Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
I'm boring and used 2x UAC/10 (6 tons of ammo) and a LB-10X (2 tons of ammo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
So I take it Night Gyr has super tiny hitboxes that will get "fixed" once its available for cbills?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Skoll posted:

So I take it Night Gyr has super tiny hitboxes that will get "fixed" once its available for cbills?

They're about as big as a Grashopper (slightly wider and shorter). And blow up as easy as expected. Though there might be issues I haven't encountered yet.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
For those of you who don't like :pgi: events: http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/236961-stock-mech-mayhem/

Summary: Raffle for 4x 7 Premium days. Take part in Stock matches and have a chance to win.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Unf. Stock leagues, how I miss thee.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
As terrible as the 12tons of locked junk on the EXE-C are, I'm having a ball with it in quickplay with 3ERLL and 10ERSL. 416-1683m, LL punishment. Close on me and see how hard I can REALLY hit.
I'll never consider it a high-end mech, but lol it's fun.

Also, every Night Jerk I've seen thus far decided the smart move was to facerush me. That did not end well for them after i put 180dmg center torso.

Zyphoid
Mar 5, 2015
2x gauss, 3x med pulse Night Gyr is legit. Lots of ammo, a poo poo ton of pinpoint killing power if you can aim.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
I'm personally not a fan of the charge up mechanic. Though I'm starting to get the hang of dekals:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The charge is super rewarding if you can get used to playing with it. I honestly think Gauss is a better weapon post-charge than it was before, since the charge up came with a huge projectile speed boost.

Rysithusiku posted:

As terrible as the 12tons of locked junk on the EXE-C are, I'm having a ball with it in quickplay with 3ERLL and 10ERSL. 416-1683m, LL punishment. Close on me and see how hard I can REALLY hit.
I'll never consider it a high-end mech, but lol it's fun.

I think that's about the right verdict. I'm running mine with a uAC20 and six ER SLs. It's not good, but it's fun, even without eliting the mech. I imagine it would be much more fun after eliting, but there aren't that many builds I want to try out on the thing. Good opponents can focus the CT very easily, it's incredibly tall to the point that a fair amount of normal cover just doesn't work, all the guns are in super low arm mounts, and it doesn't have the tonnage for massed ballistics or the hardpoints for missiles. It does have two godhands though. And it can run at 80+ kph in short bursts.

It's a shame the jumpjets are so worthless- you can't even get on top of the citadel in the middle of river city with them, and that's only about 1.5x the height of the mech itself. Because four tons for MASC is a fantastic deal on this mech, but the eight tons for JJs are just wasted tonnage. I guess what I really want is a Spirit Bear, but no loving way am I giving PGI that much money.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

aniviron posted:

It's a shame the jumpjets are so worthless- you can't even get on top of the citadel in the middle of river city with them, and that's only about 1.5x the height of the mech itself. Because four tons for MASC is a fantastic deal on this mech, but the eight tons for JJs are just wasted tonnage. I guess what I really want is a Spirit Bear, but no loving way am I giving PGI that much money.

Honestly, I'm 50/50 on whether or not I'd keep the masc if i could change that stuff. It certainly has it's uses. But the JJs are just painful. i could do SO MUCH with 8 more tons on that mech. Gotta try the godhands build on it for giggles. C'est la vie, c'est la guerre, c'est un pomme de terre.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Rysithusiku posted:

Honestly, I'm 50/50 on whether or not I'd keep the masc if i could change that stuff. It certainly has it's uses. But the JJs are just painful. i could do SO MUCH with 8 more tons on that mech. Gotta try the godhands build on it for giggles. C'est la vie, c'est la guerre, c'est un pomme de terre.

Mais ceci n'est pas une pipe.

I mean, four tons isn't much to a 95 ton mech, and being able to do almost 90 with speed tweak, accelerate and decelerate instantly, and turn to match any light is worth it for that price to me.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

aniviron posted:

Mais ceci n'est pas une pipe.

I mean, four tons isn't much to a 95 ton mech, and being able to do almost 90 with speed tweak, accelerate and decelerate instantly, and turn to match any light is worth it for that price to me.

The drat thing does dance in the right hands. I can outmaneuver slower mediums. I actually am finding that abusing those oddly high chest mounts for poke (I like 3 1700m ERLLs) and then just bitchslapping anyone that gets close with that right hand is disturbingly effective. You better know how to use that MASC though, or you are utterly boned.

e: heh, just tried stacking quad LBX-2 with 500 rounds of ammo and going dakka. disturbingly effective right up until I hit some sort of weird bug. Lost my right arm and all my guns became unfireable. For reference, spread was 1RA, 2RT, 1LA, ammo LT.

Rysithusiku fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 21, 2016

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
It's quite amazing how everyone seems to know exactly where I am today. Guess Helios is on sale this week.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
Please stop.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
with UAVs and people calling targets and seismic, it's honestly not that hard to figure out where people are

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Finally got my Sparky geared enough to matter

Just gotta earn a little more to switch over to large pulses instead

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

So what's the group consensus on the new mech? Another Kodiak or an average Omni?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

So what's the group consensus on the new mech? Another Kodiak or an average Omni?

It's a tip-top-tier heavy

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

veedubfreak posted:

It's quite amazing how everyone seems to know exactly where I am today. Guess Helios is on sale this week.

Goddamn how did i know that was a veedub post before i scrolled left on my mobile to see the name

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Solo queue has been really fun the past 2 days. Nearly no games under 600 damage, not even the ones I lost. There are so many Kodiaks and Night Gyrs out there to pound damage into.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Its good, but not utterly fantastic. It packs a nasty punch but crumples pretty easily and is slow for a clan mech, i still prefer my warhams and timberwolves.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
AS7-D-DC

Thoughts?

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Far too slow, something like this would be better to my eye.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=17&l=8a67ced30d261bd178550da170dcfd01feb744a8

Can swap out the LBX's to an AC20 and get SRM6 if you want.

45 kph means you cant really push, you can only lumber, with the all short range brawling atlas you need to get in range.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
here is the -D-DC baseline build

AS7-D-DC

you can mess around with the armor values a bit but keep 95% on the front. Medium lasers can be removed for more ammo

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

That engine is too small, you need all the maneuverability you can get in a 100 tonners, also even if I thought un-quirked IS lb10x was good, your job as a dad is not to crit fish, you are a gatecrasher, scare folks with your load-out, AC20s drive fear into the hearts of pubbies and a good alpha in 1 hit location can cripple a mech.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
second question: GRF-1S: two artemis SRM-2s and 4 MPL or 2 non-artemis SRM-4s and 4 MPL?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
metamechs guy on Night Gyr -- rates it a Tier 1 but not as broken as the Kodiak
http://www.nogutsnogalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=4193.0

Also, heavy mech sale for the next eight days
http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/237259-heavy-mech-sale/

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The LBXs are great gate crashers and you get more ammo per ton.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Grognan posted:

The LBXs are great gate crashers and you get more ammo per ton.

the issue with putting them on an Atlas is that you need to sacrifice your SRM launcher size or your engine, neither of which will help you in a push

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

Pattonesque posted:

metamechs guy on Night Gyr -- rates it a Tier 1 but not as broken as the Kodiak
http://www.nogutsnogalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=4193.0

Also, heavy mech sale for the next eight days
http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/237259-heavy-mech-sale/

Awesome, i have been saving up for a hellbringer

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Pattonesque posted:

the issue with putting them on an Atlas is that you need to sacrifice your SRM launcher size or your engine, neither of which will help you in a push

Bullshit

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=17&l=cb518d78a38c8e51163ba580cfa956a8cc7d3bf9

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

huh, I stand corrected

the issue is that you trade off 20 points of pinpoint for 20 points of scatter, and given the way the Atlas plays the faster ROF doesn't help you as much

I'm not saying it's bad, I just don't think it's worth the trade considering how the Ghost Dad plays

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The reduced heat and extra range come in handy often enough. They're also sturdier than the single AC20 so you aren't disarmed the second you lose torso armor. Spreads not ideal but in SRM range it doesn't make a significant difference on non lights.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
New Event: 1 Kill Most Damage Dealt against any Night Gyr Variant = 1 Night Gyr Warhorn (and 2 similar other challenges for another warhorn each)
https://mwomercs.com/tournaments?t=201609mechs

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Are you married to the ECM or would you consider doing similiar on another atlas?
My atlas-s is very similiar to what you're trying to do there.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Ecm is the only reason to ow. A ghost dad

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Anyway, few mistakes.

No endo. Its worth 5 tons on an atlas, thats why your engine is so small.
Also your leg armor is maxed, which isn't important. You can do about 51/57 points on the legs and be fine, and also free up many tons.

With those two changes alone, you can jump to a 325 with full engine sinks. I usually recommend a 350 on an atlas, but 2 lb10 is so weighty you practically have to use a 325, and that's about as small as I'd go.

I've heard good things about the 340 as far as a middle ground for twist speed and maneuverability, but I haven't used it and can't speak from experience.

what engine are you using that you have to choose between 4's and 2's on a medium?

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 22, 2016

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

second question: GRF-1S: two artemis SRM-2s and 4 MPL or 2 non-artemis SRM-4s and 4 MPL?

I'm assuming you're just trying to basic it before you pitch it. Two basic LRM5's are great for getting all the assist XP. If i have a mech that I just want to get done with, i throw a bap and a sensor range module on and steal ALL the scout xp for the match as well.

Based on endo and an xl300(endo), or a std275(endo+ferro) it looks like you can god hand 3-4 larges or LPLs.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Ahdinko posted:

Goddamn how did i know that was a veedub post before i scrolled left on my mobile to see the name

I had to straight quit playing yesterday. I don't know what it was, but the game was ~really~ pissing me off. And I'm not talking about dying in a big mech, I'm talking about being halfway across the map in lights and being seen instantly. I think it's break time again from this game. I think playing in solo queue just brings out the rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

I had to straight quit playing yesterday. I don't know what it was, but the game was ~really~ pissing me off. And I'm not talking about dying in a big mech, I'm talking about being halfway across the map in lights and being seen instantly. I think it's break time again from this game. I think playing in solo queue just brings out the rage.

I mean it's not that hard to see lights from a ways away if you know where to look

that being said a break is probably a good call. I've done it a few times before and it's worth it

• Locked thread