterative, kind of like jazz standards, where people reuse the same rhyme schemes or phrases as homage/tribute to individuals, it's very central to Houston hip-hop

However, at that same time? Paul Wall, the people's champ, white as hell, didn't have to say it when he made Sittin Sidewayz, or Drive Slow, or Swangin' in The Rain, like this excerpt really emphasizes the point because there's like seven different parts he cleearly coulda, but didn't, cuz he gets it. That's part of why he's the mf people's champ

"You see them fo's crawlin', you see them screens fallin
The disco ball in my mouth insinuates I'm ballin
I'm leanin on the switch, sittin crooked in my slab
But I could still catch boppers if I drove a cab
A young Houston hardhitter all about the scrilla
Ridin somethin candy coated, crawlin like a caterpillar"

there's no excuse

Iirc I explained that it just brings a lotta negative out of a lot of people to hear a white dude droppin n-bombs, regardless of intent/context, and that makes it no good. Just no good.
the chance to upset someone is too high, even if that's not your intent, and there's really nothing to gain
it seemed like he got what I was saying and I haven't seen any stuff containing it by him since then

I don't want this to turn into a dogpile on people for every misdeed and mistake and failing they've had in the past or present, that just kind of polarizes ls stuff and will make people feel like if they crossed one line, they're already forsaken so they might as well just go full piece of poo poo - when that ain't true & there's a better way, keep that in mind y'all, a lot of people straight up do not know some stuff is offensive, or they don't understand how offensive it is and then grow up in communities where that stuff is treated like a joke

Then, they bump into the other parts of the world where that is not the case whatsoever and do some super offensive poo poo, that they do not grasp the degree it's unacceptable by.

The effect I've noticed is they'll often appear feel like the people responding are freaking out because they missed the first 100,000 people that those people have had to ask stop doing that because they were each over where it's a joke and it's their first thing learning about it even though it's your millionth time explaining it

I know there's the completely agreeable position of I don't have to explain poo poo and I shouldn't have to - but I think it's also more helpful than you'd expect when you explain stuff to people who can communicate with the other people who don't get why it's bad, because they are the ones who can bridge the gap and that it'll often create a tornado-like vector of meaningful societal change "hey if the star QB says bullying gay people is wrong, its wrong" effect Even if the star quarterback has said some bad poo poo in the past (and no bbtb I am not calling you the star quarterback, _/) I'm not saying this to excuse anything, but remember even the people that you're mad at?
still people. Each one is different, they are not all mittani and innom and whoev. and it's easy to be realllly loving mad at one group, and have reason to be pretty upset with another group, but one of them is a salvageable situation and one of them is not and when switching between them especially with emotionally sensitive subjects it can be easy to slip up and just lose it on people, and imo the goal here is for whoever can be on the same page to be able to get onto the same page. I try to think that's most people

I think it's good to assume, when you can, ignorance over malice, because people are dumb as hell but they're not really evil like some people are but most people aren't evil, just dumb

At the same time, walking into a crowd of people who are feeling a type of way about some stuff and then going haha fart and then treating what they'd trying to say like it's a joke, especially when you can tell they're getting upset, what do you expect dude?

bbtb, real advice here, this is the best advice I can give you and I've spent some time thinking about it please take it into regard: if you are feeling ashamed or embarrassed or like you'll get a scarlet letter forever for it and are worried people will dogpile you?
just say you're sorry & own up man. All people want is for the stuff that makes them uncomfortable or feel bad or ruins their time to not be happening, or treated like it doesn't matter.
(I'm not talking about any video game stuff here like someone blowing your thing up, I'm talking about people behavior, to clarify)

People first of all simply want to be heard, first of all - if something is important to you, and you try telling it to people, and they tell you that doesn't matter? That poo poo feels bad dude. It'll make people feel angry, and that will make it harder for you to understand what they're upset about - so the quicker you can listen and let them say it, the less anger there will be all around and the easier will be to resolve, every time.

The stuff that is making people upset here, much more than the behavior, and I'm not just talking about you but with ALLL of the non-criminal-related disagreements & criticism people are having?

I can't see a single one that couldn't be solved by the person people are upset with to own it directly, and apologize to the people they upset/hurt, try to make it right if it's still an issue, and try to not do it again - people aren't looking for someone to hate.

People aren't trying to start a war.

They feel hurt. You may not have hurt them initially, but invalidating their pain kinda makes you become part of what hurt them, even if what you personally did has nothing to do with what they're upset about.

people here are more upset about things that other people are refusing to even admit happened, let alone apologize for, at an industrial scale - what you are facing right now is some anger towards you, and a loooot of anger towards what's seen as a lockstep cultural refusal by some to accept a simple truth "when a person tells you that you hurt them, you don't get to decide that you didn't."

I know that's a Louis CK quote and he's sorta a huge hypocrite, and not exactly a shining example of the change people wanna see here if I may understate like never before; that quote, however, is on point with this situation: you cannot tell people that you did not hurt them or offend them or made them feel bad if those people feel that you did.

If you tell them someone else didn't hurt them, if they feel that person did? They will feel like you are adding onto that hurt, because by that point, you are.

Doesn't matter who's right or what it's about, doesn't matter if it was intentional or not, if someone feels unhappy about some stuff you've done, disregarding it is disregarding the validity of their own emotions is dehumanizing in a way, and it will make people very upset, every time.

It's always better to own up.

If it's false or if they're misinterpreting it, you wanna make sure people heard what you actually said and all that, I'm not saying to roll over and apologize on demand to unsubstantiated stuff.
At the same time, don't disregard: clarify, so people don't feel like you are dismissing how they feel.

If you don't understand? ask them to elaborate, say something like "I don't understand what I did to upset you", and they'll usually tell you, if that still doesn't make sense, most people will try to show you until you get it, if you're genuinely making a good faith effort to learn.

but when it's some poo poo that you know you did, other people know you did, I personally have spoken with you about this (got logs, don't make them post em man I don't wanna be the receipt master), and you're refusing to admit it at all?

By doing that. without it being spoken. you're communicating that whatever the other person is upset about doesn't matter at all, and that the way that person feels doesn't matter to you at all, and like that person doesn't matter to you at all
- that's why they get so upset.

It's not because you've hosed up forever, and it's not because you need to show them they're wrong and you're right, or act like it's a a joke until people give up: just apologize, don't lie about what you've done - it is quite liberating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

And that's how ya post

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

The Shortest Path posted:

Jesus loving christ stop posting about posting you insufferable fuckwits

:justpost:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Like, at least the crazy people who defend the Catholic Church can point to literally a thousand years of brainwashing and Popery but some of y’all are dying on the hill for a virtual space club that isn’t even twenty years old...
:lol::laffo::lol:
:thunk:

And at least Raytheon pays well. Sometimes.

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

You're asking me to believe in sentient meat.

Jazzzzz posted:

Dalmuti actually runs counter to the d-name posting trend - but he does occasionally post unattributed psychotic reddit/GF.com content here.

tl;dr you been trolled

oh no it's from the alliance update thread lmaooooooooooooooo :wtc:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

twigplant posted:

oh no it's from the alliance update thread lmaooooooooooooooo :wtc:

Wtf is 'saladin' anyhow who posted that

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

You're asking me to believe in sentient meat.

Rust Martialis posted:

oh interesting, saladin who refuses to speak to me and won't tell anyone why he's not talking to me? very cool guy.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
not to be that guy, but CCP is nerfing ganking under the guise of stopping harassment:

1) Ganking something, with the intent of getting a reaction (see: Not whether or not YOU DO IT with the intent, rather if CCP THINKS THIS IS THE REASON YOU'RE DOING IT. This is problematic because CCP doesn't consider 'for the challenge' or 'for fun' as valid reasons.)
2) Persistent ganking of individuals. (I guess if you don't like someone you can't keep killing them, why should they be allowed to mine in a system I want to control simply because they've died enough times? Also how many is persistent?)
3) Ganking streamers without a valid reason. (See: 'for fun' and 'i don't like this guy' as not valid reasons.)
4) Ganking without 'any tangible gain'. You can't gank people unless you profit. Never mind playing for fun or to scam them later, but infamy and being the bad guy never mattered?

One step further, CCP are calling harassment and griefing the same thing, there is no difference between the two in action taken.

Just adding onto it, this is confirmed via PERSONAL EMAILS by GM IceCream. This is not public policy, this is people getting emails to 'stop doing this'. When I asked GM IceCream if I could post the logs (since posting GM correspondence is against the EULA) he told me to gently caress off.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

learnincurve posted:

are you describing a high sec gank?

Yup. Wasn't in a usual pipe like Uedama. On gate in Gheth.

Vilgan posted:

Kind of crazy to leave on a trip for 2 weeks with some outrage bubbling to come back to Mittens gone and like 300 pages of posts here and in the old new thread.

While I didn't fit in with GSF (cultural revolution still had a ways to go), I really liked Init. The only reason I left is because I despised mittens and refused to be a part of a large org with him at the head. Was a bit weird bailing on my squad while quietly suppressing "but I can't loving stand our coalition leader" as the reason for departing. Sounds like they are still around (the wormhole dudes), no clue how many have left GSF over recent events.

For goosefleet: I assume you can figure it all out, but if you want a nice pathfinder setup you might want to reach out to Ajaxify. He is an SA poster and did some nice custom updates for our group there that I'd assume he'd be up for sharing.

Wormholes are good poo poo :) When you have a large group of actives, could also bounce over to pochven for some larger group pvpve. Good isk and more conducive (imo) to group pve stuff when you have 8-15 people active. Foxholers and various other wormhole groups do that periodically as well.

Glad to see mittens gone, curious to see if this results in real actual tangible change.

Thread start mentions Brave as a landing place, but there's also Volta and the GTC if Brave doesn't appeal but you like the idea of being a part of the most interesting war going on atm (imo) :). And is a pretty competent/fun group as well.

What would you say is specifically attractive about Volta and the GTC? And where would you rate them in the list from most to least cool?

Also, if you lose EVE again, come join Goosefleet. I'll pass along the info about Ajaxify to the folks doing the grunt work on GANDR tech.

twigplant posted:

uh oh, our d-name poster relapsed into d-name posting. :cripes:

:ssh: It's a copy-paste of a bad take on Goonfleet dotte com

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

twigplant posted:

oh interesting, saladin who refuses to speak to me and won't tell anyone why he's not talking to me? very cool guy.

His post provoked a number of responses telling him "hell no" which were frankly more polite than I expected.

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

dragonshardz posted:

What would you say is specifically attractive about Volta and the GTC? And where would you rate them in the list from most to least cool?

Also, if you lose EVE again, come join Goosefleet. I'll pass along the info about Ajaxify to the folks doing the grunt work on GANDR tech.

I think the most interesting thing is the fact they are trying to do something pretty unique, which is remaining independent in a world of everyone joining the biggest bloc they could find. We used to have basically 0 blues and still only have a couple. Until Frat came along trying to kick over everyone's sand castle, Pure Blind was a pretty unique situation of like 6 neutral entities all shooting each other.

The Fc'ing and average pvp skill (outside of the newbie blob corps) is also pretty good imo. I'd consider myself significantly better than average at pvp in most alliances and tbh probably below average in volta.

I'm still losing Eve since I'm shooting Frat as part of Volta :)

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

not to be that guy, but CCP is nerfing ganking under the guise of stopping harassment:

1) Ganking something, with the intent of getting a reaction (see: Not whether or not YOU DO IT with the intent, rather if CCP THINKS THIS IS THE REASON YOU'RE DOING IT. This is problematic because CCP doesn't consider 'for the challenge' or 'for fun' as valid reasons.)
2) Persistent ganking of individuals. (I guess if you don't like someone you can't keep killing them, why should they be allowed to mine in a system I want to control simply because they've died enough times? Also how many is persistent?)
3) Ganking streamers without a valid reason. (See: 'for fun' and 'i don't like this guy' as not valid reasons.)
4) Ganking without 'any tangible gain'. You can't gank people unless you profit. Never mind playing for fun or to scam them later, but infamy and being the bad guy never mattered?

One step further, CCP are calling harassment and griefing the same thing, there is no difference between the two in action taken.

Just adding onto it, this is confirmed via PERSONAL EMAILS by GM IceCream. This is not public policy, this is people getting emails to 'stop doing this'. When I asked GM IceCream if I could post the logs (since posting GM correspondence is against the EULA) he told me to gently caress off.

Why does this feel like a comically late reaction to wizardhatgate?

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

Meh, definitely fine with CCP nerfing ganking. It's a loving dumb playstyle.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Vilgan posted:

Its annoying but i think it has its place in the game for disrupting hostile logistics in highsec.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

TheWeedNumber posted:

Its annoying but i think it has its place in the game for disrupting hostile logistics in highsec.

And for providing top tier goon quality content like today's astrahus adventures :v:

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Kazinsal posted:

And for providing top tier goon quality content like today's astrahus adventures :v:

ripperoni fam

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Rust Martialis posted:

Wtf is saladin'

saladin' is when you post bad ideas to GF.com

Not to be confused with potato saladin', which is when you reply multiple times to a single Bill post in a totally Normal way.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Vilgan posted:

the game was built around ganking. long as you die to concord in high sec there should never be a problem

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I suspect the other gankers need to have a word with Safety. for ruining it for the rest of you.

Maybe a month ago someone on reddit pulled up some KBs and they have been collecting huge numbers of kills in the newbie starter systems. It's all going to have been can baiting and shooting each other to get the tags coupled with "well actually that character is a week old so we can now" justification. CCP have always been traditionally unwilling to ban groups over 20 players big, so this is the natural alternative.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

FirstnameLastname posted:

And that's how ya post

Only if you want no one to read your post. Please either take a break or write a book.

Aedaxus
Feb 3, 2019

Not to be that guy, but CCP is nerfing ganking under the disguise of stopping harassment:

I have quoted CCP support conversations openly without issues multiple times, but then again, I am careful what I say on those and in what context I am posting those. So in your case, do not add any GM convo to your post, you will most likely get permabanned.

https://www.eveonline.com/news/view/security-update-february-2018
"The actual reason the rule was originally set was to protect our staff from out of context posting and partial re-posting intended to foster misinformation without us jumping in and clarifying. The thinking was (and to some degree still is) that this would put our staff in a position where unless they responded to every such post, it could be expected to represent proper context. In that sense it was always meant to improve discussion, not censor it."

The weird thing is that I have read those rules somewhere but can't find them anywhere in the dev blogs. I'm sure they were somewhere on an official CCP source. Does anyone have a link?

andromache
Aug 27, 2009

Lawful Neutral Paper Pusher Elemental.
It feels like this is targeted at some of the more egregious behaviors - new player hunting with can flipping or relentlessly making GBS threads on a streamer that someone has decided they don’t like - both of which put the hurt on new player attraction and retention.

Seems like freighter/jump freighter/bowhead/orca popping will still be fine under the “tangible value” phrasing, though how much isk is “tangible” depends very much on the individual. Regardless, whether it’s the isk value or we have a conversation with the GM where “actually we have this tool where we’ve observed player interactions and locations and have a high degree of confidence this is the neutral alt of X, who is a member of Y, which we are currently at war with.”

Bigbillthaboss
Feb 25, 2013

TRASH ASS EDGELORD,
PUT ME ON IGNORE

FirstnameLastname posted:

Fwiw I talked with him about it once...

It wasn't overt racism in the sense of like, hard r's and stuff, and being familiar with Houston hip-hop myself I could tell he was rapping using rhyme schemes & styles...

but when it's some poo poo that you know you did, other people know you did, I personally have spoken with you about this (got logs, don't make them post em man I don't wanna be the receipt master), [b]and you're refusing to admit it at all?

This is a lot of words for just saying "LOL got u blackmailed fam!"

If I remember correctly I either copy/pasted or typed out a specific reference, the reference to emphasize the "Playa that's what I want!" where, in a momentary lapse of judgement, "playa" was the soft-n word from the actual 'script' and I failed to further censor beyond wrapping quotations around it I think? I feel like it was relevant to the ongoing conversation either in chat or on-comms at the time, not 100% sure, it was late I feel like and my cognitive performance was not operating fully. Here is an exact link & time of the clip in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbSsZbPwBPM&t=8s

I also remember immediately acknowledging how I had poorly communicated that part of the skit and apologizing - as you said, we had the conversation. Additionally I figured you to be the type who would hang poo poo over someone's head later on down the road, so I feel like I had a follow up comment along the lines of "I hosed up, I'll own it when it gets posted."

This is me owning it, and apologies for taking short cuts that might have resulted in something offensive, it surely wasn't my intent. Just wanted to point out a hilarious line from a Frayser Boy single (an affiliate of the old 3-6 Mafia).

To my recollection I never used the 'n' word in my own creative capacity nor outside the context of quoting something, and by 'something' I'm referencing the poor quotation discussed above.

Bigbillthaboss fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jul 25, 2022

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

andromache posted:

It feels like this is targeted at some of the more egregious behaviors - new player hunting with can flipping or relentlessly making GBS threads on a streamer that someone has decided they don’t like - both of which put the hurt on new player attraction and retention.

Seems like freighter/jump freighter/bowhead/orca popping will still be fine under the “tangible value” phrasing, though how much isk is “tangible” depends very much on the individual. Regardless, whether it’s the isk value or we have a conversation with the GM where “actually we have this tool where we’ve observed player interactions and locations and have a high degree of confidence this is the neutral alt of X, who is a member of Y, which we are currently at war with.”

When did EVE become "Hello Kitty Space Adventure" and not "Welcome to the Thunderdome"?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Xolve posted:

When did EVE become "Hello Kitty Space Adventure" and not "Welcome to the Thunderdome"?

when new player retention was even worse than what was previously thought possible

RustySeabutter
Nov 11, 2000

Puncho!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

when new player retention was even worse than what was previously thought possible

the same as basically all full-loot open PVP games

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
it's a bit much when a newbie spends a day doing all the missions like a good noob, heads out to the suggested next set of agents and then immediately gets ganked by 8 10 year old players in catalysts who turn round and say "well you could alway buy 9 accounts and come fight us" or some such bollocks.

In 2022 it's a big factor in killing the game, for the gratification for a couple of hundred people who should really have hosed off into low sec or WH space 5 years ago.

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful

Isn’t it technically colonizing to edit an artist of color/non white westerner’s art if you’re just broadcasting that art to others?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

aioli is just mayo posted:

Isn’t it technically colonizing to edit an artist of color/non white westerner’s art if you’re just broadcasting that art to others?

Sometimes a lyric quote from someone with 0 original ideas in their head is just a lyric quote.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Serious Eve question: what NPC stations can be set, remotely, as a home station? I'm trying to get as close to Amarr as possible.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Ynglaur posted:

Serious Eve question: what NPC stations can be set, remotely, as a home station? I'm trying to get as close to Amarr as possible.

Your chosen subfraction's "school" station and I think that's it. That's one of the many reasons that caldari is the best start, because your school station is less than 10 jumps from Jita

E: also once a year you can change your clone to any station with cloning services that your corporation has an office in

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Vilgan posted:

Sounds like they are still around (the wormhole dudes)

What happened with holesquad after the SQWID schism, anyhow? Did it get rebooted?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Rust Martialis posted:

saladin is when u get some great romaine, home baked croutons, and fresh parm, then douse that with some caesar dressing and go to town

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Vilgan posted:

lmao

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

twigplant posted:

uh oh, our d-name poster relapsed into d-name posting. :cripes:

How can you be here for thirteen years and not spot an obvious copy-paste? I just presumed it was another from the serried ranks of frustrated MRAs in gsf's Karmafleet cultural guard.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

causticBeet posted:

the most recent exodus is totally irrelevant and like 75% of the posters in this thread slash “true goons” probably left GSF years and years ago in one of the many expellings of schismatics

I’m trying to remember any point we actually had schismatics and it wasn’t the directors literally creating them whole cloth out of lovely behavior and drawing a blank.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

esto es malo posted:

saladin is when u get some great romaine, home baked croutons, and fresh parm, then douse that with some caesar dressing and go to town

lol

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

esto es malo posted:

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigbillthaboss
Feb 25, 2013

TRASH ASS EDGELORD,
PUT ME ON IGNORE

esto es malo posted:

I prefer to use kale and blend it all up for a lunch time smoothie