Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Sockington posted:

"..and it makes things like this possible" *pans to this guy*

:smugjones:

Life been pretty rough for that guy after he left alien ant farm eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

muike posted:

i bought one of these. i want to see what it's like

verdict: pretty good actually

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I just tune and pull on the strings and tune and im done.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Here's how to stretch strings for the anally retentive. Tune to pitch then stick a pencil under the string at the 3rd fret. Press down on the string with your finger and slide towards the pencil while using it to pull upwards. When you feel enough tension move the pencil to the 5th fret and keep sliding your finger after it. Pause at every dotted fret or the most common harmonic nodes for that string, Retune and check intonation at the 12th fret when you're done.

Takes like 30 seconds per string and you don't have to buy a gadget. Hell you can even slide your pinky under the string in place of the pencil like I usually do. Just don't let the plain strings get into the underside of your knuckles and pinch too hard, a high 0.09' string or sharp fret end can cut but everyone knows guitars play better when you feed them blood regular so it's not a big deal.

Verizian fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 29, 2016

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Verizian posted:

Here's how to stretch strings for the anally retentive. Tune to pitch then stick a pencil under the string at the 3rd fret. Press down on the string with your finger and slide towards the pencil while using it to pull upwards. When you feel enough tension move the pencil to the 5th fret and keep sliding your finger after it. Pause at every dotted fret or the most common harmonic nodes for that string, Retune and check intonation at the 12th fret when you're done.

Takes like 30 seconds per string and you don't have to buy a gadget. Hell you can even slide your pinky under the string in place of the pencil like I usually do. Just don't let the plain strings get into the underside of your knuckles and pinch too hard, a high 0.09' string or sharp fret end can cut but everyone knows guitars play better when you feed them blood regular so it's not a big deal.

I don't see what being that anal accomplishes. I always thought you're just trying to take slack out of the string wind at the tuning post.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

fyodor posted:

I just tune and pull on the strings and tune and im done.

I use a $4,000 solid platinum string puller that eliminates bad frequencies upon tugging the strings. Of course you have to do a specific set of exercises first, that only me and 3 other people in the northern hemisphere know.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
All strings stretch over time. You can either play them hard for an hour or stretch them out for a few seconds each to get them to hold tuning, especially when it's a light gauge or tuned down. Besides locking tuners don't have much slack at the post.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

fyodor posted:

I don't see what being that anal accomplishes. I always thought you're just trying to take slack out of the string wind at the tuning post.

Eh, it's because when metal strings are under at least 90lbs of tension they tend to stretch. It's the reason why fresh strings don't hold their tuning until they've been on for a few hours. This thing is meant to speed up that process by having you stretch them manually right after they've been put on.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I just pull near the bridge, nut and 12th fret a couple times and I'm usually good to go.

In other news, dad rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4LbCLFUndg

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

comes along bort posted:

I just pull near the bridge, nut and 12th fret a couple times and I'm usually good to go.

In other news, dad rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4LbCLFUndg

Matt Pike's dad lookin' fly.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Katillac. Get it? "Kat"??

:clint:

Rockabilly has some seriously awful taste.

edit: Jesus H. Christ

edit: VV Hahaha WTF

crashdome fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 29, 2016

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

crashdome posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJKbldl7Ing

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Rockabilly still has nothing on steampunk.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Yes but steampunk isn't a genre of music though.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Weird BIAS posted:

Yes but steampunk isn't a genre of music though.

Oh sweet summer child

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeEI-hh3MG0

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
why did you post a video of white noise? I don't understand.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

So, like all youtube video posts, I skip to the middle and immediately see credits scrolling. There is 4 minutes (uh, correction 5 minutes) of credits in that video. Is that because in the 1800's they were so polite?

crashdome fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 29, 2016

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojYK6CW8gdw

cringeworthy stuff right here

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

they shouldnt be so close to the ocean or they will rust :ohdear:

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
http://loudwire.com/philip-anselmo-white-power-nazi-salute/
Apperently, after Phil Anselmo butchered a lot of hard rock classics and pantera tunes at Dimebash, he heiled the audience and shouted "White Power".
Somehow I almost find his "singing" even more offensive. Still, untalented AND a neo nazi. What an awesome guy.

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012
"Ok folks, I’ll own this one, but dammit, I was joking, and the “inside joke of the night” was because we were drinking f—ing white wine, hahaha…
Of all f—ing things.
Some of y’all need to thicken up your skin.
There’s plenty of f—ers to pick on with a more realistic agenda.
I f—ing love everyone, I f—ing loathe everyone, and that’s that.
No apologies from me"

lmao

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

kjetting posted:

Apperently, after Phil Anselmo butchered a lot of hard rock classics and pantera tunes at Dimebash, he heiled the audience and shouted "White Power".
Somehow I almost find his "singing" even more offensive. Still, untalented AND a neo nazi. What an awesome guy.

holy poo poo

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

There is absolutely no arguing that.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

unlawfulsoup posted:

There is absolutely no arguing that.

gently caress this back to motorhead

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Is there anything worse than nerds acting kooky?

e: ahaha, they literaly met each other in clown-school.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

crashdome posted:

Katillac. Get it? "Kat"??

:clint:

Hell yeah, I would. That's loving great.

crashdome posted:

lol

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
This was probably already posted in the thread, but does anyone else think this design looks really dumb or am I just out of touch with what's cool these days;

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'd like it better if the stain didn't stop at the bevels but i think its alright

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

homewrecker posted:

This was probably already posted in the thread, but does anyone else think this design looks really dumb or am I just out of touch with what's cool these days;

That guitar looks like the wigger with blonde eyebrows of the guitar world.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

If that was just a normal-sized pickguard and not like "eh we'll cover MOST of the front of the guitar", I'd be okay with it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Allen Wren posted:

If that was just a normal-sized pickguard and not like "eh we'll cover MOST of the front of the guitar", I'd be okay with it.

there is no pickguard

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
it'd be better if burl tops didn't look like the wood was growing tumors

and if it wasn't an ibanez

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Diseased wood is metal as hell, until you finish it like a jolly rancher. and im a dude that has a jolly rancher guitar

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
Burl wood basically is a wood tumor. They get the wood from knots that develop. Spalted wood is wood with fungus that grows in the grain and makes black strips. I like a lot of neat woods, but they need to be used well. That Ibanez dyes the more interesting texture and then leaves the plain ash to pop out.

Also that rockabilly guitar guy lives down in San Diego. He used to work at Guitar Center where I've bought strings from him. Now he works for Carvin. He has had that same hair for at least 15 years now.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

homewrecker posted:

It looks really dumb like most ibanez pointy guitars.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

kjetting posted:

why is this a surprise

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

newsflash he has been giving white power speeches at gigs since forever and dimebag had guitars with confederate flags all over them stop the presses

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

They just had an extended Paul Reed Smith circle jerk during the 24 Hours of Daytona race because apparently PRS sponsors the race. It was as 55-year-old orthodontist bluesdad as you would expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
http://www.gtar.fm

Pack it up bros.

fyodor posted:

They just had an extended Paul Reed Smith circle jerk during the 24 Hours of Daytona race because apparently PRS sponsors the race. It was as 55-year-old orthodontist bluesdad as you would expect.

Haha, did he play any sick blues licks?

• Locked thread