Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I dunno about better but the timing's different. I think scimitars have less windup (monastery has none I guess). The delay with a shield helps my timing for whatever reason, I have a lot of trouble parrying with curved swords in PvP. You can also set-up parry with a shield which is kinda a big deal.
If it helps, Vageta, the guy who made the Dark Souls 1 parrying video, is doing testing on stuff right now. Monastery Scimitar is basically a 0f parry, and other curved swords are like ~2f for startup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

This is kinda dumb, but any tips for playing without a shield besides "dodge everything lmbo"? Perhaps a video playthrough of someone good going without one? I've been playing since DeS with shields as a crutch and I can't imagine finishing the games without one. :negative:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

VisAbsoluta posted:

This is kinda dumb, but any tips for playing without a shield besides "dodge everything lmbo"? Perhaps a video playthrough of someone going without one? I've been playing since DeS with shields as a crutch and I can't imagine finishing the games without one. :negative:

Range?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

There actually are at least five at once that you have to fight at one point! The biggest difference is that they have an actual attack now (pretty sure they just spat curse fog at you in DkS1).

Flame Weapon, Crystal Magic Weapon (and its lesser siblings), and Sunlight Blade don't scale at all. They just add a flat 50 damage of that element and a 30% damage buff to that element's damage.

Ah ok, I'll go for it then. One of the wikia's out there, fextralife, is saying that if you use flame weapon on the black dragon swords they start to resemble the furysword from DS1? Is there anything to that or is it just bullshit like it sounds? I loved that weapon.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

VisAbsoluta posted:

This is kinda dumb, but any tips for playing without a shield besides "dodge everything lmbo"? Perhaps a video playthrough of someone good going without one? I've been playing since DeS with shields as a crutch and I can't imagine finishing the games without one. :negative:

Yeah I'm having a lot of trouble adjusting to this dodge everything playstyle, I like hiding behind a massive shield.

e: I don't even know if its the effigy actually, I'm pretty sure it's worn off and I still haven't seen one single summon sign for anyone. I'm able to be summoned as I've been summoned multiple times by dropping my white soapstone.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

VisAbsoluta posted:

You could break everything forever by throwing lightning at it. But if you want to play melee with no shield then your only recourse is to get better at dodging. Not every attack requires you to roll away either, it's just a matter of timing. Start a new character and never use a shield, you'll get the hang of it in no time.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

VisAbsoluta posted:

dodge everything lmfao

No, for real. Learn the enemy's attacks, and dodge them. Fight from out of their reach, when possible, weather this means with an ultragreatsword or with throwing knifes or with lightning spears from the edge of their draw distance.
Personally, I prefer to dodge, but keep a shield around where I'm not sure I can dodge consistently or against a new enemy.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

RBA Starblade posted:

Ah ok, I'll go for it then. One of the wikia's out there, fextralife, is saying that if you use flame weapon on the black dragon swords they start to resemble the furysword from DS1? Is there anything to that or is it just bullshit like it sounds? I loved that weapon.
They're just saying the two look similar. There's no mechanical similarity besides them being flame swords.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Some of the early bosses you can easily circle around and dodge their attacks

but seriously learn to roll scrub

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Manatee Cannon posted:

You could break everything forever by throwing lightning at it. But if you want to play melee with no shield then your only recourse is to get better at dodging. Not every attack requires you to roll away either, it's just a matter of timing. Start a new character and never use a shield, you'll get the hang of it in no time.

Speaking of throwing lightning, how can I get my hands on some lightning throwing goodness? I started as a knight but I really wanna chuck lightning bolts. I just beat the the last giant

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

It's something pretty unique to gamers where somebody reads "I dislike this game" and in their mind it translates to "gently caress you and your mother if you like this game", but whatever.

Zaphod42 posted:

They're like the same game. The difference isn't the game, its you. You've played so much DS1 you're better now and so DS2 was easier. There's nothing they can do about that aside from making DS2 objectively harder and turn off lots of customers. If more DS wasn't enough, then I'm sorry, but you should have expected that from a game called "Dark Souls TWO"

70% of the bosses were humanoids in armour. And pretty much 90% of those Humanoids in armour had Left Swing, Right Swing, Big Wind Up Overhead Strike and 3-4 swing flail fest. You get used to the rhythm pretty drat quickly. It's less about mechanical difficulty and just about how drat predictable it all was.

Zaphod42 posted:

As to NPC names, the NPCs are the loving same so you can't say they're worse. Lucatiel is Solaire, with just as much backstory if not more. Benhart of Jugo is Sigmeyer. Pate and Creighton are like Petrus and Rhea, but again, more developed, not less. Gavlaan is cooler than Frampt. Carhillion has the exact same attitude as Big Hat, although admittedly less story. Oh wait except there's also Navlaan who is way cooler. Cromwell IS Oswald. Licia is Lautrec.

Exactly, they're the same. The fact that most people describe the characters by who they resemble in the first game is a signifier of just how two dimensional and nondescript they are. Not to mention bar one or two all the characters on Dark Souls one had stories that came to closure albiet usually dark and sad ends. But closure nonetheless. Whereas pretty much all the ones you find in Dark Souls 2 just go and hang around in Majula looking awkward and that's it. Such a waste.

When I got to the Shrine of Amana I was excited! An Open area finally. Except it wasn't really open because it was raised pathways surrounded by sheer drops full of water.

When I got to The Dragon Airie I was amazed, it looked so cool! Except I blinked and it was over.

As the review says Dark Souls 2 is a GOOD GAME and worth playing. But it reeks of a dev team that is

a) Too scared to do anything really new from what Miyazaki had already created
b) Too incompetent to avoid rookie mistakes that have kept the game clunky

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

VisAbsoluta posted:

Just roll a character and give it a go. A lot of it is simply just knowing attack patterns. Have you beaten the game? If so, you should have a pretty good handle on what attacks can be avoided, and which would need to be dodged.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bob NewSCART posted:

Speaking of throwing lightning, how can I get my hands on some lightning throwing goodness? I started as a knight but I really wanna chuck lightning bolts. I just beat the the last giant

After you kill the Dragonrider, there's a woman that sells Lightning Spear by the bonfire above him. There are more options to find it (I can cast Great Lightning Spear 50 times before running out, for example), but that's the first and easiest to reach. You need 22 faith to cast it though, keep that in mind.

fake edit: Dragonrider is in Heide's Tower of Flame, in the tunnel next to the hill with the Covenant of Champions in Majula.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
A bad DSouls game is still really good

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Sex Robot posted:

As the review says Dark Souls 2 is a GOOD GAME and worth playing. But it reeks of a dev team that is

b) Too incompetent to avoid rookie mistakes that have kept the game clunky

Tell us more about your game development experience, I'm :allears:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

VisAbsoluta posted:

well, I mean, it kinda is dodging everything. without a shield that's basically your only defensive option as a melee-focused character.

a good tip for dodging is to try to roll into attacks, rather than away, and to find the sweet spot in their animation (usually mid-swing) where you can take advantage of the invincibility frames when you roll. dodging is much less about position and more about timing.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
The weird almost-360° attacks that some enemies do really put a damper on shieldless play, I find. The dogs in the Gutter are pretty bad, as are the lurkers in Amana. The Old Knights in Heide's also have one attack that seems to reach almost behind their backs, but only one and any other that looks like it might hit you doesn't. That's the weirdest part about - I'm fine with giving big slow dudes an attack that reaches behind them to counter the "circle strafe, poke butt" strategy but it's often just a vertical slash that reaches farther than the animation suggests.

e: Also the turning-on-a-dime part of most enemies.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Small and Blue posted:

What the hell is up with all these random fight clubs on the iron keep bridge? I just want to fight dudes but 7 out of 10 times I get summoned into a fightclub where I have to wait for 5 minutes for 2 other reds to finish honordueling.

What you do is fake like you're queuing then backstab the host and run around laughing as the other phantoms rage.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

The weird almost-360° attacks that some enemies do really put a damper on shieldless play, I find. The dogs in the Gutter are pretty bad, as are the lurkers in Amana. The Old Knights in Heide's also have one attack that seems to reach almost behind their backs, but only one and any other that looks like it might hit you doesn't. That's the weirdest part about - I'm fine with giving big slow dudes an attack that reaches behind them to counter the "circle strafe, poke butt" strategy but it's often just a vertical slash that reaches farther than the animation suggests.

e: Also the turning-on-a-dime part of most enemies.

yeah, playing without a shield is still harder than playing with, for a few reasons. I never do either exclusively and just change it up based on encounter.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I don't think I've ever seen an IK fight club this playthrough, not even hosts with shadebros. Granted I'm a little overleveled and nearing end game

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Sex Robot posted:

It's something pretty unique to gamers where somebody reads "I dislike this game" and in their mind it translates to "gently caress you and your mother if you like this game", but whatever.

A lot of people like to phrase "I dislike this game" as some variant of "these are the problems the game has," phrase the statement strongly and definitely, and then can't understand why anyone takes exception to it. Not to say the game doesn't have flaws, or that no one's entitled to dislike it, but a significant amount of the arguments are starting with "I found some glaring flaws! Let me enlighten you all." Usually followed with something like "Bastille is boring!" or "Nobody wants this many armored guys!", things are, uh... mildly based in subjectivity, and are up for discussion if you don't immediately slam the door behind you. Most of these discussions aren't being started with the intent of being discussed.

Also, no, it's not a trait unique to gamers. If you tell a football fan Team A sucks because Team B did Football Better, he's going to get mad. If you tell a movie fan that Movie A lacks the Movie Thing that Movie B had, and you phrase it like he's already supposed to know this, he's going to perhaps take some offense to you talking down to him. Context goes a long way. For example...

Sex Robot posted:

Exactly, they're the same. The fact that most people describe the characters by who they resemble in the first game is a signifier of just how two dimensional and nondescript they are. Not to mention bar one or two all the characters on Dark Souls one had stories that came to closure albiet usually dark and sad ends. But closure nonetheless. Whereas pretty much all the ones you find in Dark Souls 2 just go and hang around in Majula looking awkward and that's it. Such a waste.

We then had a big discussion about how the characters aren't exactly like the DS1 ones though! We all disagreed on who was what parts, or what they represented, because opinions vary! A number of my friends describe characters in Dark Souls 1 by who they resemble in Demon Souls! Most people describe any type of Smough and Ornstein by who they resemble! That's a thing people do! I am not convinced by your argument, gently caress your mother etc.

Also, "pretty much all" the characters hanging out in Majula and having nothing going on is a bit disingenuous, especially given that no, not every one of the Dark Souls blacksmiths or shopkeeps or whatever got some long winded storyline and closure stop it. Some of the tying off plots do require you to follow through, but I don't think that bothers anybody.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think I've got nearly five hours of torch life in my game. Kinda a shame they're never relevant outside of the Gutter.

Torches are awesome in No Man's Wharf. They run!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

torches would be more relevant if there was some DYNAMIC LIGHTING :saddowns:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Magus42 posted:

except for the times they don't :negative: I never was able to figure out why they sometimes just don't care about my torch at all

Alan Smithee posted:

torches would be more relevant if there was some DYNAMIC LIGHTING :saddowns:

torches are like the one thing that gives off dynamic lights

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Cardboard Box posted:

except for the times they don't :negative: I never was able to figure out why they sometimes just don't care about my torch at all

I'll take 1 or 2 who ignore it over all of them who don't any day :D

e: does anyone else find themselves trying to light all the little sconces as they show up?

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Cardboard Box posted:

Sometimes they lose patience and get some courage. You'll know because they get all ragey and screamy for a couple seconds before they charge you and stop caring about your dumb little torch.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Torches also
  • Make the ground easier to see underwater in the Shrine of Amana if you're worried about pitfalls (they'll disturb the watermen though)
  • Make the invisible dudes slightly easier to see in the shaded forest
  • Light the pools on fire in black gulch if you roll through them (albeit it's much better to hit them with long range pyromancy so the dudes inside cook to death instead)
  • Just function as "make the game look prettier" device. Sconces stay lit permanently once you light them (well, up until you bonfire ascetic the area), and while there isn't dynamic lighting there definitely are dynamic shadows at least. Light all the sconces you can!

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Guys we had been ignoring Sex Robot the whole thread and you had to give him attention.

Just go back to filtering him out please.

Anyway got 152 wins as a Blue Cop, have a picture of the aura:

I'm sorry if any of you got caught in my bullshit the past few days, I'll move on to NG++ now.

On a side note WotG's cast time is incredibly awful, haven't used it on anyone yet to see the damage but hey at least they nerfed the speed and the number of times you can use it into the ground(until you make a faith caster build that can get around all that).

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

Torches also
  • Make the ground easier to see underwater in the Shrine of Amana if you're worried about pitfalls (they'll disturb the watermen though)
  • Light the pools on fire in black gulch if you roll through them (albeit it's much better to hit them with long range pyromancy so the dudes inside cook to death instead)
  • Just function as "make the game look prettier" device. Sconces stay lit permanently once you light them (well, up until you bonfire ascetic the area), and while there isn't dynamic lighting there definitely are dynamic shadows at least. Light all the sconces you can!
They also allow you to piss off the pale scrublord and his posse in the undead crypt. I'll produce light wherever I drat well please.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Torches also give you a built-in timer for the best challenge run ever.

Torch x Ladle: Mere Minutes to Win Its

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

VisAbsoluta posted:

I finished my first playthrough of the game entirely (well, almost entirely, I ended up killing the upper salamanders in the bottom part of the Cardinal Tower with poison arrows because gently caress them and their fireballs; also I haven't killed all of the optional bosses yet) with dual-wielded melee weapons. It's really not too hard-- there were a lot of times I wished I had better ranged options but I don't think I ever had a situation where I felt like I wanted a shield-- you just need a whole bunch of agility and a little bit of boldness. Fighting enemies in a Souls game always follows the same general pattern: you defend until the enemy does something that leaves them vulnerable, you hit as hard as you can without leaving yourself open, then you switch back to defense and the cycle repeats. Changing your main defensive verb from "block" to "roll" doesn't change that, it just demands slightly better timing.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 14, 2014

Nahrix
Mar 17, 2004

Can't afford to eat out
Fashion Souls: Praise the Blood!

http://i.imgur.com/LpI9ldy.jpg

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

Torches also

Eh, in Amana if you stay on the main path you'll never fall and in Shaded Woods if you just cling to the left wall you never encounter anything but Vengarl. Not really necessary there.

Magus42 posted:

I just used a lockstone as soon as I came across the face door in my first run of the area, never needed a torch there again at that point. I was confused as to what the point to it was until I came across the later spiderape buildings.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Actually something crucial about rolling gameplay that surprisingly no one's mentioned is crank up your agility stat to 100 one way or another. It raises through either attunement or adaptability, and the extra invincibility it gives you during rolls up to that point is extremely noticeable and useful.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Get like 100 agi and then you can dodge everything if you're quick enough because of invincibility frames. I noticed annoying poo poo was hitting me on a new character with less than 90 agility, like Lost Sinner's thrusting attack, which wasn't a problem on my character with much more agility.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Cowcaster posted:

Actually something crucial about rolling gameplay that surprisingly no one's mentioned is crank up your agility stat to 100 one way or another. It raises through either attunement or adaptability, and the amount of invincibility it gives you during rolls up to that point is extremely noticeable and useful.

Yeah, going from my first character with 110 AGI to new characters with hardly any adaptability really makes me appreciate how much of a difference agility makes. My main trick for most of the game was "roll through attack, backstab during recovery frames" and trying to do that on a character without agility means taking a lot of damage through rolls.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sex Robot posted:

Exactly, they're the same. The fact that most people describe the characters by who they resemble in the first game is a signifier of just how two dimensional and nondescript they are.

No. This is completely false and you're making stuff up. I've heard barely anyone describe characters based on who they resemble from the first game. Some people have drawn parallels between them, but nobody is a perfect copy. Plsu you realize there have been characters in every Souls game that resembled ones from the last? A bunch of Dark Souls characters could be considered copies of Demon's Souls ones by your standards.

quote:

This is perhaps the dumbest thing I've ever read in this thread. Yes, they are totally scared to try new things. That's why they;

-told a story via unconventional means that is very different from the stories of the last two Souls games
-Made major overhauls of a bunch of game mechanics

Yep, they are totally afraid to try new things :rolleyes:

VVV People are free to dislike whatever they want, I'm free to voice my opinion about it. Also why would they stray from the vision of the last two games when they are making another installment in the same series? That doesn't make any sense.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 14, 2014

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

Yep, they are totally afraid to try new things :rolleyes:

He means stray from the vision of the previous games, not afraid to try new things in general.

You're going to need to get used to the idea that people aren't going to like the game as much as you.

I like how my character came out, unfortunately pure melee is rear end in this game.

quote:

Yeah, going from my first character with 110 AGI to new characters with hardly any adaptability really makes me appreciate how much of a difference agility makes. My main trick for most of the game was "roll through attack, backstab during recovery frames" and trying to do that on a character without agility means taking a lot of damage through rolls.

This is tied with poise being useless as my most hated change. I started a Faith/Str character and the old rolling is just way too painful; combined with the sloppy design of the rest game I have really no desire to slog through everything again.

Night Blade fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 14, 2014

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Night Blade posted:

I like how my character came out, unfortunately pure melee is rear end in this game.

Pure melee is the only way to do the game proper, yo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Fat and Useless posted:

On a side note WotG's cast time is incredibly awful, haven't used it on anyone yet to see the damage but hey at least they nerfed the speed and the number of times you can use it into the ground(until you make a faith caster build that can get around all that).

On low SL it'll often oneshot and the animation is nearly identical to the healing miracles, so if you run away from a dude and then cast it they'll almost certainly run into it. Recovery time is short enough that you can roll out of most melee attacks that might punish you if they realise what you are doing and manage to roll through.