Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

I would gladly import Macross Musou.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Does anyone have any experience with how the various Switch available musous run on the Switch Lite? Kind of tired of dealing with Koei PC ports every time I get the itch but I could see it being markedly better or markedly worse depending.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I've played Hyrule Warriors DE, FE Warriors, Pirate Warriors 3, and Warriors Orochi 4 on Switch and they all run fine.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
All Switches run the same, FWIW. There's no horsepower difference, only power usage.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I assumed the handheld mode of the games would probably run worse but maybe I was misunderstanding something. Thanks all!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I did a dumb thing and hopped into DW8XLCE, even though I beat it to death on the PS3, i forgot how fun and engaging it was to level up and find weapons and pull off combos and get body guards and build up your facilities in ambition mode...and before I knew it I played 6 hours in 2 sessions.

Goddamn it :negative:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Is there another warriors game that plays like Hyrule Warriors where the missions generally have a feel of a puzzle on how to take over a map?

I'm playing through DW7 and it's fun but most of the missions generally seem to focus on killing some of or a specific lieutenant on the map so there's not much strategy involved in it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Samurai Warriors series has more of that however by 4 they're so easy there's not really that level of strategy to them.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Yeah classic samurai warriors had some pretty neat stuff sometimes. I vaguely remember a level where you had to limit the advance of your own forces as if they reached a certain point they would perform a fire attack that would demoralize your own army and cause a bunch of them to defect.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Kin posted:

Is there another warriors game that plays like Hyrule Warriors where the missions generally have a feel of a puzzle on how to take over a map?

I'm playing through DW7 and it's fun but most of the missions generally seem to focus on killing some of or a specific lieutenant on the map so there's not much strategy involved in it.
If you've got a Switch (and considering you're talking about HW...), Fire Emblem Warriors is like that.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Commander Keene posted:

If you've got a Switch (and considering you're talking about HW...), Fire Emblem Warriors is like that.

Yeah, got fire emblem warriors. Dunno what it was about that game though but I found it a bit underwelming. It might just have been the bland characters and story.

Samurai warriors is a series I've not tried yet so I might give that a go.

There's 2 SW games on steam right now, each £40. Which one is better and are they worth the price?

Also do they have the same exp levelling system as other warriors games?

That's the other thing I'm kind of missing from DW7. It just feels a bit strange being able to give any character any weapon and not really have an exp based grind behind it.

edit: Just found Samurai Warriors 4 on PS4 for £20 so gonna give that a go first. The SW4-II and SAMURAI WARRIORS: Spirit of Sanada seem like spinoffs and maybe not the best place to jump into the series.

Am i right in thinking that the SW games are like the DW ones where they keep retelling the same overall story but with a new game engine/mechanics/modes, etc.

Kin fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 24, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011
They are, yeah. Sanada tells a very focused story from one major perspective and is, almost experimental for KT? and 4-II is more of a traditional "here's more campaigns/stories" expansion but without a lot of the stuff from base SW4. SW4 itself is the right choice here if you wanna get into SW and not do the earlier games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

4-II should have been an Extreme Legends add on for 4 but the Capcom lawsuit ruined those so it's a standalone thing

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Yeah SW4 is really good and i can see the clear Hyrule Warriors similarities.

Other than the lack of lock-on (which seems like a thing missing from the franchises) about the only thing that feels off is the movement speed. There isn't that little boost after a few seconds of moving from what i can tell.

How about the empires game? Is that just even more SW4 missions?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No need for movement speed when you can just repeatedly hit the hyper attack button and travel everywhere at 1000mph

Empires is the same characters and movesets attached to a fairly simplistic strategy game, its okay.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SW also has horses, I think HW only gave you the dash speed boost to compensate for having no mounts.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I hope SW5 removes hyper attacks and character switching.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
Is Dynasty Warriors Next for the Vita worth playing at all? I'm assuming it's not going to be great since it's a launch title but because of that it's pretty cheap and easy to find. I don't mind if there's stupid gimmicks since that's part of the charm of launch titles, seeing how they cram every feature of the hardware into every game no matter how unnecessary they are. Also all the other Warriors releases on the Vita are multi-platform so I've played them already on other consoles.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

pairofdimes posted:

Is Dynasty Warriors Next for the Vita worth playing at all? I'm assuming it's not going to be great since it's a launch title but because of that it's pretty cheap and easy to find. I don't mind if there's stupid gimmicks since that's part of the charm of launch titles, seeing how they cram every feature of the hardware into every game no matter how unnecessary they are. Also all the other Warriors releases on the Vita are multi-platform so I've played them already on other consoles.

Next is mooooostly portable 7 but it has a lot of dumb touchscreen stuff, the worst of which is the god awful horse race sections.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you want dumb gimmicks Next is the best you're gonna get

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
That's the kind of endorsement I was looking for so I'll give it a shot. It can't be worse than the first Dynasty Warriors on the PSP that had the segmented battlefields. Seeing how far those games came on the PSP was pretty impressive though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

pairofdimes posted:

That's the kind of endorsement I was looking for so I'll give it a shot. It can't be worse than the first Dynasty Warriors on the PSP that had the segmented battlefields. Seeing how far those games came on the PSP was pretty impressive though.

In retrospect I didn't mind DW Vol1/2 that much but stuff like WO2 PSP was definitely a lot better and impressive.

On the other hand my ex had DW Advance and hoo boy.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Anyone pick up any of the character packs for One Piece Warriors 4? They any good?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I just finished the story in Dynasty Warriors 7 for and sort of get the epicness of it now with the generational wars and such. Though the whole "everyone looks like a good guy" except for like two characters made things seem pretty weird as did the lack of any visible passage of time.

I take it that's basically the same in every DW game? It seems like it would be an easy thing to rectify with character skins or something.

Anyway, should i bother with the legend or conquest modes or is it basically just the same levels slightly remixed? The game was fun and all but the lack of any real strategy for a lot of the story levels kinda made it a bit tedious to play after a while. It definitely didn't have the same grindy hook as stuff like Hyrule Warriors.

I've got DW8 and all of the other Warriors games i picked up over Christmas to play so just wondering if it' just worth cracking on with the story mode for them instead of getting hung up on a lot of the additional game modes.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Character models stay the same regardless of how many years pass in "real time" yeah, I guess you could fix it with skins but I think they just don't care that much, especially since the game is pretty loose with how much time is "supposed" to pass. It's an action game so I can't fault them too much for mainly focusing on the battles and so just doing them one right after another skews the player's perception of how far apart the events were (the Battle of Chibi was almost 20 years after the campaign against Dong Zhou for instance).

I like Conquest Mode in 7 a lot, and it's not the same kind of levels as story mode at all. I'd say try a few levels in Conquest Mode to see what it's like; if it doesn't grab you after the tutorial stuff then I'd say just skip it.

DW8's story mode is better and worse in some ways imo than 7's. I don't think the story is as well told as 7's, but it does focus on some smaller battles that 7 kind of skips over, and on top of that there's two major changes from 7. One is that you get to choose from a set of officers before a level, rather than being forced to play as one character in particular. It's never more than four choices, but it'll be something like Cao Cao/Xiahou Dun/Xiahou Yuan and you get to pick which one you want to play as, rather than "You must be Xiahou Dun in this level" like 7 did. You also get different goals and missions depending on which character you choose. If you pick Zhang Liao, maybe the game has you sneak up on the enemy from the east to surprise them, whereas if you pick Xu Huang you rush the front lines to provide a distraction so that the surprise attack will succeed.

The second is that there's hidden secret objectives to complete in each stage (they're hidden until you beat that kingdom's story mode, and then the game will tell you what they are) and doing these hidden objectives will unlock extra levels sometimes, and the big thing is that each kingdom has two endings: the actual historical ending, and a "good" hypothetical ending that's unlocked by doing all the hidden objectives up until the route split. Not much of a spoiler but as an example Wei's route split is at Chibi. Doing things like making sure Guo Huai survives the battle where he's supposed to die will make him see through the alliance's fire attack, resulting in a Wei victory and the hypothetical route begins.

Anyway 8's story mode is definitely a lot meatier since you'll be redoing stages a couple of times to get the secret objectives, as well as going through two different ending routes (aside from Other, which is just a handful of unconnected stages just so they can say "they got a level"). So again, play a bit of Conquest Mode, decide if you like how it's set up, or if you'd rather just get to the new stuff in 8.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I really liked 8XL on the vita, although I've heard some complaints about it not spawning enough fodder enemies from people who played it on other platforms.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
DW9 actually had one character change over the course of the game. Liu Bei grew a mustache/goatee half way through.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think Masayuki Sanada got older after a certain point in spirit of sanada too (maybe yukimura as well? or maybe he just got a cape or something, i can't remember), though of course that game's a little bit of a special case since it's focused exclusively on two generations of a single clan.

And I could swear that at least one DW game i played had a two-eyed Xiahou Dun in the early levels of the game.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Pretty sure that was 7. He loses his eye in a cutscene. He may or may not have eaten it. I don't remember.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

PureRok posted:

He may or may not have eaten it. I don't remember.

I don't know how I forgot that but you're right, he definitely does, unless I'm mandela-effecting myself and thinking of some other piece of media about a warrior who loses an eye and eats it. I don't think that was 7 though (or at least not ONLY 7), because I feel like this memory is from when I was a teenager

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I miss dynasty warriors 5. My ps2 had 5 empires burned into its soul.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

PureRok posted:

DW9 actually had one character change over the course of the game. Liu Bei grew a mustache/goatee half way through.

Oh so they finally gave it back to him after taking it away in 6-8 eh? Man, some DW character designs from 2-5 look so weird after having so many games with the newer designs. I also kinda miss Sima Yi's Saturday morning cartoon villain voice.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I don't know how I forgot that but you're right, he definitely does, unless I'm mandela-effecting myself and thinking of some other piece of media about a warrior who loses an eye and eats it. I don't think that was 7 though (or at least not ONLY 7), because I feel like this memory is from when I was a teenager

In both 7 and 8, Xiahou Dun has a character model with no eyepatch, and one with an eyepatch, because he does lose his eye over the course of the story mode. It definitely happens in a cutscene in 7, and I think also maybe in 8 but if it does it's a lot less dramatic.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think Masayuki Sanada got older after a certain point in spirit of sanada too (maybe yukimura as well? or maybe he just got a cape or something, i can't remember), though of course that game's a little bit of a special case since it's focused exclusively on two generations of a single clan.

And I could swear that at least one DW game i played had a two-eyed Xiahou Dun in the early levels of the game.

Masayuki grows older, Yukimura goes from kid to young adult and then to adult. His moveset and overall design at the end is great and I wish it were the default moving forward.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

I miss dynasty warriors 5. My ps2 had 5 empires burned into its soul.

SO LET'S GO AND TAKE AN ENEMY BASE

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
And by god I did

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRoxMG2QYOk

That's a compilation of his various arrow'd in eye scenes. Never eats it. I guess Omega Force views it more icky than badass? With camera cuts it wouldn't be that hard to animate.

IIRC, in 7 and 8, when you play him immediately after he's still the two-eyed version and doesn't get the patch til next battle. Shouldn't have been much effort to, I dunno, have him pull off some cloth, show him off screen bandaging himself, then running off into battle like a lunatic?

DW1 though, he does eat it. And it comes with PS1 era blood.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Have they showed any gameplay from the new Persona Musou? Does it look any good?
I don't care about Persona but I've been itching for a new good Musou.

Sillipenda
May 22, 2007
This is from the JP version, but it looks like what I've heard about the game. Seems like it's outside of the demo so hopefully more respective of the full gameplay.

Unlike a typical warrior game, it has over world enemies that you engage to get into a small battle, like the RPG. It's just that instead of a turn based battle, you get a warriors beatem up. So seems like we shouldn't be expecting to go in being able to take out a map full of mooks and officers.

https://youtu.be/4xEhMcoXpCI

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, it seems to play more like a Yakuza game than a Warriors game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wooooow.
Okay, thanks for showing that to me, it completely killed whatever interest I had in the game. The original trailer made it look like a Musou game.

Man, I would kill somebody to get another Empires game at this point.