Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

ReverendHammer posted:

I noticed the white band bit the other day. It seemed to come up most often when I was using chain drive... but it would only occur after I took a few shots, stopped for a moment, and then tried to focus so I could shoot again. The band would flash for a moment just right before it would try to hunt for focus. I was shooting in compressed RAW so maybe it was some weird effect of the camera trying to do so much at once?

I love the shots you got with it. I'm really digging this camera for concert stuff.

Thanks!

yeah, it's a stellar camera. Super happy with the improvements over the X-T1, just learning some of the peculiarities still. I want to have a plan in place when I fill up my card in slot 1 shooting Raw + JPEG (raw on card 1, jpeg on card 2). It'd be nice if it then just jumped over to the second card and started shooting raw on it. I guess the best solve is probably just to get another card to pop into the first slot when/if I fill it.

The white band is annoying but doesn't seem to effect performance too much. There are definitely some times though where I am close to the buffer and responsiveness isn't what I'd like it to be. like if I stop shooting long enough for it to try and catch up and then I go to resume shooting again sometimes there's a delay in "wake-up" time for lack of a better term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Yeah I'm looking to upgrade my E-M5 at some point and I'm unsure if I want to go E-M1 mk 1 or 2 so please do.

You got it :cheers:

First impressions from sitting here at my desk, in no particular order: (and again, in comparison to the EM1 mk 1)

The grip is more substantial, and definitely grips better where your thumb rests. Having a tilt/swivel screen is fantastic, especially because, like my old E-5, I can completely flip it around to face in against the body to both keep the screen off and protect it. EVF refresh rate i think is doubled, and it looks much nicer from that front. 3 custom shooting settings on the mode dial! Shutter button feels a little more sensitive, but that may just be me having hammered the old one so much.

:slick: TWO SD CARD SLOTS :slick:

I can definitely get a better grip on this than the Mk1, but I'm also 6'6" and have pretty big hands, and the Mk1 suited me perfect once I had the battery grip as well.

Y'know how i think all the m4/3 bodies included little direct flashes that were largely useless? Now it tilts and swivels, and it's not half bad! You can actually use it as a bounce flash!

:woop: TWO SD CARD SLOTS :woop:

I'll take some side-by-side comparison photos tonight and do some more comparing.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

:slick: TWO SD CARD SLOTS :slick:

:woop: TWO SD CARD SLOTS :woop:
Quick question, how many SD card slots does it have

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

whatever7 posted:

Are you getting it w the trigger? How much is the trigger?

I don't think the fuji trigger is out yet. I'm planning on eventually getting one and an AD200.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

DJExile posted:

New stuff on 43rumors, so grain of salt and all that, but none of this seems too out-of-the-ordinary

goddamnit Olympus, release the E-M5 III with the 20MP sensor and weather-sealing already

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

nexxai posted:

Quick question, how many SD card slots does it have

four, 3 for good posts and photos

and i'm only gonna fill 1 :radcat:

curried lamb of God posted:

goddamnit Olympus, release the E-M5 III with the 20MP sensor and weather-sealing already

Pretty sure both the EM-5s are weather sealed, FWIW. I think only the EM10s haven't been.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
But does it take Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

whatever7 posted:

But does it take Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo?

man I wish, that's a fukkn rad format

:siren: HEY YOU GUYS HERE'S DJEXILE'S DUMB GAY COMPARISON BETWEEN THE EM1 MK1 AND EM1 MK2 :siren:

So yeah first off, this little flash that came with it? It's actually not half bad! I've always just tossed the little flashes aside when I got a new body but this I could legit see using in a pinch, or tossing in a bag to travel with. Its by no means powerful but to add a little bounce flash if I'm out dicking around? Hey, why not?

So here's the mk1 battery (left) next to the new one. Holy poo poo. The new one is gigantic. Mk1 battery was rated for around 350 shots, the new ones add about 100 shots worth of capacity, and from most reviews the capacity is far improved. That said, I never had too much of an issue with the Mk1 in terms of battery capacity. It obviously really depends on what you're doing, but it never bothered me much with the Mk1. The cheaper Wasabi batteries are everywhere and work great for the Mk1.

Quick few side-by-side shots. Mk1 on the left. Bonus Fat Pony in the background.

As you can see, controls are nearly identical so going from one to the other shouldn't be difficult. The build feels just as robust as the Mk1 did, and I've beaten the hell out of the Mk1. I'm sure this will hold up just as well.

Hoo boy the menu system did not get any easier to navigate, and in fact it got even more complex :gonk: There are a shitload more detailed options in the Mk2 than the Mk1 but you're just gonna have to dive into this thing to get used to it. The camera is at least quick to pop up a quick window explaining what each option is when you highlight each item, so that helps a bit.

Mk1 (top) vs. Mk2 (below): I can get a better grip on the Mk2 without the battery grip, but I'm pretty sure i'm still going to get it to help balance out the 40-150mm and 300mm.

Back of the Mk2 with bonus Winston. There's a little better grip here for your thumb than on the Mk1, but the Mk1's isn't bad.

On the whole, just fiddling around with things so far, I can definitely see noted improvements in the Mk2, but i'm sure some of that is just in new camera body hype. The Mk1 is still a great camera and even from getting one last run of shots with it over the weekend, I was still quite happy with it on the whole.

For those wondering about what to buy between the two of them, the Mk1 can be found used for around $500-550 these days and is still a very good body for the money, with great in-body IS, focus stacking, 10FPS, and a whole lot of camera in a relatively small body. The video on the Mk1 is pretty lacking though, but the Mk2 makes a huge improvement on it, if that's important to you. Comparative specs are below, with thanks to DPReview:

OK that is way too many words about a camera body I've owned for like 12 hours compared to one I've had for a couple years now. ENJOY.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

yo

Tell me more about this cat.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

yo

Tell me more about this cat.

his name is Winston and he is v chill and v rad

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Does anyone know if there is any way to set up the Fujifilm PC AutoSave software to download to a network path? It gives an error saying "Choose local drive" when trying to select a network folder, even if it is mounted to a drive letter. My normal workarounds for something like that don't seem to be working.

Pretty loving stupid that you can't download to a network path.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Agreed on the tiny OEM flash thing. I have one of the Fuji flashes that came with the XT1 in my bag because it works on the Xpro2 and it's good enough in a pinch if you just need a tiny bit of fill or whatever.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Also hey olympus, can we please stop with the battery chargers that are the plastic cradle attached to like 7 feet of power cord?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DJExile posted:

Also hey olympus, can we please stop with the battery chargers that are the plastic cradle attached to like 7 feet of power cord?

You mean inches right?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spankmeister posted:

You mean inches right?

Maybe they're different in europe but the ones I've gotten from the DSLR days up until now have always been plastic cradle with super long power cord.

E: oh how about that, you aren't kidding. I guess these are the euro power ones

The ones I get here in the states have like 4-5 feet long power cords. That's hilarious.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

DJExile posted:

four, 3 for good posts and photos

and i'm only gonna fill 1 :radcat:

Pretty sure both the EM-5s are weather sealed, FWIW. I think only the EM10s haven't been.

Sorry, I worded that poorly - I know that they're already sealed. I just want them to release a new E-M5 instead of E-M10. Hell, didn't the E-M10 mark II come out after the E-M5 mark II?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

DJExile posted:

Maybe they're different in europe but the ones I've gotten from the DSLR days up until now have always been plastic cradle with super long power cord.

The ones I get here in the states have like 4-5 feet long power cords. That's hilarious.
There's a good reason this guy often shows up in the "Frequently purchased with" space on Amazon when looking at the X-T2 and other accessories. Fuji's battery charger has the same problem.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DJExile posted:

Yeah I usually just let the thing dangle from the socket when charging my batteries. Really weird that they'd give the US market a way too long and the EU market a way too short cable.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Internet Explorer posted:

Does anyone know if there is any way to set up the Fujifilm PC AutoSave software to download to a network path? It gives an error saying "Choose local drive" when trying to select a network folder, even if it is mounted to a drive letter. My normal workarounds for something like that don't seem to be working.

Pretty loving stupid that you can't download to a network path.

Have you mapped your network location to a drive letter?

There is software like alwayssync that copy/move poo poo for you.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

whatever7 posted:

Have you mapped your network location to a drive letter?

There is software like alwayssync that copy/move poo poo for you.

Yeah, even with it mounted to a drive letter the software still errors out. I was hoping to avoid downloading locally and syncing, but I guess that's the only way to do it wirelessly for now. Just getting to be a bit too many moving pieces when adding Lightroom, syncing to Google Photos, etc. My wife likes to handle all of that and the less it breaks the less I get to hear about it.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

There's a good reason this guy often shows up in the "Frequently purchased with" space on Amazon when looking at the X-T2 and other accessories. Fuji's battery charger has the same problem.

I just buy the wasabi or whatever 2 batteries and a charger set and use that for traveling, then keep the originals at home.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

JHVH-1 posted:

I just buy the wasabi or whatever 2 batteries and a charger set and use that for traveling, then keep the originals at home.

Or do what I do and use the wasabi charger even at home. I have several of them.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Can this thread be a refuge for A-mount users too since they're all EVF at this point? I just got an a99ii last week (to replace an aging a99 mark 1) and it's basically all the stuff you love about an a7Rii without all the bad parts.

8th-snype posted:

Or do what I do and use the wasabi charger even at home. I have several of them.

Nothin wrong with Wasabi, been using them for years.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So my wife and I had a chance to play with our new camera (X-T20) and we both love it. Huge thank you to this thread for helping me pick out an awesome camera. I'm happy and more importantly the wife is happy. As promised, here are the best of our few awful pictures we took on our first camera walkabout. Thanks again Mirrorless Thread! (Imgur was acting up, sorry for the crappy links.)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

JHVH-1 posted:

kefkafloyd posted:

Nothin wrong with Wasabi, been using them for years.

Yeah I don't think there are wasabi batteries for the EM1 mk2 yet but I'm gonna snag a few when they are. I've loved them in my previous cameras.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Don't wasabi batteries get very hot? :downsrim:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DJExile posted:

Yeah I don't think there are wasabi batteries for the EM1 mk2 yet but I'm gonna snag a few when they are. I've loved them in my previous cameras.

BOO THIS MAN

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Ola posted:

Don't wasabi batteries get very hot? :downsrim:

Not in my em5

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I had a Wasabi battery in my X-T1 shooting 30ish frames per minute for about 20 minute straight. I was also flashing 4 AA Enerloops in a Yongnuo flash at full power for the same duration.

The Wasabi was tepid, and still at basically full charge. The AA Enerloops were hot to the touch and each took about 20 minutes to cool to "warm" when pulled from the flash.

So, Wasabis could probably be worse!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

bobfather posted:

I had a Wasabi battery in my X-T1 shooting 30ish frames per minute for about 20 minute straight. I was also flashing 4 AA Enerloops in a Yongnuo flash at full power for the same duration.

The Wasabi was tepid, and still at basically full charge. The AA Enerloops were hot to the touch and each took about 20 minutes to cool to "warm" when pulled from the flash.

So, Wasabis could probably be worse!

Ropes4u posted:

Not in my em5

wooooooosssssssssh

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

wooooooosssssssssh

get a load of these guys...

they should do airport photography because the joke went right over their heads!

:downsrim:

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

MMD3 posted:

The white band is annoying but doesn't seem to effect performance too much. There are definitely some times though where I am close to the buffer and responsiveness isn't what I'd like it to be. like if I stop shooting long enough for it to try and catch up and then I go to resume shooting again sometimes there's a delay in "wake-up" time for lack of a better term.

I'm a bit curious to know if the white band and wake up get a bit better if you're shooting on UHS-2 cards. I would think hypothetically it might... but alas I can't test any time soon since my local Fry's didn't have any.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
A while ago i had my Canon ff dslr stolen. Plan was to replace it with a Sony a7r2. But i used to have a a6000 and the handling and well, me being so afraid of breaking it all the time made me rethink.

Started looking at Fuji, and for once i actually decided to not go all in from the start. I found a deal on a lightly used GS x-t1 with the 35mm 1,4. Picked It up yesterday and god drat. Its mint. I also got a 18-55 zoom that looks like its seen som poo poo. But I works great.

First impressions is that the x-t1 is what I wanted the a6000 to be. And that when I eventually get a x-t2 it will need to be graphite silver.

First picture taken with it was ofc of my dog

fjelltorsk fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 21, 2017

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

fjelltorsk posted:

A while ago i had my Canon ff dslr stolen. Plan was to replace it with a Sony a7r2. But i used to have a a6000 and the handling and well, me being so afraid of breaking it all the time made me rethink.

Started looking at Fuji, and for once i actually decided to not go all in from the start. I found a deal on a lightly used GS x-t1 with the 35mm 1,4. Picked It up yesterday and god drat. Its mint. I also got a 18-55 zoom that looks like its seen som poo poo. But I works great.

First impressions is that the x-t1 is what I wanted the a6000 to be. And that when I eventually get a x-t2 it will need to be graphite silver.

https://i.imgur.com/ZL36VpV.jpg

First picture taken with it was ofc of my dog
https://i.imgur.com/ZL36VpV.jpg
That's a weird-rear end dog. Also nice choice of strap fellow PD Tallac Edition Sling strap haver.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

Helen Highwater posted:

That's a weird-rear end dog. Also nice choice of strap fellow PD Tallac Edition Sling strap haver.

phonepostin like a boss :saddowns:

Yeah, i love the PD sling. feels kind of overkill on a x-t1 tho, but i can see a 50-140 in my future, so it might be nice when it gets heavier.

Anyone used the x-t1 with a battery grip?, i kind of feel like the grip is a touch on the small side. but that can just be the change from a hulking 1d.

fjelltorsk fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 21, 2017

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I found an amazingly great deal on an X-T20 that's getting delivered today. I'm coming from a launch X-T1, so time will tell if the worse ergonomics, EVF, and dials really matter versus all the improvements the X-T20 offers.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!
For any of you X-T2 owners, the Booster grip is on sale on some sites, down to $226 on Amazon, not sure how long it'll last: https://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-VPB-XT2-Vertical-Power-Booster/dp/B01I4FGTP2

Was also on sale at Adorama and B&H when I checked.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

fjelltorsk posted:

phonepostin like a boss :saddowns:

Yeah, i love the PD sling. feels kind of overkill on a x-t1 tho, but i can see a 50-140 in my future, so it might be nice when it gets heavier.

Anyone used the x-t1 with a battery grip?, i kind of feel like the grip is a touch on the small side. but that can just be the change from a hulking 1d.

Yeah, when the x-t1 was my main camera I always used a grip. It was a third party one - I forget the brand but it was good and definitely helped with ergonomics and battery life. Now that it is my second body, I just use the booster grip on the x-t2 and leave the x-t1 without a grip.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Quick report on going from a launch X-T1 to an X-T20:

The X-T20 viewfinder is objectively worse in terms of size, especially since I wear glasses. I will temper that by also saying that in full mode, the X-T1 viewfinder was too big, and required saccadic movement to see the whole frame. In practice, the X-T1 viewfinder was better for confirming critical focus from the viewfinder, while the X-T20 viewfinder doesn't require saccadic movement to compose properly. Color rendition and refresh rate on the X-T20 viewfinder is much nicer, and it seems quite a bit brighter than the X-T1 viewfinder.

Handling of the '20 is somewhat worse, since it's smaller. I have medium-sized hands and only use a wrist strap. I lift weights and have decent finger grip strength, which I think helps with being able to hold and stabilize the '20 in spite of this. I personally think I can get used to the smaller size of the '20, but I've read that lots of people feel they can't. My longest lens is the 55-200, and my heaviest is (I think) the 90 f/2. Neither lens felt terrible when mounted to the '20, and actually felt pretty similar to when I had them mounted on the '1.

Button pad on the '20 is perfect. It's clicky where the '1 was mushy. Buttons and dials on the '20 in general are just great compared to the '1, and the '20 has a really nice exposure comp Custom mode that shifts control of exposure comp to the front command dial. It's even better to use the '20 this way because shifting it to the front dial gives you +-5 EV, while using the exposure dial up top is only +-3 EV. Both command dials are smooth, tactile buttons themselves, which is really nice.

The '20 touch screen is great. I don't often shoot high or low, but it's really, REALLY nice in those situations. This is one of the few ways I feel the '20 is objectively better than the X-T2.

The built-in flash on the '20 is great. The Q menu has a weird bug though where in Manual flash mode you can't adjust flash power from the Q menu, but when the flash is in TTL mode you can adjust flash power. I might bug Fuji about this.

Moving the SD card slot to the bottom on the '20 is a pain, compared to the '1. I'll get over it though.

In pretty much every single other respect the '20 is better, faster, more capable. You can read about all that in any review of the '20 or '2.

I got my '20 for $720 in fairly special deal, and for that price I'm definitely keeping it. I'm looking to get about $550 net for my '1 and about $80 net for the battery grip for it, so the price will be nearly a wash.

I do think the price of the X-T2 is a mistake, and Fuji would be smart to lower it. There's no way I'd have paid $600 more to solve the limitations I outlined above, but I would have paid $300 more. Or perhaps they're just charging way too little for the X-T20. Dollar for dollar though, the X-T20 is a far better value.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Good review. Doesn't XT1 give you more buttons to get to customized menu directly?

Does the XT20 give you touch to focus?

I also miss a flash on the XT1. I literally picked up the XT1 tiny flash from the box once, put it down and never found it again.