Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Edit: Wrong thread.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
What has 37 keys and is exactly as wide as a Fender Princeton?

awwwwwww yeah this thing is loving FUN

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Cross posting from the Bass thread, my new favorite thing on the planet:

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I just picked up a pair of KRK VXT6's.

I already love them, great flat, response, mixes already sound at least 50% better.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Marshall MG100FX.

Grille screws need to be sunk back in, screw holes are stripped. Instrument input jack on the head won't stay fastened, falls into the head constantly.

Got it for next to nothing. I keep it in the garage, with my empty beer bottles and Crocs (things that don't belong in my house).

Cab is going to get a four pack of kickass speakers. Not sure what to do with the head. Probably scoop the guts out and wire a different head into it.

I'm not sure why. Maybe because of the ridiculous lipstick red. The head is a low priority though, I do want a good cab so I can screw around with low watt heads. Or I'm just bored.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Studebaker Hawk posted:

Cross posting from the Bass thread, my new favorite thing on the planet:

UNF. :flashfap: That is a goddamn sexy instrument. I wish I had gone for a fretless when I bought my 5-string, but I'm probably not disciplined enough for it anyway. loving love a fretless 5-string, though.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Got my Matrix Gt1000fx in the mail today. Goodbye tubes, and good riddance.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Thorpe posted:

Goodbye tubes, and good riddance.

BURN THE HERETIC

(oh my god that thing looks so cool, I would kill to spend a whole day messing with one)

VVV Nope, trapped in crappy ol' NC, aka the newly minted Texas Jr.

boxcarhobo fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 17, 2013

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

boxcarhobo posted:

BURN THE HERETIC

(oh my god that thing looks so cool, I would kill to spend a whole day messing with one)

If you're around the east Michigan area by chance that could happen, no murder necessary!

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes

dancehall posted:

What has 37 keys and is exactly as wide as a Fender Princeton?

awwwwwww yeah this thing is loving FUN

thats sick

EndoplasmicReticle
Nov 10, 2012
Picked up these the other week, I'd been hesitant about the monotribe since the Volca range are coming out pretty soon here in Australia, but overall I'm glad I got it.
Can make some absolutely amazing sounds in such a small unit and is so much fun to play live! Next I need to get the miditribe mod for it so I can start slaving it to a specific BPM.
X1 works fantastically too, now eagerly awaiting the Z1 to arrive here..

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That monotribe just looks so slick a product...

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000
my new bass is the VI-ness

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dishman
Jul 2, 2007
Slimy Bastard

PenguinBob posted:

Wait what

Ok that whammy is between 1 and 2 right?

seat chafe
Jun 7, 2013

PenguinBob posted:

I really want an extended scale guitar. Do you know how this one compares to the Schecter Hellcat VI?

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

Dishman posted:

Wait what

Ok that whammy is between 1 and 2 right?

yerp. it's a standard jag/jazzmaster tremolo.

seat chafe posted:

I really want an extended scale guitar. Do you know how this one compares to the Schecter Hellcat VI?

i think they both have mini-HBs, though the eastwood's are pretending to be P90s. they sound pretty similar from the few demos I can find, so I went with the sidejack for its tremolo and its sexy mosrite body.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Finally got the Alesis IO-dock for iPad. Using the iOS synths with this is so much easier it's ridiculous.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Bought some preamp tubes to try in my Genz Benz Streamliner. Talkbass folks rave about the JAN Phillips 5751, so I picked up one of those as well as a pair of Tung-Sol 12ax7s.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
How're you liking the streamliner? I really think that'll be my next amp head.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I don't think I've experienced what the Streamliner is capable of yet. I opened it up to see if it still had the stock tubes, and noticed that the JJ in the v1 slot is kind of "cloudy" on one side, which would explain the muddiness I've been struggling with. I'll let you know how it sounds when I do a full swap.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

PenguinBob posted:

Just curious, how do you feel about the upcoming Squier Bass VI?

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Just curious, how do you feel about the upcoming Squier Bass VI?

the lack of matching headstocks is unfortunate. as is the lack of surf green.

but it's super cool that Squier is putting out an original layout VI at that price point, and if I hadn't caught a floor model of the Eastwood going for cheap, I'd probably have held out for the Squier. I'd definitely take it over the Argus.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Went and picked up a Rode M3 for various micing jobs and I was curious what I'd get for that nice price, here is it on top compared to the Sennheiser ProfiPower (MD431-mk1) that I thought was the huge and heavy one.

It's front-address with a really good pickup pattern, don't need to get my headphones on unless I need to exclusively hear my own voice to perfection. Needs some tweaking on the EQ compared to the Sennheiser which has a flat fine pickup much like a condensor mic. The Sennheiser drawback is that despite being a dynamic, it needs a major channel strip like the DBX 286A or better to get to live. The M3 is plugged straight into my Edirol M-10DX digital mixer and sounds really clean though characteristic with its built in mic-insert effects. Recommended!

(Originally bought the Sennheiser because it looked so good)

e: I should have checked the bottom with the XLR at the store. Only one of the pins stuck out long enough to make proper contact with the cables I tried it with, so it was terribly sensitive to touch or anything even being near it, and even more sensitive to cable-wiggle. Returning to the shop tomorrow to ask for a new one..
..so I put my Sennheiser mic back in, it doesn't sound perfect just plugged raw into the Edirol, but my lord it sounds like the most loving caring wonderful person ever. Do I really need the M3 because goddamn, this is FINE!

-------------

edit2, the "oh/aha" experience:
It turns out Rode mics simply aren't going to work straight off with my mixer(s). The one pin sticking out the proper distance is their thing. Managed to return the otherwise mint condition mic for cashback, now I need to find a more functional front-address condenser with a similar great pickup pattern.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jul 26, 2013

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

HollisBrown posted:

I just picked up a pair of KRK VXT6's.

I already love them, great flat, response, mixes already sound at least 50% better.
What's up newly-purchased-VXT6 buddy :hfive:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I have yet to take any pictures of the Pearl mics and the Bogen amp I picked up recently, everything's a mess right now as I move. However, I did just snag this on eBay:

Retail price: $150.
Winning price: $13+$10s&h.
Rio Grande BBQ bridge humbucker.
Listed as "broken", but I've purchased "broken" pickups on eBay before that worked just fine sooo... :buddy:

AVBrafaDiMatteo
Nov 30, 2009
Bad ads nab top cop. Also, The Project Pt. II.

When all else fails, cash in your Ruples for new foreign myths.
I haven't flaunted my bonerjams lately...this guitar sounds like what I think of when imagine Jesus sneaking in to hell's best guitar store and making it back up top with a prized score. I love it, and yes; I did sleep with it in a plush hotel bed.

There can never be too much gear. Never.

EDIT - it's a Manson Guitarworks MA2 with some mild thingies done to it.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Even though I am a pointy guitar guy, I like that a lot. The pickup covers and dome knobs with the stop tailpiece and the cool pickguard, very stylish.
What are the pickups? Anything special?

Fredescu
Jun 19, 2006

AVBrafaDiMatteo posted:

I haven't flaunted my bonerjams lately...this guitar sounds like what I think of when imagine Jesus sneaking in to hell's best guitar store and making it back up top with a prized score. I love it, and yes; I did sleep with it in a plush hotel bed.

God, that looks amazing. I'm surprised how close the headstock looks to a Tele headstock. Surely that's getting close to lawsuit territory.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

AVBrafaDiMatteo posted:

There can never be too much gear. Never.

EDIT - it's a Manson Guitarworks MA2 with some mild thingies done to it.

It's pretty and all but a Tune-o-Matic bridge on a Tele just looks so......... blasphemous to me.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

HollisBrown posted:

It's pretty and all but a Tune-o-Matic bridge on a Tele just looks so......... blasphemous to me.

Yeah it looks so weird to me as well

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Blasphemy is cool.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009
I finally found a place in town that sold rackmount screws so I could put this rack and rackmount gear back into service.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
FYI, rack screws are 10/32 and 12/24 with 10/32 being much more common. You can get them at home depot or really any hardware store with a screw section.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

oredun posted:

FYI, rack screws are 10/32 and 12/24 with 10/32 being much more common. You can get them at home depot or really any hardware store with a screw section.

I checked both Home Depot and Ace and they either didn't have the right size, quantity, color or appropriate washers. I went to a music store and got what I needed for $6.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
... do parts purchases count?

I resurrected my Behringer UB2442FX mixer this weekend.

The above is a linear power supply that eats 2x19V AC (from a power transformer from an older Behringer I had, ironically) and gives +/-15V and +5V . It dissipates significant heat off the regulators, so I rigged up some old Southbridge heatsinks for the +/-15 rails, and the black one is off a Xeon motherboard. It's sandwiched on top of a 7815 regulator (to bring the ~29V rectified DC to 15v) and a 7805 reg (to bring that 15v down to 5). Basically just splitting the thermal load across two devices.

As a side bonus, I pulled the little digital daughterboard off the mixer - the digital effects, as awful as they are, were dead on it, and that bugs me - and I found a 10uF cap that poo poo the bed. Fixed that, FX are once again functional (and will remain faded down).

This was from the dark age of Behringer when they put 16v caps on 15v rails. THey have MUCH better quality control now, and I'd be even more inclined to pick their stuff up today.

The Apathy Party
Nov 7, 2005
lost to apathy
My new wife bought me this as a wedding present. I've been drooling over my mates new Telecaster and have always wanted a semi-hollow, so she chose well!
I used to have a bias against Squiers, but I cant put this thing down, it's awesome!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

The Apathy Party posted:

My new wife bought me this as a wedding present. I've been drooling over my mates new Telecaster and have always wanted a semi-hollow, so she chose well!
I used to have a bias against Squiers, but I cant put this thing down, it's awesome!

I've heard they've really stepped up their game with the classic vibe series. Here's a couple of nerds attempting to tell the difference between different tiered telecasters apart while blindfolded. Be warned though, it is technically an infomercial for some music shop in England.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCEdT2d43jU

Spoilers: For the most part they can only tell the difference by features and one actually mistakes the classic vibe for an exorbitantly expensive custom shop model.

kahm
May 13, 2004

what's goin' on in this fridge
Bought a Zoom G3 and made an add on box to do some more with it.

I have to say, this thing is loving awesome. I hate digital distortion boxes, for the most part. But this thing blows me the gently caress away for the price. I got it for $119 new at Guitar Center. You can use 6 stomp boxes at once, and there's like... 100 to choose from, including about 20 amp models, and 20 cabs. And they're not super crappy. We're not talking axe-fx quality here, but if you've got any kind of clean amp, this is an amazing little digital preamp. Check out some reviews if you're in the market for a new multi effects pedal.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

New bass day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

FancyMike posted:

New bass day.

Hell yeah. Missed out on a great deal on a '74 a year or two ago, still kicking myself to this day. First big purchase of 2014 WILL be a Ric bass in Jet-Glo.