Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Act as a magnet for unhinged comments at the bottom of the article?

lol never change albertans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Act as a magnet for unhinged comments at the bottom of the article?

Thankfully, there seems to be more than a few other commenters telling those guys where to shove their attitude.

Tossed $100 into the Red Cross AFA. Seems piddling, but it's all I can spare right now.

St. Dogbert fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 5, 2016

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Ikantski posted:

*Humans except single hetero men

If only they had funneled their $$$ through Ezra

https://twitter.com/ezralevant/status/728320999943507968

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Why don't we take care of our homeless and are troops before we start giving money to the lazy Albertans?

We need to think of our own first before we start giving hand outs

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
let the western bastards burn

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

brucio posted:

If only they had funneled their $$$ through Ezra

https://twitter.com/ezralevant/status/728320999943507968

I can only hope Ezra middle manning the funding won't jeopardize the Alberta / Federal gov matching for individual donations, otherwise that is quite a bit of lost funding. At least his heart is in the right place aside the fact it is a partisan issue for him.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Ezra "donated" 10K in his own name and later admitted the money came from "Rebel staff and supporters"

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

I wonder what Fort Mac is gonna look like after they rebuild it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

quaint bucket posted:

I wonder what Fort Mac is gonna look like after they rebuild it.

lovely cheap sprawl?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/728278990025297920

:unsmith:

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
Fort McMurray is very unique in that almost the entire city is based around the oil sands. The people that have purchased property there should be aware that the value of their property is directly tied to one of the most environmentally destructive projects in the world. And that isn't even considering the oil sands affect on climate change. So it's very difficult for garner sympathy for those people, especially when you introduce the idea that climate change might be partially responsible for the destruction.

These people built their house in the sand

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Helsing posted:

CanPol is a thread for people who would publicly apologize to you if you bumped into them while secretly hoping you have terminal cancer metastasizing in your bowels.

How British.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
My friends have finally reported in - they were in the bush on survey when it happened, took them this long to get back to something resembling civilization.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Kafka Esq. posted:

My friends have finally reported in - they were in the bush on survey when it happened, took them this long to get back to something resembling civilization.

Glad to hear they're safe.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

never happy posted:

Fort McMurray is very unique in that almost the entire city is based around the oil sands. The people that have purchased property there should be aware that the value of their property is directly tied to one of the most environmentally destructive projects in the world. And that isn't even considering the oil sands affect on climate change. So it's very difficult for garner sympathy for those people, especially when you introduce the idea that climate change might be partially responsible for the destruction.

While I want to agree with you there's still a significant enough minority of folks who aren't working for the oil companies' interests and they potentially lost it all as surely as the worst rig pig stereotypes may have. People every municipality needs: teachers, pharmacists, etc. Even if they only make up 10% it's still sad as gently caress for them.

E: Should probably disclose that my sister's in-laws have a family affected and both parents were employed by the school district. Their home and work burned down and they're flipping out over bankruptcy etc. I've had to talk people off ledges the last couple days.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 5, 2016

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It's a terrible thing to lose your home.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

never happy posted:

Putting a moral tinge on your schadenfreude just makes you sound like one of those people who claims that any money given to the homeless will just be spent on drugs.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
It's not even something as clinically simple as that. Be forced to leave your home, possibly pets, drive through flames and smoke all around you, endure the evacuation highway where people are having to abandon cars with smoke/fire in sight. It's a textbook traumatic ordeal.

Once you can finally feel like you're not at risk of fiery death, you wait for confirmation that you did lose your home, wonder if insurance will come through, wait for insurer turnaround all the while your kids are wondering what the gently caress and feeling everything even harder than you are.

Wild stuff.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Brannock posted:

jm20's point isn't even hard to understand but people keep on willfully misunderstanding him as Animal Hitler or something and it's funny

Boy that sure is transparent in what it's trying to do.

Nah

Here's something that got dug up from last year that should rile up our favorite posters

https://twitter.com/BCGovNews/status/621719571851026436

That was a proposal that ended up becoming a tripling of previous fines. Of course, as with all flat fines, this ends up hitting the poor while the rich can basically write it off without a second thought

edit: thought, not though

I'm not surprised that Syrian refugees are doing what they can to help. They are a hospitable and generous people for the most part (and they're actively fleeing their country precisely because of the small minority that seriously sucks).

Also, I think it's cool and good to fine people heavily if they're too goddamn ignorant to use an ashtray when they smoke, especially in a car since you know you will smoke in it and you have ample room to carry a receptacle. At the very least, you should extinguish the cigarette, strip all remaining tobacco out and step on it, and then throw your butt in a garbage can. This is very simple, it's not too much to ask.

never happy posted:

Hello. You are a giant oval office. Goodbye.

Edit: one more thing: this is why you always fill up as soon as you're down to half a tank. So what if you don't technically have to? You can't have too much fuel unless your car is literally on fire.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 5, 2016

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Oh Cheryl Gallant

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

never happy posted:

So it's very difficult for garner sympathy for those people, especially when you introduce the idea that climate change might be partially responsible for the destruction.

https://twitter.com/beatonna/status/727882832048230400
https://twitter.com/beatonna/status/727884163097997313

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

RCAF commander gently informs MP Cheryl Gallant that Canada doesn’t have stealth fighters

quote:

Cheryl Gallant: “How important is it that Canada operates its fifth-generation stealth fighter as part of our commitment to NORAD?”

Lt.-Gen. Michael Hood: “Well, we don’t have a fifth-generation stealth fighter."

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Presumably she was trying to use the question/answer to make a case for buying the F-35 but said "its" stealth fighter instead of "a" stealth fighter?

Oh god I'm starting to understand her, send help.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Dallan Invictus posted:

Presumably she was trying to use the question/answer to make a case for buying the F-35 but said "its" stealth fighter instead of "a" stealth fighter?

Oh god I'm starting to understand her, send help.

Did you fall and hit your head?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Honestly it's like watching Pat Robertson say that people died in an earthquake because of homosexuality.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Dreylad posted:

Honestly it's like watching Pat Robertson say that people died in an earthquake because of homosexuality.

More like frackers dying in an earthquake, if we're making a honest analogy here.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Brannock posted:

More like frackers dying in an earthquake, if we're making a honest analogy here.

We're not.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

Aside from the last year, I've lived in Alberta my entire life. And for the most of my adult life I have worked in the oil & gas industry. For me these people aren't cartoons. I don't think anybody deserves to endure this sort of suffering. My post was about the insane response to the fires. There wasn't a reaction like this during the Cold Lake fires. But when you have the epicenter of so many problems this country faces go under flames, the response is going to be fucky

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Brannock posted:

Maybe like civilians whose mayor supports ISIS dying in a bombing run?

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

And I now realize that I was justifying the suffering of these people. I am wrong, and what I said was short sighted.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
This fire is tearing our great nation apart. Our national fabric cannot sustain. The only solution is to cut Alberta loose and let it all burn down. Perhaps a future generation will settle there once the ashes have cooled.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Wedge Regret
It's almost like we as a society should stop listening to people who have no idea what the gently caress they are talking about.

Including me.

Peace out.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Here I found someone we can all hate together: the police

quote:

According to the RCMP, officers arrived at 1:20 p.m., and surrounded the house. There was a confrontation involving someone who exited the home, police said.

At 2:50 p.m., RCMP said, shots were fired and the elderly mother and son were both dead in their backyard. No officers were injured.

Neither the police nor independent investigators have released any further information as a probe into the situation continues.

Family and friends of Jovan and Shirley said that the shooting was a culmination of about seven years of escalating conflict between the family and some of their neighbours.

Williams said her mother told her that she believed her family’s complaints of harassment were linked to racism because Shirley, a white woman, married a First Nations man and had Indigenous children.

“Once they found out that my mom had an Indian husband and two Indian children she was really looked down upon by this certain clique,” she said.

Williams said that group included one unnamed ex-police officer who she believed was intimidating and harassing her family.

She said he was friends with their elderly neighbour across the street, Hank Fahr, who Williams alleges assaulted her brother with a baseball bat.

APTN knocked on Fahr’s door to ask him to respond to the allegations, which have not been tested in court, but there was no response.

The Vancouver Sun reported that Fahr’s wife Lynn said what people are saying about them is “bullsh*t.”

Williams said the harassment began with small acts of vandalism to her mother’s beloved garden such as plants getting broken and cut overnight.

Then, the plastic covering her greenhouse was slashed several times.

When Shirley and Jovan set up surveillance cameras with motion sensors, they were turned around overnight and the wires cut, Williams said.

Jovan, who moved back home to help his aging mother, set up ropes with bells attached so they could hear potential intruders, and a homemade lock on their backyard fence.

Eventually, Williams said, the two got their firearms licences and bought rifles for protection, which they kept locked up in their house.

“She couldn’t understand, she was trying to figure it out for years,” Williams said.

“She had gone to the cops but there were several occasions when she went back and add to her complaint, she would find out that her complaints that she tried to register just disappeared. They never existed. It got to a point where she had to document everything at home because she wasn’t getting anywhere.”

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Oh Andrea Horwath

quote:

http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/ndp-demands-energy-minister-bob-chiarelli-be-fired-for-misogynist-comments-1.2889610

ORONTO -- New Democrat Leader Andrea Horwath is demanding Energy Minister Bob Chiarelli be fired for comments directed at her that she calls sexist and misogynist.
Chiarelli apologized in the legislature Wednesday after he was heard saying Horwath "pees all over the map" on energy issues, but insisted he never actually said that and meant to say only that "she's all over the map."
Horwath says it wasn't a real apology because Chiarelli didn't admit he'd done anything wrong, and claims his "disgusting slur" comparing her actions to a dog's was meant to demean and embarrass her so she would "shut up."
NDP want Wynne to give details of Liberal MPPs disciplined for sexual harassment
She says anyone who watches the video of the energy minister's comments in the legislature would agree it is "obvious" that he did not misspeak.
The NDP leader also says Premier Kathleen Wynne should immediately remove Chiarelli from the Ontario cabinet.
Horwath says Wynne should be ashamed of herself for supporting Chiarelli, and claims the premier is not standing up for the women in Ontario.

Female dogs do not pee to mark their territory, and suggesting someone is peeing on things to mark their territory isn't misogynistic, so maybe shut up?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I agree not misogynistic and actually kind of a funny saying I may start using. It is a good indication of how easily Chiarelli lies though cause he definitely said pees.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Oh yeah he totally said that and the apology's a load. Also how I managed to beat you on an onpol story is kind of creeping me out man.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
If you're opposed to climate change it's a good thing fort mac burned to the ground and the people that lived there and made money hand over fist from destroying the planet deserve their houses to be burned to the ground.

People need to harden the gently caress up and realize taking a stand means being militant in your beliefs because this is a goddamn war.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
^^^^ ah yes the war where we post hot takes on the internet. Way to stand up for your beliefs.

What does pees all over the map even mean?

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 6, 2016

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I have no idea but compared to the gibberish that purports to explain how this could possibly be misogynistic, it's a downright sensible thing to say. Like, if I say or do something stupid and people rip on me it's because they think I'm a friggin idiot, not cause they're misandrist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Jordan7hm posted:

^^^^ ah yes the war where we post hot takes on the internet. Way to stand up for your beliefs.

What does pees all over the map even mean?

Or you can be the moron that purports to advocate progressive policies while crying over people losing the mcmansion suncor built. That place is a loving shithole and it should disappear, along with the morally culpable employees that built it.