Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

InitialDave posted:

Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle!

That looks like it's more for people with physical handicaps than mental ones. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I've stopped caring completely about passing on the right. It's actually pretty nice having a dedicated lane completely free of traffic for miles and miles, less lane changes, and less aggravation at the people in front who refuse to move over to the correct lane.

:11 Cheeky move. (sorry)
:50 Faster traffic using the left lane as intended.
:55 "Oops that's my exit, better cut across".
1:00 Faster traffic from earlier won't leave the left lane, promptly gets tailgated. Tailgater and left lane camper ride off into the sunset.
1:20 Car merging from the on ramp merges directly to the center lane for no real reason (but thanks!)
1:55 Waited 15 seconds for the car in front to make a move.. he doesn't.. because he's about to pass someone camping in the middle lane while the right lane is completely clear.
2:06 "Oops that's my exit, better cut across."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekKhqjkHWNg

NoWake fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 28, 2016

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
We have a dedicated thread, where you can post dashcam vids of your boring commute.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Censoring the speed readout is still the funniest thing to me.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Nitrox posted:

We have a dedicated thread, where you can post dashcam vids of your boring commute.

Oh, I was going for more of a "criticize the drivers around you" kind of post instead of a "recommend me a camera under $100" post.

carry on then posted:

Censoring the speed readout is still the funniest thing to me.

Technically that whole stretch is a construction zone with a 45mph limit, but traffic flows at 70mph+.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The way people disregard construction zone speed limits is shocking to me. Yeah, I don't really want to be doing 50 km/h either, but I sure as gently caress don't want a $1000 ticket because you wanted to speed up to 10 over the normal limit RIGHT NOW, I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL THE ZONE IS OVER. That'd be a 40 km/h over ticket, doubled because of the construction zone. gently caress that, I'll wait the extra 200m.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

PT6A posted:

The way people disregard construction zone speed limits is shocking to me. Yeah, I don't really want to be doing 50 km/h either, but I sure as gently caress don't want a $1000 ticket because you wanted to speed up to 10 over the normal limit RIGHT NOW, I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL THE ZONE IS OVER. That'd be a 40 km/h over ticket, doubled because of the construction zone. gently caress that, I'll wait the extra 200m.

I see your point, however this stretch is more like 20,000m and has been under construction since 2014. Anyone doing the actual limit would get shunted into the jersey barriers, if not shot.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PT6A posted:

The way people disregard construction zone speed limits is shocking to me.

If there's no active construction and light traffic what need is there to reduce the speed limit?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Jonny 290 posted:

For a while, shady fuckers were pulling "wave you through" scams in Arkansas where they'd try to get you to go, then they'd t-bone you and claim you ran the stop sign. I never take another car's suggestion to violate a traffic law. Just go.

That's the George Carlin method. He did a thing where he talked about right of way at an intersection where another driver imperiously waves you ahead. "You. Go."

Of course George's response is "gently caress you! YOU go!" And when you let the other guy proceed you ram into him.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
On my move from Boise to West Michigan, the worst construction zones I saw where in Kansas.

Huge construction zone signs, fine doubled signs, speed limit reductions.

Then nothing for 20 miles. No construction, no vehicles, no surveyors, nothing. Just regular flat road. What the gently caress Kansas?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Basically it is "we are going to eventually rip up and work on this whole area but only want to put up the signs once."

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
RE: Stop/Wave Chat:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Karma Monkey posted:

RE: Stop/Wave Chat:

If that happens, you yield to the person on your right.

If four cars all come to a full stop at the exact same instant, well, go buy a lottery ticket.

There's a somewhat busy 4 way stop I use regularly, and if I notice cars coming from all directions and there might be same grey area on who stopped "first" I'll intentionally lean into my brakes to make sure I get there last just to try and erase a potential stalemate.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Karma Monkey posted:

Hell, it's so bad here that when someone (me) does stop and wave a pedestrian through the crosswalk, they act surprised and/or suspicious.

You know poo poo's bad when people have such little courtesy and respect for others that people end up worrying more about someone being polite because other assholes don't want to pay attention. I've had people honk at me for letting pedestrians cross, whether it's on a public road or in a crosswalk at the store, and there's a stop sign we have to wait at anyhow. The best one was some old whitehair who had to be 75 going on dead who decided stop signs around parking lot crosswalks didn't apply to her and honked at me when I walked to my car, she blatantly ignored the stop sign facing her (not obstructed or faded, in broad daylight) so I flipped her the bird and walked slower just to piss her off. Don't care bitch, walk your diaper-making GBS threads, three-inch-Coke-bottle glasses having old wrinkled dust-farting rear end into traffic and do the world a favor.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

xzzy posted:

If four cars all come to a full stop at the exact same instant, well, go buy a lottery ticket.

There's a somewhat busy 4 way stop I use regularly, and if I notice cars coming from all directions and there might be same grey area on who stopped "first" I'll intentionally lean into my brakes to make sure I get there last just to try and erase a potential stalemate.

Yes, I too understand the rules regarding 4-way stop intersections. However, no one seems to obey them, which is why there was so much discussion about it. Hence my "meme" depicting a 4-way stop as a gunslinger showdown. It's this thing we do here on SA called humor. That's entirely subjective, of course.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

ratbert90 posted:

On my move from Boise to West Michigan, the worst construction zones I saw where in Kansas.

Huge construction zone signs, fine doubled signs, speed limit reductions.

Then nothing for 20 miles. No construction, no vehicles, no surveyors, nothing. Just regular flat road. What the gently caress Kansas?

Anyone driven from Raton to Clayton, NM? it was 65 mph with "fines doubled" up until like 2009 when they widened most of it and bumped the limit up to 70. The whole "safety corridor" thing was basically admitting that any sort of police or EMS presence was at best an hour away.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

xzzy posted:

I do the opposite and don't stop at all.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Elephanthead posted:

I do the opposite and don't stop at all.

no cop, no stop

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Geoj posted:

If there's no active construction and light traffic what need is there to reduce the speed limit?

Because there can be construction vehicles where you can't see them, even after the construction area itself, or maybe they just want to be dicks.

I mean, if they wanted to put END CONSTRUCTION at the end of the construction area, they could've done so, but they didn't. Whether there's a safety reason for that, or it's just so they can write ticket, I'm not going to gently caress around with it just to save 10 seconds. If you can clearly read the sign from the end of the construction area itself, you can probably wait.

On the other hand, gently caress those 20km highway construction zones that have active construction for perhaps a 100m stretch at a time -- those are unsafe because they teach people to ignore construction speed limits. Still, I've been in some of those where the actual construction comes up really fast (not in a flat-rear end area, mind you) so I wouldn't advise going the normal speed for the highway even so.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

PT6A posted:

On the other hand, gently caress those 20km highway construction zones that have active construction for perhaps a 100m stretch at a time -- those are unsafe because they teach people to ignore construction speed limits. Still, I've been in some of those where the actual construction comes up really fast (not in a flat-rear end area, mind you) so I wouldn't advise going the normal speed for the highway even so.

This is how all road construction in Tucson is done. Good thing they do it so infrequently.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

http://q13fox.com/2016/03/16/state-takes-aim-at-slow-drivers-in-the-left-lane-keep-right-except-to-pass/

YESSSSSSSS.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

MikeyTsi posted:

The State doing God's work.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

So are they actually going to ticket people for it?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

wallaka posted:

So are they actually going to ticket people for it?

Yep. WSP is no stranger to issuing citations.

I saw a few units doing what I'm pretty positive was HOV enforcement this morning too, which is also the lord's work.

I'll usually get off with a warning when I get tagged for speeding, but when it comes to "dick move" laws they tend to be strict.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

If people actually get ticketed for this over the period of the enforcement blitz, I expect I'll regularly get boners with no idea why...

I don't get why it's such a hard concept. I will change lanes right if I even see someone behind me in the left-hand lane who might want to overtake. It's so simple. If they don't wish to overtake, I will change lanes back when necessary to overtake traffic in front of me*, and if they do overtake, then everyone is much happier because I chose to change lanes. It's so easy, and it makes highway traffic so much less stressful and lovely.

* Unless they camp in my blind spot and pace me after I change lanes, in which case they can go gently caress themselves with a rusty pitchfork.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's funny, the left lane loitering can get so bad sometimes for me that the far right lane will easily be the fastest lane to be in. Trucks included. It'll be this way for dozens of miles. It's insane.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

um excuse me posted:

It's funny, the left lane loitering can get so bad sometimes for me that the far right lane will easily be the fastest lane to be in. Trucks included. It'll be this way for dozens of miles. It's insane.

Undertaking is dangerous and wrong, but until someone bothers to get all the useless fucks out of the left hand lane, I'll continue to do it without a second thought and just keep a very keen eye for anyone merging.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
Had an encounter as a pedestrian this weekend in a supermarket parking lot. walking from my car to the market, a clapped out minivan swiftly backs out of a parking space and turns. I sidestepped the van and it just barely brushed my arm and stopped as I was at the passenger window, which was rolled down. Which I blurted out "really?" to an elderly couple with very surprised expressions.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.
Motorcycle cop was right in front of me on the way to work today. When we hit the usual stop and go slowdown on the freeway, he started looking in car windows for people on phones. Had someone pulled over in less than 30 seconds. You're doing God's work, Mr. Motorcycle Cop.

And it wasn't even the plainclothes riders they've been using for mobile phone enforcement, just a regular police motorbike that is super recognisable to anyone here in Perth:

You've got to be really engrossed in your phone to not see that slowly rolling up next to you.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Lady almost sideswiped me today because she was loving with who knows what. Pulled up next to her and it looked like she was stuffing clothes in a garbage bag. Then started yelling at me when I gave the "what the gently caress" gesture.

Please, people, just pay a little more attention to driving.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Karma Monkey posted:

Hell, it's so bad here that when someone (me) does stop and wave a pedestrian through the crosswalk, they act surprised and/or suspicious. Same thing when I wave someone into the line of traffic. They hesitate and edge their car into the space by inches at a time, like they think I'm going to gun my engine and smash into them cackling.

I've been doing a thing for pedestrians lately and it seems to work. When I stop for them to cross, I make a wide gesture, like my right arm in a sweeping wave across my dash and look right at them. Kind of like I'm gonna slap a five to somebody walking past. I also try to make sure any traffic behind me can see it too.

I once had to crank my wheel hard right and lurch to block some rear end in a top hat trying to pass on my right when I was stopped for a lady with a baby carriage in a crosswalk. I've never wanted to punch a guy until my hand broke as much as I did in that moment.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

PT6A posted:

Undertaking is dangerous and wrong, but until someone bothers to get all the useless fucks out of the left hand lane, I'll continue to do it without a second thought and just keep a very keen eye for anyone merging.

I think Jeremy Clarkson said it best (and I'm paraphrasing):

quote:

If there's room for me to undertake, there's room for you to move out of the way and stop blocking the overtaking lane.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, I will give absolutely no fucks about undertaking* until all the goddamn assknobs get out of the passing lane.

Speaking of which, I got brake checked by some dipshit in a black Pacifica who was hogging the left lane on i290 last night. I blinked twice from a respectable distance, they ignored me and continued pacing the middle lane. Blinked 3 times a short while later. Then four. Then they brake checked me (hint to assholes: brake checking is a lot more effective if you're actually being tailgated :downsgun:) and I passed them on the right. They proceeded to follow me going 15mph faster than they had been, with their high beams on.

It should be legal to execute people on the roadside for poo poo like this. loving inconsiderate assholes. I bet it'd only take 4 or 5 idiots getting shot by the police for doing poo poo like this before everyone else would get the gently caress in line.

yes, I'm being a bit hyperbolic here. Shooting people for hogging the left lane would be wrong.

e: * and undertaking is legal in my state so, well, gently caress it. Extra care taken of course, but I'm not going to not do something that's legal when it gets me around someone who is doing something illegal.

kastein fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 29, 2016

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Alighieri posted:

no cop, no stop

Goons like to crucify you if you admit you don't completely stop at every stop sign. These people must not live in most big cities where city DOTs use stop signs for traffic control at almost every non-signalled intersection.

Even city buses don't come close to stopping consistently at stop signs in my city.

Like low speed limits, they provide a steady stream of dark-skinned 'law breakers' to profile or ticket when police coffers run dry for the month.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 29, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I think he was joking. Also, aren't you the guy who posted about taking a corner too fast in a city in some commuter car and sliding into a curb, loving up your suspension? Or was that someone else?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

kastein posted:

I think he was joking. Also, aren't you the guy who posted about taking a corner too fast in a city in some commuter car and sliding into a curb, loving up your suspension? Or was that someone else?

Nope that was me!! I was a new-ish driver and it was super slick rainy conditions. I took a left turn too fast to get out of the way of oncoming traffic faster. I was turning onto a side street from a major thoroughfare, and the side street had a narrow margin of error on that turn. I was on 10-year-old tires and understeered into a curb pretty hard. I think I was going about 25MPH. Not totally unheard of for a turn but definitely too fast for the conditions. $1,000 front suspension rebuild and new wheel.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 29, 2016

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I, for one, will be more willing to move to the right every time someone behind me is unsatisfied by my speed of a mere 5 over the posted limit IF these same people actually step on the god damned gas and pass me, instead of inching forward at 1 mph faster than I was going and trapping me behind a truck.

I know you want to do 70 and my cruising at 69 is holding you back. But can you do 75 for fifteen seconds so I'm not slowed down to 55 because there's an RV in the right lane?

The same people who do this are probably the ones who will roar past you on the right at 95 like a dragster. Just learn to do that in the LEFT lane and poo poo is good!

Javid fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 29, 2016

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
If you're not passing, move the gently caress over. It's not hard.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Javid posted:

I, for one, will be more willing to move to the right every time someone behind me is unsatisfied by my speed of a mere 5 over the posted limit IF these same people actually step on the god damned gas and pass me, instead of inching forward at 1 mph faster than I was going and trapping me behind a truck.

I know you want to do 70 and my cruising at 69 is holding you back. But can you do 75 for fifteen seconds so I'm not slowed down to 55 because there's an RV in the right lane?

The same people who do this are probably the ones who will roar past you on the right at 95 like a dragster. Just learn to do that in the LEFT lane and poo poo is good!

You don't belong in the left lane cruising at 5 over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Mandingo posted:

If you're not passing, move the gently caress over. It's not hard.

The only time this gets lovely is when people will pull right up on your rear end like they want you to move over, so you move over... and then they don't pass you at all. I have this happen a lot because I commute in the HOV lane, and inevitably while I'm doing 5-10 faster than most of the traffic in the non-HOV lanes, there will still be someone who wants to go faster. It's gotten to the point where I'm only going to move over if the guy behind me is closing at a significant rate and/or I can do so without having to stand on the brakes. I have no problem with someone wanting to go faster than me, but I'm not going to slow myself down to do it.

Case in point, Sunday night with light traffic on the freeway with six lanes in each direction. I was one over from the right, and saw a car pass me two lanes to the left. He was immediately (maybe one car length, at 70MPH+) followed by a fullsize truck. There were no cars in any of the other three lanes to my left, so the truck could have changed lanes either side and easily passed the car... but didn't.

Autonomous cars cannot come soon enough.