Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Fintilgin posted:

My problem with estates is that they feel like completely flavorless number juggling. I don't feel like I'm interacting with my countries nobility or clergy in any way. They could be called blue team and red team.

They should make it so it their loyalty drops below 30, it opens up an early 90's era full motion video of a low quality 3d noble, clergyman, or merchant saying "how dare you!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Is there any way to give a bunch of provinces to a vassal/client? Other than clicking the subject interactions button and then a province and hitting Enter many times, I mean.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Kersch posted:

They should make it so it their loyalty drops below 30, it opens up an early 90's era full motion video of a low quality 3d noble, clergyman, or merchant saying "how dare you!"

you can't demand administrative support! you'll regret this!

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Fintilgin posted:

My problem with estates is that they feel like completely flavorless number juggling. I don't feel like I'm interacting with my countries nobility or clergy in any way. They could be called blue team and red team.

Every time I see that little icon

"Ugh what the gently caress do you want now Clergy?"

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Basically estates, autonomy, corruption and seats of parliament all need to be tied into some kind of pop/CK lite internal interaction. As is they're kinda dangling features.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

TaurusTorus posted:

Basically estates, autonomy, corruption and seats of parliament all need to be tied into some kind of pop/CK lite internal interaction. As is they're kinda dangling features.

Heck yeah EU pops

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah I think simplified pops like CK1 or EU Rome would be cool. Heck you could probably replace development with Clergy/Burgher/Noble power.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

TaurusTorus posted:

Yeah, this.

I find the excuse Paradox has given before that they aren't a focus of the game and they're supposed to be something unique to Vicky and each franchise is supposed to have it's own 'flavor' to be a bit inane.

The Vicky argument is dumb, because it's like saying HoI's 'thing' is armies and therefore no other Paradox game will have armies.

Having a game of such complexity covering this period and not simulating populations in any way is working increasingly poorly. You can jerry rig as many awkward new subsystems as you want but it's never going to work as well as some sort of pop system (stellaris style?). In fact, I think the more of them you jam in there, the more keeping track of them becomes less intuitive, more complex, and harder to grasp then a basic pop system would be.

Obviously this is way beyond the scope of a DLC, but I hope they think hard about their previous position on the subject when it comes time to make EUV.

EDIT: Of course, I also want a basic character system, where monarchs have a couple traits (natural scientist, cavalry enthusiast, inbred, vacillating, etc). Areas could be governed by Dukes/Governors who could be pleased, displeased, vote, lead armies, etc etc. No huge character sim like CKII, but something more then what we have.

I also think most of the Paradox games should probably have SOME sort of pop/character system. They're fundamental to EVERY era. It's silly that HoI has tons of character traits, portraits, and government positions, and EU has.... "King Larry: 2-4-1."

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 5, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

PleasingFungus posted:

I think Estates were a bit more interesting when they were first added. The change to make Loyalty decay toward 50 means that, in my experience, it's very rarely worthwhile to try to keep Loyalty above 60. That considerably simplifies the interactions I have with them.

If you are trying to feed them enough land and favors to keep them above 60, I can see why you'd find them more complex; I can also see why you're apparently getting hit by the estate takeover disasters!

Yeah, I liked it way better then to. You were trading short term crap for long term gains. Where now you're just balancing the three off against each other, which is pretty damned easy, and boring. Same reason I hated playing Merchant Republics.

Gotta love the Cossack faction though. Event Opt A: gently caress off Neighbour. +Cossack Loyalty, +Cossack Influence, -Relations with people who hated you anyway. Event Opt B: Why does this one even exist?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
execute the bailiff

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, this.

I find the excuse Paradox has given before that they aren't a focus of the game and they're supposed to be something unique to Vicky and each franchise is supposed to have it's own 'flavor' to be a bit inane.

The Vicky argument is dumb, because it's like saying HoI's 'thing' is armies and therefore no other Paradox game will have armies.

Having a game of such complexity covering this period and not simulating populations in any way is working increasingly poorly. You can jerry rig as many awkward new subsystems as you want but it's never going to work as well as some sort of pop system (stellaris style?). In fact, I think the more of them you jam in there, the more keeping track of them becomes less intuitive, more complex, and harder to grasp then a basic pop system would be.

Obviously this is way beyond the scope of a DLC, but I hope they think hard about their previous position on the subject when it comes time to make EUV.

EDIT: Of course, I also want a basic character system, where monarchs have a couple traits (natural scientist, cavalry enthusiast, inbred, vacillating, etc). Areas could be governed by Dukes/Governors who could be pleased, displeased, vote, lead armies, etc etc. No huge character sim like CKII, but something more then what we have.

I also think most of the Paradox games should probably have SOME sort of pop/character system. They're fundamental to EVERY era. It's silly that HoI has tons of character traits, portraits, and government positions, and EU has.... "King Larry: 2-4-1."

EU4 is a game first, and a simulator second.

A game that tries to simulate absolutely every aspect of a period will have no focus and end up being an unplayable muddle. EU4 certainly isn't a tightly focused game, but it does have some: it's a game about warfare and colonialism, and in general about the creation of globe-straddling empires. The systems that work well - trade, technology, diplomacy - support and encourage that focus. Contrast with something like development: development would be a great fit for Vicky III, but in a game about expansion and conquest, it ends up feeling out-of-place and pointless.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

A game that tries to simulate absolutely every aspect of a period will have no focus and end up being an unplayable muddle. EU4 certainly isn't a tightly focused game, but it does have some: it's a game about warfare and colonialism, and in general about the creation of globe-straddling empires. The systems that work well - trade, technology, diplomacy - support and encourage that focus. Contrast with something like development: development would be a great fit for Vicky III, but in a game about expansion and conquest, it ends up feeling out-of-place and pointless.

It's a game that manages to become simultaneously more confusing and more boring the more DLCs I add. A pop system replacing the multitude of overlapping mechanics would be great.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Or just make Vicky 3 (please)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

execute the bailiff

I actually took the stab hit once because I was sitting at +3 stability and I had hella AE so I needed all the prestige I could get.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
EU5 should have CK2 leaders/generals and victoria pops. Just gently caress my CPU up.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

PleasingFungus posted:

I think we're hitting the point where a basic pop and character system WOULD be simpler, more focused, and more 'powerful' in potential then stability, estates, factions, autonomy, corruption, the current revolt risk ticker, monoculture & monoreligion, manpower 'rating', etc etc, all of which sort tie together via 19 different subscreens and a bunch of ad hoc multiple choice events and stuff. :shobon:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Good Bohemia game. Is the revolution supposed to peter out at some point, or do you normally get jumped by a coalition? I just kept conquering neighbors and creating clients, ending up with 5 marches and France in a PU.

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008
gently caress Austria

14 or so forts in their lovely little country. Screw you AI.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
The AI doesn't pay for border forts, right?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

They sure don't.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Although they're supposedly programmed to think that they have to pay for them.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Fister Roboto posted:

Although they're supposedly programmed to think that they have to pay for them.

I guess you don't want them building forts on every single border province, that would be even more obnoxious.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Maybe that's just the logical thing to do when faced with an aggressive and devious human player, carpet your nation's floor with forts.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Maybe that's just the logical thing to do when faced with an aggressive and devious human player, carpet your nation's floor with forts.

I should do that, play in Northern Italy, go tall and grab a max of 10 provinces all with giant forts. Dare people to break me!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I posted about this a while ago but finally finished it, just in time for Stellaris to take everyone's interest away from EU4: East Asian Advisor Portraits

hand painted by yours truly. it took about 30 hours, I've gained a lot of respect for Paradox's artists over the course of working on this lol, even though I'm sure they work faster than me.

ironman compatible, doesn't overwrite the base portraits etc etc please subscribe so I feel validated and not like I wasted an enormous amount of time

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

deathbagel posted:

I should do that, play in Northern Italy, go tall and grab a max of 10 provinces all with giant forts. Dare people to break me!

Italy is the perfect defensive nation because you can make marches of pure mountains surrounding all of Italy.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Koramei posted:

I posted about this a while ago but finally finished it, just in time for Stellaris to take everyone's interest away from EU4: East Asian Advisor Portraits

hand painted by yours truly. it took about 30 hours, I've gained a lot of respect for Paradox's artists over the course of working on this lol, even though I'm sure they work faster than me.

ironman compatible, doesn't overwrite the base portraits etc etc please subscribe so I feel validated and not like I wasted an enormous amount of time

I'm the ninja.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Koramei posted:

Looks real cool

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Average Bear posted:

I'm the ninja.

+5,000% Spy Offense
Rival Nation's Generals and Admirals are randomly assassinated

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Koramei posted:

Now do lady versions.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
First time I've ever seen this

They've been westernized for a pretty long time I think, and they're one of the most technologically advanced nations in the world. Pretty impressive, especially since they were up against a properly unified Spain, instead of the wimpy Castile that's been happening a lot lately. The only weird part is that the decision still gave them Andalusian primary culture, even though that's been extinct on the map for a long time, but I guess that works to their advantage since Castilian is in their culture group.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I kinda wish the protectorate system had some qualifications to it (culture based maybe?). It feels like I'm punished for Westernizing when I can no longer create vassals and annex them. I'm pretty admin point starved right now and can't even use all these permanent claims I have on everything as a result.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Koramei posted:

drat, nice work.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Don't have a Nobility estate so this localisation is all messed up. Should I report this as a bug

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008
Hurray! Finished my first complete game. Castile going for The Five Colonis and picked up the following:

A Pile of Gold, A Protected Market, At every continent, Blockader, City of Cities, Colonial Management, Down Under, Imperio espanol, Just a Little Patience, Magellan's Voyage, My True Friend, My armies are invincible!, No Pirates in my Caribbean, Subsidize my Love, The Continuation of Diplomacy, The Five Colonies, The Grand Armada, The Rising Sun, Total Control, and World Discoverer

Will probably try France next and see about forming the Roman Empire.

edit - Attempt 1 failed, took Provence and pretty much all of Europe allied against me and then declared. So I won't try that again. Also only having starting missions of reconquest against England really sucks.

Redchaostry fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 7, 2016

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Redchaostry posted:

Hurray! Finished my first complete game. Castile going for The Five Colonis and picked up the following:

A Pile of Gold, A Protected Market, At every continent, Blockader, City of Cities, Colonial Management, Down Under, Imperio espanol, Just a Little Patience, Magellan's Voyage, My True Friend, My armies are invincible!, No Pirates in my Caribbean, Subsidize my Love, The Continuation of Diplomacy, The Five Colonies, The Grand Armada, The Rising Sun, Total Control, and World Discoverer

Will probably try France next and see about forming the Roman Empire.

edit - Attempt 1 failed, took Provence and pretty much all of Europe allied against me and then declared. So I won't try that again. Also only having starting missions of reconquest against England really sucks.

I allied Castille, Austria, and Burgundy to early stomp England. The pro is that England spiraled and no longer exist by 1580. The con is Castille was in a good position when it was rival time and they still have lowlands and Italian land I want. No Cossacks so offensive wars were easy to get.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

MEIOU & Taxes certainly proves you can add extra buildings..

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Do the peace deals AIs propose when you use the "Purging of Heresy" CB bug anyone else? They keep offering me like 300 ducats when the main purpose of the CB is to take a ton of land for no diplomatic points. Not a big deal for a player, but then you see other AIs using the CB accepting that kind of deal and its so stupid

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

MEIOU & Taxes certainly proves you can add extra buildings..

Please post a picture of the ideas screen, I want to see it again. MEIOU is so good. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

YF-23 posted:

Please post a picture of the ideas screen, I want to see it again. MEIOU is so good. :allears:

Oh my. There are a few extra ideas, nbd:

but then there is a tobleronetriangular interface for adding them

• Locked thread