Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Good grief. I've been spending a while looking for good video walkthroughs of this game in general on youtube, and it seems videos come in two varieties: tolerable commentary but not very good at the game, or good at the game but make me want to jam the mute button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Good grief. I've been spending a while looking for good video walkthroughs of this game in general on youtube, and it seems videos come in two varieties: tolerable commentary but not very good at the game, or good at the game but make me want to jam the mute button.

Have you seen PartyElite's videos? I reckon hes got both traits!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dQ-y4Xomdw

This is the first video in his long line of beginners guide videos, but hes also got breakdown videos of replays and his own let's plays!

VV :smug:

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 26, 2017

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Cythereal posted:

PartyElite is good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dQ-y4Xomdw

If you're more into the multiplayer side of things, Turin is probably your best bet.

EFB :argh:

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Is there a mod that forces vassals to stay committed to you even if you get DOW'd? Or gives you an option to not require them to fight for you but stay a vassal.

I'm trying to establish puppet Chaos-influenced kingdoms but they all go hostile as soon as I get war dec'd by someone else. Really annoying!

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Party elite is tedious and dull but good for beginners because he points out really obvious stuff and errs on the side of too much information.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gejnor posted:

See this is what i mean, they really just need more maps, more variety, and maybe some more depth to them, like a secondary layer of defenses on some maps (im personally thinking dwarfs here with their super defensive mentality).

That and being able to mount artillery on walls like in previous TW titles would help a lot!

Yeah the multi-tiered castles from Shogun 2 were pretty cool and it would be nice to see those come back. On the other hand the AI just did not know what to do on those maps so maybe that's why they dropped them.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Warhammers sieges are rear end, there's nothing more to it. A pointless exercise, completely bereft of depth. At the very least settlements need to be twice as deep with flank opportunities.

I'm positive they chunked off full size settlement defenses because CA just can't get the AI to work in sieges. I get it, it's gotta be hard to do and it's better to have truncated battles than broken ones.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
they stated openly that they reduced the scope of sieges at least partially for AI purposes.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Sieges can be better yes, but I actually enjoy them because of the blobbing and lack of strategic depth. It means I can relax on the tactical side and enjoy the tiny pewter men slow-mo spectacle.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah the multi-tiered castles from Shogun 2 were pretty cool and it would be nice to see those come back. On the other hand the AI just did not know what to do on those maps so maybe that's why they dropped them.

Ammanas posted:

Warhammers sieges are rear end, there's nothing more to it. A pointless exercise, completely bereft of depth. At the very least settlements need to be twice as deep with flank opportunities.

I'm positive they chunked off full size settlement defenses because CA just can't get the AI to work in sieges. I get it, it's gotta be hard to do and it's better to have truncated battles than broken ones.

I would propose something inbetween this, no need to expand the map a ton, nor open up flanking positions in most cases.

Just imagine that instead of Walls lost = you're toast (in most cases anyways) you can instead fall back to a second set of walls or defensive ramparts, theese would be where you have your arty and there are no wall towers as it'd be just too OP for the defenders side. For the AI this is where it could keep its reserve forces if on defensive which would make them keep their arty ready and useful during the entire siege, for the attacker AI it'd still be a pretty straight forward buisness of simply moving forward so it shouldn't create too many situations where the AI completely falters.

I realise that this would make it harder for the AI to win against a determined defender but honestly castle towns aren't supposed to be super easy peasy to lose, they are sort of supposed to maximise losses in any invader.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

PerilPastry posted:

I'm curious, do people actually like fighting siege battles?

Siege battles are by far the most fun type of battles. They seem to have taken a step down from RomeII/ShogunII siege battles in quite a few ways but they're still very satisfying and one of my biggest complaints about the game is how hesitant the AI is to attack a walled settlement when it doesnt have an absurdly overwhelming army, or attrition has reduced the defenders to nothing

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Gejnor posted:

I would propose something inbetween this, no need to expand the map a ton, nor open up flanking positions in most cases.

Just imagine that instead of Walls lost = you're toast (in most cases anyways) you can instead fall back to a second set of walls or defensive ramparts, theese would be where you have your arty and there are no wall towers as it'd be just too OP for the defenders side. For the AI this is where it could keep its reserve forces if on defensive which would make them keep their arty ready and useful during the entire siege, for the attacker AI it'd still be a pretty straight forward buisness of simply moving forward so it shouldn't create too many situations where the AI completely falters.

I realise that this would make it harder for the AI to win against a determined defender but honestly castle towns aren't supposed to be super easy peasy to lose, they are sort of supposed to maximise losses in any invader.

Isn't this how medieval 2 worked

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

albany academy posted:

Isn't this how medieval 2 worked

I think so, but as i recall it became very indepth in that game, and this would just be a slight extra bump to some maps.

Oh and i also hope for some official minor settlement battlemaps as well. The whole "hold the line with one unit of spears" wouldn't work anymore considering we have monsters, flying units, artillery.. the list goes on honestly.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The AI was hilariously useless in Medieval 2 sieges.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

You could pretty much hold any castle in med2 with like two units of archers and maybe some spearguys

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
I completely forgot how annoying agents could be in this game. As Chaos, not having settlements means all enemy agents beeline straight for your 1 or 2 armies to either assault or assassinate your troops (instead of annoying your settlements).

Without mods, my armies would probably be spending 10x rounds of downtime to either replenish or wait for your heroes/Lords to revive. I've had Sigvald get assassinated twice in a row which meant like 10 or so turns of being locked down and waiting.

If I could force enemy agents to embed into armies I would be sooooo happy.

theDOWmustflow fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 26, 2017

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Yeah same with Rome 1. The equivalent of that in this game would be setting two goblin spearmen behind a gate in a v and watching the whole enemy army run into them and die.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I lost a siege battle with VC with full garrison and a stack, against around, uh, five? six? Chaos stacks during my first end times thing and I was actually kind of shocked that I lost.

Like yeah they outnumbered me, had better units, and had plenty of siege tools, but... but I lost against the AI in siege defense in a total war game. It hosed me up a bit.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
I remember stopping the Mongol hordes dead in their tracks at Damascus, using a single unit of longbowmen, sharpened stakes and the fact that the AI always made a breach in the exact some position in every single siege battle.

2000 men and horses died on ~40 pointy sticks stuck in the ground.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
this is actually the best summation I got of the incompetence of early TW siege AI

mind you, the faction I was playing as didn't even get stone walls to begin with. just wooden palisades.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tiler Kiwi posted:

mind you, the faction I was playing as didn't even get stone walls to begin with. just wooden palisades.

I actually preferred wooden palisades to stone walls in some circumstances since there were no towers capable of shooting into the city that way. :v: And because siege tower size and power scaled with the walls you were attacking, those ridiculously huge Roman walls would end up being death-traps to be purged of all life by skyscrapper-sized mobile balista turrets. :v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Basic stone walls were the best in Rome 1 because they weren't high enough to gently caress over ranged infantry's firing arcs.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

my dad posted:

I actually preferred wooden palisades to stone walls in some circumstances since there were no towers capable of shooting into the city that way. :v: And because siege tower size and power scaled with the walls you were attacking, those ridiculously huge Roman walls would end up being death-traps to be purged of all life by skyscrapper-sized mobile balista turrets. :v:

holy poo poo i remember those things, yeah gently caress the giant walls just sucked.

they were so ridiculously tall, too. bigger than the ones in warhammer, even. you couldn't even orient your camera to look at them very well they were so honking huge.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Do we have any idea how the Bret DLC will affect campaigns in progress?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

they're about to get way more chivalrous

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Innerguard posted:

Do we have any idea how the Bret DLC will affect campaigns in progress?

The general rule is you have to start a new campaign to see new content, but any balance changes should still take effect in your existing campaign.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

Tiler Kiwi posted:

holy poo poo i remember those things, yeah gently caress the giant walls just sucked.

they were so ridiculously tall, too. bigger than the ones in warhammer, even. you couldn't even orient your camera to look at them very well they were so honking huge.

Erm what? There was a siege tower version that had a ballista on top?

I must not have played the campaigns long enough to encounter sufficiently developed settlements that would give me that siege tower option.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

theDOWmustflow posted:

Erm what? There was a siege tower version that had a ballista on top?

I must not have played the campaigns long enough to encounter sufficiently developed settlements that would give me that siege tower option.

They didn't just have a balista on top, nooo, that would be too simple. They fired balista bolts at a ridiculously rapid pace from the perfect height to just vaporize infantry on walls. If you could get them to make diagonal shots, they'd shish-kebab half a dozen guys per shot, and they shot twice a second or so. And all they cost to make was time. Even a unit of peasants could use them.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

my dad posted:

They didn't just have a balista on top, nooo, that would be too simple. They fired balista bolts at a ridiculously rapid pace from the perfect height to just vaporize infantry on walls. If you could get them to make diagonal shots, they'd shish-kebab half a dozen guys per shot, and they shot twice a second or so. And all they cost to make was time. Even a unit of peasants could use them.

That is :black101: as gently caress. This is the first TW game I've tried, but the older sound equally amazing and frustrating to play.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I dont know posted:

That is :black101: as gently caress. This is the first TW game I've tried, but the older sound equally amazing and frustrating to play.

If you do try out one of the older games, I'd say go with Shogun 2/FOTS--though know that its siege gameplay is considerably different from any other game in the series.

Medieval 2 may be a favourite, but I tried playing it again last year and gave up because it just has too many frustrating and repetitive elements to it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

I dont know posted:

Try the original Rome Total War at least a little bit. The implementation of phalanxes is something that has to be seen to be believed.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mordja posted:

If you do try out one of the older games, I'd say go with Shogun 2/FOTS--though know that its siege gameplay is considerably different from any other game in the series.

Medieval 2 may be a favourite, but I tried playing it again last year and gave up because it just has too many frustrating and repetitive elements to it.

Same, I think Napoleon and Empire are the oldest I can go back to. So many quality of life stuff I got used to since Medieval 2 that it and Rome have pretty much become unplayable, which is a shame because the M2 mod scene is still absolutely insane.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I honestly don't remember how they (phalanxes) worked. I always seemed to expand north so there wasn't a ton of fighting Greeks for me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ZearothK posted:

Same, I think Napoleon and Empire are the oldest I can go back to. So many quality of life stuff I got used to since Medieval 2 that it and Rome have pretty much become unplayable, which is a shame because the M2 mod scene is still absolutely insane.

Shogun 2 was my intro to the series, and still my favorite. Nothing like going Christian and running over Japan with all the money and guns. Honor is for chumps.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
I think there's still a lot to be said for the choice to use provinces instead of an open map in Shogun/Medieval I, although they're very old games and show it

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Cythereal posted:

The two people I can recommend are:

Turin: Makes really good introductory videos that aren't too long and give you enough information on how the game works.

Heir of Carthage: Really chill guy with a good voice and commentary style.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Pendent posted:

I honestly don't remember how they (phalanxes) worked.

basically, they didn't

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

basically, they didn't

Slightly more detailed answer: the absolute, most garbage phalanxes in the game were virtually unbeatable if attacked from the front. Infantry, even stuff like high tier legions, could never get through the pikes/spears to actually be close enough for the attack animations. High-tier cav could maybe, maybe use their mass to break through but would take horrific casualties.

And of course the AI would always charge the front. I have fond memories of playing the Seleucids and repeatedly holding Hatra (garbage town without walls) against Armenian and Parthian full stacks with cataphracts and horse archers by just stacking like six militia hoplites on top of each other on the main road to the town square.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I don't think I could go back to playing any of the other Total War games at this point because I've gotten spoiled on the cinematic battles that remind me of the incredibly over the top LotR/Hobbit battle scenes where swarms of infantry are fighting against monsters and wizards are shooting fireballs and flying monsters are divebombing knots of soldiers sending them flying like kicking a bunch of legos into the air and the idea of just spearmans vs spearmans vs horsemans vs horsemans sounds so BORING in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Shogun 2 is, at the least, the best of the historical games. I've yet to decide whether TWW is better.

• Locked thread