Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Viscous Soda posted:

Umm... it says the video has been removed.

Please don't jape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

orcinus posted:

Forgot the details, but the actual issue caused by the low-g is called mast bumping. The blades flapping motion gets so pronounced the rotor head hits the mast. If it causes enough damage, rotor goes bye bye and the helicopter drops from the sky like a rock (essentially equivalent to a fixed wing aircraft losing its wings).

Helicopters back then used a semirigid rotor design, with two blades meeting at a hinge that translates flapping of one blade into the opposite (mirror-ish) flapping of the other, like a see-saw, essentially. When one blade lowers, the other one goes up. Now, the key part of this design is that the rotor plane is below the actual mast "top". If you imagine the rotor disc, the mast goes *through* it. If you now imagine the rotor disc tilting, it can only go so far before the central, inner hub portion of the disc hits the mast.

This was the source of the weakness to low-g. Rigid rotors and fully articulated rotors don't have that issue, and are more common today.

I'm pretty bad at explaining things without a piece of paper and a pen, but if you google "mast bumping", you should find plenty of illustrations.
While you're at it, google "jesus bolt" or "jesus nut".

One of my hobbies is flying RC helicopters, and when I was learning about how heli's work, I came across the description for the device called a 'swash plate'. It's used to translate the (relatively) stationary control inputs to the rapidly spinning rotor blades/rotor head, by adjusting the rotor pitch/rotor head angle, which is what makes a helicopter go up/down/forward/back/crab.

Bearing in mind that you can't use wires or linkages because they'd get snapped of as soon as the rotor head starts spinning, it's a pure genius solution IMO.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

peter gabriel posted:

Is anyone else getting that? I heard someone say so a while back

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Works for me.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
im in the USA and its blocked :shrug:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

TTerrible posted:

Works for me.

Same. :sweden:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
:britain: Euro supremacy.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

peter gabriel posted:

YouTube posted:

This video contains content from SME, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
USA FYI

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah. US is blocked.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Perhaps it's just not visible to TOXIC DINKS.

I, of course, can see it perfectly well. Probably because I love Star Citizen and am continually impressed and amazed by the groundbreaking progress made by every team around the world doing things that everybody thought was impossible and every day they prove Derek Smart wrong in everything he ever said since he was a little girl.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Ok, I'll get the law changed in the USA, brb

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
What happens if you try one of those IP thingy youtube viewers?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ManofManyAliases posted:

Ok so to put it bluntly: they are a business. Sure - they're producing a video game without a publisher (and some would say with misguided management - time will tell), and via a crowd-funded venture. Some of the more blatant trolls here will argue that other funding sources are minimal. Yet some here with a bit more business accumen can understand that no business that wishes to exceed banks on once source of income for progression. Ok - that part is said.

To answer your question, and based on my preface: I think they can absolutely continue to offer ships for pledges/donations so long as they now "have a ship pipeline" that they can reasonable stick with. With over 300 people working, I'm sure there are enough individuals that can be dedciated to working on concepting, designing, and rendering ships that it wouldn't detract from other key elements of development. Now - forget for a second that concept ships might not make it to engine right away, and that they are offering ships for cash before other facets of the game are further developed. Are they forcing anyone to buy it? Nevermind that ships can presumably be bought in-game. They are not forcing anyone to purcahse ships. They are not saying that 'in order to continue funding development, we need to sell these ships - so buy!' They are making something available to people who continue to back a project while still in creation.

If we were to close out all communication of development from this point forward and pretend - for instance - that this were a project run by a publisher, we likely wouldn't hear anything about development progress until later alpha/beta stages, were only a select few thousand were invited, and then a few more in public beta: approx 6-8 months from release (similar to how COD, BF, etc do things). Those users never get anything prior to game release, unless they pre-purchase the title and are offered some mediocre bonus for doing so.

CIG is very unorthodox (and some of you may interpret unorthodox to mean inexperienced, complacent, whatever) in their methods of communication. But, they technically are divulging more about the development process than most other games have done this early in the game.

In summation, I don't have a problem with a business that wants to offer somethign for sale to make money. They are self-tasked with developing and producing a game, but if they want to make some extra cash doing so, they can try. People vote with their wallets. That's not an excuse for ignorance or stupidity. It's just the way of consumerism.

Of course this whole argument is predicated on the concept of there ever being a stable, functional, non-legally actionable product. Which, frankly, I am far from convinced there will ever be, due to management's apparently complete lack of focus, not to mention terrifyingly fragile egos (as made evident by CIG's inability to say "no" to amazingly frivolous, technically improbable feature requests).

Mind you, I would LOVE to be proven wrong. But given the train wreck I am seeing that somehow goes faster the longer it slides down the track, I suspect I will end up just watching the horror as a lot of people lose money and jobs.

Also, PROTIP! for being taken seriously - Spellcheck. Learn it. Know it. Live it.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

peter gabriel posted:

Ok, I'll get the law changed in the USA, brb

Heh, SME? Is that supposed to be Sony Music Entertainment? What song did you have in it?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Lladre posted:

Here's the thing. The question was, is it a scummy thing to do.
No one is forced to buy a ship.
But that's not how cons work.

When people get conned they give the con artist money. They aren't forced to at gun point. No one here is accusing CIG of robbery. They are accusing CIG of acting ina shady manner akin of a con artist.

So when your business model seems like a con. It's a scummy business model.

And, even IF the ship is available in game, there's a (barely) non-zero probability that it will:

A] Work,
B] Not kill you during EVA, or
C] Have the functional feature set you were promised at time of sale.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

Can someone here with a bit of business accumen explain what the gently caress the second part of that sentence means? Or is MoMA drunk?

Not drunk. He's over-steaked.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Lladre posted:

Heh, SME? Is that supposed to be Sony Music Entertainment? What song did you have in it?

Wham :lol:

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Then I'm siding with the law on this one.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

ManofManyAliases posted:

In summation, I don't have a problem with a business that wants to offer somethign for sale to make money. They are self-tasked with developing and producing a game, but if they want to make some extra cash doing so, they can try. People vote with their wallets. That's not an excuse for ignorance or stupidity. It's just the way of consumerism.
Well, that's an answer, I guess. At least it gives me a clear understanding of your sense of what their business is and who their customers are, and how/why these ship sales are put together.

But I'm more in Lladre's camp: a business model that looks this much like a con is a scummy one, plain and simple, and saying that it relies upon the ignorance or stupidity (or sunk cost fallacies, or even starry-eyed idealism) of people doesn't really make it less odious. Pleading consumerism isn't a magic wand that transforms unethical business practices into ethical ones. If their ship-design pipeline now works the way they claim, they really should break this cycle and take a month or two off to get the ship they want to sell next into the game before being so 'generous' about letting their backers vote with their wallets again. It'd be more sustainable over a longer time than their current "take their money now, and let them guess when they might get something in exchange for it" policy, if nothing else.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

What happens if you try one of those IP thingy youtube viewers?

Yeah, it works if I use a proxy site to say I'm in the EU. Looks like it's been US blocked.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

thats loving bullshit I'm going to play a wham LP in protest because laws cant stop me from hearing the music of saints via needle & groove

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
cant TOS this poo poo bitch

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Did they ever update the TOS?

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

Did they ever update the TOS?

Yes, it has a new meaning now.

ToS- Totally owned Shitposting

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
:toot::eonwe::pgabz::eonwe:2.4 IS LIVE!!!:eonwe::pgabz::eonwe::toot:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//15377-Star-Citizen-Alpha-240

quote:

Alpha Patch 2.4.0 has been released and is now available for players! This patch provides access to our new Shopping experience, full Hangar interactivity from within the game client via new options and the Port Modification App. Many changes to Crusader and Port Olisar including the implementation of new missions, Alpha Currency and Defender reputation. Tying all these new features together and making them truly possible is our first iteration of server-side Persistence – our first persistent server databases! With this we can begin storing information about in-game characters, items, currency and reputation so they can be recalled between game play sessions. We also have our first pass on control unification between flight and fps controls which promises a much greater experience for our players, new flyable Starfarer and Starfarer Gemini, the hangar-ready Reliant and numerous fixes across the game.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Samizdata posted:

Of course this whole argument is predicated on the concept of there ever being a stable, functional, non-legally actionable product. Which, frankly, I am far from convinced there will ever be, due to management's apparently complete lack of focus, not to mention terrifyingly fragile egos (as made evident by CIG's inability to say "no" to amazingly frivolous, technically improbable feature requests).

Mind you, I would LOVE to be proven wrong. But given the train wreck I am seeing that somehow goes faster the longer it slides down the track, I suspect I will end up just watching the horror as a lot of people lose money and jobs.

Also, PROTIP! for being taken seriously - Spellcheck. Learn it. Know it. Live it.

I'm not going to spellchcek on an internet forum, even more that it is a comedy forum and I'm running around - busy - in between posts. If it comes out right - great. If not, I'm sure people will get over it.

edit: 2.4 is live in the mPU now. Time to go have some fun!

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

ManofManyAliases posted:

edit: 2.4 is live in the mPU now. Time to go have some fun!

I look forward to your impressions, please post them.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Barn Folk posted:

Businesses produce finished goods for profit. What CIG is doing is taking preorders for add-ons for a game yet to be completed. Should the CEO be drawing a salary from a company that has yet to produce anything significant? Shouldn't preorder money be used to fund the game before going into his pocket? Because there is a very real probability that this project tanks before completion.

If it's true, then the senior execs of CIG paying themselves high salaries is one of the things that I find so incredulous about SC. As I said in a post I made a day or two ago, the money that has been recieved for development shouldn't be considerd CIG's property to do as they wish until a fully functioning game that meets all requirements has been delivered.

To draw what I think is a resonable analogy, consider a person setting up a new business (some kind of 'Limited Company,' not a 'Sole Trader', which has different considerations*):

The person is the owner of the Company, and to get it started, they either inject some cash from their own finances, or persuade some investors to inject some cash. This is known as the 'Seed Capital'.

During the initial stages of the Company's existence, the focus is on preparing for the product(s) to be sold, by doing things like setting up premises, sourcing stock, hiring staff, creating the product etc. At this point there is no revenue, because nothing is being sold. The Company is essentially burning through it's cash reserves (known as the 'Burn Rate'), and is aiming to get to the point where it's ready to start selling product and receiving revenue.

A prudently-managed Company would aim to keep the Burn Rate as low as possible, to minimize the risk of running out of funds before the Company is ready to start receiving revenue from sales of product. For this reason, the owner pays themselves a reasonable minimum salary during the set-up stage (just enough to live on, without being extravagant). After the point where revenue is being received, they then increase their salary to whatever they decide, because the Company is now self-sustaining. What the owner of the Company decides to pay themselves is up to them, but a wise owner will pay themselves at a level dependant of the profitability of the Company.

My issue with CIG is that they appear to be treating the cash they have as if it is revenue from sales, rather than Seed Capital, or even worse, like it was their own personal wealth. They haven't delivered the product yet, but for a long time have been spending as if they had. They should be husbanding their cash to protect against the possibilty of unforseen delays or costs. Otherwise they increase the risk of the Company becoming insolvent before it's ready to start recieving revenue from sales. We already know that they're spending ridiculous amounts on money of coffee machines, office furniture, doors (!), and first-class air travel, which is bad enough, but if it's also true that they're paying themselves high salaries, then not only is it foolish, but it's immoral and totally disrespectful to the backers who gave them the money in the first place.

Once the full game is released (if it ever is), then Chris Roberts and Co can pay themselves whatever they want as far as I'm concerned, because at that point the product has been delivered and the money is coming from revenue. Hell, if the money was used wisely and the product was acceptably good, I wouldn't care if CR became a billionaire, because he would have earned it. But before that point, only the minimum should be taken out, including the rumoured millions of seed capital paid back to Chris and Sandi after the wildly successful KS ended.

* With a Sole Trader, there is no legal/financial distinction between the business and the owner. In fact, Sole Traders aren't even required to have a separate business bank account, but can instead use their own personal account for business transactions. All business revenue is considered personal income from a tax-perspective, and the businees owner pays income tax on it just as they would if it was salary recieved from an employer. They can of course deduct business expenses to reduce the tax bill, just like any other type of business. A Sole Trader business structure is aimed toward small businesses, such as market traders, not businesses like CIG.

Ponzi fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 11, 2016

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

EminusSleepus posted:

Yes, it has a new meaning now.

ToS- Totally owned Shitposting
Temptation of Shadow
Tenants of Sandi
Terms of Servitude
Temple of Shitizens
Time of Sacrifice
Tomb of Solitude

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'm not going to spellchcek on an internet forum, even more that it is a comedy forum and I'm running around - busy - in between posts. If it comes out right - great. If not, I'm sure people will get over it.
How many fires are you and others at CIG trying to put out? What is Chris doing while Rome burns around you?

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

AP posted:

Space Diapers/Nappies.

I thought this was Goat Simulator at first.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
:siren::siren::siren:NEW TOS:siren::siren::siren:

:siren::siren::siren: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4njwmo/new_tos/:siren::siren::siren:
:siren::siren::siren: http://pastebin.com/bmgXMxtV:siren::siren::siren:

:ducksiren: derek smart DEREK SMART DEREK SMART :ducksiren:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

dudes like moma or octopode or any of them, they all have their things that I disagree with but I can't bring myself to wish ill will on them or any of the whales. I feel bad for the ones blinded by reality and are in total defense mode. Life sucks and is hard and I can't blame anyone who just wants to escape, and unfortunately they tied their horse to the wrong pole. The shill people, I feel bad for them because I think scamming people will one day catch up with them, or they're just dead on the inside and I don't know. Seems lovely to me to be without scruples :shrug:

MoMA is just doing his job, Octopode is brain-damaged, B'tak has issues. It's is hard to wish ill on them.

Karl, Dolvak, Tarkaroshe and the reddit brigade can go gently caress themselves tho.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Lots of "non-refundable" in there

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

http://imgur.com/a/Ov1Tt

MoMA was right. It's not a payment, it's a "pledge".

e: Lol, no more "18 months" now you don't get a refund until the game has ceased development and failed to materialize.

sanctimoniousqfd
Dec 16, 2015
Holy poo poo, they're basically saying that any pledges now are non-refundable until CIG has ceased development. Delivery date can be extended as long as they never admit they have stopped trying to ship the game. Then after that, any pledge amounts applied against pledge item cost and game cost (isn't that *all* of them?!) is "non-refundable regardless of whether or not RSI is able to complete and deliver the Game and/or the pledge items".

Not sure these TOS can be considered legally binding, even in the States?

e: "You acknowledge and agree that the Game and the pledge items delivered to you may differ in certain aspects from the description of the Game and those pledge items that was available on the Website at the time of your Pledge."

Doesn't that mean they can put whatever poo poo they want in the game, call it your Idris, Hull-E, whatever, and say "delivered, no takesie-backsies"?

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Facebook post of CIG on their 2.4 availability has gold mine of comments. I wonder if they will delete some of it lol

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So now we know why toast was so quiet in the past few days, he was busy preparing the mother of all ToS. If you ever think about it you've already accepted it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
Holy poo poo that new TOS.... LOL. Jesus....

SabinBlitz fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 11, 2016

• Locked thread