Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atreiden
May 4, 2008

quote:

- They are releasing 1-3 new ships every month, each with much greater fidelity than earlier models.

I always like the fidelity argument, because it's a sci-fi game set 900 years in the future. What exactly are the spaceships or anything else fidelitous to?

pagesnipe, so you get some more pictures of my dog. Guess which end is the front and the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

trucutru posted:

Meanwhile at the Frontier forums, a deep-cover MoMA-model operative has woken up from cryogenic sleep to grace them with his opinions about the TOS

:words:

Etc, etc, somehow he (Jon93) just became a really prolific poster.

While he's done a really good job of sticking to the requisite talking points, it's definitely missing a certain je ne sais quoi. There's just no verve to it; no flair. :downsgun:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

Meanwhile at the Frontier forums, a deep-cover MoMA-model operative has woken up from cryogenic sleep to grace them with his opinions about the TOS

quote:

Also as highlighted earlier, the non-refund policy until development ceases just prevents people from jumping the boat if the project begins to go under. If people were allowed to do this then they wouldn't be able to refund everyone fairly and some would end up getting full refund while others get nothing. It's the best outcome for everyone in the unlikely scenario that the project fails.

Waht.
:psyduck:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

MeLKoR posted:

You should consider doing SC streaming, I'd bet you'd be the #1 streamer after one week.

It's worth pondering

What's the deal with asses in this game?

I mean, that can't be right

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Fun game:

Step 1: Find Tweet from Mrs. Roberts.

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/741376034495307776

Step 2: Take image from Tweet.

Step 3: Run image through image editor detection website.

Obtain result "Probably edited. Pixels only match software editors."

Is there a way to tell if that image is a photoshop?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Nope - and I won't. Having fun outside at the moment, but I'll be on 2.4 live later for some spaceship fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgN3E9qXku8

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Chin posted:

The last five minutes of this are magical.

:agreed:

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Fun game:

FWIW, Disco Lando posted a closeup of his name on the mural on his twitter.

Don't know if that affects your motivation

Here: https://twitter.com/discolando/status/741433072814415872

Plural Abysss fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 12, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Atreiden posted:

I always like the fidelity argument, because it's a sci-fi game set 900 years in the future. What exactly are the spaceships or anything else fidelitous to?

pagesnipe, so you get some more pictures of my dog. Guess which end is the front and the back.

I can't. Did CIG develop your dog?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

glad to see the EVA state is tied to being in a specific not-gravity bounded cubic area, should be as simple as making a 0 into a 1 when they try to get gravity applied to a large sphere for procedural planets

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Wise Learned Man posted:

While he's done a really good job of sticking to the requisite talking points, it's definitely missing a certain je ne sais quoi. There's just no verve to it; no flair. :downsgun:

Certainly lacking a trenchant analysis of steak preparation.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Ghostlight posted:

As long as everything goes to plan, and it looks like it is, why would I worry about buying insurance?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

It's like when a ship is sinking and everybody rushes to the lifeboats. Now, since there is not enough space in those (because Chris and Sandi sold a few to buy a mean espresso machine) it wouldn't be fair for some people to get in and some not so, instead, everybody gets a piece of the lifeboat. Well, not everybody, Chris and Sandi get a Yatch.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

No.
The only thing the algorithms that claim they can do is find discontinuities in compression artifacts and the like.

This *can* be an *indication* of the image being photoshopped from multiple sources, but does not say it is one.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

It's like when a ship is sinking and everybody rushes to the lifeboats. Now, since there is not enough space in those (because Chris and Sandi sold a few to buy a mean espresso machine) it wouldn't be fair for some people to get in and some not so, instead, everybody gets a piece of the lifeboat. Well, not everybody, Chris and Sandi get a Yatch.

No, no, what that guy is arguing is that everybody gets to stay on the sinking ship.
Except Chis and Sandi, who get a Yacht.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The game now fails to render you at all on a regular basis :thumbsup:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Fun game:

Why would it be a photoshop? This is precisely the kind of poo poo the love to throw money at. If there is something I trust them about is spending money in vanity crap.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TTerrible posted:

Ok so you cite CRs letter to The Escapist, the Zendesk tagging, the plagiarism and the new TOS as reasons you're getting out and assert that Derek did none of those things.

Here is the first line of the escapist letter:

I have, to date, attempted to stay above the internet drama currently surrounding Derek Smart and his claims about Star Citizen.

The ZenDesk tagging was discovered by someone on the /r/starcitizen_trades Reddit. If this thread hadn't picked it up, run with it, screenshotted it and ran it into the ground with Dereks assistance it would never have left that comment thread. We were watching the ZenDesk site get updated live with our feedback in this thread.

The plagiarism is the same. Some of it was noticed two years ago on the RSI forums and nothing happened. As soon as Derek and the filthy Goons (:argh:) got hold of it it became an issue and the art was pulled in hours.

The new TOS is a direct reaction to Derek shouting from the rooftops about the clauses in the old TOS requiring them to give refunds and financial accountability.

"Derek did none of those things. That was all CIG."

Fair enough you've come to your senses and are now trying to get a refund, it might be too late - but it is loving lovely to not give Derek his due here. If it wasn't for him you wouldn't even be considering a refund and may have poured more money in.

:same:

Some of the people posting in this thread got no hassle refunds for hundreds and even thousands of dollars back in August/September last year thanks to Derek. CIG has been doing everything they can ever since to plug the hole he created and this new ToS is the final nail in the coffin. All those people that heeded the red flags got out because of him, that you didn't is not his fault.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

Atreiden posted:

Guess which end is the front and the back.

Right from the viewer's perspective is the front. Did I get it right?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

orcinus posted:

No, no, what that guy is arguing is that everybody gets to stay on the sinking ship.
Except Chis and Sandi, who get a Yacht.

Yes, you get a piece of the lifeboat... in your hands, to keep while C&S laugh at you.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Ha ha ha ha. Nice.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Samizdata posted:

I can't. Did CIG develop your dog?

Considering she very rarely glitch out, I'm going with no. Also right side is the front ( I think)

Danakir posted:

Right from the viewer's perspective is the front. Did I get it right?

yes

Danforth
Jul 11, 2008

Thomas Pynchon posted:

“It’s not my forte, of course,” Lesnick honestly wishing not to offend the man, but really, “but there’s a feeling that fidelity may have been taken as far as it will go. That for the video game industry to carry on at all, it must look for a less narrow, a less… sterile set of assumptions. The next great breakthrough may come when we have the courage to junk fidelity entirely, and strike off at some other angle”

“No–not ‘strike off.’ Regress. You’re 40 years old, man. There are no ‘other angles.’ There is only forward—into it—or backward.”

Chris Roberts has turned now, and… oh, God. He is smiling. There is something so ancient in its assumption of brotherhood that—not now, but a few months from now, with spring prevailing and the Refunds beginning the churn—Lesnick will remember the smile—it will haunt him—as the most evil look he has ever had from a human face.

They’ve paused in their walking. Ben stares back at the man. The Anti-developer. “Ideas of the opposite” themselves, but on what cortex, what winter hemisphere? What ruinous Commando, clipping outward in the Waste… outward from spinning wreckage… reachable only to those who journey to the Italian coastline… eyes in the distance… whales… grief…

Danforth fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 12, 2016

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Fun game:

They photo shopped out the hole in the wall behind their stupid transparent thingy.

Lladre fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 12, 2016

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RayRoocroftCIG/status/741732550431891456

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

peter gabriel posted:

This is where I am at now.
The game is worse than ever, but much more than that it is shittier than ever.
In the old days it was just janky and crap and that was that, but now, well the more they add the more I realise it's just a poo poo game. They have put a shop in with guns and it's honestly like something from 2002. It's poo poo, not janky, just poo poo. It's dull, bland, crap and poo poo.
This makes all the words they waffle on more and more hollow as time goes by.
It makes even the guys in Berlin sound like loving idiots and bullshitters - the evidence of progress in the game right now is absolutely zero. the whole thing is a crock of poo poo.
I tell you what they are really doing here, and it's loving blatantly obvious with this update - they are adding doodads.
There are now flags and poo poo on walls, some railings have appeared and lockers, some more loving tables and bullshit like that. it's just so transparent what is going on now.
The rest of the game is worse, everything flickers, everything jitters around now. It's not even really funny at this point, it's loving insulting.

Wow you are pretty chill about stuff like me so when you post like this I pay close attention. If you can upset pgabz your game is bad.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Atreiden posted:

Just pet the middle and watch for one end to start wagging.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Fun game:

In this case it's probably just Twitter's compression.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Hope you had fun at the zoo MoMa :)

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

MeLKoR posted:

Sickening and heartbreaking.

You clicked it 16 times? Bro!

Deedrix
Jun 6, 2016

"Give me money and I'll give you shit in return."
CIG ToS

peter gabriel posted:

This is where I am at now.
The game is worse than ever, but much more than that it is shittier than ever.
In the old days it was just janky and crap and that was that, but now, well the more they add the more I realise it's just a poo poo game. They have put a shop in with guns and it's honestly like something from 2002. It's poo poo, not janky, just poo poo. It's dull, bland, crap and poo poo.
This makes all the words they waffle on more and more hollow as time goes by.
It makes even the guys in Berlin sound like loving idiots and bullshitters - the evidence of progress in the game right now is absolutely zero. the whole thing is a crock of poo poo.
I tell you what they are really doing here, and it's loving blatantly obvious with this update - they are adding doodads.
There are now flags and poo poo on walls, some railings have appeared and lockers, some more loving tables and bullshit like that. it's just so transparent what is going on now.
The rest of the game is worse, everything flickers, everything jitters around now. It's not even really funny at this point, it's loving insulting.

Almost looks like the final touches to nearly finished high fidelity product.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I don't know anywhere better to say this so I'm just going to barf it out over here.

If any publisher/developer wants to make a boatload of money on the next great space shooty sim, all they need to do is straight remake Tie Fighter with modern graphics and sounds. No need to write a new script, missions, etc. The flight model is simple arcade style. You've got the rough design of all ship models already to pass off to designers, so nobody needs to think up anything new.

It would be a relatively easy project, and done with a bit of love it would blow the gently caress up.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

is now

I'm glad of it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ZenMaster posted:

Wow you are pretty chill about stuff like me so when you post like this I pay close attention. If you can upset pgabz your game is bad.

I tend to do this now and then, it's like things build up and I vomit words on the screen sometimes to get it all out.
The worse the game gets the better I like it usually but sometimes I stop and think about what an absolute shitshow this is and yes, I do get a bit fed up.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Apollo Experience is literally an on rails Unity demo where you sit and watch some dudes wobble around in a badly rendered spaceship.
It's basically SC in VR so I get why he feels that way

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

The Butcher posted:

I don't know anywhere better to say this so I'm just going to barf it out over here.

If any publisher/developer wants to make a boatload of money on the next great space shooty sim, all they need to do is straight remake Tie Fighter with modern graphics and sounds. No need to write a new script, missions, etc. The flight model is simple arcade style. You've got the rough design of all ship models already to pass off to designers, so nobody needs to think up anything new.

It would be a relatively easy project, and done with a bit of love it would blow the gently caress up.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/283160/

done it appears to be a hit too, early access reviews give it pretty high praise

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

SomethingJones posted:

is now

I'm glad of it.

:lol:

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

is now

I'm glad of it.

Well Gawrsh, did we spend months repeatedly telling outright lies about the state of the game? Mistakes happen guys, let us know when that's the case!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Danknificent posted:

In this case it's probably just Twitter's compression.

Aww. :(

Plural Abysss posted:

FWIW, Disco Lando posted a closeup of his name on the mural on his twitter.

Don't know if that affects your motivation

Here: https://twitter.com/discolando/status/741433072814415872

So be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Youtube posted:

I used to think you were a dick. Not anymore! Thank you

Heartwarming comments like this make it all worthwhile

• Locked thread