Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'd also like to point out again that that LEX crises works similarly to the end of the cycle, where an empire in the galaxy needs to deliberately destroy a space prison to start the event chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

now that missiles are good, can autocannons be made good too? i don't think there has been a single scenario while building a ship that i thought "Hm, autocannons would be better than a plasma cannon/rail gun."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bit irritating that the AI can do that then if they're going to be that powerful... Also I don't think the AI can do the garden.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Roobanguy posted:

now that missiles are good, can autocannons be made good too? i don't think there has been a single scenario while building a ship that i thought "Hm, autocannons would be better than a plasma cannon/rail gun."

Aren't they good at hitting small ships?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Aren't they good at hitting small ships?

small/medium plasma/kinetics are also good at hitting small ships, while also not having half the range.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They have generally good DPS being a T2 weapon and above average tracking but I'm not sure if their poor range offsets it very well. You could probably do much better with lasers at this point since they got buffed to double the range of autocannons with similar properties.

Also yeah the general versatility of kinetics against both armour and shields is also competitive. Frankly if you want to make a dedicated anti small ship craft I would probably suggest high tier medium missiles because they get bonus tracking per tier, they give you a good alpha strike, they have bonus damage to everything and at short range they retarget enough to make them very similar to hitscan weapons. They also work to focus down large targets too.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 5, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Roobanguy posted:

small plasma/kinetics are also good at hitting small ships, while also not having half the range.

See, I find the feedback so bad in combat that I never know if a design is good or bad or what aspect is good or bad.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I think that they could have merged auto canons with regular point defense guns.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

See, I find the feedback so bad in combat that I never know if a design is good or bad or what aspect is good or bad.

the only real way to know is by paying attention to how much damage is actually being done in a battle. you'll notice that autocannons significantly trail behind in damage compared to plasma. if you make 2 corvettes hulls, one using all plasma and the other using all autocannons, you'll see that the small plasma will be doing like 50% more damage on average than the autocannons.

even with the malice on shield damage plasma does, corvettes already have a low amount of shields and health that any thing that hits it will also kill it super quick, so autocannons don't really have a use, while that small plasma can actually do quite a bit of damage on even bigger ships, where the autocannon won't be due to not having that 30% armor penetration.

my issue is that autcannons have the coolest firing effect and i want to use them all the time but then realize that my ships could be doing like twice the damage with anything else.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 5, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

I think that they could have merged auto canons with regular point defense guns.

If you stack enough mounts with modded ships, PD guns actually do surprisingly good damage against small craft.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

OwlFancier posted:

An outside context problem is not good game design. If it produces a good result then it is, by definition, accidental. Because you deliberately did not put any thought into what was going to happen when you dropped it, because that is the definition of an outside context problem.

You can make a better game than just doing something completely at random and hoping it produces a good result sometimes. Me adding a mod that randomly powers off you computer without saving the game would also be an outside context problem but it wouldn't be an interesting one either.

Uninhabited sections of the galaxy are something that should exist but sadly generally don't. Territory that cannot be permanently settled or garrisoned is interesting. No man's land is something the game lacks currently.

I think the game is meant to be challenging and that's why people like it.

If you can't handle these things then turn them off or put in some cheats to get past it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Roobanguy posted:

Autocannons were always good. Previous to this patch they had the single best DPS for small gun mounts, and would absolutely melt corvette fleets. Not sure if anything has changed in this patch.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 5, 2017

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, put autocannons and an afterburner on your corvettes and watch them speed ahead of your fleet filling space with lead.

NB: afterburners should buff evasion. Plz Wiz.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

King Doom posted:

Wiz, please add a toggle marked 'Hell Mode' to the game set up screen. If you toggle it on when the first crisis starts it should begin a hidden countdown of about 50 years and then spawn a second crisis that starts another secret countdown of about 25 years and then kicks off the last crisis.

I want the galaxy to be a thousand lightyear wide battle of the somme with Contingency fighting Prethoryn fighting Unbidden while I frantically try to defend my borders at the same time as I try to scrape up the minerals to build habitats to house the endless tide of refugees fleeing the burning, uninhabitable ruins of their homeworlds. I want Singularity bombs that destroy solar systems, I want to strap engines and turrets to Dyson spheres knowing they aren't going to be enough but I just got a message from what used to be an allied empire screaming that their worlds are burning and now I have a timed mission to get a fleet up there to rescue the last transports or their entire race is eradicated and then things start coming out of the galactic core and it's the things the Prethoryn are trying to escape and it all kicks off.

You can use this as a design primer for the next DLC, just add my name as a solar system, I'm cool like that.

loving this. I want the galaxy to burn. I want to render a ten-thousand-LY span uninhabitable for at least the next dozen galactic years because I've blown up every star in it as a desperate firebreak. I want the Prethoryn to be defeated after a century of genocidal war that eradicated trillions of lives, only to discover that a larger fleet is behind them. I want the Unbidden, Aberrant, and Vehement to fight over our galaxy while desperate survivors run from world to world in the shadows.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Autocannons were always good. Previous to this patch they had the single best DPS for the small gun mounts on your corvettes. Not sure if anything has changed in this patch.

though it has the highest dps, that doesn't take in account 2 things. range, and the actual penetration of armor. Plasma is straight up better for every situation compared to an autocannon, because it will go through a significant chunk of armor, and also start doing damage at twice the range an autocannon will.

if you have 2 endgame corvette builds, except 1 is autocannons and 1 is plasma, you'll find the plasma outperforms the autocannons in almost any situation that isn't against corvettes. but corvettes are already easy enough to deal with with any destroyer that is using the medium ship mount.

autocannon's don't really have a good niche that they can fit in imo. if they flipped the range on them and plasma i could see it being competitive, but right now that 20 attack range with no other bonus than "does the most dps" is super punishing.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 6, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

On the other hand they make a really nice bddddddddplinkplinkplink noise.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

On the other hand they make a really nice bddddddddplinkplinkplink noise.

That's why I want them to be better. They have the most satisfying firing sound/animation in the game, but that satisfaction soon turns to disappointment when i realize they didn't pull their weight at all.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
If we're taking about things to change, I'd like to see more variations on hull types. What I mean is that all the current ships have the same baseline stats, eg all corvettes start with 300 HP, 2% armor, 60% evasion, etc.

You should be able to research more specialized variants like corvettes with very low evasion but much faster base speed; or much slower corvettes with increased base hp. Or even one with worse base stats but you can fit an extra ship module slot on it.

This would make it more difficult for the ai ship designer but I think it'd as a very nice distinction to all the different races in your galaxies ships. Plus you could actually build super specialized ships around the sub-optimal weapons which could work out in the right situation.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I fixed my power problems and started beating up on my local weak neighbor and then some contingency event happened and holy gently caress I'm running a single 40k fleet against several 70+ but now there are good robots helping me.

My plan is to run around conquering the worlds freed by the good robots and the ancient empire while trying to avoid the Titan swarm.

I don't need the territory, but space terminators must expand, and I cannot allow these contingency fellas to out Terminator me.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Yeah, I'd like to see more customization of ship behavior. Maybe going as far as something like Dominions, where you customize wings for the fleet and specific behavior.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, I'd like to see more customization of ship behavior. Maybe going as far as something like Dominions, where you customize wings for the fleet and specific behavior.

Ohgod not dominions. Presets, moddable if desired.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I still don't understand why the removed the behaviour modules and split the ships into 'this ship rushes into battle only' and 'this ship hangs back only'.

It makes no sense for my torpedo corvettes to want to rush into knife fighting range

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Is there a still active mod that replaces ground combat entirely with a fleet based system? Alternatively maybe a mod that makes transport ships have combat power so they can join with regular fleets? Just want to get rid of that excess micromanagement and find a solution that fixes the AI and transports.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Contingency trip report: I built up a 77k fleet, smashed it into one of the 72k fleets, beat it, survived with just under half my ships, forge world spawned another instantly and sent it to the same spot.

Please send help.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
So, I've been playing Guilliman's planet modifier mod. It's freaking amazingly incredible and fun. It's so much more than the standard "look for the biggest planets" now.

I wanted to see how fast I could slingshot with some favorable luck. After about 10 resets, I finally got a superior start:

Step 1) Try to get somewhere near the center, or close enough that you can colonize near the center

Step 2) Immediately build +unity building and a second science ship. Your first science ship explores space that you can improve with your constructor, the other one only scans down planets you can immediately colonize

Step 3) Find a +200% border range planet and impregnate the bitch

Step 4) Cherry pick a few decent wonder planets and proceed to stomp face. Notice the year and incomes:

Edit: Step 5) Pick up ALL the border expand you can get. Research, Ascension Point, and the domination opener. Early, border range is king; 10% research only is beneficial much later. I'd rather have +x more research and mining stations than 10% research of some low number in the double digits. Also, I tech auto explore ASAP and run the exploration edict to get as many procs as possible.

As you can see, this is a crazy fast start. The only problem is you get absolutely annihilated if someone declares war on you. I lost all three of my starter corvettes exploring (notice all the bullshit red spawned around the map). Luckily the only guy I found early was to my north and quite a far ways away, so I felt pretty safe. Also, it took 10 resets to get a border range planet near enough to me that I could colonize it; so I'm cherry picking this start. It's been exceptionally fun, though :sun:

Omniblivion fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 6, 2017

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Crisis rng can suck it could be worse. Like not rolling point defense in SotS and just eating poo poo all game until you can steal it from someone way later.

Anyway having options for ship AI would be good again. I want to make a fleet of dumbass battleships that just charge right in and shoot bullets in every direction. I don't think the game needs multiple versions of each hull unless combat itself is revamped to be more tactical.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

This game definitely needs more ways to watch the galaxy burn. Multiple Crisis is the only mod I will wait to be updated before I play Stellaris.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

It's 2405 and no crisis, have I hit the magical "nothing happens" option? I only ask becaise the gsme runs soooo slow at this point

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Fuligin posted:

It's 2405 and no crisis, have I hit the magical "nothing happens" option? I only ask becaise the gsme runs soooo slow at this point

No such thing as 'no crisis'. You'll get one eventually.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

This game definitely needs more ways to watch the galaxy burn. Multiple Crisis is the only mod I will wait to be updated before I play Stellaris.

Yeah. I'd love to be able to destroy stars and planets, too. I'm not sure how well that'd work with the wargoal system, though.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Ohgod not dominions. Presets, moddable if desired.

You know want to compete with a space pantheon of pretender gods, sacrificing young alien virgins in dark rituals to corrupt the fabric of reality and cause every species to age 10 years per month in a bid to be crowned the space pantokrator and eternally (maybe) rule over a universe you ruined to get a leg up on those who would challenge your godhood.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

BurntCornMuffin posted:

You know want to compete with a space pantheon of pretender gods, sacrificing young alien virgins in dark rituals to corrupt the fabric of reality and cause every species to age 10 years per month in a bid to be crowned the space pantokrator and eternally (maybe) rule over a universe you ruined to get a leg up on those who would challenge your godhood.

If you want flavorful events what can be better than a Fanatic Purifier stealing blood slaves from other empires to conduct a ritual that snuffs out their stars and casts a shadow across the universe?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Suggestion: add a species kill count for Purifiers/Swarm/Exterminators. You don't even need to give it bonuses.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

nessin posted:

If you want flavorful events what can be better than a Fanatic Purifier stealing blood slaves from other empires to conduct a ritual that snuffs out their stars and casts a shadow across the universe?

Horror bombing fleets OP.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nessin posted:

How about summoning a chaos god and killing your entire species.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

hobbesmaster posted:

How about summoning a chaos god and killing your entire species.

End of the Cycle, Horizon Signal... more events like that, Wiz!!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Milky Moor posted:

End of the Cycle, Horizon Signal... more events like that, Wiz!!

For true, that's the good poo poo.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
100 Year Report:

Pretty solid- buddied up with a few guys around me and so I haven't been to war once. I cleared out all the garbage and now there are only the leviathans left. I was pretty lucky and hit living metal as well, so that's neat.

I've already built the Science Nexus (3/3) and am working on my Dyson Sphere (1/3 done- +250). No sectors yet- I'll get to that once the Dyson Sphere is done. Just booted up another mineral planet and another research planet to bolster Engineering even further.

I have one protectorate to the NW- Once the Dyson Sphere is done I'll build up the rest of the fleet and go take the top half of the map. At this point I'm just waiting to finish building and doing repeatable techs. Already have jump drives and Sapient computer upgrade, too!

I've also already gone through and modded all my robots in 3 categories: Research, Energy and Minerals. Pretty easy to do at this stage, each "Apply Template" only takes about a year.

I didn't hit the Sentry Array yet because I really haven't been fighting much, but I'll get that up next and go take out all the leviathans. I'm about 10 months away from my 6th ascension point- I'll probably go the FE damage bonus so I can go dunk them as well. Still don't have 10% research; I don't feel like it'd give me much at this point (or all game even) because I'm into repeatable techs level IV and V already.

I hit a weird bug where the Precursors quest stopped working. Despite exploring the poo poo out of everything, I'm still only 3/6. The event pops up that is supposed to give me the rest of the hidden locations, but it doesn't actually spawn the anomaly. The only mod I'm using is Guilliman's planet mod.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Once you have about 25k fleet power, you can steamroll the leviathans with no trouble.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Omniblivion posted:

I hit a weird bug where the Precursors quest stopped working. Despite exploring the poo poo out of everything, I'm still only 3/6. The event pops up that is supposed to give me the rest of the hidden locations, but it doesn't actually spawn the anomaly. The only mod I'm using is Guilliman's planet mod.

Click a science ship while you're looking at the planet, sometimes anomaly pop-ups like that are context sensitive. I had the same issue, but ever since I realized that I've yet to have the precursor chain fail to complete over 10 or so games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Add more amusing "this robot did something retarded and died" events, I love those.

• Locked thread