Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

TFRazorsaw posted:

edit: also, I had no idea Josh Brolin was this jacked

He's been beefing up for his role as Cable.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUA26B6hvFY/?hl=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

TFRazorsaw posted:

They've talked about how Thanos is sort of the main character of Infinity War and that they know they have to put a lot of work into justifying why the story focuses on him. Whether they'll make good on that promise is yet to be seen.

Well that's good, hopefully they come through.

TFRazorsaw posted:

edit: also, I had no idea Josh Brolin was this jacked

He's been hitting the gym hard for Cable

curse you, JordanKai!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

He could break me in half and I'd thank him for the opportunity.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Ooof, so Spidey had a 70% drop? Somewhat surprising for a film that been so enthusiastically received.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

source? I know it came in second place after War for the Planet of the Apes, but I can't find anything on a 70 % drop.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

TFRazorsaw posted:

source? I know it came in second place after War for the Planet of the Apes, but I can't find anything on a 70 % drop.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=spiderman2017.htm

73.2% drop to be exact.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

well that's a shame. But it was up against another highly anticipated movie.

EDIT: Civil War dropped 74 percent in its first week and today it's considered an absolute success.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 16, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TFRazorsaw posted:

EDIT: Civil War dropped 74 percent in its first week and today it's considered an absolute success.

Civil War had a bigger opening day that Homecoming (+20 million or so). Don't think the 70% drop is that big a deal though. Like you said, the new Apes movie opened this weekend and that for sure would bully Homecoming's box office a fair bit.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

well, yeah. Civil War had like a dozen superheroes in it. Of course it'd be higher. Spider-man is a franchise starter coming off of a duology that completely poisoned the well.

I'm sure someone will go "something something Wonder Woman", but even with this drop Spider-man had a better first week. And that's not getting into company wars, it's just a matter of perspective.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Brand loyalty is dumb anyways. Enjoy everything.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

teagone posted:

Brand loyalty is dumb anyways. Enjoy everything.

I have eschewed tribalistic attachments in all other aspects of my life, leave me this, this thing that does not matter :negative:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

well, yeah. Civil War had like a dozen superheroes in it. Of course it'd be higher. Spider-man is a franchise starter coming off of a duology that completely poisoned the well.

I'm sure someone will go "something something Wonder Woman", but even with this drop Spider-man had a better first week. And that's not getting into company wars, it's just a matter of perspective.

Nah, WW's retention was absurdly good for a blockbuster. It had one of the smallest second week drops ever, like only 40% or something.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I feel like all these movies open at #1 and then have big drop offs because they always open in summertime when there's a Hot Franchise Sequel dropping every single weekend. If it's not Planet of the Apes its a Fast & Furious movie or Transformers or Pirates or etc. etc. etc.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Gaz-L posted:

Nah, WW's retention was absurdly good for a blockbuster. It had one of the smallest second week drops ever, like only 40% or something.

I never said anything about Wonder Woman's staying power. I'm just saying that this isn't actually a bad opening weekend. The percentage is big but the actual number is pretty solid. WW is a successful movie, I only listed the opening numbers as a point of comparison.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

CzarChasm posted:

I thought people around that time were thinking that 89 was going to be stupid camp like 66. Or am I thinking of comic shop nerds of the time?

No, the excitement was that it was it specifically was NOT going to be campy and silly. And, yeah, the hype for that film was through the god damned roof. That loving bat logo was everywhere; burned into our retinas. Only thing I could maybe compare it to since was Phantom Menace or LOTR.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
When's GoTG2 coming out on bluray/streaming services? Because I missed it on the theaters and I wanna see it already

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

August 22nd.

The 8th for digital.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

TFRazorsaw posted:

August 22nd.

The 8th for digital.

So far away goddamn, the movie's been out for ages

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

I never said anything about Wonder Woman's staying power. I'm just saying that this isn't actually a bad opening weekend. The percentage is big but the actual number is pretty solid. WW is a successful movie, I only listed the opening numbers as a point of comparison.

I was agreeing with you. My point was that you can't use Wonder Woman's staying power as a point of comparison to prove that Homecoming's drop-off is dire, because WW's drop-off being so small was unusual.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Was Planet of the Apes really that anticipated? Is that really the reason we're giving for Homecoming's dropoff?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
70% is on the high-end of normal for these big budget movies. Most of them have about a 60-70% dropoff on week two.

The only big outliers are BvS, which had a much higher (82%) drop than usual and Wonder Woman/Deadpool which had much lower dropoffs than usual.

Deadpool was in February, so it is a bit of an outlier, but it probably would have had similar legs.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

BiggerBoat posted:

No, the excitement was that it was it specifically was NOT going to be campy and silly. And, yeah, the hype for that film was through the god damned roof. That loving bat logo was everywhere; burned into our retinas. Only thing I could maybe compare it to since was Phantom Menace or LOTR.

I'll never forgive my mom for not letting me get the bat symbol shaved into my hair.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

70% is on the high-end of normal for these big budget movies. Most of them have about a 60-70% dropoff on week two.

The only big outliers are BvS, which had a much higher (82%) drop than usual and Wonder Woman/Deadpool which had much lower dropoffs than usual.

Deadpool was in February, so it is a bit of an outlier, but it probably would have had similar legs.

That's only the Friday drop, not the weekend drop. Also, Thursday previews now start at 7pm, so there's a little more kicked into the initial Friday gross than there used to be. It'll probably end up around 45 million on the weekend, which is about a 60% drop. Not great, but not terrible with a decent sized opener that caters to a similar audience. Wonder Woman and Deadpool both benefited a lot from weak competition in their second weekend (actually, more like their first month of release). The Mummy and Transformers both bombed domestically and Deadpool had Gods of Egypt as its only competition in February.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't know how to save images of Instagram, but here's, well everyone

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWllNAegntR/

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Rhyno posted:

Was Planet of the Apes really that anticipated? Is that really the reason we're giving for Homecoming's dropoff?

it's a sequel to a series that's pretty acclaimed. that's enough to take top spot for a bit.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

[quote="“Rhyno”" post="“474414442”"]
Was Planet of the Apes really that anticipated? Is that really the reason we’re giving for Homecoming’s dropoff?
[/quote]

The first two movies have been incredible and the hype is super high for this one yeah.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I am pleasantly surprised Apes was such a hit and well liked. I really liked the first two but had no idea they were this big.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Calaveron posted:

When's GoTG2 coming out on bluray/streaming services? Because I missed it on the theaters and I wanna see it already

I just saw it in the theaters this last week so maybe you're lucky and its playing nearby?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

twistedmentat posted:

I don't know how to save images of Instagram, but here's, well everyone

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWllNAegntR/

Batista sure loves that little hat.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rhyno posted:

It's the best trilogy of films ever made.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

CzarChasm posted:

I thought people around that time were thinking that 89 was going to be stupid camp like 66. Or am I thinking of comic shop nerds of the time?

To add to what other people have said, initially when they announced the movie and Keaton's casting there was a fair bit of bitching and complaining about it from comic book types, thinking they had cast the guy from Mr. Mom to make another campy silly Batman.

http://imgur.com/6uEg9JD

So they rushed out the first trailer for it and as soon as anybody (nerd or normal person alike) saw what the movie actually looked like they went nuts for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyozzozRsCk

Perry Normal fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 16, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm the kid who thought that Nicholson's Joker was overrated even before Dark Knight.

Of course I'm also crazy in thinking his Jack Torrance wasn't quite right either. Though not crazy enough to say Stephen Weber was better.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Medullah posted:

I'm the kid who thought that Nicholson's Joker was overrated even before Dark Knight.

Of course I'm also crazy in thinking his Jack Torrance wasn't quite right either. Though not crazy enough to say Stephen Weber was better.

Are you Tim Daly

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Medullah posted:

I still have bruises from the first month I discovered the Nintendo hint line and my dad opening the phone bill.

You kids with your unlimited minutes that you don't even use and your internet telling you exactly what Deborah's Cliff means.

I think I called it twice and I still cringe at what those must've cost.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Reaction and detail re Infinity War trailer shown at D23:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/avengers-infinity-war-blockbuster-first-footage-brings-d23-feet-1021084?utm_source=twitter

Thanos battle :staredog:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here, is Sacha Baron Cohen still doing Mandrake the Magician? Was reported last year but flew under the radar a bit. Is that still happening?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

The Reddit thread goes over the highlights which include the words "crack a planet" which are exactly the words I want associated with this story.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CelticPredator posted:

It's the best trilogy of films ever made.

That's great. It's seriously the reason we're going with as to why Homecoming is crashing so hard?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I went today and the theater was full. I really can't explain why Homecoming fell that hard. It's a good movie and has good word of mouth. The only thing I can think of is that there is Spider-Man fatigue and whoever wanted to see it mostly saw it opening weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Spider-Man's final drop was 61%, perfectly normal.

• Locked thread