Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Ancona chickens are lovely, great choice!

I have another fall broody. This is one of the adorable naked necks that I brooded myself this spring. She laid eggs for about 5 weeks and decided she wants to be a mom. Since we will already have fall chicks, she got some eggs today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Joburg posted:

I have another fall broody. This is one of the adorable naked necks that I brooded myself this spring. She laid eggs for about 5 weeks and decided she wants to be a mom. Since we will already have fall chicks, she got some eggs today.

look at that calm focus

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

an egg posted:

look at that calm focus

100% in the zone (rage held in control by a whisker).

Molly is still with us, enjoying quiet Molly time.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

spookygonk posted:

Molly is still with us, enjoying quiet Molly time.

sweet darling :qq: it looks like she knows how rare it is for a chicken to receive such devoted end-of-life care and is enjoying every moment with you.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
So with quail, is the peep-peep-peep-peep noise a happy quail noise or a scared/sus quail noise? I've been trying to Google it but just finding details on quail from different continents.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Molly had a comfortable day today. The sunlight was making her feathers shine.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

molly is divine

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Molly is so beautiful!

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Came home from a weekend away and the flock gave me massive side eye for bringing the evil puppy home

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Serious side eye.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Mustache Ride posted:

bringing the evil puppy home
A terrible betrayal.

Molly is beautiful in the sunshine.

I’ve had a very eventful week+. After Clarence’s sickness and exit, I found Blanche sneeze/coughing with slightly puffy skin around her eyes, cue panic. I took her to the avian vet and they sent blood off for testing and sent her home with an antibiotic. She has improved but there’s no test results yet.

I found a round worm in some poop :siren: I stupidly forgot to deworm the new-to-me Naked Necks before I added them to the group. A day after that, I found the little black NN rooster on the ground unable to walk. I couldn’t find anything structurally wrong but he did not improve. That bunch are the only ones without even late vaccinations for Mareks in the flock, so that was in my mind all day. I euthanized him and necropsied to find no lesions but he was chock full of round worms. :cry: Absolutely my fault. We treated the our flock so fingers crossed that’s resolved.

Then I caught broody Claudia Duck carrying around an egg shell! It turned out to be hers and I found the almost fully formed beautiful duckling on the ground. This has happened more than once before but I had no idea who did it. We gave the 2 remaining eggs to Ivy Duck and culled Claudia. :(

The bright light has been Marge and her chicks, and Pepper Duck’s ducklings. They are growing like weeds.! (Yes, she always makes sure the fence is between me and her babies.)

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Finally got a picture of them all together.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Joburg posted:

Then I caught broody Claudia Duck carrying around an egg shell! It turned out to be hers and I found the almost fully formed beautiful duckling on the ground. This has happened more than once before but I had no idea who did it. We gave the 2 remaining eggs to Ivy Duck and culled Claudia. :(

Just out of curiosity, what about this necessitated culling Claudia if she passed the egg out?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just out of curiosity, what about this necessitated culling Claudia if she passed the egg out?

If I'm reading right she ate the eggshell and killed the unborn duckling inside.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Organza Quiz is right. Claudia has been brooding and the egg was almost fully incubated. She pulled the duckling embryo out of the egg for some reason. This was the third time I had found an almost ready-to-hatch duckling pulled out of its egg. After looking at my records there were clues that she was the culprit every time.

I have no idea why she would do that. The egg looked fine except for the opening damage, the duckling embryos looked absolutely perfect and ready to hatch any day now. It should have hatched tomorrow or Wednesday. Since Ivy Duck is also on eggs from the same shipment it made sense to give the eggs to her and not risk Claudia killing any more embryos.

If it had been a one-time thing she would have the benefit of the doubt but this was repeated behavior.

Joburg fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 17, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ahh, gotcha. I thought it was inferring a physical issue rather than "Homicidal Duck Mom" :stare:

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

rest in peace, bad duck mother

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

This morning at 08:12, Molly passed peacefully away surrounded by her flock and keepers.

She'd been a retired garden hen for 8 years, 5 months and 2 days and was the most single minded chicken there ever could be. With her previous time in the battery cage, Molly was just under 10 years old.

Lady Molly Dashwell 2014 - 2022

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Rest peacefully, Molly, you've earned it. :glomp:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Roost in Peace, Molly.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Roost in peace, Lady Molly :sympathy:

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Roost in peace, Molly.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
world lost something special :(

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'll really miss seeing all of her lovely photos. It was so sweet seeing her so relaxed in your arms these past weeks.

Rest well, Molly!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
A hen going from a battery cage to peacefully dying in a garden is something special. Molly isn't alive, but she lived.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Molly was a beautiful girl and you did a good thing spoiling her so much in the last part of her life.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Roost in Peace Molly, you were a lovely hen :love:

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

thank you for sharing molly with us and thank you for giving her such a wonderful life :h:

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

my cat is norris posted:

I'll really miss seeing all of her lovely photos. It was so sweet seeing her so relaxed in your arms these past weeks.

Rest well, Molly!

ChaseSP posted:

Molly was a beautiful girl and you did a good thing spoiling her so much in the last part of her life.

an egg posted:

thank you for sharing molly with us and thank you for giving her such a wonderful life :h:

City of Glompton posted:

Roost in Peace Molly, you were a lovely hen :love:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Roost in Peace, beautiful hen. Thanks for sharing her lovely story and personality with us.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Ivy Duck hatched 1 duckling. So far she has not been able to protect it from Pepper Duck (bully) and her five ducklings (also bullies), so Ivy has one of the duck houses to herself for the night.

Pepper & kids plus the random chickens that roost there will have to find other quarters for the evening. I’m sure that will go smoothly.

-Cue Benny Hill theme-

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
are quails allowed in this thread? i would very much like to show you all house and wilson, who moved into my bedroom today.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

w4ddl3d33 posted:

are quails allowed in this thread? i would very much like to show you all house and wilson, who moved into my bedroom today.

:justpost:

Let's see them quail!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

w4ddl3d33 posted:

you have no idea just how welcome they are

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I feel bad for my chicks, the brooder is getting cramped at 9 weeks. Sorry chicks, building a coop is complicated! We're hurrying!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

my cat is norris posted:

you have no idea just how welcome they are

:justpost:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
20 quail eggs entered lockdown, so hopefully we will have some friends for Tammy hatching soon. Never done this before (always bought chicks or the chickens brooded the eggs) so this is very exciting!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

I feel bad for my chicks, the brooder is getting cramped at 9 weeks. Sorry chicks, building a coop is complicated! We're hurrying!

Problem solved! I went inside to check on the baby and my chicks all ran away. :(

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

PerniciousKnid posted:

Problem solved! I went inside to check on the baby and my chicks all ran away. :(

Fingers crossed they turn up soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Joburg posted:

Fingers crossed they turn up soon.

I found them! They were all tucked under the deck somewhere I couldn't see them until the fourth examination. Phew! What little bastards.

Only registered members can see post attachments!