Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i don't know what that is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

St Evan Echoes posted:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

oh

gross

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

St Evan Echoes posted:

a nissan armada with a $20000 badge

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

holy poo poo that might just be the ugliest car ever

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spankmeister posted:

infinitis are awful in every way

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

St Evan Echoes posted:

literally no one does.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Infiniti, when you have nissan finances but want a luxury badge

no god drat it isnt the luxury hyundai its like a Lexus

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

which is funny cause hyundai has officially spun off genesis to be a luxobarge nameplate just like infiniti

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
there's only one good Infiniti and it's the g37

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

lol if you have a case on your phone

even a free case wasnt enough to get me to use one regularly lol if you use a screen protector too just learn to be not dumb with your $800 toy

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
make sure you buy a super padded one with a circular cutout on the back so people can see that you can, in fact, afford apple products.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

carry on then posted:

which is funny cause hyundai has officially spun off genesis to be a luxobarge nameplate just like infiniti

No that's Equus

Edit: sorry I guess I'm out of date

On November 4, 2015, Hyundai officially announced the Genesis brand will be spun off into Genesis Motors, the new luxury vehicle division for Hyundai.[6][7] The 2016 successor to the Hyundai Equus will be rebranded as Genesis G90[8] (EQ900 in Korea)[2]

Joe 30330 fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 14, 2017

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Millstone posted:

No that's Equus

not in the states

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesis_Motors

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

spankmeister posted:

it's not even the ugliest nissan vehicle. that convertible suv they made is actually worse. never mind that tiny cuv that was, on paper a cool idea if it wasn't raised up 6" to sell better.

basically nissan should fire their entire design department

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

spankmeister posted:

yeah that's challenging the PT Cruiser and the Fiat Multipla :eyepoop:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i like the Nissan Cube in a hosed up kinda way

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

eh it's still behind the pontiac aztek

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

carry on then posted:

eh it's still behind the pontiac aztek

2001: At the Los Angeles Auto Show, GM introduces the Pontiac Aztek to raucous laughter, then stunned silence, then blood curdling screams of horror

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

concept aztek was fine
actual aztek was on an old minivan platform that hosed up the proportions and built with peak gm accountant engineering

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

wtf is wrong with europe

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
apple courageously kills the headphone jack in future android devices

quote:

It all sounds pretty good, but the feature you're going to mourn the most is the headphone jack.

Nooo! Why would HTC cut that? The only thing good left about Android is that most of them still have headphone jacks, you say!

Well, we hate to break it to you, but HTC's already started its transition away from the headphone jack. The Bolt, released last November, was the company's first phone to nix the audio jack.

And Samsung's rumored to be killing the jack, too, on the Galaxy S8, this April. Motorola's already dumped it on its flagship Moto Z devices. Same goes for LeEco's phones.

With more phone makers axing the jack, it's time to come to terms with the fact that it's soon going to be a wireless, USB-C and Lighting-based headphone world. For smartphones, at least. The sooner you accept the headphone jack's death in phones, the sooner you'll be able to appreciate the upcoming crop.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

yeah rip

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The Management posted:

misread the last word as crap, sentence still made at least as much sense

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The Management posted:

HTC has started to transition away from the headphone jack, and also from phones and being a company that exists.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Welp, time to buy a Pixel phone and hold onto it for a few years.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmao if you dont get cochlear bluetooth speakers

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Blue Train posted:

wtf is wrong with europe

lmao I can only imagine not being in a market country for the Multipla and seeing it for the first time, its such a weird bugeye hosed up design; if someone imported it and drove past you you'd be like 'What the f did I just see.'

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Endless Mike posted:

basically nissan should fire their entire design department

their design department consists of a thirteen year old anime fan

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Mister Macys posted:

whose design research is done in a sneaker store

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

god I can see it now

Apr 7, 2003

The wording of that law makes it completely legal to run anyone over at any time as long as they're on a road (or you can convince a jury of that).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mister Macys posted:

nah if thye were anime fans all their cars would look like 1980s corollas. trap sprung

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Skyrine dorifto

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Powaqoatse posted:

lmao if you dont get cochlear bluetooth speakers

I always assumed this would be the first popular cyborg mod

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

nah if thye were anime fans all their cars would look like 1980s corollas. trap sprung

lol if you think they draw anything from the modern day

gundamobiles or go home, gaijin

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

find actually read any of this but lmao

bull3964 posted:

Ok. I've combed through all the recent cable/charger tests and I think I can summarize some stuff.

A-C Cables/Chargers

For the most part, it's hard not to be safe here. You may not be charging optimally, but it should be safe as long as you use a decent quality A charger and an A-C cable with the proper resistor in it. The main caveat to note is that if your cable has a high IR Drop, you may generate more heat and less charge than you could otherwise.

Some good options here around $10/cable.

Belkin A-C Cable. It's a USB 2.0 cable and it's USB-IF certified. 6ft length. F2CU032bt06-BLK
https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-USB-IF-Certified-Charge-Meters/dp/B00WJSPFOW/

Anker Powerline A-C Cable 3ft. It's USB 3.0 and very well constructed and comes with a nice carrying case. It does have a larger than average IR Drop so it's probably not the best choice to use with battery pack due to heat generation. There's also a 6ft version cable as well, but since the 3ft has a high IR drop, the 6ft is likely to be worse. A8168091
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Powerline-Durability-Including-ChromeBook/dp/B01GN0M6NE

Google and Apple both make a "better" A-C cable (USB 3.1 Gen 2), but they are both over $20 /cable. Since A-C is mostly going to be used for charging, it seems overkill. Everyone who buys a Pixel is going to get one of Google's anyways so if you really need it for high speed data transfer, you have one.

Chargers are pretty much any decent A charger. One thing to note is that there is evidence that proprietary charging methods (QC, Samsung rapid charge) have caused damage to eMarked cables. But most A-C cables aren't eMarked so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

C-C Cables

Early on it looked like the A-C cables were the only ones that we had to worry about, but reality was so much worse. C-C is just as much of a crap shoot due to the complexity of the cable. Since they do signaling and high power at the same time, isolation is key. USB-C can also be eMarked, but most manufacturers are botching the info that's stored in the chip. It should have a unique serial number and limit the capabilities of the cable, but sometimes the info is blank and or corrupt. Some cables have grounding issues which is a real problem when you can put as much as 100w of power through a cable. The result is that cables are not cheap and might never be cheap as A to Micro B cables. However, they should be higher quality and need to be replaced less often.

So, what's good?

Google OEM Cable that comes with the pixel and the pack in charger. However, I wouldn't buy the cable by itself as the price is too high relative to better options out there.

The current gold standard for charging is the Apple C-C cable, MLL82AM/A
It can do up to 100w. It has low IR Drop. It's well constructed. You can find it locally at any Apple store or Best Buy (BB is usually more expensive and you should price match.) They are $19 a piece and 6ft in length. Yes, $19 for a cable seems expensive, but that's par for the course with C right now. Downside is it's only USB 2.0, so not high speed data transfer.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQ5Z080/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Another option on the quality end is the Belkin F2CD082ds0.5MBK. It's expensive (mostly because it's technically a thunderbolt cable). It has the 2nd lowest IR drop of any cable tested so it's really effecient. It's also capable of 40gbps data transfer. However, since it's a thunderbolt cable, Intel requires it to be limited to 60watts of power delivery even though it's construction can clearly do 100w. Anyways, it's an extremely overbuilt 3ft cable for $30. So, it's not easy to recommend it due to the price, but you shouldn't have any issue using it.
http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F2CD082/

On the cheaper end of things, we have Anker. A8181011 It's a 3ft cable for less than $10. It's very thin which makes it nice and portable. It does have IR Drop on the upper end (which is why the A8182011 6ft version may not be a great choice). It's a USB 2.0 cable so slower data speed. But hey, it's cheap and safe and functional.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A6G0CTQ

Another one worth mentioning is the j5Create JUCX01. Nathan K says this is the single best cable on the market for being 100w, USB 3.1 Gen 2, and the lowest IR drop recorded. It's around $25. The only thing that gives me pause about it is the fact that its sister cable JUCX03 that's sold at Best Buy is completely unsafe and equipment damaging. So, I'm wary about the JUCX01 maintaining the same level of quality as reviewed.
https://www.amazon.com/USB-Type-C-Coaxial-Cable-JUCX01

C Charging from an outlet

Buy a spare Pixel OEM charger.

What, you were expecting more? Fine, there are a HANDFUL of other viable options, but none are as good a value as the Pixel OEM charger.

The MonoPrice Obsidian Charger.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GSLXMWW
It's compliant and comes with two USB A ports as well (but it's 2.4A total for those other two ports, not each.) No 18w charging. Might be a decent travel charger due to fordable prongs and ability to charge legacy devices.

Anker Powerport 5 port charger. The C port does 5v/3a 9v/3a 15v/3a 20v/2.25a so it can charge even higher power devices.
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Type-C-Delivery-Charger-PowerPort/dp/B01D8C6ULO

Verizon TYPECPDQC3TVL. Versatile charger that does both USB-PD (including 9v and 12v) and QC 3.0. However, it comes with a VERY BAD cable. I would recommend using it with the above cheaper Anker cable option since it is also a QC charger and could possibly damage the eMarker in the more expensive cables.
https://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/verizon-usb-type-c-wall-charger-with-fast-charge-technology/

C Car Chargers
There's nothing worth mentioning here. Nearly everything out there is either outright dangerous or glitches in a way that prevents the Pixel from charging at 3A.

There appear to be two chargers that CAN do 3A with the Pixel. The TYPECPDQC3VPC is a Verizon charger that also includes QC 3.0, but it has borderline bad overvoltage compensation and can be glitchy in a few ways. The other is the B01LYCC432 from Tronsmart which is standard compliant and electrically safe, but there's been numerous reports of the plug shorting out and melting.

So, basically, use your old A charger with the Belkin A-C cables above and call it a day until the industry gets their poo poo together. Oh, and if you have the 27watt Belkin charger, stop using it immediately sign up for the exchange program.

Batteries
Use a good battery with USB A and use the Belkin A-C cable.

Other Stuff
Belkin makes a USB-IF certified C- Micro USB cable that can be useful for charging legacy microUSB devices with a C charger.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010NCWY62/

There are also numerous options for MicroUSB to C adapters and they should be similarly safe as A-C cables if they have the proper resistor.

On the subject of USB-IF, certification can be good if you are working with a known good manufacturer. The problem comes in that there's very little enforcement for both counterfeit claims of certification and testing with real world samples. There's been many USB-IF certified cables that have come back as bad, likely due to the fact that the manufacturer submits a 'golden sample' for testing and then puts an inferior part on the shelves. USB-IF doesn't buy and test cables you can buy in the stores, so that stuff doesn't get caught.

Currently USB-IF does not certify chargers. That's coming. However, I would assume the same caveats would apply there as with cables.

Apr 7, 2003

Jesus

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

i thought the point of a single standard was to simplify this bullshit, not increase balkanization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Mister Macys posted:

i thought the point of a single standard was to simplify this bullshit, not increase balkanization

Turns out that nerds are stupid as gently caress

• Locked thread