Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Solution: stop down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ansel autisms posted:

Solution: stop down

Never.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Has anyone used the Arista C-41 kit? How does it compare to Tetenal Press Kit?

1) It'd be easier to order the Arista kit along will all my other chemicals from freestyle.
2) It's a liquid mix...which is less of a pain than the powders.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
4x5 Acros. Just a bit short of 1:1.

Staples & Nails by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

So good.

How do you like the unicolor kit?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

drat this owns really hard

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

I spent longer than I should have trying to figure out where you took that from before I realized that wasn't the space needle.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The glow from the city looks so drat cool.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

vxsarin posted:

So good.

How do you like the unicolor kit?

It's identical to the Tetenal powder kit in every way. The only difference is the label on the box.

I screwed up something though, maybe cross contamination or maybe temperatures, because everything came out with a nasty green cast and most other colors were very washed out. The film base was dark brown. Didn't seem to affect these night shots too much though. It's not the film because the same thing happened to another roll of fresh Fuji 400H :(

And thanks everyone! It was foggy that night which added to the glow.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

There's a nice Blade Runner vibe to it!

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm watching youtubes to develop 120 film, is there a preferred method to wind the film on the reel ?

Some people get rid of the paper backing completely before engaging into the reel, others just go progressively and leave the paper to accumulate next to the reel.
I think the first method lets the film roll on itself and would be more risky but maybe not.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
I just developed some 120 film for the first time in a good while and my technique was to spend about about 20 minutes fumbling around in the changing bag like an idiot.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

unpacked robinhood posted:

I'm watching youtubes to develop 120 film, is there a preferred method to wind the film on the reel ?

Some people get rid of the paper backing completely before engaging into the reel, others just go progressively and leave the paper to accumulate next to the reel.
I think the first method lets the film roll on itself and would be more risky but maybe not.

I do option 2. I also find 120 easier to get on the spool than 35.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
Option 2, but recently I started tearing off the extra paper backing once I got to the film. Made it a bit less difficult, especially if I fumbled the first attempt at getting it loaded on the reel.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I've been removing the backing completely, but the other way worked too when I tried it.

Agreed that 120 is way easier than 35mm to get on the reel, especially with steel reels.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

BANME.sh posted:

I've been experimenting with photoshop actions to speed up the color correcting process for my scans. I got it down to a pretty reliable set of actions that gets me within 99% of the final image most of the time.

I am offering it here for anyone to give it a try and let me know how it works for you. Post results!

All of the edits are non-destructive so you can tweak or undo things as desired. It only requires that your scans are positive, and all of the frame borders need to be cropped out before running the action. You might also get better results if you clone out all of the dust and scratches before applying the actions, because anything pure white will throw it off.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55540/Film%20Editing.atn

Just used this for the first time to see how it worked. It was perfect. This is awesome.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

I remove the paper entirely before starting to put it on the reel. I feel like it gets in the way and I've never had the film scratch itself or anything like that.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I tried letting the paper leave on the side as I went on and it worked great.
e:

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 15, 2016

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
Untitled by Phillip Chicola, on Flickr

Marvel
Jun 9, 2010
I have access to a darkroom/enlarger for the first time in my life, but only for a few days. I just printed my first negative on some expired paper that had laying around. It was super fun.

What is some good photo paper I should buy to print my photos on? I'd like to print BIG but probably won't because it would be a waste of money.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Ilford fiber paper has always been my choice.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You won't go wrong with Ilford Multigrade papers, but there's also a bunch of interesting, small brands in Europe, making more unique things. I think you'll mostly have to try them out.

Like, recently I discovered the Slavich Bromoportrait line, which has fixed-grade papers with various surfaces, including an option for a patterned/embossed one. It probably won't work with every subject, but it does make for some potentially interesting effects.

Marvel
Jun 9, 2010
OK I got some Ilford fiber paper and some RC paper. I have to be careful not to piss off any of the super serious community college darkroom nerds, they were weirdly aggro about a newbie coming in. It wasn't much of a place for learning/experimentation, more of a place for I'M SERIOUS ABOUT MY ART.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Marvel posted:

OK I got some Ilford fiber paper and some RC paper. I have to be careful not to piss off any of the super serious community college darkroom nerds, they were weirdly aggro about a newbie coming in. It wasn't much of a place for learning/experimentation, more of a place for I'M SERIOUS ABOUT MY ART.

hand them all photograms of your balls, establish dominance

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
A friend is gonna sneak me into the university lab on Tuesday. Should be fun.

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela
Fuji Superia 200 with my Nishika N8000 and a flash last Halloween in Hongdae, Seoul.

Hongdae Halloween by Nestor Lacle, on Flickr

Hongdae Halloween by Nestor Lacle, on Flickr

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Do people in Korea play Payday?

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela

404notfound posted:

Do people in Korea play Payday?

No clue its been ages since I stepped into a PC bang.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
To the guy who did the Photoshop action for processing positive scans, here's some more Portra 400 from your friendly colorblind dad-tographer.

Chair by Matt Philpott, on Flickr

View by Matt Philpott, on Flickr

And because we were talking about overexposing Portra, I metered this at +2 stops. Hit the process button, punched up the contrast and sharpened a touch is all.

Tree by Matt Philpott, on Flickr

Huxley fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 24, 2016

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Welp. So I found out that my thermometer somehow drifted approximately 2-5 degrees C in the past few months, which explains why all my BW development has been coming out too dark and my C-41 has been almost completely botched. I did a batch last night using a regular alcohol thermometer and the development turned out perfect.

I was doing some macro photography with my Mamiya C220 and factored in the exposure compensation for the red filter I was using, the bellows extension, and reciprocity failure, and ended up calculating that a 1/2 sec exposure should instead be 40 seconds with those variables. Miraculously the exposures came out perfect on my first attempt, except I forgot to compensate for parallax correction at the extremely close distances I was working with so the entire roll was basically a waste.

Film.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 24, 2016

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
My Thermapen has paid for itself multiple times over. http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I've wanted one of those for a long time after the praise they get on America's Test Kitchen, but I always find a reason to avoid spending $100 USD on a thermometer. I should probably just bite the bullet though.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

This is my first big boy attempt at anything resembling still life. I shot these on HP5+ with my Mamiya C220. F16 and 40 second exposures using available light. Nailing focus and correcting for parallax that close-up was a bitch.

I am planning on making prints using my enlarger and having them framed together as an anniversary gift for my wife (she loves calla lillies). I originally wanted to have extreme close-ups on the left and right sides, showing abstract curves of the petals, but couldn't focus close enough and I would have ended up needing to crop too much. So instead this is the arrangement I came up with. I think the one on the far left is the strongest where the other two are decent enough, but I am pretty happy with how they turned out as a whole.

I wanted to print them on 11x14 paper, but again, can't get my enlarger to go that big considering the amount I had to crop. So 8x10 it is.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
That's fantastic. I love that triptych.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

MrBlandAverage posted:

My Thermapen has paid for itself multiple times over. http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/

I totally second this. Plus it's great when grilling steaks or brewing tea!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BANME.sh posted:

This is my first big boy attempt at anything resembling still life. I shot these on HP5+ with my Mamiya C220. F16 and 40 second exposures using available light. Nailing focus and correcting for parallax that close-up was a bitch.

I am planning on making prints using my enlarger and having them framed together as an anniversary gift for my wife (she loves calla lillies). I originally wanted to have extreme close-ups on the left and right sides, showing abstract curves of the petals, but couldn't focus close enough and I would have ended up needing to crop too much. So instead this is the arrangement I came up with. I think the one on the far left is the strongest where the other two are decent enough, but I am pretty happy with how they turned out as a whole.

I wanted to print them on 11x14 paper, but again, can't get my enlarger to go that big considering the amount I had to crop. So 8x10 it is.

Those are fantastic! How did you account for the parallax? Did you use one of those fancy adapters that raises the camera for you?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Thanks! I figured it out by following the guides on the viewfinder and side of the camera after reading the manual. When the guide on the side of the camera says you should compensate for 1.5x exposure, you consider the first horizontal line in the viewfinder as the "top" of the frame. At the 2x exposure compensation level, you use the second horizontal line, and at the 3x level, you consider the middle of the viewfinder to be the "top" of the frame. This means half of your subject needs to be out of frame when you are focused this closely, making focusing super difficult. I wish I had the fancy tripod adapter.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 25, 2016

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I use an oral digital medical thermometer to check the temps on c41 chemicals. Works great as long as you are doing the standard 100°F tetenal rapid kit method. I've wanted to try the slower 86° method, but the thermometer doesn't go that far! I guess if you're body temperature drops that low, you're dead anyway.

I use a standard cheapo thermometer with a dial for B&W, but it's slow and not as accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Mo_Steel posted:

also have your regular reminder that space owns and listening to people talk about something as mundane as the cameras they devised to watch takeoffs owns loving bones

This is pretty cool and film related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFwqZ4qAUkE&hd=1