Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Rirse posted:

Oh man, looks like Vanquish is coming to Steam soon, as Bayonetta had a small patch with a picture of the Vanquish main character.

fuuuuuuuuuck

http://www.pcgamer.com/bayonetta-update-teases-a-vanquish-pc-release/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

MMF Freeway posted:

Although to be fair thats all it takes for steam users to start slammin that thumbs down button.

That and Denuvo DRM due to the reddit/4chan brigade.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Personally way more excited about a Vanquish port than the Bayonetta port. Vanquish is my favorite Platinum game while Bayo is probably number 3 behind MGR:R. Although I haven't played Nier:A yet because I'm waiting for the price to come down.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Futuresight posted:

"I won't personally like it" is not a stupid reason. Not a big deal, but it's annoying that there's a whole bunch of games and almost entire genres that are ruined for me by this stuff that doesn't need to be in it. If it was the entire game not being to my taste then whatever, but unnecessary QTEs that sit adjacent to the actual gameplay ruining it for me is frustrating.

I agree, it is not at all a stupid reason to avoid a game because heaven forbid, I might have to press a button during what I thought was a cutscene, even if I was having fun. I agree with you when it comes to bullshit button mashing QTEs or misplaced ones that drop you back at the start of a long cutscene if you fail, but Platinum have always had great QTEs that are just extensions of badassery that you cannot otherwise do, like picking up a giant robot by its sword, or ripping a demon dog with your hair.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I agree, it is not at all a stupid reason to avoid a game because heaven forbid, I might have to press a button during what I thought was a cutscene, even if I was having fun. I agree with you when it comes to bullshit button mashing QTEs or misplaced ones that drop you back at the start of a long cutscene if you fail, but Platinum have always had great QTEs that are just extensions of badassery that you cannot otherwise do, like picking up a giant robot by its sword, or ripping a demon dog with your hair.

Eeeeeeeeeeh, Bayo has a couple of bad ones.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Ehhh, they're not enough to ruin the experience but the ones in Bayonetta that are "press X to jump off thing or die" are pretty suckass. Fortunately Platinum learned and I don't remember them leading to any instant deaths in Rising and outright removed them in Bayonetta 2.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

owl_pellet posted:

Personally way more excited about a Vanquish port than the Bayonetta port. Vanquish is my favorite Platinum game while Bayo is probably number 3 behind MGR:R. Although I haven't played Nier:A yet because I'm waiting for the price to come down.

:same: to literally everything in this post.

I love me some Bayo PC, but I mostly got it in hopes people supporting it would eventually lead to Vanquish PC.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

DaveKap posted:

I am less enjoying the music (sounds like Spelunky, AKA Genesis music,)

Three pages late, but 2 and 4 operator FM synthesis owns bones. Don't you miss your SoundBlaster16?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Vanquish is probably one of my least favorite Platinum games due the intrusive codec scenes and horrible last act and ending, but it'd be nice to play again without having to hook up my 360.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I got Bayo on PC in hopes of getting Bayo 3...directed by Yoko Taro. :getin:

watch the hot leggy witch fight her hopeless battle against angels and condemn the universe to an immediate heat death because of it

also a dope-rear end remix of lullaby of birdland plays during fights

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Dias posted:

One that springs to mind is that one in the 'everything is on fire' section; A is the game's jump button, but to QTE-jump from falling scenery to safety you have to hit X.

Also if I'm ever diagnosed with carpal tunnel in future I'll blame it squarely on the three QTEs in a row in the final Jeanne encounter that you need to 'win' to finish the fight

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

All games where you have to press a button at a particular moment are QTEs, when you think about it.

This Mario game has you do a QTE to avoid the very first enemy in the game or you just run into it and die, what is this bullshit

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Jamfrost posted:

Can't wait to finally get my hands on Vanquish... and then be disappointed because I was too hyped.

Little worried about this too, as I've heard insanely good things. Though I am a simpleton that is easy to please, so I am sure it'll be fine.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

spincube posted:

One that springs to mind is that one in the 'everything is on fire' section; A is the game's jump button, but to QTE-jump from falling scenery to safety you have to hit X.

Also if I'm ever diagnosed with carpal tunnel in future I'll blame it squarely on the three QTEs in a row in the final Jeanne encounter that you need to 'win' to finish the fight

Bayo's worst QTE is also one of its first, just after you beat Fortitudo's heads in the abandoned church. You're coming down from the high of the battle, and then ROTATE STICK TO NOT DIE.

It's incredibly punishing, comes out of nowhere, and there's no margin of error if you screw up.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tippis posted:

…unless you're making chili — that's more of an STE.

:discourse:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Vanquish is literally "What if CONTRA was a 3rd-person shooter" the videogame, right down to the swarms of red cannon-fodder robots that explode when shot and gargantuan transforming bosses that you defeat by summersaulting aggressively towards them.

Also it features President Not-Hillary Clinton.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

ChickenHeart posted:

Vanquish is literally "What if CONTRA was a 3rd-person shooter" the videogame, right down to the swarms of red cannon-fodder robots that explode when shot and gargantuan transforming bosses that you defeat by summersaulting aggressively towards them.

Also it features President Not-Hillary Clinton.

I only ever played the demo, shortly before my xbox dropped dead. what I remember is that your squad included a hilariously huge soldier whose bulk was so substantial you could use him as a cover point. funny comment on Gears of War style character design. looking forward to seeing if it is really as good as I've heard.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
It'd be more likely that they'd port Vanquish instead of Bayo 2, but I'm not sure if steam is ready for it.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Bayonetta has a bunch of those button-mashing and stick-spinning QTEs all throughout the game in the form of the torture attacks. If someone doesn't want to play a game because it has QTEs, that should be fine. Hell, everyone's probably dropped a game because of some minor issue. I haven't played Yooka-Laylee past the first level because the plant transformation's spring noises drive me nuts.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

Ragequit posted:

Little worried about this too, as I've heard insanely good things. Though I am a simpleton that is easy to please, so I am sure it'll be fine.

Then let me make this easy for you: Vanquish is waaaaaaaaaaaay overhyped.

It is still a cool and good and fun game that you will enjoy playing, just moderate your expectations a tad and you'll be fine.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Unbalanced posted:

Then let me make this easy for you: Vanquish is waaaaaaaaaaaay overhyped.

It is still a cool and good and fun game that you will enjoy playing, just moderate your expectations a tad and you'll be fine.

This is the way I feel about every Platinum game I've played, which is most of them. They make good games but don't expect anything near the level of what the fanbase alludes to.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Dias posted:

Namely the "jump to this platform by pressing X or you die" ones. Also that whole part where you're climbing the serpent's tower and there are snakelike tendrils of wind that you have to dodge, and then a part where you have to run along a breaking snake statue and then do a very precise jump (and/or double jump) in order to not insta-die.

I don't mind the "mash the button to do awesome poo poo" parts, in fact I love those parts. They're like an optional mini-game, like how could you not like those? There's not even any punishment for not getting the meter up all the way so what's even the problem?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Man O War Corsair

This game is crap and should have never left Early Access, holy hell...

I wanted to give it a pass for the Warhammer Fantasy subject matter and cause the ship combat was pretty fun for what it was back in EA but it really did neat a lot of work.

This is an embarrassment and it feels extremely unfinished, a lot of the effects feel like place holders or stock effects they forgot to upscale for resolutions higher than 640x480.

Ship combat is terrible and drat near unplayable if you ever get your ship heavily damaged cause the awful smoke effects will completely obscure your vision making aiming impossible, there's barely any good hit effects for when attacking ships so I can't really tell how much damage I'm doing, you can't target specific parts of ships like sails, rudders, or gun ports, and the UI is just plain unreadable.

Land combat is even worse and completely unsatisfying, shooting guns is the only thing I sort of like about it but you won't be doing much of that since guns are crap so you're stuck with swords and boring combat.

Graphically it would be right at home in the early 2000s, I feel like I'm playing a fantasy version of the original Sea Dogs minus any of the fun.

Sound effects are lousy, barely any music... or anything to give the game a sense of atmosphere at all.

The world is incredibly bland and devoid of life.

This just feels half-finished in every sense of the word.

Avoid like the rat plague.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I love the over-the-top action and spectacles that Platinum just seems to do so well.
-
Man O' War's on-foot combat is what made me stop playing. I did enjoy lighting everything on fire as Chaos though.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The Kins posted:

Lot of Steam game announcements today. Introversion (Darwinia, DEFCON, Prison Architect...) have just announced Scanner Sombre, a short first-person walky-story where you have to use a Lidar Scanner to paint a pitch-black world with laser dots so you can see the cave around you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NFlo9FEfaY

It'll be out on Wednesday, where it'll be ten bucks at launch, and twelve a short time afterwards.
Aw man, I was hoping they'd do the bomb defusal game instead.

sliderule posted:

Three pages late, but 2 and 4 operator FM synthesis owns bones. Don't you miss your SoundBlaster16?
No! I'd much rather have the SNES reverb and custom cartridge chips, thank you very much! That said, the game has more variety to its music and gets much better so it sounds way less Genesis/Spelunky. It's just the beginning that grates me.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 24, 2017

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

DaveKap posted:

Aw man, I was hoping they'd do the bomb defusal game instead.

I am still holding out for their never released procedural cyberpunk heist game, even if I know it's not coming.

That game looks way prettier in motion than it does from screenshots.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Deakul posted:

Man O War Corsair

This game is crap and should have never left Early Access, holy hell...

Ouch. Man o' War was one of the first Warhammer games I played and I have a soft spot for how different all the fleets were and the really neat way of tracking ship damage. I'd also really like something to fill the gap left behind by wrapping up Assassin's Creed 3 and 4 and how fun it was sailing around in those. It's really too bad it doesn't check either of those boxes.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I only had persistent hitching issues in Nier after I installed the fan patch. Removed the patch, and it was smooth as butter (though in non-native resolution but I could live with that)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
By the way, Nier: Automata is on sale for $45.99 from DLGamer. The site is kind of janky but works fine, I've used them in the past as well and I just picked it up there since I was looking for a sale and GreenManGaming has been dropping the ball in the past couple years

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Xaris posted:

By the way, Nier: Automata is on sale for $45.99 from DLGamer. The site is kind of janky but works fine, I've used them in the past as well and I just picked it up there since I was looking for a sale and GreenManGaming has been dropping the ball in the past couple years

Dang, hope this is still on sale come Thursday.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Deakul posted:

Dang, hope this is still on sale come Thursday.

It's been on sale since the 20th, so probably should be good.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ZearothK posted:

I am still holding out for their never released procedural cyberpunk heist game, even if I know it's not coming.

That game looks way prettier in motion than it does from screenshots.

So it's not exactly the same, but take a look at what Frozen Synapse 2 is doing, because it's very similar.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

END ME SCOOB posted:

Fun fact: Natsume never made any of the HM games until very recently, when, upon learning that the company who did make them was going to have a western division now, they went "Well gently caress you we'll get our own dev team, with hookers and blow", and started publishing their games under that name while the old crew had to take on the Story of Seasons name.

gently caress Natsume, is what I'm saying.

Ooof, I had no idea, my full Harvest Moon experience being doing some farming task like planting carrots or pulling up carrots and just being like "this feels too much like actual work" and putting the SNES version down forever.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some watermelons to grow in Nier and some fishing to do and - aw, crap - :v:

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

The best thing about Harvest Moon is the games were called Bokujo Monogatari in Japan and Harvest Moon elsewhere and were published by Natsume and developed by Marvelous. Then a few years back Marvelous decided to have XSeed, their NA subsidiary, publish them in NA since they figured it was dumb to have a middleman like Natsume taking a cut when they could just do it themselves. Despite developing all the Harvest Moon/Bokujo Monogatari games, Marvelous didn't have the rights to the Harvest Moon name and are now releasing "Harvest Moon" games under the title A Story of the Seasons in NA, but they're still called Bokujo Monogatari in Japan.

Now Harvest Moon is a decently popular franchise, so Natsume was like gently caress, we can make a farm game and are now releasing farm games under the name Harvest Moon: Insert Subtitle Here even though they're not really Harvest Moon games. I don't think it was even released in Japan, though I imagine it'd be called Harvest Moon there.

This is all relevant since Natsume Harvest Moon is supposed to release their games on PC, though from my understanding, their first two tries at making a Harvest Moon game were mediocre. Then again, they might just mean pc as in ios, but since they're releasing Wild Guns now, who knows.

I suppose the sales of the A Story of the Seasons and new Harvest Moon is probably a good as gauge as any for brand awareness, as one is the continuation of a long-running series under a new (in NA at least) name and the other is a different series with the existing name.

I'm sure this is going to confuse the hell out of everyone if an official pc harvest moon game is released.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 25, 2017

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Sivek posted:

I'm sure this is going to confuse the hell out of everyone if an official pc harvest moon game is released.

there's no need; stardew valley exists

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
As a huge fan of Harvest Moon SNES and N64 I am glad that Stardew exists. It really is good.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I've been playing Shadow Warrior and having fun with it, but I'm at an encounter that just seems impossible. I have no ammo, no real money to buy more, and the sword really isn't useful against these enemies because they just murder you at close range. I don't know what to do besides just restarting the whole level. I'm only on normal too.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Justin_Brett posted:

I've been playing Shadow Warrior and having fun with it, but I'm at an encounter that just seems impossible. I have no ammo, no real money to buy more, and the sword really isn't useful against these enemies because they just murder you at close range. I don't know what to do besides just restarting the whole level. I'm only on normal too.

Is it the first SW? Sword solves everything in that game. I guess just restart and save rocket ammo or something.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm not up to the rockets, it's a spot in the eighth level where there's one of the green shaman guys that spawns skeletons, and way too many of the sword ladies. If one gets enraged they seem to be able to kill you in just a couple hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Justin_Brett posted:

I'm not up to the rockets, it's a spot in the eighth level where there's one of the green shaman guys that spawns skeletons, and way too many of the sword ladies. If one gets enraged they seem to be able to kill you in just a couple hits.

Run around a lot and heal yourself

• Locked thread