Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

-Inu- posted:

Overlands and Element 2's will be good until the 50's. Bastion's will be good into the 40's comfortably. Below that, your hands are going to get cold if you're riding for more than 20 minutes or so. Don't bother with heated glove liners. They are basically impossible to fit under gloves. You have to buy a linerless glove, often have to size up, and even then it's a huge hassle to get the liners in and out. Heated gloves are best; you sacrifice protection, but you're also sacrificing your safety if your hands are so cold that they are distracting you.

It all depends on how cold you want to go and how long your rides will be.

gently caress.... I do about 30 miles on a highway that goes down the bay at night, so I've got lots of windchill and moisture to contend with. The temperature doesn't drop below 30 usually, at least. Any relatively protective gloves that are popular here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chichevache posted:

gently caress.... I do about 30 miles on a highway that goes down the bay at night, so I've got lots of windchill and moisture to contend with. The temperature doesn't drop below 30 usually, at least. Any relatively protective gloves that are popular here?

Why don't you get some hippo hands?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

builds character posted:

Why don't you get some hippo hands?

Because

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Try warm and safe? They have a discount if you say you just did the MSF.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I got a pair of Oxford HotHands heated grip wraps, which are fricking AMAZING. Hot as the surface of the goddamn sun. My hands weren't that warm even in the summer, which is wild considering I'm on an unfaired bike.

Unfortunately they make the grips too big for my (extremely tiny) hands, so I have to sell em now :( Real bummer.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Heated grips.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Heated grips.

Still doesn't protect the whole hand from wind chill. These plus something to block the wind would be better.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah given the choice I'd prefer either heated gloves or just warm gloves with wind protection over the bars instead of heated grips. They work but they don't work that great. You gotta keep your fingers on the bars all the time to get the heat transfer, and it only heats the palm of your hand which isn't really the cold side in the wind anyway.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Chichevache posted:

Just get heated gloves. Trust me, it's worth every penny. The EX Gloves are textile so they help block the wind, they are dual-closure (not coming off your hands if you crash), have palm protection and the outer pinky seam is protected.

edit: They also have a DWR coating on the outer shell so they're going to repel moisture/light rain. Not waterproof by any means, but it's better than nothing.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

-Inu- posted:

Just get heated gloves. Trust me, it's worth every penny. The EX Gloves are textile so they help block the wind, they are dual-closure (not coming off your hands if you crash), have palm protection and the outer pinky seam is protected.

edit: They also have a DWR coating on the outer shell so they're going to repel moisture/light rain. Not waterproof by any means, but it's better than nothing.

Yeah, I definitely want heated gloves. Grips alone probably won't do it right now and km not using god drat hippo hands unless I move somewhere with some loving snow. I've got ~some~ self respect.

Any other recommendations for good heated gloves? I'd like a little variety.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

There are other heated gloves, but Gerbing/Gyde are pretty much the industry standard. They use microwire so you can't feel the wires at all and there is a lifetime warranty on the filaments themselves, I believe. Quality is top-notch and they stand by their product. IMO the EX model is their best offering.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Do you have any wind deflection? barkbusters or similar? I find that oxford heated grips, + stock deflectors on my transalp + normal vinter gloves is enough down to freezing temp.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Supradog posted:

Do you have any wind deflection? barkbusters or similar? I find that oxford heated grips, + stock deflectors on my transalp + normal vinter gloves is enough down to freezing temp.

No. No wind protection and I am using Alpinestars SP1 gauntlets right now, which are not winter gear.

Thanks for the rec, Inu. I'm going to snag a pair of the EXs and that should be enough to get me through the rest of winter after I get a pair of pants that aren't mesh Summer gear.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
a little wind protection goes a long way. My snowmobile handwarmers get hot enough to melt the palm of my gloves but without the wind deflection from the windshield, it wouldn't be enough.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

EX250 Type R posted:

a little wind protection goes a long way. My snowmobile handwarmers get hot enough to melt the palm of my gloves but without the wind deflection from the windshield, it wouldn't be enough.

If heated gloves alone can't handle Bay Area weather then I will consider putting great big floppy canvas sacks onto the ZRX to shield me from the hoary chill of winter. Until then I'll do my best to grit my teeth and bear the brisk.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
lol no i mean im in favor of heated gloves over heated grips because i didnt expect you to throw bark busters on your zrx

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

EX250 Type R posted:

lol no i mean im in favor of heated gloves over heated grips because i didnt expect you to throw bark busters on your zrx

Thank god. :glomp:

Also im going to feel like a massive pussy throwing hippo hands on a bike when we don't even get weather below freezing (until the windchill, that is).

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chichevache posted:

Also im going to feel like a massive pussy throwing hippo hands on a bike when we don't even get weather below freezing (until the windchill, that is).

http://www.warmnsafe.com/generation-windblock-womens-heated-pants-liner/

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Chichevache posted:

Alpine Overland Drystar
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-overland-drystar-gloves
I know it will fit just fine and I actually like hi-viz on my hands because I want drivers to see my fingers.

Picked these up a few weeks ago and they're really good, thin enough to let you feel poo poo but keep all the water and wind out (it's been about 40-50 over here), pretty good protection as there was no noticeable damage from when i highsided my bike either!

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

M42 posted:

I got a pair of Oxford HotHands heated grip wraps, which are fricking AMAZING. Hot as the surface of the goddamn sun. My hands weren't that warm even in the summer, which is wild considering I'm on an unfaired bike.

Unfortunately they make the grips too big for my (extremely tiny) hands, so I have to sell em now :( Real bummer.

will they fit on a cb500x? I might want to get them off of you if they do.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Chichevache posted:

Honestly, nothing is quite as miserable as cold and damp. Our weather and yours is pretty similar: it's cold, it's humid, and if you have any wind chill at all it's just wretched. Give me cold and dry any day for riding.

I got a pair of the Rukka lobster gloves last winter, and they've been amazing so far. That and heated grips, and I was riding in sub-30F temps (for no more than about 30-40 minutes at a time) last year pretty comfortably. They keep the wet out, which I think is the most important part. Also, they have actual armor (palm sliders, scaphoid protection) which is more than can be said for a lot of the cold weather gear.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

nitrogen posted:

will they fit on a cb500x? I might want to get them off of you if they do.

They're universal, they just wrap around any grip and velcro together, and connect with pigtails to the battery. Send me a PM if ya want

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Lynza posted:

Honestly, nothing is quite as miserable as cold and damp. Our weather and yours is pretty similar: it's cold, it's humid, and if you have any wind chill at all it's just wretched. Give me cold and dry any day for riding.

I got a pair of the Rukka lobster gloves last winter, and they've been amazing so far. That and heated grips, and I was riding in sub-30F temps (for no more than about 30-40 minutes at a time) last year pretty comfortably. They keep the wet out, which I think is the most important part. Also, they have actual armor (palm sliders, scaphoid protection) which is more than can be said for a lot of the cold weather gear.

I found a proper leather gauntlet from Gerber that is heated. :cool: Deciding on that or the EX textile tonight.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Also keep in mind that you are going to need a Temperature Controller, or at the very least an On/Off Switch. Heated gear will burn you if you don't have a way to regulate the temperature.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

-Inu- posted:

Also keep in mind that you are going to need a Temperature Controller, or at the very least an On/Off Switch. Heated gear will burn you if you don't have a way to regulate the temperature.

I watched the Revzilla videos. :smug:

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Chichevache posted:

I watched the Revzilla videos. :smug:

Anthony is so dreamy :swoon:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Does he keep your hands warm?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

who is anthony.

Anyway, I finally got around to trying this monstrosity of a suit on.

You absolutely have to go up one size from what you would normally wear. I was wearing a US50 (my normal size) without a back protector and it was so tight that the reinforced speed hump was digging right into my shoulder blades. Also, whoever though that removable liners were a good idea should be taken out to pasture. They are the most annoying thing in existence (at least the way Dainese does them).

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

-Inu- posted:

whoever though that removable liners were a good idea should be taken out to pasture. They are the most annoying thing in existence (at least the way Dainese does them).

What do you mean? I love the removable quilted liner in my Dainese jacket. I have to remove/refit it seldom enough that I can't really imagine ever getting annoyed with the process, it takes like three minutes. This is the two zips, two sleeve press studs, two sleeve elastic loops with press studs and the neck press stud method.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

-Inu- posted:

who is anthony.

HeythisisanthonyfromRevzillaTVwhereyoucanwatch,decide,andride!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdaduZ_Rr9w

So revzilla is sold out of the Gerbert EXs in my size. My other two options are the Hero and the Vanguard, which are full leather but also $200-220. :sigh: Guess I'm dropping 250+ on gloves and a thermostat. I'll let you all know if they work real good.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Here4DaGangBang posted:

What do you mean? I love the removable quilted liner in my Dainese jacket. I have to remove/refit it seldom enough that I can't really imagine ever getting annoyed with the process, it takes like three minutes. This is the two zips, two sleeve press studs, two sleeve elastic loops with press studs and the neck press stud method.
It's not the process of removing it - it's the fact that the way they are secured means they shift around a ton and your feet get caught on them etc.

Chichevache posted:

So revzilla is sold out of the Gerbert EXs in my size. My other two options are the Hero and the Vanguard, which are full leather but also $200-220. :sigh: Guess I'm dropping 250+ on gloves and a thermostat. I'll let you all know if they work real good.
That's a shame. I don't understand why they aren't releasing a new version of the EX - it was a fantastic glove. With that said, get the Vanguards. Protection wise, you really want that dual-closure. The Vanguards have a reinforced knuckle, protected pinky seam, superfabric, and they actually have a water resistant membrane. Don't get the Hero. Protection-wise, they are completely useless because there is no way to keep it attached to your hand. That "gauntlet" closure does nothing - I had it strapped as tightly as I could and I was able to pull the glove off my hand with no effort whatsoever.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chichevache posted:

HeythisisanthonyfromRevzillaTVwhereyoucanwatch,decide,andride!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdaduZ_Rr9w

warmnsafe.com

edit: comes with bonus rage. http://www.warmnsafe.com/we-invent-they-copy-why/

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

:lol: Now I've got to do some research, but I think their stuff looked good at first glance.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

-Inu- posted:

It's not the process of removing it - it's the fact that the way they are secured means they shift around a ton and your feet get caught on them etc.

Oh, lined PANTS? I can't speak to that, but I can imagine that would be a bit painful.

Sounds like they've been heat-trolled.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Oh, lined PANTS? I can't speak to that, but I can imagine that would be a bit painful.
Oh, my fault - I completely missed the part where you said "quilted liner". I think thermal liners/rain liners/etc are awesome as poo poo. It's the removable mesh liners commonly found in race suits that are terrible. The idea is that you sweat a ton in suits so you can wash the mesh liner, but 1) everything these days is antimicrobial, 2) that doesn't solve the "problem" of the leather in the suit itself, 3) febreeze exists. In actuality all it does is constantly twists in the arms and legs, or you get the suit on and the liner is all twisted and uncomfortable.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
There's a helmet I'm fairly sure actually exists where when the visor flips down, it also gets pulled back into the hinges so as to be flush with the helmet surface (or at least more so than most) when closed.

Anyone know what I'm talking about, or did I imagine this?

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Renaissance Robot posted:

There's a helmet I'm fairly sure actually exists where when the visor flips down, it also gets pulled back into the hinges so as to be flush with the helmet surface (or at least more so than most) when closed.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-helmets-internal-sun-visor ?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

I know what you're talking about, shoei and a few other brands have systems in the hinges that have this effect and press the visor into the rubber bead around the outside to make it watertight. It isn't that unusual but it's mostly an expensive helmet thing AFAIK because it makes the whole visor and hinge area more complicated.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Correct. With older helmets such as the RF-1000 you would have to manually adjust the baseplates (they could shift over time) to make a full seal. The modern design (e.g. RF-1200) uses a spring to pull the visor against the rubber seal so you don't have to manually adjust. Not sure off the top of my head which/if any "non-premium" helmet do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

2015 ZLA Awards are up. I don't necessarily agree with all of the picks, but they're there.