Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

david... posted:

Curved swords have a really fun move set and good range.

I really like the L1 one-two combo on the curved sword power stance moveset. The Warped Sword you get with the Flexile Sentry's soul has a special power stance L2 that I like as well-- it's a big spin that takes an absurd amount of stamina (it zeroes me out from full with 30 in whichever the stamina stat is) and has kind of a weird hitbox, but if you wedge yourself up next to a guy it does a whole lot of damage.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Honestly my biggest problem with Dark Souls 2s plot is the Emerald Herald. I don't understand why she is written so poorly. It feels like she stepped out of a totally different game. I'm still not sure what her motive is, and even I knew it I doubt it would matter because she's the shittiest guide ever. She doesn't give you any useful advice. She doesn't tell you anything interesting. She tells you to get 4 big souls and become the monarch. After that its just BEAR SEEK LEST til the end. She says the same crap at the end as she does at the start. Its all said in the same emotionless anime robot voice. She doesn't give me any reason to like her. If she wasn't your only source of estus and leveling, I'd kill her at the start of every game for her feather.

I just don't get why she sucks so much. There are plenty of NPCs in this game I like. Its not like they forgot how to write enjoyable characters. Yet the character you are forced to talk to the most is the least interesting by a mile. If she had new things to say or wasn't a robot, then maybe I wouldn't hate having to go to her to level up. She's obviously supposed to make you recall the Black Maiden, but that just highlights how crappy she is. Admittedly its been a long time since I looked at Demon's Souls but I don't remember the Black Maiden being so boring. At the very least she had the courtesy to do her little chant during the level up rather than before.

What I'm saying is the Emerald Herald can gently caress off back to whatever anime they pulled her out of.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
The NPC who made the greatest impression on me was Felicia the loving strong!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNDAQ3y0xdA

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

PublicOpinion posted:

Only Blue Sentinels can use the blue orbs.

That's not correct, you can use blue orbs regardless of your covenant.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Is there any way to transfer gear between characters? I have a couple pieces of the Mad Warrior's set that I'd like to have on a newer character but I really don't want to have to farm that rear end in a top hat again.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Cardboard Fox posted:

For some reason the triggers just feel more natural for normal attacking and blocking.

yeah, I could see that on a 360 controller. I use a dualshock 3 where the triggers are hot garbage so I've never really thought about it.

I don't know if there's any files you can edit but you can probably reverse the functions using a program like x360ce or something? I'm not sure, though.

also, nice name

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

Uh, no. Also the blood ring doesn't have any covenant functionality whatsoever. It's just a gift Titchy gives you that adds bleed damage.

If you even go talk to him while you're in the blue cops covenant, he just blows you off. Like 'oh, there's nothing for your type here', or something like that. I thought that was a nice touch.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Thumbtacks posted:

You sure? The wiki says you have to be a sentinel and I could've sworn they said "only covenanter can use item" in their description.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

BobTheJanitor posted:

If you even go talk to him while you're in the blue cops covenant, he just blows you off. Like 'oh, there's nothing for your type here', or something like that. I thought that was a nice touch.

He says that to anyone not in possession of a token of spite.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

He says that to anyone not in possession of a token of spite.

Oh, that's disappointing. I figured it was the covenant. Oh well, I gave the game too much credit, I guess.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Thumbtacks posted:

Nope, sorry.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Now, you can bitch about Amana back and forth all you want but the constant "NUH-HU THE GAME IS JUST AS GOOD AS DS1, loving SCRUB" in this thread is making for a terrible atmosphere.

A game can have faults. Yes, even this one.

The fact that roughly a third of players noticed the same issues with level design and storytelling should be an indicator in and of itself.

Never said the game didn't have flaws. I ripped on Iron Keep and the level design as much as anybody. In fact some people gave me poo poo for being too critical, imagine that!

I just said the NPCs aren't blatantly worse than DS1, because that's not true. He's overly romanticizing how good they were in 1 and downplaying how they are in 2.

A game can have pros and cons at the same time. Yes, even this one. Neither is perfect. Both have a very implicity story that you have to dig into to find out about, which you can beat the whole game and never discover. I didn't even say the story was amazing; I'm just saying it's as good as DS1's (although I think its pretty cool, but obviously its heavy on atmosphere and light on narrative)

Both have some boss fights which are pretty lame or piss easy.

How easily we forget Pinwheel and Bed of Chaos. But no, Dragonrider is a bitch! This game sux!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Regardless of any other points you make that I may or may not agree with, this is almost 100% bullshit. Lucatiel and Solaire have nothing in common.

Not directly, of course. But their relationship with you. Both Solaire and Lucatiel pop up in several locations throughout your quest, more than any other NPC. Both are available as summons in MANY fights. Both have a long quest required in order to see them to the end, which usually ends in sadness. Both have family issues and are dealing with that. No they aren't the same, Lucatiel's story is about her brother. But they fulfill the same role, no doubt.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 14, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'd say Benhart is closer to Solaire than Lucatiel is. Lucatiel doesn't really have a Dark Souls counterpart.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Internet Kraken posted:

I'd say Benhart is closer to Solaire than Lucatiel is. Lucatiel doesn't really have a Dark Souls counterpart.

Benhart is sitting down outside a gate he can't get past without your help, and he's trying to find his frozen daughter...

Hmmmm. :) You didn't summon Sigmeyer, but they just expanded his role is all. More fun that way.

None of them are exactly the same; but that's not the point. They all fulfill pretty similar roles, with one or two common elements.

I can't wait till vaatividya makes some Dark Souls 2 lore videos and everybody shuts up.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 14, 2014

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Zaphod42 posted:

I can't wait till vaatividya makes some Dark Souls 2 lore videos and everybody shuts up.
His videos are interesting and he has a good voice, but he's not exactly authoritative and sometimes takes things beyond what is fully supported.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I got invaded, bluecop is summoned to assist me, but...instead he just suicides as soon as he joins, leaving me alone to get slaughtered. :geno:

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Yeah, I think Lucatiel and Benhart kind of split the difference between Solaire and Onionhead. Benhart gets stuck a lot, but he's always upbeat and ready to press on. He doesn't let it get to him! Lucatiel's clearly a bad rear end but she's so sad all the time. It drives her to suicide! Off of docks! ...A lot.

The key thing is that they're pretty interesting characters, though. They might not be your favorite, but it's hard to suggest that there's just nothing worthwhile to them at all.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

What's a good minimum dex level to get for using most/all the decent/good weapons? Realized that my knight is severely lacking in dex at level 18, and I'm gonna have to make up for it because I can't use the fire longsword or heide knight sword I picked up.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

His videos are interesting and he has a good voice, but he's not exactly authoritative and sometimes takes things beyond what is fully supported.

yeah a lot of what Vaati says is stuff that he's speculated/pieced together himself. he is not the be all, end all of Souls lore.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I just said the NPCs aren't blatantly worse than DS1, because that's not true. He's overly romanticizing how good they were in 1 and downplaying how they are in 2.

I wouldn't say they are worse than the DS1 crew either, but their tone and purposes are different.

Solaire was a memorable and likeable character because he's among the first people you meet and he comes off as somewhat weird but harmless and even helps you out. The player connects with him because he's on the same quest and he stands out for being cheery instead of glum (or sketchy). There's nobody like that in the game. Benhart doesn't cut it since you barely see him for the first half. Lucatiel is just another tragic, depressed person.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Also he said funny stuff that people don't say anymore like JOLLY COOPERATION and GLORIOUS INCANDESCENCE

There's not a single quotable thing from Lucatiel or Ben.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Hahahhahahahaaaaaaaaaaa

Everyone attack Darkdiver Grandahl WITHOUT KILLING HIM if you haven't already.

His animation wheeling after you when aggro'd is the best thing ever.

Arg! I wasn't recording it and can't find a video anywhere.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I wouldn't say they are worse than the DS1 crew either, but their tone and purposes are different.

Solaire was a memorable and likeable character because he's among the first people you meet and he comes off as somewhat weird but harmless and even helps you out. The player connects with him because he's on the same quest and he stands out for being cheery instead of glum (or sketchy). There's nobody like that in the game. Benhart doesn't cut it since you barely see him for the first half. Lucatiel is just another tragic, depressed person.

Yeah, and Pate is too untrustworthy. But that just makes you more paranoid in Dark Souls 2, and more alone. :ohdear:

Solaire was definitely your buddy in the beginning though. Yeah, their tone is different, definitely agree. Dark Souls 2 has a different tone than DS1 for sure though, I would never suggest otherwise.

turtlecrunch posted:

Also he said funny stuff that people don't say anymore like JOLLY COOPERATION and GLORIOUS INCANDESCENCE

There's not a single quotable thing from Lucatiel or Ben.

And there's no nice Mr. pyromancy to cheer you up.

Neither of us wants to see you go hollow... :smith:

Everybody Knows "Bearer, Seek, Seek, Lest" though :v: hahaha

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Lucatiel is Bizarro Siegmeyer. They are both adventuring knights that are ultimately doomed, and advancing their plot only brings them closer to this. She's got distinctive armor but it's fancy rather than silly. Instead of jolly she's always broody. You meet their relative but rather than be nice, they are only there to kill you. Siegmeyer is fearless but often stumped. Lucatiel is terrified but always presses onward.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Tallgeese posted:

They did not mean saint as "person with high faith", they meant it in terms of "righteous person". Otherwise the description of Dark Hand wouldn't make sense.

Maybe. Dark Souls' world is a pantheistic one wherein Gods are more akin to the Greek Gods in that their domain and dogma may or may not have anything to do with conventional morality so what the hell a Saint even means in the context of this world, I'm not really sure, beyond "person with a high faith". I mean, is a Saint of Nahr Alma righteous? Prrrrobably not.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

I really liked that some of the phantoms and NPCs were based off player archetypes for DS1. Solaire being a co-op dude, Lautrec being that guy who'll help you and gank you immediately after, Butcher Miralda being one of the weirdo invaders and the guy with the Thorns armor who invades you everywhere being the serious 'I'm gonna kill this rear end in a top hat' kind of invader.

But yeah, DS2's two guys just kinda don't make an impression for some reason. Maybe because they don't affect your game in any major way like Solaire and Lautrec do? I'd say they're kinda similar to the Onion Knights if those characters happened to not have the silliest and most charming armor in the bleak world of Dark Souls.

I actually think Vengarl and Creighton are good, memorable characters though! Mostly because Vengarl is super chill and Creighton is basically Lautrec in how blatantly evil he is while also being a cool dude with cool armor.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

How easily we forget Pinwheel and Bed of Chaos. But no, Dragonrider is a bitch! This game sux!

The analogy between Pinwheel and Dragonrider is not quite accurate. If you waited around and really didn't kill it, Pinwheel did a lot of cool stuff where as Dragonrider is a mental retard who thrusts where you were 4 seconds ago. Also; this game has a lot more crappy bosses than good bosses.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Hahahhahahahaaaaaaaaaaa

Everyone attack Darkdiver Grandahl WITHOUT KILLING HIM if you haven't already.

His animation wheeling after you when aggro'd is the best thing ever.

Arg! I wasn't recording it and can't find a video anywhere.

Self promotion ohoy.

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

Doctor Zaius posted:

Is there any way to transfer gear between characters? I have a couple pieces of the Mad Warrior's set that I'd like to have on a newer character but I really don't want to have to farm that rear end in a top hat again.

Not directly, but if you summoned a friend and dropped the gear, I'm sure he could drop it back on your other character. (Given that your soul levels were close enough to allow you to summon each other)

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Can anyone help me beat the Pursuer? I'm using double Rapiers

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Thanks!!!

You're a real hero. And a real human being.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

this is incredibly silly.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Fereydun posted:

I really liked that some of the phantoms and NPCs were based off player archetypes for DS1.

I think Lautrec actually had min/maxed pvp stats and he only fights with 2 white phantom pals.

Someone recommend me some good pvp weapons that work well with faith besides the defender greatsword and grand lance.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

garth ferengi posted:

I happen to have the exact dimensions of Knuckles on hand, as written by my hero ulillillia.

Thats a completely different character who happens to have the exact same name =)

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

They need wheelchair enemies and wheelchair invaders.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fereydun posted:

I really liked that some of the phantoms and NPCs were based off player archetypes for DS1. Solaire being a co-op dude, Lautrec being that guy who'll help you and gank you immediately after, Butcher Miralda being one of the weirdo invaders and the guy with the Thorns armor who invades you everywhere being the serious 'I'm gonna kill this rear end in a top hat' kind of invader.

But yeah, DS2's two guys just kinda don't make an impression for some reason. Maybe because they don't affect your game in any major way like Solaire and Lautrec do? I'd say they're kinda similar to the Onion Knights if those characters happened to not have the silliest and most charming armor in the bleak world of Dark Souls.

I actually think Vengarl and Creighton are good, memorable characters though! Mostly because Vengarl is super chill and Creighton is basically Lautrec in how blatantly evil he is while also being a cool dude with cool armor.

Lucatiel's pretty interesting as well, and one of the rare instances the games dig much into how a person would feel to slowly lose everything that makes them who they are. They tend tojust show up as a red phantom you have to kill. Also Dark Souls 2 has the best Crestfallen Warrior because he actually gets a by of comfort by the end of the game. There's no doofy lines like Solaire had, but it's not like those were intended to be funny. Grossly incandescent, indeed. There's definitely a slight tonal shift.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wish Saudlen was a late game summon if you talked to him a lot. I enjoyed how they subverted what you expect from the crestfallen warrior and had him become more friendly and optimistic as the game went on. It would be a cool conclusion to his little story if he ended up helping you against the final boss.

Not that there's anything wrong with Benhart and Vengarl though. Vengarl is the coolest severed head ever! :v:

EDIT: If you didn't, try talking to Saudlen and Shaluqoir as the game goes on. Both of them get some new lines as you progress that are pretty neat.

:lol: I never would of thought he would move. That's amazing.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 14, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Internet Kraken posted:

Honestly my biggest problem with Dark Souls 2s plot is the Emerald Herald. I don't understand why she is written so poorly. It feels like she stepped out of a totally different game. I'm still not sure what her motive is, and even I knew it I doubt it would matter because she's the shittiest guide ever. She doesn't give you any useful advice. She doesn't tell you anything interesting. She tells you to get 4 big souls and become the monarch. After that its just BEAR SEEK LEST til the end. She says the same crap at the end as she does at the start. Its all said in the same emotionless anime robot voice. She doesn't give me any reason to like her. If she wasn't your only source of estus and leveling, I'd kill her at the start of every game for her feather.

I just don't get why she sucks so much. There are plenty of NPCs in this game I like. Its not like they forgot how to write enjoyable characters. Yet the character you are forced to talk to the most is the least interesting by a mile. If she had new things to say or wasn't a robot, then maybe I wouldn't hate having to go to her to level up. She's obviously supposed to make you recall the Black Maiden, but that just highlights how crappy she is. Admittedly its been a long time since I looked at Demon's Souls but I don't remember the Black Maiden being so boring. At the very least she had the courtesy to do her little chant during the level up rather than before.

What I'm saying is the Emerald Herald can gently caress off back to whatever anime they pulled her out of.

I forgot to agree with this earlier so I'm agreeing with it now. Aside from the stuff with Nashandra, the Emerald Herald is the single biggest problem with DS2 story-wise. She is a terrible character who benefits the narrative not a bit.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Got summoned as a Sunbro into a world with an invader. I blow him off a cliff with Emit Force and the host dutifully follows, stabbing all the way :ughh:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

And there's no nice Mr. pyromancy to cheer you up.

No, Jester Thomas is there.