Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ReindeerF posted:

It's not worse than Dickey's. I genuinely cannot figure out what the impetus was behind Dickey's, but serving up pot roast with sauce is just not going to work in Texas even with all the Yankee transplants who don't know what the gently caress about anything.

Bill Miller's is pretty goddamn bad, though. I can't think of a worse chain place to compare it to, but Brisket Bar-B-Q in Bellaire in Houston is probably the single worst place that has actually been around for many many decades that I know of. And it's on par with Dickey's.

A man would have to put his soul at hazard. He'd have to say, okay, I'll eat part of this turd.

I'm going to laugh endlessly if the new Performative Texas Conservatism thing is eating poo poo bbq. Like, eating food to own the gays is stupid at the best of times but at least Chik-Fil-A tastes good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

corn in the bible posted:

I'm going to laugh endlessly if the new Performative Texas Conservatism thing is eating poo poo bbq. Like, eating food to own the gays is stupid at the best of times but at least Chik-Fil-A tastes good

Chik Fil A is super expensive when you can get the same or better from Popeyes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1158950196560171014

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I really wish I didn't have a structural engineer coming to look at my tornado damaged workshop today because I would love to be in El Paso for this.

Beto needs to announce that's he has decided that he can best serve his home City and home state I coming home and running for the Senate to pass meaningful legislation.

I don't expect it, and I'm not an enormous fan of the guy, but if you did I've got lots of time to volunteer.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/gburton/status/1159086215737425921

Trump will tweet that the city of El Paso (who he owes half a million dollars to for security/services during his rally there this year) is ungrateful and should be given back to Mexico or something

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

He claims the sauce is the best part of Texas BBQ, I thought we already knew he doesn't get it.

saintonan posted:

Chik Fil A is super expensive when you can get the same or better from Popeyes.

Popeyes recently introduced a Spicy Chicken Sandwich. It's a better more ethical alternative to Chik Fil A. Everyone should know about it.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 7, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sigh, how is Chik Fil A unethical

Go look up the founder of Popeyes, btw.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
In fairness to Abbot, a tree did quite literally fall on his head.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think this is the equivalent of the Trump diner voter articles but for East Coast liberals

https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/1158913653925715970

(j/k the Trump diner voter articles are also for EC liberals to shake their heads in disbelief and scoff)

e: lol

quote:

Gilberto Hinojosa, the chairman of the Texas Democratic Party, said Democrats would be wise to remember that many of the recent defectors to the party here are moderates.

“A lot of people in this state who vote for Democrats now didn’t used to vote for Democrats,” Mr. Hinojosa said. “I just don’t want us to mess this thing up.”

The Democrats!

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 7, 2019

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

zoux posted:

Sigh, how is Chik Fil A unethical

Go look up the founder of Popeyes, btw.

Wikipedia:

Copeland had a very public feud with horror novelist Anne Rice in 1997 regarding Copeland's opening of a restaurant in a previously run-down area of New Orleans. Rice placed a full page ad in the February 7 New Orleans Times-Picayune newspaper, calling the restaurant "hideous", "a monstrosity", and "nothing short of an abomination".[15]

Copeland's third marriage ended with significant controversy. The third divorce's original presiding judge, Ronald Bodenheimer, pleaded guilty to promising a custody deal favorable to Copeland in return for a possible seafood contract and other benefits.[16] Copeland contributed to the Bodenheimer campaign, and, according to Bodenheimer testimony, had personally contacted Bodenheimer regarding the custody matter.[17] Bodenheimer stated that he had been summoned to a home owned by a Copeland business and stated that Copeland told him, "We supported you because you were the kind of guy who would do the right thing. And the right thing is to keep me and Alex together."[17] At the time of his testimony, Bodenheimer was the subject of a significant federal probe. Two Copeland associates, as well as Bodenheimer, went to jail for participating in the conspiracy. Other than the Bodenheimer testimony, Copeland was never personally accused of participating.

Yeah rich people are assholes, story at 10 movie at 11.

I mean then again Chick-fil-A is openly bigoted donates huge amounts of money to anti-gay anti-lgbtq+ groups and publicly funds legislation to allow employers to discriminate on the basis of sexuality for religious reasons.

so yeah I don't buy their fuckin chicken cuz I don't want to eat or financially support bigotry.
Voting with my dollar is effective protest under capitalism.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bird cooch posted:

I mean then again Chick-fil-A is openly bigoted donates huge amounts of money to anti-gay anti-lgbtq+ groups and publicly funds legislation to allow employers to discriminate on the basis of sexuality for religious reasons.

None of this is true. You can be forgiven for thinking it is because both R's and D's are pretending like this is the case because these kinds of facile political symbols are the only way to engage American voters, but there's no basis in fact.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 7, 2019

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

zoux posted:

None of this is true. You can be forgiven for thinking it is because both R's and D's are pretending like this is the case because these kinds of facile political symbols are the only way to engage American voters, but there's no basis in fact.

I guess it depends on how you define "openly bigoted," but they donated 1.6 million dollars in 2017 to the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. Here's a line from their Faith statement, "We believe God’s design for sexual intimacy is to be expressed only within the context of marriage. God instituted marriage between one man and one woman as the foundation of the family and the basic structure of human society. For this reason, we believe that marriage is exclusively the union of one man and one woman. (Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:5-6; Mark 10:6-9; Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9)." There's other stuff online saying they forbid their employees from engaging in homosexual acts, etc.

Not exactly an inclusive organization. If you don't want your money going to them and organizations like them, then not buying chicken from Chick-Fil-A seems like a reasonable choice, no?

By comparison Popeyes has a bunch of inclusivity/diversity stuff that's easy to find on their website, I couldn't really find anything for Chick-Fil-A.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Good luck shopping in the state of Texas at businesses that don't donate to FCA or the Salvation Army I guess.

Also, that's every single major religion's take on same sex marriage so you have to ensure that none of these businesses work with Catholic or Christian charities as well.

This whole Chick Fil A thing last session was pushed, from seed to signing, by politicians leveraging it to fire up their base.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

zoux posted:

Wierd.

quote:

The Texas state legislature recently passed what’s been dubbed the “Save Chick-fil-A” bill. The bill, introduced in response to the San Antonio City Council’s decision to remove a proposed Chick-fil-A location from its airport concession agreement, forbids government entities from taking “adverse actions” against businesses because of those businesses’ “religious beliefs and moral convictions, including beliefs and convictions regarding marriage.”

The bill’s supporters say it’s a way of protecting businesses’ First Amendment rights — but opponents say it could give private businesses legal sanction for discriminating against LGBTQ customers or staff under the guise of free speech.

Chick-fil-A’s charitable foundation kept donating to anti-LGBTQ groups
“While I’m sure the intent of this individual bill is to protect individual freedoms, in reality it would provide a segue for individuals looking to circumvent the rule of law in the name of religion,” state Rep. Julie Johnson reportedly said during the House’s debate on the bill. “Private businesses could legally refuse to serve families like mine based on the owner’s religious belief.”

The Texas bill is about far more than Chick-fil-A — it’s about whether discrimination against LGBTQ people will be considered a protected religious act. But the fact that the bill’s supporters have chosen to christen it the Save Chick-fil-A bill shows how the fast-food chain has yet again become synonymous with anti-gay sentiment, largely due to its owners’ political beliefs and history of charitable giving.

<Snip>

These controversies also shined a light on the fact that the Cathys regularly made donations to charities known for discriminating against LGBTQ people.

In 2011, the same year a Pennsylvania Chick-fil-A franchise donated food to a local anti-gay organization, the LGBTQ advocacy group Equality Matters obtained tax records which revealed that the Cathy family had donated more than $1.9 million to anti-gay groups in 2010 through the WinShape Foundation, the Cathy family’s charitable giving organization founded by Truett Cathy in 1984. Those donations included a $1.1 million gift to the Marriage & Family Foundation, a group that promoted so-called traditional marriage and opposed both gay marriage and divorce; $480,000 to the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, an athletic organization that requires applicants to agree to a “sexual purity statement” that condemns LGBTQ people for living “impure lifestyle[s]”; and $1,000 to Exodus International, a group that promotes anti-gay conversion therapy.

I know that's a lot of words but it's an even further truncated vox explainer so take the 10 seconds and read it.

So, you are wrong.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I typed about a 1000 words on this during the actual session so I'm not going to do it again, if you're interested in my rebuttal you can find around the end of April beginning of May.

My only real objections is just people thinking something is true when it isn't so I'll knock it off, you can buy chicken wherever the hell you want.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 7, 2019

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

That's actually the problem though, you're wrong man. You convinced me before since you type so loving much about it I didn't bother looking anything up, but it's obvious Chick-Fil-A is run by a super conservative family who's concluded that they'd rather be overtly religious/conservative and take the hit from people who won't shop their if they're anti-LGTBQ, and I guess the other people who are like "well actually all businesses are conservative so (sonic image here.)" But there're certainly chicken places run by more liberal people to buy chicken from. Sure the individual stores are franchised, but those people made a choice who to buy the franchise from.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

M. Night Skymall posted:

You convinced me before since you type so loving much about it I didn't bother looking anything up

Oh my god

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

zoux posted:

Oh my god

You own a Chick-Fil-A franchise or something why do you defend them so hard?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol I guess Popeyes was just too progressive for old Cheryl (She was CEO until 2017)

M. Night Skymall posted:

You own a Chick-Fil-A franchise or something why do you defend them so hard?

Like I said I'm only against facile political symbology divorced from reality, I hope that wasn't too many words.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 7, 2019

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

zoux posted:

Lol I guess Popeyes was just too progressive for old Cheryl (She was CEO until 2017)

Like I said I'm only against facile political symbology divorced from reality, I hope that wasn't too many words.

She stepped down when Popeye's got bought by BK, so maybe they did become too progressive for her. "No Proud Chicken Strips in my Popeye's"- Cheryl Bachelder, probably. Sure, not buying chicken at Chick-Fil-A and instead buying it at Popeye's or something isn't doing much, but it also isn't a big ask to not support a place that can't even manage basic "actually gay people are OK" levels of messaging. Which they clearly can't, most places even if the management is also super christian manages to ya know, be open on Sunday, and not plaster their support of anti-LGTBQ groups all over their corporate giving area of their website, and not give interviews where they talk about how they just can't stop supporting these anti-LGTBQ groups because they do too much good in the community. Plenty of other places manage this basic level of human decency and Chick-Fil-A doesn't, so anyway buy your chicken wherever.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I bet Restaurants Brands International even changed their twitter logo to a pride flag for pride month. They are comrades.

M. Night Skymall posted:

not buying chicken at Chick-Fil-A and instead buying it at Popeye's or something isn't doing much,

No, it sure ain't.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 7, 2019

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
If you get your head any further up your own rear end you're going to start a black hole and kill us all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TimEaton30/status/1159139541674024964

Hook em Aggies

https://twitter.com/ericbradner/status/1159139134411177984

This is probably going to make him less likely to run for Senate, tbh. (Also lol at a campaign manager. especially Jen O'Malley, chiding the press for inquiring about campaigns)

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 7, 2019

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
What are the chances we ever hear that Bonnen tape?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Quite slim

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

zoux posted:

This is probably going to make him less likely to run for Senate, tbh. (Also lol at a campaign manager. especially Jen O'Malley, chiding the press for inquiring about campaigns)

I mean, the thing that's giving Beto traction right now is chiding the press for improper focus, so this would be right in line with that theme.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/GadiNBC/status/1159171664514392064

Marine Todd decided to show up at the memorial vigil for the 22 people killed in El Paso

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/KHOU/status/1159061373705498625

bet these are huey p newton gc people

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/andreazelinski/status/1159242275525992448

https://twitter.com/MattMackowiak/status/1159239553338748928

So loving stupid

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

What are they going to investigate?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

gently caress if I know. Maybe colluding against your own members violates House rules or w/e. It's probably a way to let all the members hear the tape.

https://twitter.com/danpfeiffer/status/1159258824299044864?s=21

He deleted this one and fixed the spelling but Jesus Christ

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1159260904631836673

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

zoux fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 8, 2019

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/jessicashortall/status/1159135178733867009

this is par for the course for tarrant county republicans. living in the burbs like north richland hills in a bubble of fear

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

https://twitter.com/jessicashortall/status/1159135178733867009

this is par for the course for tarrant county republicans. living in the burbs like north richland hills in a bubble of fear

Aren't most NorTex suburbs just a lot of rural Cali transplants wooed on the story that Texas is a conservative utopia/have to keep the brown people from getting the majority?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Jiro posted:

Aren't most NorTex suburbs just a lot of rural Cali transplants wooed on the story that Texas is a conservative utopia/have to keep the brown people from getting the majority?

This was posted earlier in the thread, but it pretty much confirms: https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2018/11/09/native-texans-voted-native-texan-beto-orourke-transplants-went-cruz-exit-poll-says

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Zwabu posted:

Worse than Dickey's?

You shut your whore mouth :mad:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/quorumreport/status/1159306040997031937?s=20

What would they even charge him with? Is it illegal to be a dumbass?

e:

Jiro posted:

The term is "alamosexuals"

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 8, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/WillieNelson/status/1159312140588785665

We need to start to prepare for the death of Willie

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

You can't prepare for a death of Willie. :(

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/SeanTrende/status/1159468962616348673

This guy is a major blue Texas skeptic and right-leaning pollster, very conservative in estimation, so if he says this, well, he's probably still wrong but!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

zoux posted:

noooooooooooooooooo :smith: