Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

tikka_zamayid posted:

I picked this up just over a month ago.

It's ok, you can put it down now.

Nice!

EDIT: The worst snipe. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

tikka_zamayid posted:

I picked this up just over a month ago.

Paint job brotha :respek:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Owns. Welcome to the dArKsIde brother

tikka_zamayid
Dec 2, 2018

There goes the neighborhood....

Nidhg00670000 posted:

It's ok, you can put it down now.

Nice!

EDIT: The worst snipe. :downs:

I could but what would be the fun in that? At least I haven;t dropped it yet... :D

tikka_zamayid
Dec 2, 2018

There goes the neighborhood....

FBS posted:

Paint job brotha :respek:

The only other option here in the US is black on black on black... I went with the easier for others to see me since I am new to riding and trying not to die :D

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

tikka_zamayid posted:

The only other option here in the US is black on black on black... I went with the easier for others to see me since I am new to riding and trying not to die :D

oh dont worry, no one will see you anyway. but the cement job is a lot prettier than just black so good job on that

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I went to South Dakota and took this thing down a bunch of roads that made me wish I'd taken my Ducati Scrambler instead, but it made it just fine.

Standing up a completely laden 900lb motorcycle with bins and camping poo poo lashed to it on a grass hill sloped downward with a (partially) broken leg is a challenge.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

But on the bright side, you didn't fuckin' die! :cool:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Strife posted:

I went to South Dakota

Martytoof posted:

But on the bright side, you didn't fuckin' die! :cool:

Give it a couple weeks. :stonk:

Your bike pictures are too pretty for us to lose you, Strife. :sigh:

VVVVV Awww yisss that's the good stuff. :)

Coydog fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 20, 2020

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I guess I should have posted this picture too:

Big crowds at bike rallies aren't really my thing, I just like riding down complex roads when there's a bunch of people that know to expect bikes.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Part of me definitely wants to do a cross-country trip on a big, gently caress off Harley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmvNKe_qAxM

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Toe Rag posted:

Part of me definitely wants to do a cross-country trip on a big, gently caress off Harley.

That was the video that made me really want a touring bike. You could definitely do it. I spent about 7-8 hours a day riding when I was in SD, and it's definitely the least exhausting motorcycle I've ever ridden. Unless you're doing a bunch of low speed maneuvers in a dirt parking lot.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Redvenom posted:

Never managed anything quite that big but I did used to take my full tower PC to gaming LAN's back in the day. Racks are the best.

Is that an AOpen case?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Strife posted:

That was the video that made me really want a touring bike. You could definitely do it. I spent about 7-8 hours a day riding when I was in SD, and it's definitely the least exhausting motorcycle I've ever ridden. Unless you're doing a bunch of low speed maneuvers in a dirt parking lot.

"I'm trying to think of good things to say at the moment, but my testicles have been basting in sweat for the past six hours" - summer road trips in a nutshell, if you'll pardon the phrase

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Waited out the rain and won!

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

gileadexile posted:

same except it rained all day and all night lol

thankfully I planned ahead and brought a separate tarp to string over my bike since the other one was used for my hammock. only dumped the bike once while zipping around on some muddy trails I had no business being on in shinko 705s :D

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

gileadexile posted:

Is that completely bold rear tire?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Nitrox posted:

Is that completely bold rear tire?

Very bold!

Is that up near Mt.Washington?

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Yes, almost completely bald, just got my plates yesterday and I have an appointment next week to get new tires on.

That's about a mile or so from my house, it's a little park in Bluefield, Virginia. Lots of side roads, Back of the Dragon is about 25 miles away, really looking forward to having good tires to be able to ride!

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

I finally got to hit some exciting, twisty roads today on the Scrambler. Couldn't quite keep up with my two buddies but I learned a lot and it was a blast finally hitting some corners hard and getting to really lean the bike over at speed.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Toe Rag posted:

I did LA>Grand Canyon>Vegas (the long way, ~1100 miles, plus about 500 miles tootling around Vegas and Nevada) on a Street Glide and it's absolutely the right bike, psychically, for that trip.

Actually, as it's this thread, this was my bike for that week:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I did LA>Grand Canyon>Vegas (the long way, ~1100 miles, plus about 500 miles tootling around Vegas and Nevada) on a Street Glide and it's absolutely the right bike, psychically, for that trip.

Actually, as it's this thread, this was my bike for that week:

Did this lead to breaking through the numbers-on-paper barrier and finally getting Harleys for you as a similar experience did for me?

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Is that an AOpen case?

Sorry, honestly couldn't tell you. That pic was taken ~15 years ago, and I had the case quite a while before that. It was pretty cheap as full towers go, so probably not a good known brand name.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Did this lead to breaking through the numbers-on-paper barrier and finally getting Harleys for you as a similar experience did for me?

Oh no, I always understood the appeal conceptually (it'd be pretty hypocritical for anyone with my history of Italian bike ownership not to) but was very pleasantly surprised by the actual riding experience - there was really only one road where I was really thinking "God I wish I had something that handled a bit better". The rest of it, once I shed my instincts and just learned to go with the flow, it was absolutely perfect.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Why is that experience specific to HARLEY-DAVIDSON BRAND motorcycle? Any touring bike, specifically designed for asphalt road trips, will do that and then some. Try riding a Goldwing, K1600 or Challenger sometimes. There is nothing Harley-Davidson does, that makes it stand out in that segment

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

gileadexile posted:

I wish I got that lucky. I basically followed a rain storm all the way home, with beautiful blue skies in my mirror most of the way.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Nitrox posted:

Why is that experience specific to HARLEY-DAVIDSON BRAND motorcycle? Any touring bike, specifically designed for asphalt road trips, will do that and then some. Try riding a Goldwing, K1600 or Challenger sometimes. There is nothing Harley-Davidson does, that makes it stand out in that segment

Does a Goldwing have an obnoxiously loud stereo??

I think Goldwings and Road Glides are pretty different from each other even if they’re the same category. If I were buying then I’d go the Goldwing no doubt but there’s something inarticulable that On Two Wheels video captures really well IMO.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Toe Rag posted:

Does a Goldwing have an obnoxiously loud stereo??

It probably can. The weird thing about a Road Glide is it mostly doesn’t start very obnoxious. The stereo is kind of loud (I guess - I almost never use mine) and the stock exhaust is pretty boring. It’s what people do to them in the aftermarket that gives them a bad name.

That’s a big part of why I don’t take much Harley criticism to heart. People aren’t usually criticizing the bikes, they’re criticizing the riders, and most of them deserve it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nitrox posted:

This is not-getting-it.txt.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jcam posted:

I finally got to hit some exciting, twisty roads today on the Scrambler. Couldn't quite keep up with my two buddies but I learned a lot and it was a blast finally hitting some corners hard and getting to really lean the bike over at speed.

Nice! Don't worry about keeping up with your pals, just ride your own ride and don't play street Rossi

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Jazzzzz posted:

Nice! Don't worry about keeping up with your pals, just ride your own ride and don't play street Rossi

I'd go a step further and say don't try and keep up with your buddies. That is a surefire way to get killed as a beginner.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
That doesn't fall on deaf ears, I appreciate it. I think I just phrased it poorly; I led the group at my own pace the majority of the ride but once I waved them past it was just funny seeing how quickly they could lose me because of experience and confidence in the bike/the tires.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Started this K bike scrambler conversion thing last winter, then got sidelined. Finally got it up and running and calling it done for now since I can ride it.

edit. oh god, headlight, how did I not notice, I can't leave that pic up

vv just progressively sanded, then polished the aluminum tank

Withnail fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 27, 2020

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
K bike scrambler conversions are never not amazing. Doubley so because they are moose sized. I like the stripped tank. Did you do anything to finish that, or is it bare metal?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

congrats man that looks excellent

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Looks really nice. I think it could really benefit from a fairing like this
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle...AiABEgKnZfD_BwE

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Withnail posted:

Started this K bike scrambler conversion thing last winter, then got sidelined. Finally got it up and running and calling it done for now since I can ride it.

vv just progressively sanded, then polished the aluminum tank

Please aim your headlight.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Hah, can't unsee it now. Bike looks super rad and fun though. Good job.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Wow, I am dumb and definitely would not even think that might be the same bike without being told. That looks awesome man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Small hospital, empty lot. Lots of room for Jukin’