Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
oh it looked like kevin banned himself

cremnob then Kevin

people can't take the iphone 7

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

exploding mummy posted:

oh it looked like kevin banned himself

cremnob then Kevin

people can't take the iphone 7

:smith:

p kev is mentally ill and i hope he gets the best help canadian helthcare can provide

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
wireless earbuds are a cool idea, but airpods are stupid because they don't fit anyone

they really need to be custom fitted like a hearing aid or ultimate ears

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Perplx posted:

wireless earbuds are a cool idea, but airpods are stupid because they don't fit anyone

yeah airpods are bad because earpods are bad. it has nothing to do with them being wireless

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Perplx posted:

EarPods fit me perfectly, I assume the airpods will fit just as well. I just went for a jog with mine and they didn't fall out once, and they would be even better without cords.

sorry about your bad ears.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

yeah airpods are bad because earpods are bad. it has nothing to do with them being wireless

can someone enlighten me to why earpods are bad if it's not because they don't fit your ears and keep falling out

because personally I straight-up can't use earpods while I'm working out unless they're the kind that clip on to your earlobes (because otherwise they will fall out and thank god they're on a wire)

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Bose in ear headphones have the best fit and comfort of any in ear. make some like that and I'm all over it

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Endless Mike posted:

atually,

EarPods are good!

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

There Will Be Penalty posted:

http://gizmodo.com/fix-apples-wireless-airpods-with-this-10-wire-1786545401

another thing to carry around that you will surely never lose

lmao

courage

Pretty much like Jaybird bluetooth headphones then, they can be paired up with something silly like 11 devices,

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

uncurable mlady posted:

or bluetooth. quelle horreure, merchants may have to pay a couple bucks to accept credit cards

a ton of stores with iPad pos systems still use an iPad 2

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

eric posted:

wow, they will really miss out on the new messages app

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
dongles and bluetooth: still bad

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

loquacius posted:

can someone enlighten me to why earpods are bad if it's not because they don't fit your ears and keep falling out

because personally I straight-up can't use earpods while I'm working out unless they're the kind that clip on to your earlobes (because otherwise they will fall out and thank god they're on a wire)
i can't use them at all because they are incredibly uncomfortable and i'm amazed anyone thinks jamming hard plastic in their ears feels good.

they also don't sound great imo, but i won't really complain about things that cost free.

eric posted:

then i guess removing headphone jacks from iphones won't affect them in any way

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

the whole wireless vs wired debate as a substitute for whether removing the 3.5mm port was a good idea is false dichotomy lmao. even if Bluetooth headphones are superior in every sense, an iPhone 6 can use them while still retaining the option of wired.

saying the port should be removed because 'most people don't need to use their headphones with multiple devices' or 'most people have Bluetooth in their cars anyway' or *insert any other lol you're an edge case conjecture* is equivalent to saying we should remove seat belts because most people buy and sell their cars without ever getting into a high speed collision anyway.

equating it to apples exclusion of floppy and optical drives early on is retarded too. those drives took up a poo poo load of space that could have been used for batteries while limiting how thin laptops could be. the volume taken up by the 3.5mm port + dac is negligible, demonstrated by apples replacing that space with a haptic home button and speaker literally no one asked for instead of more battery

gently caress apple

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

the whole wireless vs wired debate as a substitute for whether removing the 3.5mm port was a good idea is false dichotomy lmao. even if Bluetooth headphones are superior in every sense, an iPhone 6 can use them while still retaining the option of wired.

saying the port should be removed because 'most people don't need to use their headphones with multiple devices' or 'most people have Bluetooth in their cars anyway' or *insert any other lol you're an edge case conjecture* is equivalent to saying we should remove seat belts because most people buy and sell their cars without ever getting into a high speed collision anyway.

equating it to apples exclusion of floppy and optical drives early on is retarded too. those drives took up a poo poo load of space that could have been used for batteries while limiting how thin laptops could be. the volume taken up by the 3.5mm port + dac is negligible, demonstrated by apples replacing that space with a haptic home button and speaker literally no one asked for instead of more battery

gently caress apple

i agree with this 100% and i have had apple phones since 2008. i will be not buying anything until the iphone 8 comes out. if it doesn't have a headphone jack then lol maybe i will kill myself.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
seriously, bluetooth headphones are bad. maybe that can change in a couple years, we will see. so far it looks pretty poo poo.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
tell me how my bluetooth headphones are bad.. QC35

cuz i just got thru several hours of airplane flight with my bt headphones and the 4 different, concurrent screaming babies didnt bother me at all due to them

i'd say, they are actually good

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

bose qc noise canceling is a godsend on long haul flights

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

triple sulk posted:

bose qc noise canceling is a godsend on long haul flights

AMEN

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sniep posted:

tell me how my bluetooth headphones are bad.. QC35

cuz i just got thru several hours of airplane flight with my bt headphones and the 4 different, concurrent screaming babies didnt bother me at all due to them

i'd say, they are actually good

did u charge them? if yes, they are bad. with normal good headphones you do not charge them.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

C.H.O.M.E posted:

did u charge them? if yes, they are bad. with normal good headphones you do not charge them.

how else is active noise cancellation going to work, genius

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
also I've never had EarPods fall out, maybe y'all need to not be greasy motherfuckers with slippery earholes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i can sleep through nearly any background noise no prob. maybe not kids screaming in my ear but the other airplane noises are no issue

light, though, gently caress that. i need total darkness

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

lol if you can't just fall asleep anywhere, anytime. just lol.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

im sleeping right now

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Elder Postsman posted:

lol if you can't just fall asleep anywhere, anytime. just lol.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

really makes you think

Not really, since Square has a BlueTooth card reader that also gets you NFC and chip card support. ApplePay has nothing to do with food trucks accepting credit cards or not. And you can always use the dongle if you're one of the weirdos that uses one of the Not Square readers.

Phoenixan posted:

don't know about the others but square lets you just tap in the number & security code if you don't have the swiper plugged in

Enjoy your 50000% "Card Not Present" processing fee for doing this.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

loquacius posted:

because if one of them falls out of your ear like earbuds always do, it will fall straight to the ground and be stepped on instantly, and then you'll have to buy a complete new set

and because wired headphones can be swapped between devices and wired-headphone devices can be swapped between wired headphones effortlessly and the same process would be a huge pain with any wireless tech

Some of the people who tried out the AirPods after the keynote said they literally tried headbanging and still couldn't make the AirPods fall out.

And if it's that big of a loving deal, Apple also includes wired headphones with the iPhone 7.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 13, 2016

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Doc Block posted:

Some of the people who tried out the AirPods after the keynote said they literally tried headbanging and still couldn't make the AirPods fall out.

And if it's that big of a loving deal, Apple also includes wired headphones with the iPhone 7.

but I need to be mad about something

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
leaving aside how lovely wireless headphones are the airbuds are going to be especially bad since they have no volume or mute controls

they're also not noise cancelling so why even bother with specialty headphones?

*businessman lugs carryon through airport stuffed to the brim with dongles, headphones, chargers, cables* "ah, convenience"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

is active noise cancelling possible with earbuds + mic or is there more hardware needed?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Stymie posted:

*businessman lugs carryon through airport stuffed to the brim with dongles, headphones, chargers, cables* "ah, convenience"

lol this has been your episode of "Stymie's thoughts on how things might work", September Week 2, 2016. Copyright The Learning Channel, All rights Reserved.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

zen death robot posted:

I just think the airpos look goofy as hell, I'm not ready for the future

agreed.

i think the ear things are dumb for a lot of reasons but while the charge case is neat, it doesn't really fix the fact they took away cords before they knew how the cordless way was gonna work

maybe it will become this!

prolly it wont?

i have no idea.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Stymie posted:

leaving aside how lovely wireless headphones are the airbuds are going to be especially bad since they have no volume or mute controls

they're also not noise cancelling so why even bother with specialty headphones?

If only the phone they were connected to had volume control buttons...

Would noise cancellation even work for in-ear headphones?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Doc Block posted:

yes, Bose has them

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Doc Block posted:

it's a simpler version, and yes, IEMs do it with active NC

but the over-the-ear are the best as far as i'm concerned, tons of NC just in the surrounds they use it's amazing

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sniep posted:

lol this has been your episode of "Stymie's thoughts on how things might work", September Week 2, 2016. Copyright The Learning Channel, All rights Reserved.

let's suppose that a person with an iphone 7 wants to travel and has purchased both airbuds and other non-apple noise-cancelling wireless headphones

that would mean that they would need to carry the following:

iphone
iphone charger
iphone charging cable
airbuds x2
airbuds charging box
airbuds charger
airbuds charging cable
wired earpods (for use after 5 hours)
third party wireless noise-cancelling headphones (possibly x2 if they are not corded)
third party wireless noise-cancelling headphones charger
third party wireless noise-cancelling headphones charging cable

an optional configuration would be, in lieu of the wired earpods to instead use other third party wired headphones which would then require the iphone dongle

this does not account for any other equipment they would be carrying such as a laptop/ipad/kindle which would also require chargers, cables and other accessories

Doc Block posted:

they immediately defeat the purpose of wireless headphones by their design? that's kind of a big oversight

Stymie fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 13, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Last Chance posted:

is active noise cancelling possible with earbuds + mic or is there more hardware needed?

you need something to amplify the mic signal to an appropriate level and invert it

if you're doing that digitally then probably also some kind of way of synchronizing it

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
sorry stymie but nah

and i didnt read you rpost that was real long and boring from like word #3

real people live in a diff universe than u it seems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN