Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Patchwork Shaman posted:

Who is that guy in your avatar?

Antimony is a girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
I love my Mort avatar. If I could hug him, I would. But, avatar. Also, ghost.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Azran posted:

I'm a terrible fan, I don't recognize Cosmobot's old avatar. :(

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1122

It's relatively recent.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Being bitter toward your friend does not suit you, Annie.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I like how Smitty's response to finding a marble in his coat pocket is to simply make note of it and keep it there. I have to imagine he has other random objects on his person that will help others, save himself, or diffuse situations and he just keeps them where he found them.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Iceclaw posted:

Being bitter toward your friend does not suit you, Annie.

That face is like anything but a bitter-face.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:
Apparently, helping a Chickcarney also causes you to grin like a maniac and your pupils to contract to pinpoints.

He's...he's turning into Coyote. :ohdear:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

karmicknight posted:

I like how Smitty's response to finding a marble in his coat pocket is to simply make note of it and keep it there. I have to imagine he has other random objects on his person that will help others, save himself, or diffuse situations and he just keeps them where he found them.

Yeah, I was just thinking, Smitty's life must be oddly surreal, even moreso than all the other court people. When random insignificant things happen they're just his power preparing for the future, all randomness eventually falling into place.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
The chickcharney holding out his talons is the cutest thing ever.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Smitty's outlook on life, namely ascribing significance to minor occurrences is pretty indistinguishable from that of a mentally ill person, except in his case all of those little things actually do mean something. Actually, doesn't this mean he's sort of an avatar of predestination? If he had the marble for a week, that implies that his meeting the chickcharney has been fated to happen at least since that point.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The Lord of Hats posted:

Actually, doesn't this mean he's sort of an avatar of predestination? If he had the marble for a week, that implies that his meeting the chickcharney has been fated to happen at least since that point.

Nah. People love to ascribe all sorts of meanings to coincidences; Smitty doubly so, apparently. He would have said the same thing had the marble turned out to be useful in another way.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Smitty, aged 35, has an intervention due to his extreme hoarding ways in Chapter 285.

"NO! I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT'LL BE USED FOR YET!"

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
I'm half-expecting the caveat to Smitty's powers being when he gets good luck it's bad luck instead.

They were running away from the forest, after all :ohdear:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Annie accidentally flips Smitty's good luck/bad luck switch. World ends 24 hours later.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The chapter title marble is a different color than this one... hmm...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tunicate posted:

It's lying on the ground; maybe it's the lost one.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Smitty is basically an Adventure Game Protagonist.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Tunicate posted:

What? The chapter title page is a talon.

MikeJF posted:

It's lying on the ground; maybe it's the lost one.

Okay, double what?

Edit: VV Oh, duh. I barely ever look at those.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 22, 2013

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brightman posted:

What? The chapter title page is a talon.

Okay, double what?

Main page, scroll down to the chapter list.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
My goodness the Chickcarney is adorable. I want one for a pet now, I'll promise to give it marbles and chopped up rabbit to eat!

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Life is full of twicky decisions...
When he said that helping a Chickcarney is good luck I was rather surprised. I thought the Chickcarney was fairly creepy looking and it was going to be one of those "Encountering a Chickcarney is a bad omen and now we're cursed by it's dodgy chicken hands" things.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chickcharney

This link had already been posted in the thread previously. The whole "good luck if you help it, bad luck if you mistreat it" is a common pattern of fairytales.

ElementaryScotty
Jan 8, 2010
Is the Chickcharney doing the Gob Bluth chicken dance in the first panel.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Cyphoderus posted:

They were running away from the forest, after all :ohdear:

To be fair when we first see them running neither is entirely all that worked up about it, and Annie never gets afraid. She just finds it hilarious. If it was a massive big deal, I doubt she'd be laughing. Maybe it's just too much of a good thing, and now the citizens of the forest are rushing to crown Smitty their God-Emperor. FLEE FROM RESPONSIBILITY!

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Smitty is basically an Adventure Game Protagonist.

Except in that case the Chickcharney's opening words would have been "Thank you for finding my marble!" and leaving Annie and Smitty in the confusion that results from inadvertently sequence-breaking by being genre savvy in a poorly-made game.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

So.. Smitty is Maxwell Adams, from the Freelance Astronauts LPs?

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

Ursine Asylum posted:

Except in that case the Chickcharney's opening words would have been "Thank you for finding my marble!" and leaving Annie and Smitty in the confusion that results from inadvertently sequence-breaking by being genre savvy in a poorly-made game.

Well, more in the sense that anything he picks up is going to be useful in some way.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Cat Mattress posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chickcharney

This link had already been posted in the thread previously. The whole "good luck if you help it, bad luck if you mistreat it" is a common pattern of fairytales.

You also have creatures where being an rear end in a top hat to them means they give you free stuff, like catching leprechauns for their gold.

I can't think of any creatures that uniquely screw you over if you're nice to them (and are nice to you if you screw them over).

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

ElementaryScotty posted:

Is the Chickcharney doing the Gob Bluth chicken dance in the first panel.

Have you guys even seen a chicken? Chickens don't clap!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jon Joe posted:

I can't think of any creatures that uniquely screw you over if you're nice to them

Meet Yallery Brown, one of the fae.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Roland Jones posted:

Meet Yallery Brown, one of the fae.

Went to the library today to kill some time and was looking for books on real estate investment...ran across this while looking for the right section :allears:

From the few stories I've read so far, the morals all seem to be "Coyote is a dick" and so are a bunch of other characters, actually

Seems Tom has done a pretty decent job of depicting him so far.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

"Coyote is a dick"

Trickster characters in mythology tend to be right assholes.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
I wonder if Coyote represents all the tricksters, or if there's others. I'd love to see Annie go up against Anansi.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Daktar posted:

I wonder if Coyote represents all the tricksters, or if there's others. I'd love to see Annie go up against Anansi.

Well we know from Brinnie that Odin exists, as does presumably the whole Norse pantheon. And Coyotes mentioned other Native American spirits. Given the nature of the ether I think every myth is real.

Should we start a countdown to vampires? :v:

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Prison Warden posted:

Well we know from Brinnie that Odin exists, as does presumably the whole Norse pantheon. And Coyotes mentioned other Native American spirits. Given the nature of the ether I think every myth is real.

Should we start a countdown to vampires? :v:

Considering how much Darkstalkers stuff Tom's been doing? Yes, I think we should.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Yes, it was very similar to this one too...

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.
Now the chickcharney is going to think Smitty gave him an inferior marble when he had it's actual one all along. :smith:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That deer smells trouble.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.

Faraday Cage posted:

Now the chickcharney is going to think Smitty gave him an inferior marble when he had it's actual one all along. :smith:
That or it is actually looking for a shining sphere of unmelting ice containing the brilliant colours from the rarest flowers and not a marble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What if he's running from everyone that wants a marble.