Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Wizchine posted:

I'll go wild and name the remaining BRIC country - Russia.

The whole BRICs inanity was hilarious.

It took what, a couple years to completely crash and burn?

Brazil- just lol.
Russia - RIP
India - lol
China - lololol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

You are out of your minds, surely the next contender for leading the world is Brazil.

Brazils "success" story already unraveled, that dream is over. You can read articles all about it like 5-6 years ago but now its just doom and gloom.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Brazils "success" story already unraveled, that dream is over. You can read articles all about it like 5-6 years ago but now its just doom and gloom.

I remember reading about how straight-up government corruption ended up being some insane proportion of GDP, like 8 loving percent.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Pick posted:

I remember reading about how straight-up government corruption ended up being some insane proportion of GDP, like 8 loving percent.

8%? get on the level of dongbei

The Financial Times posted:

The Chinese province of Liaoning fabricated fiscal data for four years, a senior official has admitted, the latest blow to the already shaky reputation of China’s economic statistics.

Fiscal revenues in the province were inflated by at least 20 per cent from 2011 to 2014, said provincial governor Chen Qiufa, according to Communist party mouthpiece The People’s Daily. “Liaoning was involved in large-scale financial deception at city and county levels that lasted a long time and involved many people,” Mr Chen added.

The falsification led to “additional taxes of Rmb1,000 ($146) per person in recent years”, the state-run China Daily said.

The revelation comes after China’s top statistician Ning Jizhe acknowledged last month the falsification of economic data, admitting that “fraud and deception” had occurred and vowing to punish perpetrators.

Economists and investors have long expressed doubts about Chinese economic data, particularly gross domestic product figures. Compared with other countries, China’s inflation-adjusted GDP growth rates are remarkably stable from quarter to quarter. The average of provincial GDP figures is often far in excess of the official national figure.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Nah, I don't mean things tinged by corruption, or affected by corruption. I mean corruption like as a pure industry, as opposed to like "agriculture".

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
If I understand you right, the unambiguous way to describe it would be:

Transactions related to corruption, such as bribes, account for 8 percent of the total of all transactions in the country. For every dollar spent by anyone on anything, 8 cents are spent on bribes.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
People are always giddy for the fall of America, but I think by the time that happens, the entire world is going to be in a pretty bad place. No, China isn't going to save us by throwing a billion trillion dollars at "green technology" and chabuduo solar panels made from half-understood blueprints stolen from foreign sources.

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

Haier, as a goon who loves epic SA happenings - please trip sit Chaoshan girl. It'll be fun for everyone and nothing can go wrong.

oh my god dude what the gently caress

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Listening to economist Mark Blyth really puts China into perspective. Their economy is the size of two Germany's. It crashing would not be enough to destroy the world economy. Similarly, China is not important enough to save the world economy considering their population saves like mad instead of consuming and so much of their economy is based on the value of US Treasury bills. If the US falls, China goes with it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ccs posted:

Listening to economist Mark Blyth really puts China into perspective. Their economy is the size of two Germany's. It crashing would not be enough to destroy the world economy. Similarly, China is not important enough to save the world economy considering their population saves like mad instead of consuming and so much of their economy is based on the value of US Treasury bills. If the US falls, China goes with it.

Im not sure I buy saves like mad when it seems like 90% of saving is done to buy property, especially in a market that appears to be a massive property bubble.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The statistics show a savings rate of more than 40%, whereas in the US it's less than 20%. China does put more money into property though, since they are more distrustful of their economic system and economic fundamentals, and like to have tangible assets vs. financial products.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It also is generational. Older people have mattresses stuffed with cash, young people run credit. Korea has the same thing--they had a huge savings rate but there's also an absolutely massive, massive credit bubble.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
That statistic is usually taken from the Gross Savings rate, which is misleading because it's not "savings" in the layman sense of the word. It's whatever money in the entire economy that is leftover after you accounted for money spent on consumption, net government expenditure, and net exports. People mistakenly think it means "Chinese people are putting 40% of their income in the bank" when really it means "40% of China's economy is made up of investments and capital."

Ccs posted:

You got a link to this argument? Because this part makes no sense to me.

CIGNX fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 6, 2017

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If the US suddenly stopped paying/stopped being able to pay the returns on treasury bills the whole world would be hosed over, China's not exactly alone there.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Last night I was supposed to go to some super amazing high-quality hot pot restaurant with my boss, her family, and Chaoshan girl, but my boss has been sick these few days (like actually sick, as opposed to what most Chinese people think "sick" means), so she canceled. I went anyway with CG since I have never tried hot pot before. It never appealed to me because paying money to cook your own food when it is faster and easier and cheaper to have someone make something the same or better tasting. So we went to this highly rated place (I don't even know the name).

I was right. The meal took about 100 minutes to eat, and after about 20 minutes I was annoyed with doing a few things at a time and just dumped my entire tray into the pot to make a big soup, to which I was scolded because Chinese people don't do that. I pointed out the corn and mayonnaise pizza on the menu and said non-Chinese don't do this, so we're even.
It was a buffet-style hot pot where you can choose what you want as many times as you want for a fixed price, and every time I got up the Chinese people walking by me would stare so drat hard at my tray as if I was getting secret ingredients or something. "Wow, foreigners know what mushrooms are!" There was one moment where I was picking stuff out and this woman was waiting about four meters away, watching me. When I would move towards or away from her, she would move the same, never letting us get closer to each other. The second I walked away from the buffet line she scrambled to it.

Since hot pot isn't a southern tradition, CG was also kinda baffled by it and said the last time she went to hot pot was at least two years ago. Her opinion of it was "Poor people, especially the old ones, have nothing to do all day, and they get sick so easy so they always feel cold. That's why they love hot pot because instead of sitting around for five hours talk, they just created a food where they can do the same thing." I don't even know how true that is, because all the tables near us had people coming and going to get ingredients and nobody was sitting together all at once or talking, and it was actually quiet in the place.

Mouth-scalding factor: 9/10
Flavor: 5/10
Time wasting factor: 10/10
"I just want to eat, hurry the gently caress up and cook you stupid loving noodle" factor: 10/10
Shocked Chinese stare factor: 10/10
Would I ever try it again?: 1/10

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Spring time is so lurvely in China

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

There are some things that are simply inscrutable to a western mind.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Chaoshan girl is loving retarded. Like most of the women you meet.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Why do you always happen to bump into country bumpkins

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I really like the people staring at your shopping basket or whatever as if the secrets of the universe are in it. They're always so shocked that you're buying the same vegetables they are in the same store they go to.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

caberham posted:

Why do you always happen to bump into country bumpkins

because he is a gross, personable, hilarious and unabashed gigolo

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
He's getting more in both the goo and the poo then I am, so I can't comment.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Whatever he's doing it's working. It's like the 'if it's stupid and it works, is it really stupid' line. He's also like 60% of the reason I'm following this thread despite never having been to China or having any desire to go.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Haier I'm sorry but youre wrong hot pot is really really really good if you do it right, neither of you had a clue so of course it was stressful and dumb and disappointing

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Every lurker itc your homework assignment is to find a local hot pot place

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

We have to specify the style of hot pot here. Some are inherently bad and there's no saving them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've had korean hot pot a few times and it was all really good. Generally a person comes by and just sets it all for you but I did notice some of the koreans preferring to do things them selves.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah shabu shabu is good. Sichuan is terrible because it's just oil without any flavorings, and while Sichuan peppercorns are good they become totally overwhelming after a while in a hot pot and you can't taste anything. It's crap. I was taken to a super high class hot pot one time, and it was decent at first because the pot liquid had a ton of flavorings in it like whole ginger roots and stuff, but eventually they got overwhelmed. Also everything you put in a Sichuan hot pot ends up tasting identical. That doesn't happen in other styles.

It's pretty much the only bad food in Sichuan and is also by far the most popular with Sichuan people. lol

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
It annoys me that Thai food here is just hot pot but with coconut flavoured broth.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

big time bisexual posted:

8%? get on the level of dongbei

Financial Times posted:

The Chinese province of Liaoning fabricated fiscal data for four years, a senior official has admitted, the latest blow to the already shaky reputation of China’s economic statistics.

:lol: :suicide: My family's province.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

It annoys me that Thai food here is just hot pot but with coconut flavoured broth.

There's a really good vegetarian Bhutanese hot pot place in the southwestern part of town, I can post a location if you're interested. One of the broths is cheese, and you can get goat cheese cubes to cook in your cheese broth. They also have these soybean meatball things filled with wasabi mustard. It's awesome.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

What the loving gently caress

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

caberham posted:

What the loving gently caress

In Chengdu it is literally illegal to open a restaurant that is not hot pot or a hot pot derivative like chuan chuan or maocai.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDRGPUSrpng

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Hotpot is 88% good

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
How do you live in China for any length of time and not have hot pot?

The common denominator in all your hosed up experiences is...

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I'm guessing he went to 海底捞火锅

Which is alright but come on, it's hotpot, chill out, eat food, talk to your friends (if you can sustain a conversation for longer than five minutes with someone you don't want to end up having sex with)

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

a cyberpunk goose posted:

Haier I'm sorry but youre wrong hot pot is really really really good if you do it right, neither of you had a clue so of course it was stressful and dumb and disappointing
It was dumb and takes too long. I don't like sitting for nearly two hours dipping food in salt water with chilis floating around in it.

They had seven broths to choose from. I tried three (everyone had their own pot and stove, no big communal thing). One was okay and had flavor, the others were super plain so you could "taste" the food you were cooking, which was boring.

caberham posted:

Chaoshan girl is loving retarded. Like most of the women you meet.
She's totally right. When you're a redneck and your life is deathly boring and you have nothing to do at night, you either drink or invent hot pot.

Grand Fromage posted:

There's a really good vegetarian Bhutanese hot pot place in the southwestern part of town, I can post a location if you're interested. One of the broths is cheese, and you can get goat cheese cubes to cook in your cheese broth. They also have these soybean meatball things filled with wasabi mustard. It's awesome.
The best tasting and cleanest restaurants (always a green smiley face rating) I have been to in China are always the vegetarian Buddhist buffets. The workers and cooks are there because they are doing service to the sangha, so they don't cut corners, and the quality is always really high in terms of food, ingredients, service, and cleanliness. The prices are nothing (cheapest I went to was 12 RMB, and most expensive was 40), and I have never worried about any illness or reaction after eating there. The average place has 20+ trays to choose from, and the real fancy ones get near 100 different things.

It's also fun to watch the office workers and university students come in to eat to save money and get super confused and terrified at seeing trays of nicely prepared vegetable dishes, and then just get a huge plate of rice and a mountain of tofu because that's the only things they recognize. "What is this called again? Brock-o-lee? What the gently caress kind of shrubbery is this?? Eggplant? I don't see any eggs inside this plant! Cows eat this, and I eat the cows. Har har har! How do people get full on this kind of food?"

hakimashou posted:

How do you live in China for any length of time and not have hot pot?

The common denominator in all your hosed up experiences is...
I said it look dumb because paying money to cook your own food is dumb. I was right.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Jeoh posted:

I'm guessing he went to 海底捞火锅

Which is alright but come on, it's hotpot, chill out, eat food, talk to your friends (if you can sustain a conversation for longer than five minutes with someone you don't want to end up having sex with)

Hai di lao don't do buffet style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I always joke with people that "hot pot" is just soup for impatient people. I tell them it's nothing special if I really want to piss them off.

• Locked thread