Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

weird Asian candy posted:

How did we get to women's tennis chat? :psyduck:

John mcenroe said a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So the best boxer is automatically a heavyweight no question?

Yes which is why we invent fake things like best pound for pound fighter.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Ehud posted:

how are we defining most accomplished?

Serena has more grand slams right?

She has like 22 grand slams and 14 doubles championships and some gold medals.

I mean she said herself that she'd get smoked if she played any of the top men's players so I guess mcenroe's mistake was putting her at 700 instead of like. 200

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ehud posted:

She has five more in singles, but Navratilova has 10 more when you count doubles and mixed doubles.

she last played at wimbledon when she was 49 years old which is insanity

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Volkerball posted:

John mcenroe said a thing

I am reading that now...follow up question...why do we care what John McEnroe says?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Ehud posted:

Serena has more singles grand slams, the other lady has more doubles/mixed doubles grand slams

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

a neat cape posted:

Yes which is why we invent fake things like best pound for pound fighter.

So because Russell Westbrook outdid Kawhi Leonard in every stat he is the better player because intangibles don't matter. Got ya.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Serena has more singles grand slams, the other lady has more doubles/mixed doubles grand slams

Also 18 singles titles.

Navratilova was ridiculous for an insanely long time. She was appearing in grand slam finals for over 30 years.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

I am reading that now...follow up question...why do we care what John McEnroe says?

Because John McEnroe owns

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Because culture war.

But I agree, lesser by any metric is lesser which is why major college sports are universally pathetic.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So because Russell Westbrook outdid Kawhi Leonard in every stat he is the better player because intangibles don't matter. Got ya.

Westbrook is a better player, yes

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

a neat cape posted:

Westbrook is a better player, yes

Which makes him more valuable

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Which makes him more valuable

Yes

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kalli posted:

Because culture war.

But I agree, lesser by any metric is lesser which is why major college sports are universally pathetic.

I would not really compare men and women's tennis to college and professional because it suggests one has lesser talent than the other.

I prefer to compare it to boxing or MMA weight classes where everyone is at the top of their profession but with different physical attributes.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Who are you and what have you done with Ross

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Who are you and what have you done with Ross

I root for Kawhi more than anyone but I'm not gonna objectively say he should have been mvp. I'll say he should have been mvp because Aztecs Bitch

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I would not really compare men and women's tennis to college and professional because it suggests one has lesser talent than the other.

Why not? This is exactly the case in tennis.

Very rarely do people go to college and then go pro. They go to college because they wouldn't be able to make it in the pros or any of the various satellite tours.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

Why not? This is exactly the case in tennis.

Very rarely do people go to college and then go pro. They go to college because they wouldn't be able to make it in the pros or any of the various satellite tours.

I think we are talking about different things.

I mean that you cannot compare men's tennis to women's tennis like we compare professional sports versus college sports.

People at college are not as good as the pros. It's a hierarchy of talent. Women and Men are both equally talented so it's not like being a woman means your skill is lesser than a man. Therefore, it's a hierarchy of attributes.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Venus was better than Serena anyways

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Our obsession with deciding who is the best at things is part of the sickness that infects our western society.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Volkerball posted:

Venus was better than Serena anyways

She wasn't

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Leperflesh posted:

Our obsession with deciding who is the best at things is part of the sickness that infects our western society.

It's true, there's a man in this thread who has decided he is the best at posting and is doing it the most

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

BrownThunder posted:

It's true, there's a man in this thread who has decided he is the best at posting and is doing it the most

I'll take that crown

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

a neat cape posted:

I'll take that crown

You don't have the most posts

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Her name is Venus. Q e mother loving d.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Venus probably never cared as much as Serena.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

FizFashizzle posted:

Venus probably never cared as much as Serena.

So Venus is bo and Serena is Herschel Walker

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

How did we get to women's tennis chat? :psyduck:

The chart was right

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Wait Monster Trucks is a sport

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think we are talking about different things.

I mean that you cannot compare men's tennis to women's tennis like we compare professional sports versus college sports.

People at college are not as good as the pros. It's a hierarchy of talent. Women and Men are both equally talented so it's not like being a woman means your skill is lesser than a man. Therefore, it's a hierarchy of attributes.

Lol, what? Are you one of those people who think women's soccer is as good as men's and gets angry when it gets mentioned that the USWNT gets smoked by men's under 17 or under 15 squads?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

PrinceRandom posted:

Gravedigger is the MVP of monster trucks.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

PrinceRandom posted:

In the same way comic books are literature.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Mel my god what do you do for work

I want that much free time

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Petite Dinklage posted:

In the same way Monster Trucks is a movie.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

MrLogan posted:

Lol, what? Are you one of those people who think women's soccer is as good as men's and gets angry when it gets mentioned that the USWNT gets smoked by men's under 17 or under 15 squads?

Because men are stronger not more talented

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Amy Pole Her posted:

Mel my god what do you do for work

I want that much free time

Office hours at the start of the session, not much to do

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Petite Dinklage posted:

Okay we're going to loving fight now. :bahgawd:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Office hours at the start of the session, not much to do

I don't know what this means

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Amy Pole Her posted:

I don't know what this means

I have to sit in my office in case students need to talk with me for a designated amount of time every week and right now it's too early for the students to feel like they need to speak with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/usatodaynba/status/880109385959256064

Rip white chocolate

• Locked thread