Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
The Nova is called the Interstellar and the Orion IIC is called the Horizon. Woooowwwww.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Artificer posted:

The Nova is called the Interstellar and the Orion IIC is called the Horizon. Woooowwwww.

I personally wanted to pick up the Caligula or Frankenstein gun.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
How big are they? They need some scale, they look super small.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

veedubfreak posted:

How big are they? They need some scale, they look super small.

quote:

High quality mech model, 1/285 scale (about 5-7 cm height). Transparent hex base included.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Yeah, that is kinda too small for $10 imo, but I have never bought minis so that could be super reasonable.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Super reasonable imo. I can't imagine PGI would be too happy about it, what with them being effectively stolen art assets being sold without license. Whether that's a bad thing or not is up to you.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

axelsoar posted:

Yeah, that is kinda too small for $10 imo, but I have never bought minis so that could be super reasonable.

It's extremely reasonable as long as you're buying heavies and assaults, and even the lights are pretty competitive. For comparison, the official Metal Atlas is $14.25 and the Locust runs $9.50-10.25. The Iron Wind Metals Atlas is about 5-ish cm tall, while most other `Mechs are right around 4cm.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's extremely reasonable as long as you're buying heavies and assaults, and even the lights are pretty competitive. For comparison, the official Metal Atlas is $14.25 and the Locust runs $9.50-10.25. The Iron Wind Metals Atlas is about 5-ish cm tall, while most other `Mechs are right around 4cm.

Fair enough, I would love to pick up some of my favorites (K2, Raven, Centurion) I have been delving more into lore and I love how with the Marauder, I looked at the thing and I thought the AC5 just looked kinda bolted into the top, and that is totally the actual lore, and it has a reputation of breaking.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

PGI has got to know about the site, I saw it posted on the Sea when I still went there, and I have been linked it to the reddit as well. I have to assume that either it's not worth the legal trouble for them to get the lawyers out, or they're happy to let it happen because the merchandising drives sales, and they were never going to see any money from minis anyway.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I can't wait to hear what the witty knock-off title for the Night Jerk is gonna be.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Someone tell BMR to get on and give us girls that play contract control. GIRL just dropped, we were gonna try to snake out the 4 Clan warhorns but we don't have as much rank as we thought.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

aniviron posted:

PGI has got to know about the site, I saw it posted on the Sea when I still went there, and I have been linked it to the reddit as well. I have to assume that either it's not worth the legal trouble for them to get the lawyers out, or they're happy to let it happen because the merchandising drives sales, and they were never going to see any money from minis anyway.

It's... complicated.
PGI licenses the Battletech video game rights from Microsoft, who bought out FASA Interactive, while exclusive tabletop mini rights for Battletech were handed to some poo poo miniature manufacturer. Catalyst, who now publishes the tabletop stuff, licenses the IP from Topps. That legal minefield is why official brand MWO miniatures are impossible(at least at a reasonable price, though when $500 digital gold mechs can sell...), and the big companies with lawyers aren't going to shell out just to stop some garage bootlegger over something so marginal.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

The GRF-1S(C) I got from the Griffin pack is so far the only real dud of the mechs I've bought, but I suppose with the Ghost Heat 2.0 changes and the whole 30 damage or below alpha thing it might be okay? Ugh.

It's a Champion mech so it has the neat little C-Bill bonus and it requires MC to get so I'm loathe to sell it to free up its mechbay though.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
Isn't that the robot that gives you an xp bonus, not a cbill bonus?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Artificer posted:

It's a Champion mech so it has the neat little C-Bill bonus and it requires MC to get so I'm loathe to sell it to free up its mechbay though.

Champion mechs don't give cbills, only heroes.(and loyalty, and preorder, etc).

Pitch it.

Edit: After basic/elite/master etc as required.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

TheParadigm posted:

I can't wait to hear what the witty knock-off title for the Night Jerk is gonna be.
"Dusk raptor".

It's a Gryfalcon reference after all.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

TheParadigm posted:

Champion mechs don't give cbills, only heroes.(and loyalty, and preorder, etc).

Pitch it.

Edit: After basic/elite/master etc as required.

Oh, only an xp boost? Hahahahahah, okay thanks for pointing that out to me. As soon as I am done with it I'm ditching it.

I've got Basics on it already, though. And I've Mastered 3 Novas. So if I wanted to Master my Sparky and 2N I can still feel free to dump it, right?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

if it's (C) Champion, it gets a worthless XP bonus. Sometimes there are special weekend events that require champion mechs but they're rare enough that you can probably dump it without real consequence.

If it's (S) Special, keep that poo poo, it's a 30% CB bonus.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

aniviron posted:

if it's (C) Champion, it gets a worthless XP bonus. Sometimes there are special weekend events that require champion mechs but they're rare enough that you can probably dump it without real consequence.

If it's (S) Special, keep that poo poo, it's a 30% CB bonus.

In any case the Champion Locust and Champion Stalker I have now will still qualify for those special events I suppose, so it isn't a huge deal. There's only really one thing that's stopping me from selling it then.

Would the Griffin-1S(C) be worth anything with the new Ghost Heat thing that penalizes 30 damage + alphas? I suppose it's still being worked on so there's no guarantees.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah, I would wait for the balance eggs to hatch before you raise them into loving chickens or ducks or xenomorphs or whatever is in these metaphorical eggs.

Also, keep in mind that any mech can have a low alpha, and that quirks are subject to change. Just because a mech can have a high alpha, that doesn't mean it has to. So mechs that suck now because they can't put out much firepower are probably still going to suck later, and the good mechs will just take fewer guns.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

aniviron posted:

Yeah, I would wait for the balance eggs to hatch before you raise them into loving chickens or ducks or xenomorphs or whatever is in these metaphorical eggs.

Also, keep in mind that any mech can have a low alpha, and that quirks are subject to change. Just because a mech can have a high alpha, that doesn't mean it has to. So mechs that suck now because they can't put out much firepower are probably still going to suck later, and the good mechs will just take fewer guns.

Mostly the 1S's problem though is that it doesn't have quite enough hardpoints to focus on either lasers or missiles, but as far as firepower goes I guess numbers-wise it is ok.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Artificer posted:

Mostly the 1S's problem though is that it doesn't have quite enough hardpoints to focus on either lasers or missiles, but as far as firepower goes I guess numbers-wise it is ok.

4x MPLs + 2x ASRM6 is a totally fine loadout for a 55 tonner. And it even has the +10% missile cooldown / +10% laser range quirks making them sync up wonderfully on both aspects.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
There's really no reason to sell any mech unless you need the space.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

axelsoar posted:

Fair enough, I would love to pick up some of my favorites (K2, Raven, Centurion) I have been delving more into lore and I love how with the Marauder, I looked at the thing and I thought the AC5 just looked kinda bolted into the top, and that is totally the actual lore, and it has a reputation of breaking.

Trip report on warhansa mechs:

You're gonna get a mixed bag from these 3d prints.
My rendition of the "not-marauder at all" which isn't even the MWO sculpt was mostly okay-ish, but the top gun (AC5) has a tendency to be thin and warped. You're gonna need a bits box of something suitably good to stick on in place, probably.

The mechs in general tend to fluctuate in terms of the quality of the print, sometimes the detail is great and you get very little "flash" (this is the term for extra material/plastic gunk attached to bits of the model from where it was cast/printed - in 3d printing the flash is usually the bits of "scaffolding" that will surround a 3d print until completed and cleaned). Other times you'll get a model with lots of flash and reduced (or even non-existent) detailing. My luck so far has leaned towards mostly good, with only a bit of extra flash here and there.

Warhansa, overall, isn't too bad - kind of your budget source of MWO sculpts. There are other sources, but you usually need to track them down, and they tend to cost a little more due to being higher quality, with better detailing, less flash, and good material to work with if you need to do conversion work, or fix a few things.

lordsofthebattlefield.com forums are usually a good place to look for things like this, and ebay might turn up a few here or there ('insane kangaroo' is a known white metal ebay seller of various sculpts from either Mechwarrior 4, or more recently MWO, for example). After that you're basically stuck with whatever google throws your way.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

veedubfreak posted:

There's really no reason to sell any mech unless you need the space.

This in general however I never regretted selling my Zeus collection. Sometimes a mech is just a piece of poo poo.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

DancingShade posted:

This in general however I never regretted selling my Zeus collection. Sometimes a mech is just a piece of poo poo.

Upon reflection, I'm gonna keep my reward Zeus because 1) after stripping the XL engine it came with, it's worth less than 2M as a sale, and 2) in the age of quirks, a lovely mech has a chance every month of becoming good overnight.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

NihilCredo posted:

Upon reflection, I'm gonna keep my reward Zeus because 1) after stripping the XL engine it came with, it's worth less than 2M as a sale, and 2) in the age of quirks, a lovely mech has a chance every month of becoming good overnight.

That's the electronic equivalent of keeping stacks of 6 year old magazines piled high in your main hallway just in case you want to read an article again.

But you never do.

Many years later your corpse is found mostly devoured by the sixteen cats you keep amidst your hoarder stockpile of mint in box VCRs and fifteen thousand packs of toilet rolls.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

DancingShade posted:

That's the electronic equivalent of keeping stacks of 6 year old magazines piled high in your main hallway just in case you want to read an article again.

But you never do.

Many years later your corpse is found mostly devoured by the sixteen cats you keep amidst your hoarder stockpile of mint in box VCRs and fifteen thousand packs of toilet rolls.

Eh, back before quirks even existed I decided not to sell the Centurion-D under the same reasoning, and now while it's definitely not *good* it's a super fun and unique mech that spams LBX at twice the regular fire rate and I'm very glad I kept it instead of selling it for a pitiful sum.

On a different subject, I'm grinding warhorns with the trial Clan mechs, and while most of them are alright to good the Shadow Cat feels like a total piece of poo poo - hot despite the low firepower, and fragile even for a 45 tonner. Is that a correct assessment or am I playing it wrong?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

NihilCredo posted:

Eh, back before quirks even existed I decided not to sell the Centurion-D under the same reasoning, and now while it's definitely not *good* it's a super fun and unique mech that spams LBX at twice the regular fire rate and I'm very glad I kept it instead of selling it for a pitiful sum.

On a different subject, I'm grinding warhorns with the trial Clan mechs, and while most of them are alright to good the Shadow Cat feels like a total piece of poo poo - hot despite the low firepower, and fragile even for a 45 tonner. Is that a correct assessment or am I playing it wrong?

It's bad. It's one of the few Clan Mechs in my Hangar that's not mastered. Even the Summoner can be more fun to drive. If you want a jumpy Clan Medium buy the HBK-IIC or the Viper. If you want a fast medium, buy the Ice Ferret. Or if you need ECM = Kit Fox or Arctic Cheater.
Some builds can be okay. But the Trial Version is just meh.

EDIT
Except if you want to play a bigger LL Raven, than it might actually be okay. For doing that sniping stuff.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Think of the shadow cat as a slightly oversized and slower arctic cheetah. If you attempt to brawl in it against anything with more tonnage you're going to have a bad time.

It's best feature is being able to easily leap the walls on HPG.

It has precisely one build that is ok. 2 large pulse lasers, ECM and 3 machineguns. That's it.
You don't have the hardpoints to do anything else.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 19, 2016

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
You can also run ER PPC or 3x ER LL if you like too hot builds. Or run 3x Streak-6 with 2x ER Small / SPLs or MPLs as fast light hunter. But other Mechs can do the same. Having JJs and ECM can be an asset. It's just not a very good Mech.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it's gimmicky and niche. Can be fun to use but it's objectively bad.
Anything that kind of works on it can work better on other mechs of a similar or lighter tonnage.

ECM is over rated since anyone worth a drat can see you with their eyeballs anyway. It's just LRM insurance really.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Just a reminder to anyone still needing scouting points that this medium

SHD-2D2

is the most brutal medium brawler in the game. The alpha/DPS it has scares assaults, and if you put it in a cage with clan mediums, look out. You're putting out 133 points of damage in less than 10 seconds, and whatever is still alive after you do that is not having a good time.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

veedubfreak posted:

Someone tell BMR to get on and give us girls that play contract control. GIRL just dropped, we were gonna try to snake out the 4 Clan warhorns but we don't have as much rank as we thought.

GIRL leadership is experiences some technical difficulties at the current time. We appreciate your patience as we work through these minor inconveniences.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

NihilCredo posted:

Trial clams in invasion? My god that must be painful. Since GRIL went back IS, I dropped out and made a solo clam unit to knock out the free warhorns. I put 5mil in the coffers for an invite back when I'm done.

Anita Dickinme posted:

GIRL leadership is experiences some technical difficulties at the current time. We appreciate your patience as we work through these minor inconveniences.

We noticed :p

e: Clam pubbies are far more retarded than IS pubbies.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 19, 2016

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

Trial clams in invasion? My god that must be painful

The most horribly frustrating thing all night has been how :argh: EVERY GODDAMN TIME :argh: I lined up an enemy assault for a perfect Arctic Cheetah butt drill -> solo kill, those PSYCHIC CHEATIN' ASSHOLES would magically know I was there and turn around to blast me...

... and then I realised, oh drat, I have ECM and they're getting the <low signal> alert :doh:

(I don't own a single ECM mech, for context)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Finally got my last win in Invasion. I swear I lost at least 15 games trying. Now I get to slam my dick in the door that is scouting for 10 stupid lights.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

Finally got my last win in Invasion. I swear I lost at least 15 games trying. Now I get to slam my dick in the door that is scouting for 10 stupid lights.

Are you kidding? Scouting is infinitely more fun than Invasion.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Goddamn IS players STOP BRINGING 3x WARHAMMERS TO INVASION, I need that drat Assault warhorn! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Artificer posted:

Are you kidding? Scouting is infinitely more fun than Invasion.

Yes, but there are 0 IS lights.

• Locked thread