Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

TheresaJayne posted:

Thanks!

Senior Devs where i work earn around £35K ($48k)

Graduates get about £20k ($30k)

and this is a much sought after dev position (working in the space and Defence industry)

There's a reason why not much cool stuff is coming out of the UK right now

It also suddenly explains why so many of my colleagues at my internship are british.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

wilderthanmild posted:

40k "tops" is very low, yes, but this is either trolling or you're using absolute cream of the crop for your example. Using payscale and other similar websites this would seem to be the tippy top for entry level.

Cream of the crop are making 350 at Google.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Nobody's making 350 at Google as an entry level programmer.

mystes
May 31, 2006

TacoHavoc posted:

Usually from within the local network. Sometimes remotely.

The app finds the device by IP.

I realize how stupid this all sounds, but based on the mix of situations this product is expected to work in (potentially unconnected to the internet, absolutely operated by the technically inept, across a variety of platforms), it just seems like there aren't a lot of good answers to a lot of the system architecture questions.
The problem is that SSL isn't going to do anything without being able to know you're actually taking to the right device (to prevent mitm). Probably the most you could do is just a self-signed certificate with a fingerprint that you print on a piece of paper that comes with the device.

You could also use your own CA that the user would have to trust but it's not going to do much good without domain names; it would pretty much only allow you to add a preassigned name that would show up in the certificate.

It might actually be better to just enable SSL as an option so that companies that are competent and either have their own internal CA or understand self signed certificates can enable it. This would make the chain of trust the user's problem.

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 28, 2015

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

TheresaJayne posted:

Thanks!

and this is a much sought after dev position (working in the space and Defence industry)

You guys also have a first-world healthcare system and mostly-functional social programs, so

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

The UK economy is not directly comparable to the US economy.

Ahernia
Feb 9, 2005
Edit: Just saw the general web development thread!

Ahernia fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 28, 2015

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TheresaJayne posted:

Thanks!

Where in the UK are you? Certainly for anywhere in the southeast, 35k is very low for a senior dev. Hell, it's also low for Manchester.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
You guys depress the gently caress out of me. In my country an entry level programer gets the equivalent of 10k USD. I managed to get a slightly better entry position at a pretty good company, certainly better paying and better actual job and am still only earning ~14k equivalent.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Medieval Medic posted:

You guys depress the gently caress out of me. In my country an entry level programer gets the equivalent of 10k USD. I managed to get a slightly better entry position at a pretty good company, certainly better paying and better actual job and am still only earning ~14k equivalent.

Well, bear in mind cost of living. 10k wouldn't even cover rent in the area of the UK I live in.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Medieval Medic posted:

You guys depress the gently caress out of me.
I make half of the median of my education level :cool:

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Medieval Medic posted:

If you get to that value because of coin conversion, well, it's not a good representation of your salary since it will only matter when you import

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Medieval Medic posted:

dehumanize  yourself  and  face  to  FREEDOM

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Munkeymon posted:

You guys also have a first-world healthcare system and mostly-functional social programs, so

Last I checked we have mandatory health insurance with no rejecting based on preexisting conditions, oh no it's more expensive yet somehow we have more disposable income than you.

Sex Bumbo
Aug 14, 2004
Is it not possible to get a contract as an outsourcee? 10/yr Is well below minimum wage here, you can probably get more than that by being exploited by Amazon's mechanical turk. Not as a suggestion, just that I'd imagine there's lots of contracts available for way more.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

ultrafilter posted:

Nobody's making 350 at Google as an entry level programmer.

Entry level? No. But there are plenty of people making that with the title Software Engineer II. If you want to hire someone competent, 40k is la la land.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

KernelSlanders posted:

Entry level? No. But there are plenty of people making that with the title Software Engineer II.

I don't believe this. The people who are typically making 300+ at Google or other big tech companies are the people who have very specific skills that the company values very highly because not many people have them. People who are at Software Engineer II just haven't had the time to develop that level of specialized skill.

(And besides, most of that compensation is going to be stock, not cash. It's not really comparable to an ordinary package.)

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

The UK economy is not directly comparable to the US economy.

That is where I work, but the same job in any smaller company is about £50k

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

wilderthanmild posted:

I haven't checked the most recent one yet and didn't post it myself since my boss requires all job postings go out through one person, but last time 40k was explicitly mentioned in the ad and we still got a lot of applications from people who could get way way way better.

They probably think there's a typo and you're missing a 1 in front of the 40.

Even if you find someone at $40k, if they're any decent, you should also be expecting to lose them immediately.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

KernelSlanders posted:

Entry level? No. But there are plenty of people making that with the title Software Engineer II. If you want to hire someone competent, 40k is la la land.

I'd love to know who they are, because if you're a SWE II at Google and you make $350k TC you either rolled a 20 (and confirmed with two more 20s :rolldice: (and the compensation committee was high AF when your packet came)) when negotiating your salary, or you're not really a SWE II and that's just your title for some weird reason.

350k total compensation is upper level dev/management, not even close to SWE II.

Source: I'm a SWE III (edit: III, not II :cripes:) at Google. Please give me the username of these magical SWEs so that I can confirm your story.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 30, 2015

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Volmarias posted:

I'd love to know who they are, because if you're a SWE II at Google and you make $350k TC you either rolled a 20 (and confirmed with two more 20s :rolldice: (and the compensation committee was high AF when your packet came)) when negotiating your salary, or you're not really a SWE II and that's just your title for some weird reason.

350k total compensation is upper level dev/management, not even close to SWE II.

Source: I'm a SWE II at Google. Please give me the username of these magical SWEs so that I can confirm your story.

Wait, are salaries at Google determined by D&D dice rolls? What happens if you roll a 1?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
* grabs critical fail table *
you uh... will have to work at microsoft

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Skandranon posted:

Wait, are salaries at Google determined by D&D dice rolls? What happens if you roll a 1?

You're sent to mountain view and live in a van in the parking lot.

(no your salary is not based on dice rolls although it might seem that way sometimes)

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Volmarias posted:

You're sent to mountain view and live in a van in the parking lot.

Didn't some blogger do this for like a year

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

program666 posted:

* grabs critical fail table *
you uh... will have to work at microsoft

'microsoft' is a funny way to misspell 'oracle'

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Munkeymon posted:

'microsoft' is a funny way to misspell 'oracle'

as if there's any prestige in working for a company outside the apple/google/facebook triangle anyway

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

carry on then posted:

as if there's any prestige in working for a company outside the apple/google/facebook triangle anyway

I was just thinking that at least MS has some best-in-class products that one could aspire to work on.

E: oh, I guess Oracle has ZFS now

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Volmarias posted:

Source: I'm a SWE II at Google. Please give me the username of these magical SWEs so that I can confirm your story.

If by upper level you mean like T4-5 (i.e. two levels above SWE II)

Source: I'm a SWE III at Google.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Edit: snip. I shouldn't talk this much about this. PM me with your ldap if you want to chat about this but I'm 99% sure you're wrong.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 30, 2015

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Munkeymon posted:

I was just thinking that at least MS has some best-in-class products that one could aspire to work on.

E: oh, I guess Oracle has ZFS now

I still have a hard time imagining showing up to an interview at Facebook with Microsoft as your last position and not getting laughed out of the room, much less abjectly irrelevant companies like Oracle.

Sex Bumbo
Aug 14, 2004
Google makes $280k in profit for every employee they have. That is, they could give everyone a $280k raise and then they would break even. If they have a retention problem, throwing money at people might not be the best solution but it is an easy one.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Whats the least number of bits needed to encode characters to store english message/literature (not code, so you can eliminate a bunch of special chars)? Hell, you can eliminate case too as that's not important to the message right?

26 alpha chars
10 numbers
1 space
7 ,."?-+!

44 so far so with 6 bits there's still 20 chars left. So 6 bits?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 1, 2015

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Whats the least number of bits needed to encode characters to store english literature (not code, so you can eliminate a bunch of special chars). Hell, you can eliminate case too as that's not important to the message right?

Isn't it five? Old ticker tapes:

Shifting between the two "cases" is just sending a code and then all stuff after that is "toggled" (like capslock) which might be cheating, but you can use the lower row and no swap if you don't need numbers.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Jewel posted:

Shifting between the two "cases" is just sending a code and then all stuff after that is "toggled" (like capslock) which might be cheating, but you can use the lower row and no swap if you don't need numbers.

Oh I never thought of that. Interesting. Not sure if there's much to be saved with special switch codes if you end up compressing the whole message as well.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The fewest number of aggregate bits is likely to be some sort of variable-width Huffman coding, because there are many many more "e"s than "z"s. So encoding e with 3 bits and z with 10 is likely to give savings overall.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Jewel posted:

Please don't bring back ISO-2022.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

This is probably really obvious, but I'm not figuring out what to google. In powershell, I'm making a script to archive old items in some folders. I'm having trouble at this line: move-item -path $olditems\ -destination "C:\Users\me\DownloadsArchive. Olditems is everything in downloads that hasn't been accessed in 30 days. The thing is, it wants a specific file name. Do I have to do a for each object to get this to work?

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

Jewel posted:

Using that kind of logic, we can probably use even fewer bits. For a given N bits, you could use the first N/2 to toggle different charsets and the last N/2 to specify letters in the last chosen charset. That should give you 2^(2N - 2) characters, so 4 bits gets you 64 characters.

However, allowing state to carry forward like this is a bit strange given how the question was asked. You could argue that with stateful encoding, all you really need is 1 bit. If the question is really "what's the smallest way to store all English literature" then a lookup table for common words and phrases and Huffman encoding for uncommon words is probably the way to go, but I'm mostly just talking out my rear end at this point.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Using a bit to switch character sets is literally just a less general form of Huffman encoding.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
If only there existed an extensive body of research on compressing English text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

This is probably really obvious, but I'm not figuring out what to google. In powershell, I'm making a script to archive old items in some folders. I'm having trouble at this line: move-item -path $olditems\ -destination "C:\Users\me\DownloadsArchive. Olditems is everything in downloads that hasn't been accessed in 30 days. The thing is, it wants a specific file name. Do I have to do a for each object to get this to work?
Yeah, I think so. It's sightly confusing coming from bash because move-item will accept wildcards, but this is functionality within the cmdlet, rather than the shell automatically substituting a list of files, and I believe it will otherwise only take one file at a time.

So do a foreach-object:
$olditems | % {mv $_ C:\Users\me\DownloadsArchive}

mystes fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 2, 2015