Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Gort posted:

I wouldn't bother spending the time. Life's too short to play things that aren't good.

Civ 6 is good but not great. But it could be great and I'm confident it eventually will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
It's OK. It's not a very good game but there are not many alternatives to scratching that itch of the 4x human civilization genre. If you get 15 hours of enjoyment out of the game before you notice the cracks and the seams and the magic disappears, you'll have a better return of investment of money/fun compared to a movie ticket.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Gort posted:

I wouldn't bother spending the time. Life's too short to play things that aren't good.

Yea, if you absolutely have to play a historical 4X then sure, go for it.

Otherwise don't bother. Use your time for something better.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, I played a lot of Civ5 (17 bucks, full edition, what value!) and I'm playing Endless Legend a lot recently, so the itch is mildly scratched. Endless Space2 etc.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

How does it stack up against Endless Legend with expansions in everyone's opinon?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Autumn Goon Game Post:

I posted on the PYDT site but without notifications, that site isn't the most helpful. I had four crashes during my last turn (48), all happened at different moments during the turn, but all my files validated successful. No idea whats up, but wanted to post so we know in case this continues to occur? Dunno what we could do if the save file got corrupt. Only addon I'm using is the CQUI (which everyone should be using) but I'll disable that to test if it happens on turn 49 / my winter game.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

onesixtwo posted:

Autumn Goon Game Post:

I posted on the PYDT site but without notifications, that site isn't the most helpful. I had four crashes during my last turn (48), all happened at different moments during the turn, but all my files validated successful. No idea whats up, but wanted to post so we know in case this continues to occur? Dunno what we could do if the save file got corrupt. Only addon I'm using is the CQUI (which everyone should be using) but I'll disable that to test if it happens on turn 49 / my winter game.

This has been an ongoing issue for myself and markus as well. We aren't quite sure what's causing it, but it was an issue in Summer Goon Game as well, but isn't one in any of the other games I'm in. There are a few theories (might be something related to Kongo, who was in both games, or might be something like the save file bloating issue that V has), but thus far we haven't been able to confirm anything. I don't use CQUI myself, and I still have the crashes, though.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
HMMMM so you’re telling me that I, as Kongo, have an additional Victory Condition to crash the game into the ground... :smugdog:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, it might be caused by Kongo, but we're not sure. I'm in a couple of other games with Kongo, and so far they're not having the issue, but they're also both still in the Ancient Era and I haven't even met Kongo in one of them. We'll see if the issue starts up in those games too or not.

Unrelated, having started playing V again recently and going in fresh instead of having had years to get used to it, I'm starting to think that a lot of the people complaining about VI while being fans of past games are looking back with very rose-tinted glasses, because V is a really bad game in a lot of respects. The civ balance is trash (the gap between, say, Poland or Korea and the Iroquis or Venice is much, much bigger than the gap between civs like Macedon and France or Norway in VI, and the civs in general are all over the place in quality), the AI is awful and beating it on high difficulties mostly comes down to exploiting its stupidity because it cheats so hard, a lot of the various choices you can make for things like religion or social policy are traps where there's one or two really good options and everything else just isn't worth it, the game actively punishes you for things like expansion... Even things people have complained about for VI are problems here. And this is after years of polish and expansions and whatnot.

Either people are being more forgiving of V because they're used to it/have learned to ignore its problems, or they've confused heavily modded V that smooths over as much of the above as possible for the base game, because it is really bad in pretty much every way VI's accused of and then some, the various bugs and stuff VI needs fixed aside.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I tend to agree, I'm a huge fan of V (all expansions, no mods) but I can't imagine going back to it and quitting VI. While I agree with a lot of the complaints I still find it a fun and challenging game.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I sometimes play V with my friend and the thing that irks me most now is the idea you only really have 3-4 cities. It's really artificially dumb.

Also, the early game in 6, for all it's faults, is tremendously more engaging than V.

barge
Jun 12, 2006

Gort posted:

Most people would say that about making hundreds of posts about them too

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

barge posted:

Most people would say that about making hundreds of posts about them too

Posting from work is rad

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

if you really have a 4x games jones then civ 6 is passable but i been playing this poo poo for 25 years and this isn't a good civ

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I started with IV and didn't like the stacks of death. Played hundreds of hours of civ 5 and didn't like the limited cities and super-wonder capitals, made the games too similar. AI is dumb as hell in VI but it's playable and different enough to keep me interested for now.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hey, I'm sorry, this has probably been asked a few times since the Humble Bundle thing, but I have this game now and played a little bit of it and now want to start a new game fully modded up. The first page of this thread seems out of date on mod suggestions, and a quick scan of the last couple pages didn't yield any, so can I ask (again?): what are the must-have mods for this game? I don't want the Lord of the Rings conversions or whatever, just the stuff that fixes poo poo, makes it good, betters it up, you know.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

credburn posted:

Hey, I'm sorry, this has probably been asked a few times since the Humble Bundle thing, but I have this game now and played a little bit of it and now want to start a new game fully modded up. The first page of this thread seems out of date on mod suggestions, and a quick scan of the last couple pages didn't yield any, so can I ask (again?): what are the must-have mods for this game? I don't want the Lord of the Rings conversions or whatever, just the stuff that fixes poo poo, makes it good, betters it up, you know.

Look up "JFD Rule with Faith". It adds a bunch of government abilities so you don't just pick the obvious good government cards. It also add great theologians that are created with great prophet points so those GPs actually have somewhere to go after you get a great prophet, or even if you don't found a religion.

Edit: I forgot CQUI. It doesn't add any game play, but it does make the UI into something the human brain can use and comprehend.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 7, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CompeAnansi posted:

Civ 6 is good but not great. But it could be great and I'm confident it eventually will be.

this is how i felt about beyond earth, and after civ 6's launch and subsequent middle finger to the players in terms of even basic quality-of-life fixes, i'll be waiting until there are two expansions and if civ 6 has more players than a ten-year-old game at that point, maybe i'll consider getting the complete edition for $5 or something.

firaxis has proven that they don't give a gently caress, and if there's one thing i'm good at, it's sticking to my guns when i say i'll be voting with my wallet in the future.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Wait, civ6 is on humble bundle for 15$? How do I buy that? I usually only buy via steam but that is a price too good to pass.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

turboraton posted:

Wait, civ6 is on humble bundle for 15$? How do I buy that? I usually only buy via steam but that is a price too good to pass.

$12, actually, but yeah. Here you go; you'll also get Australia and the Viking scenario DLC.

Edit: Specifically, it's a Humble Monthly thing. No idea how that works, but there's the link.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 7, 2018

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Since the Civ V thread seems dead: are there any AI mods that work with NQ?

(also it's a shame they ditched Sweden's early modern warmonger theme for the lame nobel prize stuff)

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I'm seeing CQUI pop back up in recs here, I used to have it but one of the patches broke it (I think?) a few months back. Is it fixed now?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

TipTow posted:

I'm seeing CQUI pop back up in recs here, I used to have it but one of the patches broke it (I think?) a few months back. Is it fixed now?

Yes it is fixed. You might have to install an older version from the github, though, depending on your system: https://github.com/Azurency/CQUI_Community-Edition

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, it's hard to discern the validity of griping in this thread since it's all second hand, compared to being able to talk about Civ5 with a grain of salt since I know how to play on Deity. My worry is that I'll buy Civ6, play one game to understand the mechanics, and go into my second game armed with the knowledge that "The AI cannot take a walled city, ever" and start rolling Deity wins while only having to defend myself from religion. That, and the AI is spastic? At last in civ5 it was consistent; the AI will murder you for being weak, and hate you for being strong. Consistency!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Serephina posted:

That, and the AI is spastic? At last in civ5 it was consistent; the AI will murder you for being weak, and hate you for being strong. Consistency!

the AI is spastic but in a different way. it will murder you at the beginning of the game, but only if it can do a joint war. it will hate you for existing, and everyone will go full montezuma on you at all times. every single leaderhead will declare war on you and happily suicide a thousand spearmen on your modern armors.

also, the AI doesn't work properly on the defense, either. it values HP above other various things such as "preventing the loss of a city" or "killing an archer" and will hold back at perplexing times that are actually really predictable because the war AI only takes into account unit health and survival and can't weigh other factors. barbarian AI doesn't have this problem and they don't place any stock in self-preservation, so if a civ is in revolt because you're destroying them and they spawn rebel barbs, you'll suddenly find yourself in deep poo poo because those barbs will go fuckin ham on you

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Do the AI in civ 6 have personalities beyond their agendas? For example, in civ 4 AI leaders were assigned values that emphasized how often they build units/wonders, what techs they prioritized researching, how much espionage they do, what civics they prefer, how much they cared about shared/differing religions, how likely they were to declare war, whether they would declare war when cautious or pleased, how often they ask for help/make a demand and so on.

Does civ 6 have something like that, or are the AI leaders mostly the same outside of their agendas?

Bluff Buster fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 8, 2018

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

The White Dragon posted:

so if a civ is in revolt because you're destroying them and they spawn rebel barbs, you'll suddenly find yourself in deep poo poo because those barbs will go fuckin ham on you

You're telling me. Make sure you're not instigating unrest with your spy when you're invading a city. That war turned upside down real loving quick.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bluff Buster posted:

Does civ 6 have something like that, or are the AI leaders mostly the same outside of their agendas?

civ 6 empire management behavior is like civ 5 in that, outside of decisions like where to place cities, it's completely arbitrary. if you turned off preserve random seed, there's an equal chance for a computer civ to use one civic card over any other :downs:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Is there a mod that changes the behaviour of warring AI into barbarian AI behaviour? If so, how does it change the game?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I don't think modders have the level of code penetration

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

John F Bennett posted:

Is there a mod that changes the behaviour of warring AI into barbarian AI behaviour? If so, how does it change the game?

From the description this mod seems to make some changes that, while not using the barbarian AI, seem to improve it: https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/ai.25439/
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=878717347

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

The White Dragon posted:

the AI is spastic

Man that's some disgusting language right there.

I think I prefer 5 because the UI is just easier to use. I can queue things up. I can puppet cities so I don't have to spend forever managing them all if I get some off a baddy. There's just so much quality of life stuff that isn't there in 6.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Roland Jones posted:

$12, actually, but yeah. Here you go; you'll also get Australia and the Viking scenario DLC.

Edit: Specifically, it's a Humble Monthly thing. No idea how that works, but there's the link.

I wonder if there's anything preventing me to subscribing it just toi get civ 6 cheap and unsubscribing later? Does that makes me a terrible person?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Elias_Maluco posted:

I wonder if there's anything preventing me to subscribing it just toi get civ 6 cheap and unsubscribing later? Does that makes me a terrible person?

I think that is largely expected. Which is why the first tier of pricing specifies you can unsub at any time. They hope that people will lock themselves into longer subs for slightly cheaper prices.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I'm only a game and a half into Civ6 and I think it's very worth it. The most glaring flaw is that they somehow made archers even more dominant than Civ5 and the AI still can't cope.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Straight White Shark posted:

I'm only a game and a half into Civ6 and I think it's very worth it. The most glaring flaw is that they somehow made archers even more dominant than Civ5 and the AI still can't cope.

Yeah, I don't really get how they managed to take the most basic bit of combat modelling - "What happens if a warrior fights an archer?" - and completely screw it up two games in a row.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

onesixtwo posted:

Autumn Goon Game Post:

This has been happening for some time and must be a bug. I use no mods whatsoever and I've done a clean reinstall. Hopefully they'll get it fixed in the upcoming expansion because I've sent them like a million crash reports. So far the "only" solution is to plan your whole turn ahead while letting it crash and restarting... and then once you know exactly what you want to do, just load the game, do all the moves very quickly and send it before it manages to crash. It's not a very good solution. :(

My current wild theory is that it's something music related (Kongo?) since it only seems to be crashing when no music track is playing and presumably at a time when another one would start. I might be very wrong though. I also haven't tested it yet while having music disabled.

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 8, 2018

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Archers should be killed instantly when attacked, everytime.
Cities should not be able to bombard.

Or just use the CIV1 model of war, no hitpoints only win/lose.

Does this exist in a mod? If not, is this possible to make with current modding tools?

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

John F Bennett posted:

Or just use the CIV1 model of war, no hitpoints only win/lose.

For every single thing Civ6 doesn't do optimally, theres always a goon with some really terrible suggestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

There are no hitpoints in life, man. An army doesn't regroup that quickly without supply lines.

Which brings me to another thing