Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
How could socks ever be a pun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
"They are both whimsical" says Ernie which is both ridiculous and untrue.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Asiina posted:

"They are both whimsical" says Ernie which is both ridiculous and untrue.

Hitler and Deep Dish Pizza have both done unimaginable damage to this world, but they're not both dictators.

...or are they?...

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I :godwin:'ed so fast there.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Asiina posted:

Report on my hangout time with Ernie: we had an argument about whether socks were puns.

Socks are not puns.

Don't listen to her....

When you wear whimsical socks you are performing the physical equivalent of a pun!!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

How could they be?

You don't know?

Socks to be you

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Rarity posted:

You don't know?

Socks to be you

Don't sext. Just send this to the girl you're crushing on instead. If she doesn't fall in love with you she's basically asiina and hates puns

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Ernie. posted:

Don't listen to her....

When you wear whimsical socks you are performing the physical equivalent of a pun!!

When you lick your ice cream you are doing the emotional equivalent of solving a math problem!!

it's just totally unrelated things

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I would end a conversation with someone on Tinder so fast if they used a pun.

Puns are the worst.

All I wanted to do was talk about a cat bar.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

BottleKnight posted:

When you lick your ice cream you are doing the emotional equivalent of solving a math problem!!

it's just totally unrelated things

Bottleknight I need to realize that you are right now ruining everything ...

Socks are mostly not seen by anyone but you. Ergo by wearing whimsical socks you are entertaining yourself more than other people. It's a display of how low your bar of satisfaction with your own humor is - that only you care about. It's the same with a spoken pun. The person delivering the pun is being selfish at that moment. The joke isn't what's interesting, the self deprecation of what they accept as humor is the joke. You're supposed to appreciate the general silliness of the situation not accept that the person is brilliant in any way!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Asiina posted:

I would end a conversation with someone on Tinder so fast if they used a pun.

Puns are the worst.

All I wanted to do was talk about a cat bar.

This all started because asiina and I said a bring your own cat bar would be amazing

And I said I'd go for a hisskey sour

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Puns are great.

Socks are not, inherently, a pun. Neither are whimsical socks.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Ernie. posted:

Socks are mostly not seen by anyone but you. Ergo by wearing whimsical socks you are entertaining yourself more than other people. It's a display of how low your bar of satisfaction with your own humor is - that only you care about. It's the same with a spoken pun. The person delivering the pun is being selfish at that moment. The joke isn't what's interesting, the self deprecation of what they accept as humor is the joke. You're supposed to appreciate the general silliness of the situation not accept that the person is brilliant in any way!

Socks are seen by everybody, Ernie! I mean it depends on if your pants are properly hemmed, but I always notice socks. Whimsical socks are cool and good. Puns are not!

Similarly, puns can have many applications. My reaction to puns can go from "Bah, whatever, shut up" all the way to a mcmahon "heyooooooo!" depending on the quality. Maybe your puns are just really bad normally? In that case I agree, the self-deprecation is probably the only recourse.

edit: puns are voldemort. They're great. Terrible, but great.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Little Mac posted:

Puns are great.

Socks are not, inherently, a pun. Neither are whimsical socks.

I did not say socks are puns I made a nuanced argument about the intent of human action and asiina is character assassinating me over this !! She doesn't even hate me she just hates what I'm defending!!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Ernie. posted:

Except my awesome fancy socks aren't hurting anybody. Your pun caused me physical and emotional pain.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Asiina posted:

Except my awesome fancy socks aren't hurting anybody. Your pun caused me physical and emotional pain.

help our students are shielding themselves from alternative viewpoints sensitivity of college students across the country are at an all time high

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Asiina posted:

Well aren't shoe grumpy today?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I think Asiina's stocking a bad place

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Rarity posted:

Well aren't shoe grumpy today?

Be careful asiina will tell you to put a sock in it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Asiina, you're being very tight with your laughs today

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I hate all of you. You are disgusting human beings.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Rarity posted:

Asiina, you're being very tight with your laughs today

I feel like I'm almost reduced to legging for laughs.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Asiina posted:

I hate all of you. You are disgusting human beings.

Asiina will never see a sock puppet show the same way ever again!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
You need to stop letting your emotions flip flop like this. Some thongs aren't important sandals that matters is just having fun

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

The intent of whimsical socks, I would imagine, is to cover a sense of loneliness for the brief moment where someone points out your socks and goes "that's funny" but doesn't actually laugh.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Rarity posted:

You need to stop letting your emotions flip flop like this. Some thongs aren't important sandals that matters is just having fun

:drat:

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Hey did I ever tell you guys the chances of Asiina enjoying a pun you make,

It's 50%, either she does or she doesn't

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Ernie. posted:

This all started because asiina and I said a bring your own cat bar would be amazing

:lol:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Magnus Gallant posted:

Hey did I ever tell you guys the chances of Asiina enjoying a pun you make,

It's 50%, either she does or she doesn't

Ernie, you know how much this annoys you? That is how I feel about puns.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Imagine being that guy who's known for wearing "fun socks." How depressing would that be?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Also nobody should listen to Ernie. He thinks correlation implies causation.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Little Mac posted:

Imagine being that guy who's known for wearing "fun socks." How depressing would that be?

Hi

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Like imagine that was your thing. "Oh Sam? Who? The socks guy? Oh yeah."

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I have a collection of robot socks. They are very good and have brought happiness to me as well as many others in my life.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Ernie. posted:

gently caress man

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I have batman socks. I like to slide across the hardwood going nanananananana

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Also I guess I never considered that some people might live sad lives where others do not see their socks very often

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Asiina posted:

Also nobody should listen to Ernie. He thinks correlation implies causation.

I CONFIDED IN YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
There's nothing quite like a unique sock.

I love fancy socks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Asiina you love puns, you cannot denniere it