Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

fez_machine posted:

I like Pratchett, a lot, but his work tends to be very rooted in various adolescent concerns, there's a reason why many of his protagonists are teenagers or in their early twenties. There are protagonists who are much older, like Weatherwax or Vimes, but the prime emotional movers tend to be young. It's only rarely that we get novels like Reaper Man and Night Watch where the concerns of adults come to foreground.

Plus Pratchett was prolific enough that there's a good amount of sloppiness in his craft. Overall, Discworld is one greatest fantasy series ever, it's enormously satisfying to read but it doesn't quite reach that other level.

P.G Wodehouse, in comparison, does one thing and does it to perfection, there's considerable literary pleasure in watching the clockwork of his characters and plots spin up and then release. His consistency is the quality that puts him over Pratchett.
You really enjoy being wrong, don't you?

Pray tell me where are the adolescent concerns in Jingo, or in Night Watch. Hand a Discworld book to a teenager and half of the themes or humor would go right over their head.

Or take Mort. Yeah, an exploration of death, that's for kids!

Mars4523 fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jul 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

fez_machine posted:

I loathe GRRM, a lot, but his work tends to be very rooted in various adolescent concerns, there's a reason why many of his protagonists are teenagers or in their early twenties. There are protagonists who are much older, like Tyrion or Jaime, but the prime emotional movers tend to be young.

FTFY. Someone in this thread is probably sporting a neckbeard and fedora.
You also missed to call Mieville FANTASY FAN THRASH.

Also, fantasy in general is mostly about protagonists that are teenagers/early twenties. Something, something about target audience.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Mars4523 posted:

You really enjoy being wrong, don't you?

Pray tell me where are the adolescent concerns in Jingo, or in Night Watch. Hand a Discworld book to a teenager and half of the themes or humor would go right over their head.

"Pray tell me" when you missed me citing Night Watch as an example of mature work from Pratchett.

Jingo is a bit of a line ball, but a key part of the adolescent sensibility is adult concerns without adult complexity. So it's very simplistic politics and cross-cultural analysis is pretty adolescent. As a teen, the last time I read and enjoyed Jingo (I would say it's a good book), I definitely got all the cross-dressing while infiltrating jokes, the boots stealing/futility of war and hatred themes, and the foreigners make you do disgusting things for their own amusement jokes.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Cardiac posted:

FTFY. Someone in this thread is probably sporting a neckbeard and fedora.
You also missed to call Mieville FANTASY FAN THRASH.

Also, fantasy in general is mostly about protagonists that are teenagers/early twenties. Something, something about target audience.

Sorry for the double post, but Mieville is very good and people should read his books.

Yeah, the target audience for fantasy is kind of regressive and escapist. I wonder why I'm getting people real mad for just suggesting that Pratchett is a good author but maybe not the best?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Your opinions are kinda poo poo.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Klungar posted:

My uncle gave these to me when I was a tween, but I couldn't get past the attempted rape by the main character near the beginning of the first one. Does it get better from there?
No. Counterpoint: Donaldson's "fantasy" is the most derivative, trite and boring thing possible. DnD sourcebooks have more invention than him.
Also guy knows like five verbs and just cycles through them. Rasped, clenched, gagged, then all over again.

andrew smash posted:

Zelazny pro read list: Lord of Light, Creatures of Light and Darkness, Isle of the Dead, This Immortal, The Doors of His Face The Lamps of His Mouth, then maybe Amber 1-5 if you want to keep going.
I'd add A Night In Lonesome October in there.
Speaking of, one name that hasn't sounded yet is Ray Bradbury. He's not really a fantasy writer, but that's because he really occupies his own slot somewhere between that and magical realism. Doesn't have a series, but some of his short stories form cycles.

Heartily seconding Bridge of Birds (duh), John Crowley and China Miéville who is practically and politically (which is totally the same, right) a complete twat but possesses a wonderful imagination.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Today, I found out that China Miéville is one of Theodore Beale's favourite SF/F authors.

I'm having a hard time with this.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fez_machine posted:

If you want Literary fantasy here are a few suggestions (beyond this anything published by the Fantasy Masterworks imprint is a good starting point):

Anything by John Crowley, but especially Little, Big (one of Harold Bloom's faves) and Aegypt.

Most things by Lucius Shepard, but especially The Dragon Griaule (reflections on the creative process with a GIANT DRAGON).

The Vergil Magus, Pellegrine and Limekiller Series by Avram Davidson, dense and allusive fantasy.

People LOVE The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle.

Virconium by M. John Harris is widely respected.

The Neveryon series by Samuel Delany, post-modernist/structuralist philosophy/the aids crisis filtered through a sword and sorcery setting.

Also read Bridge of Birds.

WARNING: ELITIST SNOBBERY, EDGELORDISM AND MORONIC DISMISSALS

Am I doing it right?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

chrisoya posted:

Today, I found out that China Miéville is one of Theodore Beale's favourite SF/F authors.

But Melville's a literal cultural Marxist. How does that even work?

Jedit posted:

Am I doing it right?

I'd say so! Gets my thumbs up.

But seriously find a fault with me marking Malazaan and the others as Fantasy Fan Trash.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 6, 2016

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

chrisoya posted:

What if Beale got Chuck Tingle nominated because he's an unironic fan?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

fez_machine posted:

But Melville's a literal cultural Marxist. How does that even work?
Apparently he's economically "moronic," says the self-proclaimed Austrian economist and neo-fascist, but good at writing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

fez_machine posted:

But seriously find a fault with me marking Malazaan and the others as Fantasy Fan Trash.

They're not. Especially Discworld, as you've had explained to you with all the success of trying to fill a black hole by throwing in meringues. Trash fiction doesn't try to say anything meaningful, doesn't try to create investment or development in the characters, and doesn't try to build a narrative beyond the One Cool Idea the author thinks he had. It's not required to like all fiction, but dismissing anything you don't like as trash is lazy criticism and anti-intellectual.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jedit posted:

They're not. Especially Discworld, as you've had explained to you with all the success of trying to fill a black hole by throwing in meringues. Trash fiction doesn't try to say anything meaningful, doesn't try to create investment or development in the characters, and doesn't try to build a narrative beyond the One Cool Idea the author thinks he had. It's not required to like all fiction, but dismissing anything you don't like as trash is lazy criticism and anti-intellectual.

One small correction: I didn't say Discworld was trash, I said it was "Literally For Children".

Maybe, just, maybe I used too much hyperbole when I said "Trash". I should have written "Junk".

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jul 6, 2016

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

fez_machine posted:

I guess because all taste is subjective there's no point listening to other people at all nor voicing our opinions. There's absolutely nothing shared or in common between anybody or any piece of fiction, it's all subjective. Nothing can be compared because we are physically incapable of experiencing another person's subjectivity.

theres actually zero difference between good & bad things. you imbecile. you loving moron

Yes well your opinion of Terry Pratchett was voiced as 'doesn't quite reach that other level' or 'up against the best of the genre doesn't rank' which were some compelling arguments that I couldn't hope to match. 'Subjectively he is the best' is certainly far short of either of those things you said about him.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
"Literally for children" sort of implies, well, literally for children. And outside of his YA stuff, I mean, no, none of it's literally for children. It's adult fantasy, it was written as adult fantasy, it is sold as adult fantasy. Most of it is appropriate for children, sure, and most can readily be related to by children, but the fact that it can be well-consumed by children does not make it literally for children.

And this is me being absolutely pedantic, of course, but oh well.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Chairchucker posted:

Yes well your opinion of Terry Pratchett was voiced as 'doesn't quite reach that other level' or 'up against the best of the genre doesn't rank' which were some compelling arguments that I couldn't hope to match. 'Subjectively he is the best' is certainly far short of either of those things you said about him.

Again I have just one small correction, I said against the best of non-genre fiction he doesn't rank, so y'know against Nabakov or Austen.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

fez_machine posted:

Again I have just one small correction, I said against the best of non-genre fiction he doesn't rank, so y'know against Nabakov or Austen.

It would not be inaccurate to say that Jane Austen was the Terry Pratchett of her day. Northanger Abbey is a straight up parody of the gothic novel, and all of her books have satirical commentary on society. You're quite literally only saying that Austen is better than Pratchett because she wrote her books 200 years ago

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

fez_machine posted:

Oh OK because in your opinion but not backed up by anything, he's not as good as writers in a completely different genre, he can't be considered amongst the best in the genre being talked about, cool.

Oh also another correction to my original point, I missed the other opinion you voiced of Sir Terry Pratchett, that his Discworld books were 'Literally for Children', a thing that, with the exception of the Tiffany Aching books, Maurice and his Educated Rodents, and maybe one or two others, is categorically not true, as others have mentioned.

But sure, me posting my opinion was worthy of your little rant.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jedit posted:

It would not be inaccurate to say that Jane Austen was the Terry Pratchett of her day. Northanger Abbey is a straight up parody of the gothic novel, and all of her books have satirical commentary on society. You're quite literally only saying that Austen is better than Pratchett because she wrote her books 200 years ago

No, it's because they are better written. Northanger Abbey is a subtle parody of the gothic novel, Pratchett's parodies have the subtlety of a sledge hammer, still funny. Austen's best works aren't parodies though, just as Prachett's best aren't either.

Chairchucker posted:

Oh OK because in your opinion but not backed up by anything, he's not as good as writers in a completely different genre, he can't be considered amongst the best in the genre being talked about, cool.

Oh also another correction to my original point, I missed the other opinion you voiced of Sir Terry Pratchett, that his Discworld books were 'Literally for Children', a thing that, with the exception of the Tiffany Aching books, Maurice and his Educated Rodents, and maybe one or two others, is categorically not true, as others have mentioned.

But sure, me posting my opinion was worthy of your little rant.

I've posted more detail on my opinion of Terry Pratchett than 1. they're not as good as the best literature has to offer and 2. they are written with an audience of children in mind, but yeah I guess those two points about sum up my opinion.

The only thing that's actually annoyed me so far in this several pages long derail, was you invoking subjectivity which is the coward's defence against opinion and criticism.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

fez_machine posted:

The only thing that's actually annoyed me so far in this several pages long derail, was you invoking subjectivity which is the coward's defence against opinion and criticism.

Not sure what this is supposed to actually mean, how can subjectivity be a 'coward's defence' against opinion, a thing that is clearly subjective?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

anilEhilated posted:

China Miéville who is practically and politically (which is totally the same, right) a complete twat but possesses a wonderful imagination.

I attended a lecture given by Mieville a few months ago. When I first saw him, I thought he was part of security because of his shaved head, his suit, and the dozen earrings in one ear that looked like an earpiece at first glance.

He talked about the complications of how race gets depicted in fiction, using specifics which I can't remember, just that there's no easy solution because the obvious answers have different problems. I asked him if someone could create a society with different cultures without direct 1:1 parallels to real stereotypes and races, and he said that readers will always see parallels regardless of the author's intent. Honestly, nothing about how he acted or what he said struck me as the least bit twattish. :colbert:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Solitair posted:

I attended a lecture given by Mieville a few months ago. When I first saw him, I thought he was part of security because of his shaved head, his suit, and the dozen earrings in one ear that looked like an earpiece at first glance.

He talked about the complications of how race gets depicted in fiction, using specifics which I can't remember, just that there's no easy solution because the obvious answers have different problems. I asked him if someone could create a society with different cultures without direct 1:1 parallels to real stereotypes and races, and he said that readers will always see parallels regardless of the author's intent. Honestly, nothing about how he acted or what he said struck me as the least bit twattish. :colbert:
Admittedly, I've never seen or heard him live, just going off his writing; and I think he has some good points when he talks books (like the idea happy endings are problematic with fantasy because the last thing you want to do in a story that alters reality is reaffirm the status quo) but I still believe that whenever the word "politics" is uttered, his eyes catch a mainacal glint.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

anilEhilated posted:

Admittedly, I've never seen or heard him live, just going off his writing; and I think he has some good points when he talks books (like the idea happy endings are problematic with fantasy because the last thing you want to do in a story that alters reality is reaffirm the status quo) but I still believe that whenever the word "politics" is uttered, his eyes catch a mainacal glint.

Maybe it's just politics related to Marxist issues like class and economics. I wish I could find video of the lecture I attended (University of Richmond, April 19 2016) so I can remember more specifics.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Drifter posted:

Phillip Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy is REALLY good, starting with the Golden Compass. - it was popular enough to have a big screen movie (that was absolute poo poo) made from it, too.

If anybody does decide to read these books at some point, be forewarned that as the series progresses, they become less and less about telling a story, and more about how awful the Catholic church it. It gets bad enough that by the end of the third book the entire Church is just cartoonishly evil. The series ends with the tween protagonists killing God and then jacking off by stroking each other's spirit animals

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Internet Wizard posted:

If anybody does decide to read these books at some point, be forewarned that as the series progresses, they become less and less about telling a story, and more about how awful the Catholic church it. It gets bad enough that by the end of the third book the entire Church is just cartoonishly evil. The series ends with the tween protagonists killing God and then jacking off by stroking each other's spirit animals

It's even worse than that. The first event you describe is so underplayed as to be absurd. They Kill God and barely even seem to notice they did it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
You know, Walter Moers has written some fantastic fantasy books. 13.5 Lives of Captain Bluebear and the rest of his Zamonia series is well worth a read.

They share a similar whimsy of Dr Seuss, but are novels.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

It's even worse than that. The first event you describe is so underplayed as to be absurd. They Kill God and barely even seem to notice they did it.
To be fair, neither does the reader. That book is half a book too long.
The first is genuinely good, though, fairly light on the philosophising, lots of fantastic action, great twist at the end. But I'd suggest not reading further - 2 has some good parts, sadly those are the ones that don't deal with the two main protagonists, and 3 is just a bloated, disjointed mess.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 6, 2016

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

chrisoya posted:

Liberals can afford to be a lot pickier with the politics of their authors than conservatives can.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The Shannara tv show is on Netflix so I decided to give it a try. Its been a long, long time since I read the books and I only read the original trilogy, but I don't remember it literally being set in post apocalyptic Seattle is that a thing that I missed when I was young?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Reason posted:

The Shannara tv show is on Netflix so I decided to give it a try. Its been a long, long time since I read the books and I only read the original trilogy, but I don't remember it literally being set in post apocalyptic Seattle is that a thing that I missed when I was young?

That stems from Brooks' The Word and the Void series, a modern(ish) day prequel series that leads into Shannara.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

To be fair, neither does the reader. That book is half a book too long.
The first is genuinely good, though, fairly light on the philosophising, lots of fantastic action, great twist at the end. But I'd suggest not reading further - 2 has some good parts, sadly those are the ones that don't deal with the two main protagonists, and 3 is just a bloated, disjointed mess.

Isn't that the point? Been years since I read it but god is ancient and barely alive and was never divine. His angels usurped him long ago.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ornamented Death posted:

That stems from Brooks' The Word and the Void series, a modern(ish) day prequel series that leads into Shannara.

Ah ok. God this show is bad.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Reason posted:

Ah ok. God this show is bad.

Just like the book!!!!!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Strategic Tea posted:

Isn't that the point? Been years since I read it but god is ancient and barely alive and was never divine. His angels usurped him long ago.
I meant the climactic battle with the usurper which takes about half a page and takes place roughly two thirds into the book. I don't remember God ever being present or relevant to anything in that series.
I admit I haven't read it in a while though so it's quite possible I blanked out the deicide.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

I meant the climactic battle with the usurper which takes about half a page and takes place roughly two thirds into the book. I don't remember God ever being present or relevant to anything in that series.
I admit I haven't read it in a while though so it's quite possible I blanked out the deicide.
I don't think he's referred to as God. He's just a very old, feeble, and possibly senile spirit who, IIRC, one of the main characters takes a moment to comfort as he dies.

It's been a while since I've read that, though.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Reason posted:

It's not just in the prequel series-- it's not really played up in Elfstones but as the series goes on it becomes clearer and clearer that it's post-apocalyptic in some way or another, so I can see having to address that right away when moving to a visual medium. I think it could have had a neat effect. Shame it apparently didn't?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mars4523 posted:

I don't think he's referred to as God. He's just a very old, feeble, and possibly senile spirit who, IIRC, one of the main characters takes a moment to comfort as he dies.

It's been a while since I've read that, though.
It's implied that he's God because his carriage-crystal-case-thing was being escorted by a cadre of angels in the middle of a raging battle when they could be fighting instead, but there's no explicit confirmation that I remember.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

neongrey posted:

It's not just in the prequel series-- it's not really played up in Elfstones but as the series goes on it becomes clearer and clearer that it's post-apocalyptic in some way or another, so I can see having to address that right away when moving to a visual medium. I think it could have had a neat effect. Shame it apparently didn't?
Yeah I vaguely remember that though even as a kid I thought that poo poo was kind of poorly written. Does his later works get better? I think I only read elf stones or something.

I just plowed through and finished Mark Lawrence's Prince of Thorns and Prince of Fools trilogies and it also does the whole in the future where humans "Builders" hosed up big time with an atomic war and implied loving with constants of reality (supercollider) allowing "magic" to happen and humans have reverted to feudal style fantasy world, with remnants of reinforced concrete buildings being used as castles and AI as ghosts in the world. I enjoyed that those a lot and Fools was really good, so now I'm having "drat what now..." feels

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Xaris posted:

Yeah I vaguely remember that though even as a kid I thought that poo poo was kind of poorly written. Does his later works get better? I think I only read elf stones or something.

I only ever read the first seven-- they steadily improved, they were decent enough for what I was consuming as a teenager, but I doubt they'd hold up super well now. I'm not sure how good the more recent stuff is. But he's sort of an artifact of when he started writing, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's implied that he's God because his carriage-crystal-case-thing was being escorted by a cadre of angels in the middle of a raging battle when they could be fighting instead, but there's no explicit confirmation that I remember.

You're right, no explicit reference but it is very heavily implied. Like to the degree where if you're paying attention to the themes of the trilogy, there is very little room to miss it.