Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The iPhone has become totally boring since the 5s. I mean apart from speedier insides, the only big thing I notice from the jump from my 5s to my 6s+ is the 3D Touch which most people don't use. It's a great phone but the iPhone isn't exciting any more at all for me.
The SE kinda just reaffirms my suspicions that they're stagnating. The Galaxy S7 looks might appealing at this stage.

loving lol!

Is this a real post? How on far are you on the spectrum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

My fridge isn't very exciting. GE better step their game up.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

This rectangle with a large screen isn't nearly exciting enough. Better make the jump to a rectangle with a large screen!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"Good" and "exciting" are not remotely the same thing.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

What's so "exciting" about the S7? Genuinely curious.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

This rectangle with a large screen isn't nearly exciting enough. Better make the jump to a rectangle with a large screen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lEt2PkjZBs

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Their marketing clearly identifies the phone as the "next big thing" so you know it's got something jazzy inside it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

xzzy posted:

Their marketing clearly identifies the phone as the "next big thing" so you know it's got something jazzy inside it.

S-touch

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM AN SD CARD INTO THE SLOT. ITS SAMSUNG GALAXY S7 AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ANDROID. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME S-MAILS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXYS MOST DANGEROUS MOBILE OS. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE GESTURES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I didn't spend thousand of American dollars building up my gated ecosystem of apps movies and animes to switch to a Samsung now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

y'all got played 😎

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

y'all got played 😎

The fuckin puppet mastö has appeared!!!

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Do you think there's a Saddle Brown case for the S7? Asking for a friend

Weedle
May 31, 2006

You never know what Android feature you'll discover Samsung having hosed up next!

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
It's cool that they let you do multi-tasking on the phone, and that its water proof, and that it can display the time while the screen sleeps (this might be more appealing to me because I have to constantly mark down the time of things on a sheet at work) and that it can display notifications while the screen sleeps on the edge part, and that it has EXPANDABLE STORAGE!!!

Too bad about it having a bad version of android :( I'm not really interested in Android in general, anyway, though.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
SE is my first phone with Touch ID. It's neat. My muscle memory is gradually adjusting to pushing the home button, and letting it rest there for a second to unlock.

I love how it's actually faster than pushing home and then swiping the screen. It basically adds an extra step for viewing home screen notifications though, right? Like if I want to go to a text directly, I have to swipe the notification, then unlock (either through Touch ID or passcode). I figure it kind of has to be like this, I'm just wondering if there's a more elegant way around it that I'm not aware of.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Minidust posted:

SE is my first phone with Touch ID. It's neat. My muscle memory is gradually adjusting to pushing the home button, and letting it rest there for a second to unlock.

I love how it's actually faster than pushing home and then swiping the screen. It basically adds an extra step for viewing home screen notifications though, right? Like if I want to go to a text directly, I have to swipe the notification, then unlock (either through Touch ID or passcode). I figure it kind of has to be like this, I'm just wondering if there's a more elegant way around it that I'm not aware of.

I'm pretty sure that's how it's worked ever since iOS 5. How could you remove a step from that process?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If you have message previews turned on You can swipe to the left and reply directly. This works for iMessage. For stuff like FB messenger yu still need to use your Touch ID

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The literal only good thing about the SE is the fact that it doesn't have the sleep button in a stupid loving location on the side of the phone.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dunno why they didn't put the lock and volume buttons about an inch lower on the +s

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The literal only good thing about the SE is the fact that it doesn't have the sleep button in a stupid loving location on the side of the phone.

I will never accept the sleep button being on the side. It's been a year and a half and I still loving hate it. I hate it so much.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Weedle posted:

I'm pretty sure that's how it's worked ever since iOS 5. How could you remove a step from that process?

Those of us who didn't use a password pre-touch ID could just swipe the message and it would open the message. Now you have to swipe and unlock.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Phthisis posted:

Those of us who didn't use a password pre-touch ID could just swipe the message and it would open the message. Now you have to swipe and unlock.

Get rid of the password and you'll be back to those halcyon days.

Edit:

Weedle posted:

You can still do this if you remove the passcode and turn off Touch ID.

Removing the passcode/password disables touch ID.

Grassy Knowles fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 5, 2016

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Phthisis posted:

You can still do this if you remove the passcode and turn off Touch ID.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, but touch ID is a good thing.

Chances are I don't *need* a passcode on my phone, so back when it was an extra step in turning on the phone, I decided it wasn't worth it. Touch ID changes things so that it's not an extra step the vast majority of the time, so it's worth the extra protection at a minor inconvenience of the few times I'd want to open a notification directly. Yes, I'd rather be able to open notifications directly, but it's not worth it if it means losing the extra security and features of Touch ID.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Touch ID isn't actually all that secure, it's pretty easy to spoof. It's just a huge convenience because you don't have to peck out a PIN every time you want to use your phone and is "safe enough" to keep casual intruders out.

That's why the phone periodically forces you to unlock with your PIN, to make sure you're actually you. You also can't wipe the phone without the PIN for the same reason.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

Touch ID isn't actually all that secure, it's pretty easy to spoof. It's just a huge convenience because you don't have to peck out a PIN every time you want to use your phone and is "safe enough" to keep casual intruders out.

That's why the phone periodically forces you to unlock with your PIN, to make sure you're actually you. You also can't wipe the phone without the PIN for the same reason.

Right, but unless I'm mistaken, there's no way to have a PIN for those few times when it needs the "more secure" PIN over Touch ID, but not have either at the other times. That is, the options are "no security" or "all security". Touch ID just make the latter much more convenient.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My partner has a Samsung Galaxy and uses the inbuilt calendar, and I've been trying to find a way to get it shared so we can both use it. Is this the easiest way:

Download Google Calendar from Play
Sync her calendar to that one
Add the google account to my iPhone and then bring the calendar in

?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Bass Bottles posted:

People keep saying this but apparently the 6s is more durable than the SE for drops and bends.

It also sounds like the SE is not selling well at all, which is sad.

Apple's 30 million "niche" of 4 inchers which is 13% of all iPhones sold last year is on the same scale in revenue of LG or Sony's entire phone business and only about 7x as profitable.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

My partner has a Samsung Galaxy and uses the inbuilt calendar, and I've been trying to find a way to get it shared so we can both use it. Is this the easiest way:

Download Google Calendar from Play
Sync her calendar to that one
Add the google account to my iPhone and then bring the calendar in

?
She should have Google Calendar on her phone unless she deleted it for some reason. It's part of the standard GApps package Google requires all phones accessing the Play Store to include.

In any case, yeah, what you said should work (note you need to use CalDAV on your iPhone - using the Google account setting doesn't work). Alternatively, you can get the Google Calendar app from the App Store, though I can understand if you prefer to use the stock app or some other alternative.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I had to download it from the Play so maybe she deleted it... doesn't sound like something she'd do though as there's plenty of bloat on the handset still. She's just always used the stock Samsung one.

Ugh that it can't just pick up the calendar from the Google account... surely this is a common enough thing to be made a seamless experience? Why her phone doesn't have a 'share this calendar' button that'll just give me a URL to enter in mine and have them be in sync is frustrating.

Thanks for the info!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's easy enough to do on the website: just click the down arrow next to the calendar you want to share, then it'll take you to a screen where you can input an email address to send it to. No idea about S-Calendar or whatever garbage Samsung bloats their phones with for no particular reason.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

xzzy posted:

This isn't really true. It's actually pretty hard to break TouchID; it's fiddly, unreliable and somewhat expensive. Unless you are being specifically targeted by someone with means, it isn't a limitation. 'Lost mode' also disables TouchID, so the moment you don't know where the phone is, you can flip that on from iCloud and TouchID isn't a factor.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The GPS in my 6 isn't working right.

It stopped working a couple of weeks back and after rebooting and turning location services off and on again it eventually came back within a couple of hours.

It's happened again and has been like this for a couple of days now. The advice online is to reboot/reset network settings/restore but that all just seems like guesswork.

Is this a thing and is there anything other than the above I can try?

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

How are you scratching the glass on these things? Honest question. I've had a 3/4/5/SE and have never seen scratches on the glass.

I was at home sitting on a bar stool and it fell out of my shorts pocket and banged off of the metal infrastructure of two bar stools and landed glass down on a hardwood floor.

I almost never had scratches on my phones. This one was doing good since launch date. I don't remember my OG iPhone, 3GS, or 4S having any scratches on it.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

1997 posted:

AppleCare does not cover scratches. You can ask and they will say no.

I thought AppleCare plus was supposed to take care of two accidental damages? Do I need to ventilate my phone with an accidental 9mm to get it covered?

The scratches aren't really noticeable and you can't feel them, I read somewhere that I probably just scratched off the oleophobic coating.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

It's easy enough to do on the website: just click the down arrow next to the calendar you want to share, then it'll take you to a screen where you can input an email address to send it to. No idea about S-Calendar or whatever garbage Samsung bloats their phones with for no particular reason.

Samsung only puts in their calendar app, which is bad and ugly, and not Google calendar. But it will still sync to google if you sign in. But it's the same as Apple, download s third party calendar app just so it works and looks better.

Edit: I just accidentally deleted my long, way too wordy anyway explanation about how to sync that guys calendars.

Here's a summary: you can't enable share calendars through the phone. You have to go to Google.com/calendar and go to settings. Share is there.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 6, 2016

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Boner Wad posted:

I thought AppleCare plus was supposed to take care of two accidental damages? Do I need to ventilate my phone with an accidental 9mm to get it covered?

The scratches aren't really noticeable and you can't feel them, I read somewhere that I probably just scratched off the oleophobic coating.

My phone had a few scratches in the screen, only one was deep enough to feel (sand in Olloclip)

The new screen in my phone definitely looks much shinier and stays cleaner much longer than the 1.5yr old screen they replaced though. night and day difference. I have a feeling constant in/out of pockets removes the oleophobic coating on the screen after a while.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Boner Wad posted:

It will cover it with a deductible. You'll have to pay that to get your phone replaced for cosmetic stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Keep in mind the deductible is $79 on 6's or earlier and SE's and $99 on 6s's. Even if they'll do it, I can't imagine a few scratches are worth paying that on unless you're gearing up to sell it.