Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Maltesers are definitely better. I also really liked Jammy Dodgers, which you can buy in some stores in the US that have an import section but they're always stale :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

What do I do with all these frozen raspberries (and cloudberries) that dad gave to me? Besides putting them in pies or eating them with ice cream? I feel like I should be making more of an effort than that, since he drove 600 km to deliver them (on his way somewhere else, but still).

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Make raspberry syrup or purees for mixed drinks/anything else that can be jazzed up with raspberry! Any kind of pork or game dish is generally made better with the application of red berries as well. Also, they last pretty well in the freezer, so eating them slowly over time isn't going to hurt them.

...I have come into possession of an octopus. My plan was to boil it, marinate it, and grill it. Does anyone have any particular recipes for octopus that I should follow?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

jkk posted:

What do I do with all these frozen raspberries (and cloudberries) that dad gave to me? Besides putting them in pies or eating them with ice cream? I feel like I should be making more of an effort than that, since he drove 600 km to deliver them (on his way somewhere else, but still).

I got an idea, Agar eyeballs

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/f0tyhCF.jpg :nws:
(just being careful you know)

Agar is a type of gelatin from red seaweed and you can use it to make these amazing looking eye balls, but here is where the raspberries come in: Put them in the center of each eyeball then take a toothpick and carefully poke into the raspberry once its set and you will get like these blood lines that look awesome.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Senior Scarybagels posted:

I got an idea, Agar eyeballs

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/f0tyhCF.jpg :nws:
(just being careful you know)

Agar is a type of gelatin from red seaweed and you can use it to make these amazing looking eye balls, but here is where the raspberries come in: Put them in the center of each eyeball then take a toothpick and carefully poke into the raspberry once its set and you will get like these blood lines that look awesome.

Recipe please.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
I'm a big fan of beans, and decided to quit purchasing them canned. Unfortunately, my first experience with dried beans caused a terrorism investigation due to a suspected nerve agent release in the building I worked in (they didn't find out it was me or I'd probably be in Gitmo now). So I tried soaking the beans overnight, but I didn't notice much of a difference. Then I tried soaking overnight with a little bit of lemon juice, which I think may have helped a little, but I was still bloaty and uncomfortable all day, and finally, in desperation, I started doing a 24 hour soak, with a drain/rinse 12 hours in. It still helped but it just wasn't enough, ie it went from Really Really Bad, to just Really Bad.

I typically cook my beans all day in a crock pot, and they're typically pinto beans and 'small red beans', so perhaps I need to replace the acidic solution with a basic solution?

I also will eat about .5 - 1.5 cups (dried and depending on my calorie goals for the day) in the evening, so maybe I'm just eating too many? I generally have no problems with eating canned beans nor with canned chili so I'm pretty certain this is a technique thing. It would be too much to go to the 'quick soak' method with a pressure cooker, but I suppose I could and just pressure cook my bean creations instead of using the crock pot.

Please help me restore my relationship with beans, and with the outside world!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

ProfessorBooty posted:

I'm a big fan of beans, and decided to quit purchasing them canned. Unfortunately, my first experience with dried beans caused a terrorism investigation due to a suspected nerve agent release in the building I worked in (they didn't find out it was me or I'd probably be in Gitmo now). So I tried soaking the beans overnight, but I didn't notice much of a difference. Then I tried soaking overnight with a little bit of lemon juice, which I think may have helped a little, but I was still bloaty and uncomfortable all day, and finally, in desperation, I started doing a 24 hour soak, with a drain/rinse 12 hours in. It still helped but it just wasn't enough, ie it went from Really Really Bad, to just Really Bad.

I typically cook my beans all day in a crock pot, and they're typically pinto beans and 'small red beans', so perhaps I need to replace the acidic solution with a basic solution?

I also will eat about .5 - 1.5 cups (dried and depending on my calorie goals for the day) in the evening, so maybe I'm just eating too many? I generally have no problems with eating canned beans nor with canned chili so I'm pretty certain this is a technique thing. It would be too much to go to the 'quick soak' method with a pressure cooker, but I suppose I could and just pressure cook my bean creations instead of using the crock pot.

Please help me restore my relationship with beans, and with the outside world!

The quick soak method has nothing to do with a pressure cooker, it's stove top 10 min boil and 1 hr soak to speed up the usual 6hr cold water soak. Still need 1.5hr stove top cooking or 7min pressure cooker time afterwards.

Also your question was asked 4 pages ago: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437762&pagenumber=407&perpage=40#post418576509

Otherwise:
http://www.webmd.com/drugs/condition-3232-Gas+Flatulence.aspx?names-dropdown=UT

I think here they have something called de-gas, and I know my sister in law is a pharmacist and mentioned something before to me (edit not for me though!), maybe my partner will remember when asked tomorrow, because it was for them.

Simple home remedies I just googled:

quote:

Pressure cooker. Beans that are undercooked are more likely to cause gas than beans that are well-cooked. To ensure that your beans are cooked thoroughly, pull out the pressure cooker and follow the manufacturer's advice for cooking beans. Or, cook them up to pressure for 30 minutes at 15 pounds per square inch on the gauge.

Home Remedies from the Spice Rack

Cardamom seeds. These speed digestion. Add them to sautéed vegetables or to rice or lentils before cooking. You can also chew whole pods or steep pods in boiling water for several minutes to make a tea.

Cloves. They pep up digestion and eliminate gas. Add 2 to 3 whole cloves to rice before cooking. Sprinkle on apples and pears when baking. Or steep 2 to 3 whole cloves in a cup of boiling water for ten minutes, sweeten to taste, and drink.

Coriander. This helps in the downward movement of foods being digested and can ease cramps, hiccups, bloating, and flatulence. Crush the seeds into powder and add to foods such as vegetable stir-fry. Its flavor really enhances curry and Middle Eastern dishes, too.

Fennel seeds. It's an acquired taste, but it may be one well worth acquiring if you're plagued by gas. Fennel's digestive powers are so good that in India, fennel is customarily eaten after a meal to help digestion and freshen the breath. For gas, drink it as a tea by steeping 1/2 teaspoon seeds in 1 cup boiling water for ten minutes. Or, sprinkle them over those gassy vegetables during cooking or add to stir-fries. If you've acquired the taste, fennel also works well cooked into figs, apples, pears, and plums.

Lemon. Stir 1 teaspoon lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda into 1 cup cool water. Skip the ice water; it can start digestive spasms that cause gas. Drink after meals.

Rosemary. If you're eating a gassy food, sprinkle on a little rosemary to cut the effect. You can do the same with sage and thyme, too.

Turmeric. This may stop a gas problem altogether. Turmeric is one of the many flavorful and curative spices found in curry powder. You can add turmeric itself to rice or season a bland dish with curry powder, which contains turmeric. However you use it, it helps alleviate gas.

No idea if they work, but strange those herbs and spices, as well as aestofeda are common in cuisines that involve lots of beans.
Like said before though, they probably only seem to 'work', because the more you eat beans, the less of a problem it seems to be, so they are working backwards and looking at the other foods bean eaters have and claiming they help?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 25, 2013

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Drink and Fight posted:

Recipe please.

http://megayummo.com/2011/10/27/mad-scientist-halloweeen-party-jello-eyeballs/

This is where you can find the recipe that I used (I found during the search for halloween foods for my halloween call of cthulhu games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1ltW_XJ6mk
Here is a video of what they do and look like.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Fo3 posted:

Good stuff

Thanks, I'll take a look at some of this. It just seems odd to me that beans only hate me when I cook them - I think using the slow cooker may have undercooked them (They did seem firmer than they ought to be), and my next step should be some combination of above plus a pressure cooker, which kind of bites because I need to replace one of the gaskets in mine, but that's something I've been meaning to do anyway.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...
Is there a market for secondhand knives? I've got a Henckles chef's knife that, while it's a really nice knife, i much prefer the feel of a santoku. I've never really seen anyone buying / selling knives on SA-mart or anything so I didn't know if there was some faux pas about selling them that I wasn't aware of.

Samswing
Jan 8, 2009

:dukedog:
I got roped into cooking the rehearsal dinner for my brothers wedding and he asked that I specifically make pasta with sausage like we used to eat as kids. The sauce isn't the problem, the pasta is. I'am cooking for roughly 35 people and what I've been provided with is dried pasta and a four-top to cook 10+ pounds of pasta.

I cooked professionally for about 4 years through college and I am ashamed to say, I never made pasta in any kitchen I worked at. I know there is a better way that probably involves pre cooking the pasta. I need insight on par-cooking, and holding dried pasta for a day or two, because I can't imagine cooking that much pasta, same day, right before I mix it in the sauce.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

kinmik posted:

I was reading through one of my magazines recently and stumbled onto an article detailing a wonderful confection called the exotic Nanaimo Bar. Any Canadians (or any goons, really) in here willing to share their recipe?

A friend of mine lives nearby and says this competition winner is pretty drat fine.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Are there any noticeable taste differences between Malabar and Tellicherry peppercorns? I ran out of Malabar peppercorns so I went and decided to spend a bit more and buy a bag of Tellicherry peppercorns instead but I didn't really think it through to save some Malabar peppercorns to taste A/B test them. Just going off of what I remember I want to say the Malabar peppercorns had a bit more "heat" but I don't know since I can't compare. They should be the same plants I thought.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
I bought some sweet potatoes, since I've never used them before and they aren't that common in stores where I live. But I honestly have no idea what to do with them. Can I prepare them the same way I'd do potatoes, or are there specific ways I should know about?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Sjonkel posted:

I bought some sweet potatoes, since I've never used them before and they aren't that common in stores where I live. But I honestly have no idea what to do with them. Can I prepare them the same way I'd do potatoes, or are there specific ways I should know about?

Make chips (fries) or make sweet potato mash with a bit of butter. Or put them in a curry along with chickpeas - sweet potato and chickpea curry is lush! They are pretty similar to potatoes in terms of what you can do with them, but I have found these applications to be the best for making the most out of the flavour difference. I would give them a few minutes in the microwave before cooking with them but that is mainly because I'm impatient.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

whereismyshoe posted:

Is there a market for secondhand knives? I've got a Henckles chef's knife that, while it's a really nice knife, i much prefer the feel of a santoku. I've never really seen anyone buying / selling knives on SA-mart or anything so I didn't know if there was some faux pas about selling them that I wasn't aware of.

I don't think there is. Probably just not something that commonly gets sold.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

kinmik posted:

I was reading through one of my magazines recently and stumbled onto an article detailing a wonderful confection called the exotic Nanaimo Bar. Any Canadians (or any goons, really) in here willing to share their recipe?

franco posted:

A friend of mine lives nearby and says this competition winner is pretty drat fine.

I asked my Mom to send me her recipe that she has been using for years and it was more or less like the one linked (a little less chocolate, milk instead of cream in the filling, etc), so consider this an endorsement, I guess. What I'm really posting to say is go ahead and make them if you haven't already -- Nanaimo bars are the poo poo.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
Looking for some recipe ideas for things to make for my 19 month old son. He is unable to consume cow's milk and soy due to a protein intolerance, and thus it is somewhat difficult to find new ideas for things to give him to eat that are packed with plenty of calories. He loves noodles, but not so much tomatoes or tomato-based sauces. Eats a wide variety of other foods, including both fruits/veggies (beans especially), and meats. He isn't very big on sweets.

Any ideas for some tasty calorie-rich, dairy/soy free foods/recipes?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Does dried kombu pretty much last forever? I have some in a ziploc that's a year old or so and don't know if I should replace it, I haven't used any in ages.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
It might be iffy if he's not a fan of tomatoes, but maybe chili? That's the first thing that comes to mind.

You could also probably make some kind of chili casserole with noodles like bowtie macaroni.

Country-fried steak with a brown gravy and biscuits would be good and filling, too -- I don't think you'll find anyone saying that's low-calorie.

Edit: Beef pot pie would be great, too. Shepherd's pie as well.

Grand Fromage posted:

Does dried kombu pretty much last forever? I have some in a ziploc that's a year old or so and don't know if I should replace it, I haven't used any in ages.

If it was sealed in a dry, dark, cool place then it should be good for... well, a long time. I've heard it starts losing some flavor after a year or so but never experienced it myself -- I have some that I bought when I first came to Japan in... 2007?

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 27, 2013

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
My entire family thinks I'm on crack right now because I decided to last minute enter the fiercely competitive governor's cookie jar competition at the state fair. Why the hell not? I thought. It can't be that hard, I thought. I'm a huge dumbass, basically. My mom is nice enough to send me pictures of some family recipes so I can use some of my grandma's recipes, but none of them have important things like at what temperature to bake them. Is there any kind of guideline for different kinds, or is it pretty much just chuck it in the oven at 375 and cook until done?

Damnit grandma why are there two recipes, and I hope that I'm not pissing off your memory by posting your secret recipes online:

I assume white syrup would be corn syrup?
edit: wait the first recipe has no flour, aaaah grandma. Second recipe it is!

I'm going to need a lard substitute for some recipes: is shortening or coconut oil better for cookies? I'm going to be subbing it in an oatmeal raisin recipe, if that makes any difference.

Here's the definitions I'm working with. I have to have at least one of each kind in my 9-15 different kinds of cookies.
Drop Cookies- dough is dropped by rounded or heaping teaspoonfuls onto baking sheet.
Bar Cookies - spread dough in pan, bake and cut.
Refrigerator Cookies - dough is rolled, chilled, and then sliced and baked.
Rolled Cookies - dough must be rolled and cut into desired shapes with cookie cutter.
Molded Cookies - formed into desired shapes with your hands.

What would something done by a cookie gun be defined as? I'm having a really hard time with the molded cookies category, and so far only have snickerdoodles on sucker sticks to look like corn dogs in that category. I had the idea to do fortune cookies. That would count as a molded cookie, right? I guess I'm going to have to run to the state fair office tomorrow to find out. :suicide:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
If you want to win a contest don't replace the lard :colbert:

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

franco posted:

ChetReckless posted:

I asked my Mom to send me her recipe that she has been using for years and it was more or less like the one linked (a little less chocolate, milk instead of cream in the filling, etc), so consider this an endorsement, I guess. What I'm really posting to say is go ahead and make them if you haven't already -- Nanaimo bars are the poo poo.
Whoa, thanks! Any idea how long they keep for/where to keep them? The custard in the middle makes me think I should keep leftover pieces in the fridge.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

kinmik posted:

Whoa, thanks! Any idea how long they keep for/where to keep them? The custard in the middle makes me think I should keep leftover pieces in the fridge.

We always kept them in the fridge. You want to pull them out a brief while before you want to eat them, though, just to let the chocolate top soften the littlest bit. At least, that's how I like them.

As for how long, well, they never lasted long when we had them. I think you're probably good for at least a week in the fridge, probably even two (though they'll be pretty dry at that point). They also freeze reasonably well.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011

Grape Soda posted:

My entire family thinks I'm on crack right now because I decided to last minute enter the fiercely competitive governor's cookie jar competition at the state fair. Why the hell not? I thought. It can't be that hard, I thought. I'm a huge dumbass, basically. My mom is nice enough to send me pictures of some family recipes so I can use some of my grandma's recipes, but none of them have important things like at what temperature to bake them. Is there any kind of guideline for different kinds, or is it pretty much just chuck it in the oven at 375 and cook until done?

Damnit grandma why are there two recipes, and I hope that I'm not pissing off your memory by posting your secret recipes online:

I assume white syrup would be corn syrup?
edit: wait the first recipe has no flour, aaaah grandma. Second recipe it is!

I'm going to need a lard substitute for some recipes: is shortening or coconut oil better for cookies? I'm going to be subbing it in an oatmeal raisin recipe, if that makes any difference.

Here's the definitions I'm working with. I have to have at least one of each kind in my 9-15 different kinds of cookies.
Drop Cookies- dough is dropped by rounded or heaping teaspoonfuls onto baking sheet.
Bar Cookies - spread dough in pan, bake and cut.
Refrigerator Cookies - dough is rolled, chilled, and then sliced and baked.
Rolled Cookies - dough must be rolled and cut into desired shapes with cookie cutter.
Molded Cookies - formed into desired shapes with your hands.

What would something done by a cookie gun be defined as? I'm having a really hard time with the molded cookies category, and so far only have snickerdoodles on sucker sticks to look like corn dogs in that category. I had the idea to do fortune cookies. That would count as a molded cookie, right? I guess I'm going to have to run to the state fair office tomorrow to find out. :suicide:

Going from the bottom. I'm surprised at their definition of molded cookie, I've always known it as something you you make with an actual mold. There is some good information here http://www.springerlecookies.com/.

Things made from a cookie gun are called pressed cookies and are their own category.

I agree with FishBulb, keep with lard if at all possible. Lard gives you flavor on par with butter and texture on par with shortening, there isn't much that can replace it. It's extra work but either render the lard yourself or find some good lard that needs to be kept refrigerated. If you don't end up going lard I prefer butter for it's flavor and because texture isn't that big of a deal in drop cookies with oatmeal.

Different cookies will have slightly different temperatures, I'd suggest googling a few similar recipes and seeing what they use. In the case of the pfeffernusse in the recipe the internet says 350.

White syrup is indeed corn syrup, specifically light corn syrup.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Kimchi was mentioned a bit ago, and I have some more kimchi questions:

I mixed up a batch earlier today (I wilted the cabbage/scallions, then added pepper/garlic/ginger/miso (vegetarian), then added some water to fix the salt content). It's probably not the most traditional method, but whatever. Anyway, the pepper mixture seems to be separating from the liquid in the jar, is that ok? A bunch has collected on the bottom and a bunch on top with a fairly clear liquid in the middle. My plan is to just leave it until the morning and then put it in the fridge to sit and think about what it's done for a week. I'm assuming I shouldn't close the lid either so I don't get kimchi all over my kitchen. It's probably safe since it's really drat salty, but the taste might be off.

Also, anyone have a preferred method/recipe for some type of mixed rice and kimchi dish? I think it's bibimbap. I had one at a korean restaurant that had stir-fried kimchi with tofu that was served over rice in a hot stone bowl. I'm more or less planning on frying up some kimchi with onions and some tofu and putting it over rice, is that pretty much it? And would it work with brown rice or should I just go with short grain white rice?

Korean restaurants are awesome though, I love the little dishes of stuff they bring out.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That would be kimchi bokkeumbap. The hot stone bowl is for dolsot bap, you can use that to get the crunchy stuff at the bottom. It's fried rice with kimchi and whatever the hell else. Make it the same way you would Chinese fried rice.

It separated because that method is nothing like how kimchi is made, if I'm understanding what you wrote. You basically make a paste with the gochugaru and whatnot and rub it all over the raw cabbage and let it sit. There's no water or cooking involved.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Hot stone bowl is dolsot bibimbap, which, I've been told, was actually invented in Japan. Go figure.

It's usually a hot stone bowl with rice, namul, kimchi, and an egg. The pickled bean sprouts etc. are collectively called "namul," so if you want to round out the toppings look for recipes for that.

The Big Cheese can probably help, too, since he lives in Korea...

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yeah, kimchi shouldn't be liquidy when you first mix it up. You're supposed to salt the cabbage, then smear on the chili paste and let ferment for a week or two.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

flowinprose posted:

Looking for some recipe ideas for things to make for my 19 month old son. He is unable to consume cow's milk and soy due to a protein intolerance, and thus it is somewhat difficult to find new ideas for things to give him to eat that are packed with plenty of calories. He loves noodles, but not so much tomatoes or tomato-based sauces. Eats a wide variety of other foods, including both fruits/veggies (beans especially), and meats. He isn't very big on sweets.

Noodles without tomatoes or dairy...

Do you have access to any nearby Asian markets? You could make quite a few Thai or Vietnamese noodle dishes that avoid dairy or tomatoes and are still relatively heavy meals.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

flowinprose posted:

Is it just cows milk? Because if so, maybe some pesto style sauces with Pecorion instead of parmesan. Hell, you can probably make nice calorie densse sauces with just nuts, greens oil and spices and no cheese at all.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Eeyo posted:

Kimchi was mentioned a bit ago, and I have some more kimchi questions:

I mixed up a batch earlier today (I wilted the cabbage/scallions, then added pepper/garlic/ginger/miso (vegetarian), then added some water to fix the salt content). It's probably not the most traditional method, but whatever. Anyway, the pepper mixture seems to be separating from the liquid in the jar, is that ok? A bunch has collected on the bottom and a bunch on top with a fairly clear liquid in the middle. My plan is to just leave it until the morning and then put it in the fridge to sit and think about what it's done for a week. I'm assuming I shouldn't close the lid either so I don't get kimchi all over my kitchen. It's probably safe since it's really drat salty, but the taste might be off.

Also, anyone have a preferred method/recipe for some type of mixed rice and kimchi dish? I think it's bibimbap. I had one at a korean restaurant that had stir-fried kimchi with tofu that was served over rice in a hot stone bowl. I'm more or less planning on frying up some kimchi with onions and some tofu and putting it over rice, is that pretty much it? And would it work with brown rice or should I just go with short grain white rice?

Korean restaurants are awesome though, I love the little dishes of stuff they bring out.

If you're making water kimchi, yes that tends to happen. Don't worry about it. Just shut the lid, and vent the thing once or twice a day. If you're not tasting the sourness happening after a day, give it another day or two. It'll taste just fine.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

anakha posted:

Noodles without tomatoes or dairy...

Do you have access to any nearby Asian markets? You could make quite a few Thai or Vietnamese noodle dishes that avoid dairy or tomatoes and are still relatively heavy meals.

I've thought about Asian foods, since they typically use very little if any dairy to my knowledge. It seems that coconut milk is frequently used in Thai recipes? However, I have no experience cooking any kind of Asian dishes outside of stir-fried vegetables. Do we have an Asian foods thread here?

DekeThornton posted:

Is it just cows milk? Because if so, maybe some pesto style sauces with Pecorion instead of parmesan. Hell, you can probably make nice calorie densse sauces with just nuts, greens oil and spices and no cheese at all.

From my understanding, other animal milks are at least risky to use. Some kids may be tolerant to goat milk/cheese while others may not. The adverse effect of consuming the milk/soy protein is delayed and may be causing problems even if there are no visible signs/symptoms. So I don't think it is probably worth the risk. I am interested in what you mentioned about dense sauces with nuts and other oils. I know pesto sauce can be made without any form of cheese, as I found a recipe that uses pine nuts. Any other sauces you can think of like this?

I've always been pretty much a meat and potatoes kind of guy, so I don't know that much about cooking outside of BBQ and grilling :(

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

flowinprose posted:

From my understanding, other animal milks are at least risky to use. Some kids may be tolerant to goat milk/cheese while others may not. The adverse effect of consuming the milk/soy protein is delayed and may be causing problems even if there are no visible signs/symptoms. So I don't think it is probably worth the risk. I am interested in what you mentioned about dense sauces with nuts and other oils. I know pesto sauce can be made without any form of cheese, as I found a recipe that uses pine nuts. Any other sauces you can think of like this?

Well, I mostly meant using other greens and nuts than pine nuts and basil. Spinach and walnuts or hazelnuts for instance is tasty, and a lot cheaper than pine nuts.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Thanks for all the kimchi advice! To be clear, I didn't cook it, I meant wilt in the sense that the cabbage got floppy when I rubbed it with the salt. In the future I think I'll either soak the cabbage in a measured brine solution, then drain and then coat in chili, or wash the salted cabbage so it's not too salty and coat. But they should be submerged in brine for proper fermentation, right? Or is that a different type?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Eeyo posted:

Thanks for all the kimchi advice! To be clear, I didn't cook it, I meant wilt in the sense that the cabbage got floppy when I rubbed it with the salt. In the future I think I'll either soak the cabbage in a measured brine solution, then drain and then coat in chili, or wash the salted cabbage so it's not too salty and coat. But they should be submerged in brine for proper fermentation, right? Or is that a different type?

Submerge as much as you can, and if it's being stubborn, just go and rotate your cabbage twice a day, so every piece gets a full submersion.

What I usually do is to rub salt all over the cabbage, and let it set for a few hours until the cabbage wilts. Then I wash off the water, and do a water kimchi solution (because I'm entirely too lazy to sit there and stuff the thing between leaves and junk). It involves a gravy of glutinous rice flour (mochiko), water, onion, scallion, garlic, ginger, a bit of sugar, some salt, and red pepper flakes (if I'm using them; sometimes I'll make a mild version) all ground in the blender to a puree. It smells really harshly garlicky when I start. I then dump the cabbage in the solution, and toss it around. Then, I add enough water to cover the cabbage completely, and press the cabbage all the way down into the brine. The act of pressing it down seems to evacuate air bubbles in the cabbage, and makes them stay where I pressed them. I leave it out for three days. Sometimes I remember to stir it once a day (so the chiles/mass of ginger etc doesn't float to the top and leave the liquid at the bottom), but not always. Either way, I let it sit out for three days. Once it's been out on the counter for three days, I taste for sourness. This is usually enough for my liking, and I stop there. Rarely do I need more time (except in the winter, when the fermentation seems to take longer).

Pretty drat near every /house/ has their own version of kimchi. Don't worry about "authentic". Just go with what tastes good, and enjoy your kimchi.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I have a big ol' box of gochujang because I remember seeing raves about the awesome things you can do with it in here. But now I can't seem to find the threads that had those recipes. I've cooked everything in the wiki under korean food already, and bibimbap is also already in my mind as well. I have lots of Korean staples to work with--rice, rice noodles of various sizes, fish sauce, vinegars, mirin, and most importantly a fearless partner in eating. Give me your Korean / gochujang-containing recipe suggestions, please? I want to go on an adventure!

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
I soaked and cooked a bunch of chickpeas yesterday and would like to make them into dinner tonight. I found this recipe that looks interesting. However, I'm not sure I really want to put cottage cheese into it, and I'm not averse to using actual cheese instead. What would I substitute in that would still leave it creamy and flavorful?

Any other suggestions to make this recipe better?

Chickpea Casserole with Lemon, Herbs & Shallots
Cooked chickpeas form the toothsome base of this delicious dinner casserole. It's vegetarian and so very nice for a meatless supper. But with its herbed and lemony creaminess, it also makes a great side dish for roasted chicken or grilled pork chops.

Serves 6 to 8

Three 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained, or 5 cups cooked chickpeas
1 cup cooked brown rice
4 large shallots, minced or grated
2 cloves garlic, minced
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 large eggs, beaten
1 cup cottage cheese (ideally the small curd variety of cottage cheese)
3/4 cup plain yogurt (ideally full-fat yogurt, and not Greek yogurt; it has too little moisture)
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 stalks fresh rosemary (leaves only)
2/3 cup dried bread crumbs
Olive oil

1. Preheat the oven to 375°F and lightly grease a 9x13-inch or other 3-quart baking dish with olive oil.

2. In a large bowl, mix the chickpeas with the rice, shallots, garlic, and lemon zest and juice. Season with salt and pepper.

3. Mix the beaten eggs in a medium bowl with the cottage cheese, yogurt, and 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese. Finely mince the parsley and fresh rosemary leaves. Stir the cottage cheese mixture and herbs into the chickpea mixture.

4. Spread the mixture in the prepared baking dish and top with the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan and the bread crumbs. (At this point the casserole can be covered and refrigerated for up to 24 hours.) Drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 45 minutes, or until bubbling and golden. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

flowinprose posted:

I've thought about Asian foods, since they typically use very little if any dairy to my knowledge. It seems that coconut milk is frequently used in Thai recipes? However, I have no experience cooking any kind of Asian dishes outside of stir-fried vegetables. Do we have an Asian foods thread here?

The Thai thread is over here; while the Vietnamese thread is already in archives, you can find recipes over at the GWC Wiki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
How do I know what fruits and veg are in season? Is there a chart somewhere?

e: Thanks!

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 28, 2013