Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Popete posted:

What do I do with sage? I have some dried sage but I'm not sure how to use it, it's fairly strong herbal flavor and It tends to have hard almost twigs in it so I'm thinking it needs to be cooked with a meal.

Sausage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

What do I do with sage? I have some dried sage but I'm not sure how to use it, it's fairly strong herbal flavor and It tends to have hard almost twigs in it so I'm thinking it needs to be cooked with a meal.

I thought it was good for meat, I figured it would go well on a roast or something! I am pescetarian so just delicious seafood for me. Any other ideas?

Popete fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 30, 2013

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Popete posted:

I knew it was for meat, I figured it would go well on a roast or something! I am pescetarian so just delicious seafood for me. Any other ideas?

Sage works really well in a pork loin brine, but I don't know if you can really brine fish well. Maybe you can try using it when poaching a salmon.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Popete posted:

I thought it was good for meat, I figured it would go well on a roast or something! I am pescetarian so just delicious seafood for me. Any other ideas?

http://www.yummly.com/recipes/lemon-sage-fish

Looks like lemon and sage go well with fish!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that looks to be the ticket, I'll give it a go next time I'm at the store. Thanks!

Electron Voltaire
Oct 27, 2010

Popete posted:

Yeah that looks to be the ticket, I'll give it a go next time I'm at the store. Thanks!

I like sage with butternut squash or pumpkin too. Also I like to make this thing: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/summer-squash-gratin-recipe.html with sage instead of oregano. Normally that is fresh sage but you might be able to do something similar with dried? Sage is great in stuffing too (like for Thanksgiving). Basically a really nice herb for autumn-type flavors.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It's fantastic to fry whole sage leaves and top risotto with them.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's fantastic to fry whole sage leaves and top risotto with them.

Fried sage owns on p much everything. Great on a pizza bianca, with gnocchi...

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
I like sage infused butter on things, you get the flavor without having to deal whole pieces of the plant.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

Fried sage owns on p much everything. Great on a pizza bianca, with gnocchi...

True, true.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Electron Voltaire posted:

I like sage with butternut squash or pumpkin too. Also I like to make this thing: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/summer-squash-gratin-recipe.html with sage instead of oregano. Normally that is fresh sage but you might be able to do something similar with dried? Sage is great in stuffing too (like for Thanksgiving). Basically a really nice herb for autumn-type flavors.

Seconding this. I once made a butternut squash with sage and paprika as a side dish. It was good enough that it's now an occasional entrée in my home; it hasn't been a side dish ever since.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
There's a vietnamese place near me that makes a pho with these super thick rice noodles. They're round in cross-section, and probably a quarter inch or greater in diameter. They're like gummy worms!

Where the hell can I find these, and what are they called? I'd love to be able to cook them at home. I asked the vietnamese place if I could buy some dry but they turned me down.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Local place here will put udon noodles in their pho if you ask for it.

Is that what you're thinking of?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Local place here will put udon noodles in their pho if you ask for it.

Is that what you're thinking of?

No, I don't think that's it. The noodles I'm looking for are clear and very chewy.

thebigpicture
Nov 14, 2007
Wide rice noodles?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Juice Box Hero posted:

There's a vietnamese place near me that makes a pho with these super thick rice noodles. They're round in cross-section, and probably a quarter inch or greater in diameter. They're like gummy worms!

Where the hell can I find these, and what are they called? I'd love to be able to cook them at home. I asked the vietnamese place if I could buy some dry but they turned me down.

Could they be banh canh?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

thebigpicture posted:

Wide rice noodles?

:( No, these are round.

Pookah posted:

Could they be banh canh?

Hey that looks like it! A cursory search yields no buy options. Guess one might have to make it onesself, maybe that's why they wouldn't sell it to me uncooked.

Thanks for the help!

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 30, 2013

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If I'm pan frying a pork tenderloin to really bring out the crust, how to I prevent the thin end from overcooking? I keep ending up with 170 degree dry ends and a beautiful moist 145 thick center. If I were baking it, I'd tuck the end under itself, but this doesn't seem to lend itself to a pan.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'd just cut it and cook it different amounts of time.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Assuming it's kept in the fridge in an airtight container, how long is goose fat good for? It's been, um, a while since I rendered it, but it smells fine.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

drgitlin posted:

Assuming it's kept in the fridge in an airtight container, how long is goose fat good for? It's been, um, a while since I rendered it, but it smells fine.

I've never used goose fat but I think you can pretty much always tell when a fat is starting to go bad by smell.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I remember a thread in GWS sometime where somebody used a vodka brush I think to get amazing pork crackling. Can anyone remember the thread or provide a link? If not but someone else has done similar does it have to be vodka? I tend not to keep any around since I never drink it

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Is there a difference taste/texture wise between microwaving whole potatoes versus boiling them? Thinking about making some fish cakes and I've always found boiling potatoes to take forever.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Boiling will draw out some of the starch.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

Juice Box Hero posted:

:( No, these are round.

Hey that looks like it! A cursory search yields no buy options. Guess one might have to make it onesself, maybe that's why they wouldn't sell it to me uncooked.

Thanks for the help!

Just FYI banh canh is not a type of pho, it's a separate soup. Pho is not a generic name for noodle soup, it is its own thing.

You can buy banh canh, you'll find them in the refrigerated section of Vietnamese markets.

It looks like this:

You'll find that brand with the blue print and also one in a red print that also uses tapioca starch. The red print ones are more chewy.

BothSides
Jul 14, 2010
I have a quick question about cinnamon buns!

I followed this recipe: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Cinnamon_Rolls_-_Don%27t_go_to_Cinnabon

They smell delicious and look pretty darn good for my first attempt!

For storing.. what should I be doing? Do I keep the icing separate or put it on and then store them? I'm assuming I store them in an airtight container? I am pretty new to this whole bread making and yeast baking stuff. Any tips would be appreciated! :)

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

mich posted:

Just FYI banh canh is not a type of pho, it's a separate soup. Pho is not a generic name for noodle soup, it is its own thing.

You can buy banh canh, you'll find them in the refrigerated section of Vietnamese markets.

It looks like this:

You'll find that brand with the blue print and also one in a red print that also uses tapioca starch. The red print ones are more chewy.

I'll have to go looking for a Vietnamese market and find a bag or two. Pardon my Vietnamese food ignorance, and thanks for the un-pho! :haw:

BothSides posted:

For storing.. what should I be doing? Do I keep the icing separate or put it on and then store them? I'm assuming I store them in an airtight container? I am pretty new to this whole bread making and yeast baking stuff. Any tips would be appreciated! :)

I've never had a good leftover cinnamon roll, but apparently you can freeze them after they're cooked. To reheat, try thawing overnight in the fridge and then throw it in a 350 degree preheated oven for 10 mins. Don't know what you'd do about the icing - probably leave it in the fridge and heat portions on low in the microwave before use.

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 30, 2013

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Scott Bakula posted:

I remember a thread in GWS sometime where somebody used a vodka brush I think to get amazing pork crackling. Can anyone remember the thread or provide a link? If not but someone else has done similar does it have to be vodka? I tend not to keep any around since I never drink it

It's in the Chinese thread. There are two siew yuk recipes, one of them is the vodka one. I've tried both and the vodka one is way superior, make it immediately because it kicks rear end.

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

Stupid question that belongs in this thread.

When grilling potatoes and onions in tinfoil on a gas grill for those buttery crispy chunks of potatos....how do you do it?
What do you set your heat to? Do you mix it half way through? How long do you cook yours?

I've been doing 20 mins, mix, 10 mins and done but feels like they're not very crispy. If I cook more if feels like they over cook and mush vs become crispy. How do I fix this and get less mushy grilled potatoes vs those awesome crispy sides ones.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Make a foil packet, oil/pam the inside, fill with potatoes, onions, (garlic) salt, fold it up, toss it on the grill on medium heat. Five minutes, flip, repeat four times (for a total of 20 minutes).

I'm not a big fan of butter since it makes everything soft and soggy. If I do put butter in, it goes in at the very end after I take everything off -- just a couple of dabs in the packet, let it sit, unwrap.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It is a sad day in my household because I managed to kill my sourdough starter. I don't want to talk about it.

So anyways I want a starter again. Sourdough owns. I had no idea what the gently caress I was doing when I started the starter and I had no idea what the gently caress I was doing for the couple of years I kept it alive. If my starter were a pet I would be one of those lovely pet owners that feeds the pet whenever I have table scraps or whatever, and the pet has to find its own place to sleep, sometimes I let it inside and sometimes I don't. And so on.

I think when I started my original starter I used Mark Bittman's recipe which is "add some yeast to flour and water and wait" and so on. Reading stuff online is a loving rabbit hole. Some people say to do vaguely what Bittman said to do, others say yeast is like the worst thing in the world, some people have extremely specific recipes with special fruit juices and filtered water that you MUST feed at THIS time on THIS day or it all dies, etc. Basically I still have no idea what the gently caress I am doing.

So:

Does anyone have any tips on making a sourdough starter?

Does anyone have any tips on keeping a sourdough starter alive? I mean I could just do my whole "abusive pet owner" thing again but I'd like to not be a sourdough idiot this time around.

Chances are I will start a thread documenting all this and get other people to go along so that we can all have simultaneous sourdough success or failure.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I've had this bookmarked for when I start eating gluten again: http://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/rye-sourdough-starter-in-easy-steps/

I'd also check in with the bread thread if you haven't already! There are some really accomplished bakers that frequent there.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I just came into possession of about a quarter to half a pound of fresh okra and have no clue what to do with it. No one in my family wants anything to do with it so what's something easy I can make with it?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Look up fried okra recipes for easy. Jambalaya is a bit more involved, gumbo is very involved but the best thing. It can also be pickled.

E: Can you make miso soup the day before? I know not to boil the miso, if you reheat it gently is it okay? I was planning to just make the soup part and then add the tofu and stuff when I reheat.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Aug 31, 2013

breaks
May 12, 2001

If you are making the dashi yourself you can do that ahead of time, but don't add the miso until you are going to serve it. Adding it doesn't take much time/effort anyway.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

breaks posted:

If you are making the dashi yourself you can do that ahead of time, but don't add the miso until you are going to serve it. Adding it doesn't take much time/effort anyway.

Yeah I decided to do just do it when I'm serving since it's quick. Juggling a multi course dinner on a two burner POS stove makes me try to precook everything, but I can deal with the miso since my dashi is already made.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

So my grill is broken and I really want to make some greek style chicken kebabs with tzatziki sauce. Can anyone recommend a recipe for the chicken that would work in a pan?

Pizza Dude
Feb 22, 2011
So my new roommate has a deep fryer. What are your favorite things to deep fry?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Pizza Dude posted:

So my new roommate has a deep fryer. What are your favorite things to deep fry?

Bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Does "deep frying" assume some sort of batter? Because I've had deep-fried plain bread and it wasn't pretty.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 31, 2013