Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I haven't seen a dock issue on a dell with Windows 7 or above in forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
99% of the time 'dock' issues turn out to be a dodgy DisplayPort cable

axente
Aug 8, 2012

So all orders in the Netherlands of the xps 15 have been cancelled or delayed maybe even world wilde. Probably because of to early preproduction and missing parts.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

axente posted:

So all orders in the Netherlands of the xps 15 have been cancelled or delayed maybe even world wilde. Probably because of to early preproduction and missing parts.

The Lenovo/Dell workstation's have also been announced, but their sale delayed. I wonder if there's an issue with the Chipset/CPU/Other-integral-part.

axente
Aug 8, 2012

axente posted:

So all orders in the Netherlands of the xps 15 have been cancelled or delayed maybe even world wide. Probably because of to early preproduction and missing parts.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Bob Morales posted:

Apparently 20 years hasn't been enough time to have Microsoft figure that one out.

I hate getting a helpdesk ticket related to someone docking/undocking.

I've been assuming it's the Intel driver/software's fault :shrug:

ilkhan posted:

oh.
Well ours are all i7/256SSD/8GB specs.

We have a bunch running 2 external screens plus the built in and Ive basically never seen a dock ticket. So :shrug:.

I'd imagine you could get by with 8 gigs of RAM with an SSD because paging would be so much quicker, so that's probably adequate. Just try to remember the ones you were handing out four years ago - they're still out there :zombie:

People file tickets for this sort of thing? Maybe I'm too used to just working around stuff.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Munkeymon posted:

People file tickets for this sort of thing? Maybe I'm too used to just working around stuff.
People put in tickets for everything.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Every couple days, one of the 19 pre-installed THINKPAD apps Lenovo puts on their poo poo causes our T450's to go into slow-motion typing until you reboot them.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
One of the T440ps we have will sometimes refuse to boot until you pull the battery out, discharge, and plug it in without the battery. I think hibernate or that low power but not actually completely off shutdown-hibernate thing in windows 8.1 is breaking horribly.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I'm looking for a new laptop and wondering if I should really trust Lenovo after the superfish and bios tricks they pulled earlier this year. Something with an i5, IPS 1080 and a 960m. Quite a few companies have stuff like this around $1k but Lenovo has had some better deals on their website when I've looked.

edit: I bought a dell inspiron 15 for $799 off amazon. What sealed the deal was this included a 256gb ssd whereas most of them I had been looking at were still mechanical which would have upped the total cost to upgrade to ssd.

phosdex fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 28, 2015

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Started a NuGet operation an hour and a half ago and it's still happening. Death to mechanical drives :(

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Does anyone know if the ASUS is going to release a successor to the X205?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

axente posted:

It got delayed in Canada as well. :(

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah, there's rumours they're having significant QC issues with the 4K screens, and possibly the WLAN card also.

I contacted the MS Store a couple days ago about my XPS 15, asking if it was delayed and if so, when roughly I could expect it to be shipped. They said they'd have to look into it and I'd hear from them in 24-48 hours. Well this morning I got a response and oh boy, it's a good one:

"A Confused MS Store Rep posted:

Thank you for alerting us about your pre-order for Dell XPS 15 9550-4444SLV Core i7 512GB Signature Edition Laptop. My apology cause up until now, the tracking number for your order is not yet being created. We completely understand how you feel regarding this, and we know you're excited to get this product. We, here in Microsoft, is doing our best to make those items to be shipped as soon as possible to our valued customers like you. Contacting us for multiple time will only lead you to the same answer, which your "Order is in process". Just a heads up, that once you've been charged and you receive an email notification that has your tracking number, that's the time the product is ready to be shipped out. I know when you process your order it was supposed to be shipped on October 26, however, please be reminded that your order is in Expedited shipping method. This method of shipment will take 1-3 business days before the product to be delivered, so if in any case that you have not receive your product within the timeframe I provided, feel free to contact us back and provide these case number <removed>, this serves as your reference, and we will refund your shipping fee

They could have just said they had no idea when it was going to ship, instead of just copying and pasting a definition of what expedited shipping is. Which isn't what I asked about at all...

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Reddit is howling about the shortages of sky lake i7s for desktops. Wouldn't surprise me if the mobile ones had similar problems.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Boiled Water posted:

Reddit is howling about the shortages of sky lake i7s for desktops. Wouldn't surprise me if the mobile ones had similar problems.
At least my i5 arrived.

Also, the windows hello facial recognition is pretty awesome.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

They could have just said they had no idea when it was going to ship, instead of just copying and pasting a definition of what expedited shipping is. Which isn't what I asked about at all...

The tracking number for your order is not yet being created. We, here in Microsoft, is doing our best. Contacting us for multiple time.

Who every made the original document doesn't know english either.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The official server documentation for Battlefield 3 (made by Swedish company Dice) was written by a Norwegian programmer intern in English, and had some pretty interesting grammatical issues. Once you get down to the customer service level a functional english vocabulary is preferred but not required, written skills even less important.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Hadlock posted:

Dice

English

grammatical issues

Seamonster fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 30, 2015

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

spasticColon posted:

Does anyone know if the ASUS is going to release a successor to the X205?

They will. Asus E202SA.

https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/E202SA/

It looks like it's already released in some European countries.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Will a i5 Be significantly different from an i7 when it comes to graphics output without a dedicated graphics card? Of course I don't expect the moon but I will probably be playing low res games and civ V frequently enough for me to take it into consideration when choosing a new computer or Surface Pro 4.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
The Surface Pro 4's i7 has iris graphics so it's a bigger jump than the usual i5 -> i7. You should be fine with the i5 with Civ V and indies though.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
What do you you guys think of desktop processors in laptops? What kind of performance gap are you looking at between a 6820HK and a 6700 in things like digital audio workstation programs like Ableton Live and the like?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
If your ideal laptop has a desktop processor, get a desktop and a sane laptop for the same price instead. Apart from that, they should be similar clock-for-clock within each generation save for thermal throttling in badly cooled laptops.

Hyper-Urho-Kekkonen
Mar 21, 2009
Anyone have an opinion on System76/Zareason/other linux-specific laptop vendors? I've been using a T430 with an nvidia card for a few years, and since the card uses Optimus I've had lots of problems getting it to work reliably in linux. I'm looking to buy a new laptop in the near future and figured I might go with a linux-specific laptop, since hopefully the discrete graphics would work better. I've heard some bad reviews of System76, though, and I've been having trouble finding any reviews of zareason. Also since I have a desktop for serious gaming maybe it's silly to even try to get a laptop with a discrete gfx card. Although if I omit that, then I care a lot less about linux-specific vendors since my thinkpad's been perfectly fine running linux except for that one thing.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
The main reason not to go with System 76 is that they just use the sager/clevo models that you can order for cheaper anywhere else. Then you can just buy one with no OS and put your own preferred flavor of linux on there.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Finally got my shipping notice for my XPS 15 from the MS Store :woop:

They seem to have sent an invalid UPS tracking number but oh well...

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Enjoy!

I'll probably get a refurb from fleabay or something next year. Need to confirm that it doesn't throttle too badly under GPU + CPU loading.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
The new XPS 13 I ordered should be here either tomorrow or Wednesday. I'm pretty excited to get it, as the last laptop I had was from 2007. The single core performance should be slightly better than my current desktop (i7-950) which will be perfect for the kinda of work I expect to be doing on it.

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

"Now you know why they call me Dirty Harry: every dirty job that comes along."
My significant other loves the HP Stream 11, its perfect for her needs - ms office, facebook, web browsing, netflix etc. Unfortunately she is pretty clumsy and has bricked 2 of them due to water damage in 3 months.
With a budget of $800 or less, is it possible to get anything with any sort of ingress protection? Should I be looking at waterproof covers, or is there really no other option than "don't put liquids on the computer"?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

don't put liquids on the computer

Alternatively $800 towards classes in how not to treat your electronics like poo poo.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I am in the market for a new travel laptop. Right now I have a main laptop but I want one when I go on vacation where it's something I can use and not feel too horrible if it gets lost or stolen (as in none of my personal data and the laptop itself). It also will serve as a backup for my photos that I take in case my camera gets lost/stolen.

My main priorities are weight and thinness. Prefer 13 to 11. Hardest thing I'd expect it to do is playback 1080p video. Right now my "option" is to use my old Lenovo x120e. It plays HD video fine but cannot run Chrome very well, nor Windows 7. I don't really need it to run games but would be nice for it to play Starcraft: LOTV on medium settings or something when it comes out (assuming its the same engine as the previous Starcraft games). Also would be nice if I could dualboot into linux, so prefer not to buy a Chromebook (can you even play 1080p video off a Chromebook?)

I went to a Microsoft Store today to look at some laptops. It looks like a normal non-pro Surface 3 may be what I want. But how fast is the normal Intel Atom one? I'm guessing that can still play HD video? If it does the only real downside I see is that It also takes only microSD.

I also saw the XPS13. I really like the matte finish, but its also $799 which is a bit more than I'd want to pay (the screen is really nice though). Is there anything similar to size/feel of the XPS13 but older? The 2014 version doesn't seem to have a SD card, and has had problems with wake/sleep (that seems like a dealbreaker when I'm on vacation)?

Obviously I'm asking for everything except for "gaming" so maybe my demands aren't possible in a device under ~$500? I don't really need it immediately and can wait a couple of weeks to look at BF deals.

Edit 2: It looks like it'll be hard to hit everything unless I go with a Chromebook, so I guess my main question is how well does it playback 1080p video (does it play off disk?)

The Dirtiest Harry posted:

My significant other loves the HP Stream 11, its perfect for her needs - ms office, facebook, web browsing, netflix etc. Unfortunately she is pretty clumsy and has bricked 2 of them due to water damage in 3 months.
With a budget of $800 or less, is it possible to get anything with any sort of ingress protection? Should I be looking at waterproof covers, or is there really no other option than "don't put liquids on the computer"?
Get her a Surface 3 or 4? I mean it doesn't sound like this water damage is spilled water and more like she's somehow dunking it into the water?

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Nov 3, 2015

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Is she using them in the bath? I do that with my Kindle and sometimes my Chromebook, but with the understanding that I'm effectively holding $100 over a fire.

Anyway, you're not getting any liquid-proof laptops under $800, and I'd keep buying the cheapest thing she can get by with. Are you throwing away the old ones, or keeping them for parts? Could I have them? :gary:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Twerk from Home posted:

Is she using them in the bath? I do that with my Kindle

Put it in a freezer bag and it'll be fine and the plastic is thin enough that the screen will still be usable.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any good reviews for the Dell XPS 15" yet? I'm assuming the delay in shipping has pushed back all of the reviewers?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

obi_ant posted:

Any good reviews for the Dell XPS 15" yet? I'm assuming the delay in shipping has pushed back all of the reviewers?

No official reviews yet. First impressions from people dicking around with it on forums are that it's pretty good but the 4k screen lasts like 4 hours at full brightness. I haven't found anyone test the battery life on the FHD version with the 84 whr battery.

edit: Looks like someone does have the FHD version with the 84 whr battery. 7.5ish hours and 7% on the first charge. 7.5ish hours a day or two later and 35% left when just doing basic use (web browsing, youtube, videos, using word, etc) but no word on how bright they set the screen at.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 3, 2015

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

buy your girlfriend a sippy cup.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
What are some laptops with metal bodies besides Macs? I know about the X1 Carbon, and the Razer Blade.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Windfall posted:

What are some laptops with metal bodies besides Macs? I know about the X1 Carbon, and the Razer Blade.

The Surface 3 & 4 are all aluminum bodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Windfall posted:

Unibody or just metal?

Lots of stuff has metal panels, even my cheap 15" Asus monster. Doesn't mean the build is good.