Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

So quite a few heroes have been to/gone to hell. Any gone the other way?

Also found out today there is a character called Tar Baby. Fantastic choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alaois posted:

everyone from Greg Pak and Fred van Lente's Weapon X series "dies" so they can infiltrate hell and finally kill William Stryker after he made a pact with the devil and they all escape using Azazel except for Sabertooth who has to make a deal in order to get his son Graydon Creed out of Hell, he would be resurrected but his "inversion" would be removed which ended good guy Sabertooth.

Balls. Good Guy Sabertooth was the best thing ever done with the character.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

bessantj posted:

So quite a few heroes have been to/gone to hell. Any gone the other way?

Also found out today there is a character called Tar Baby. Fantastic choice.

You mean villains who went to heaven and then back? Or just heroes returned from heaven?

The latter list would be
Punisher
Green Arrow
Hal Jordan (kinda)
Thing
Pretty sure most of the Thor cast has been to Valhalla/Heaven and come back in some capacity

Though I mean, coming back from hell is a good goal. Trying to leave heaven kind of says a lot about how not great heaven is.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I believe the X-Men had to attack heaven and fight pirates in order to get Nightcrawler back.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Balls. Good Guy Sabertooth was the best thing ever done with the character.

the last story arc of Weapon X was obviously sped up and rushed quite a bit to facilitate whatever poo poo was going on with the X-Men early last year and someone probably wanted Sabertooth to be evil again because Greg Pak and Fred van Lente had a lot of good poo poo in Weapon X with Good Guy Sabertooth

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

You mean villains who went to heaven and then back? Or just heroes returned from heaven?

The latter list would be
Punisher
Green Arrow
Hal Jordan (kinda)
Thing
Pretty sure most of the Thor cast has been to Valhalla/Heaven and come back in some capacity

Though I mean, coming back from hell is a good goal. Trying to leave heaven kind of says a lot about how not great heaven is.

Well either/or for people that have gone. Some might not leave by choice.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Lobo has gotten kicked out of both hell and heaven.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Selachian posted:

Lobo has gotten kicked out of both hell and heaven.

Were those names of strip clubs?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

How Wonderful! posted:

I believe the X-Men had to attack heaven and fight pirates in order to get Nightcrawler back.

They got drawn into battling Azrael in the afterlife that included some in heaven, some in hell and some in limbo and Nightcrawler forsook heaven to save his friends.

Edit:

Amazing X-Men #4

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 26, 2020

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

bessantj posted:

Were those names of strip clubs?
I am probably embellishing from memory but it was part of the (long delayed, heavily edited) Lobo's Back mini-series. The first Lobo series by Giffen/Grant/Bisley was supposed to 'kill' Lobo by making him so loathsome people would lose their taste for him as an anti-hero, but it turned out people really enjoyed reading stories about him slowly murdering his grammar school teacher and doing other terrible things.

In Lobo's Back he's immediately killed by two other symbiotic bounty hunters named Loo and Feces and spends the whole mini-series going to various version of the afterlife, killing everyone in that afterlife, getting resurrected as a woman or a baby or a squirrel, killing himself, going to another afterlife, etc. in an attempt to get his "original" body back.

Lobo's Back was supposed to culminate in him fighting and killing Sgt. Jesus and His Howling Apostles, but despite a "mature readers" logo DC nixed that and eventually it turned into Nick Torquemada and the Howlin' Inquisitors, who he dismembers alongside Zeus, Odin, Buddha, Kali, etc.

This too did not stop Lobo from continuing to be very popular for five years, though it did basically drive Giffen away from working on the character (or for DC) for a good long while.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Lobo's Back even got a sequel.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Madkal posted:

Lobo's Back even got a sequel.
Are you talking about Infanticide? I forgot about that one being a post-Lobo's-Back Giffen Lobo book, it's the one where he does the Thanos plot from Infinity, except as a funny joke about how he has to go around the galaxy and kill all of his bastard children.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Edge & Christian posted:

Are you talking about Infanticide? I forgot about that one being a post-Lobo's-Back Giffen Lobo book, it's the one where he does the Thanos plot from Infinity, except as a funny joke about how he has to go around the galaxy and kill all of his bastard children.

Looks like I was misremembering and yea I was thinking of Infanticide. I have a vague memory of a few Lobo one offs and mini series. There was (and I am a hundred percent certain of this now) even a Lobocop one off that I remember enjoying.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Madkal posted:

Looks like I was misremembering and yea I was thinking of Infanticide. I have a vague memory of a few Lobo one offs and mini series. There was (and I am a hundred percent certain of this now) even a Lobocop one off that I remember enjoying.
They did print a trade of Lobo's Back under the title Lobo's Back's Back, maybe you were thinking of that?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Edge & Christian posted:

They did print a trade of Lobo's Back under the title Lobo's Back's Back, maybe you were thinking of that?

Most definitely so.
Also didn't the main Lobo series run for over 50 issues?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Have Apocalypse and the High Evolutionary ever teamed up?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I can think of at least a few panels where Spider-Man has been ripped off a wall or a ceiling and come away with little pieces of debris stuck to his fingers and toes.

Has Spider-Man ever deliberately picked up anyone or anything with the whatever-a-spider-can stickiness of his feet?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

maltesh posted:

I can think of at least a few panels where Spider-Man has been ripped off a wall or a ceiling and come away with little pieces of debris stuck to his fingers and toes.

Has Spider-Man ever deliberately picked up anyone or anything with the whatever-a-spider-can stickiness of his feet?

I don't know if Peter has but Kaine used to use the power to tear down walls and scar people's flesh.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
There's at least one page (that I don't have on hand) after Aunt May got shot where Peter breaks in to prison to beat the ever-lovin poo poo out of Kingpin. He grabs him by the back and definitely does some sticky finger damage. But I don't have the issue number or the actual page atm

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

maltesh posted:

He's sometimes picked up rocks and stuff with his sticky feet while otherwise incapacitated. It just doesn't come up often.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

maltesh posted:

There was a weird, short-lived time during and after The Other where he had some new powers and one of them included stickiness over his entire body, not just hands and feet. Which was surprising to me at the time because I had been certain up to that point he already had that...?

Anyway, during that time I remember him carrying someone or something on his back with his adhesive power.

Can't think of him lifting things up with his foot, though.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think he did it toNorman once during Dark Reign

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Lobok posted:

There was a weird, short-lived time during and after The Other where he had some new powers and one of them included stickiness over his entire body, not just hands and feet. Which was surprising to me at the time because I had been certain up to that point he already had that...?

Anyway, during that time I remember him carrying someone or something on his back with his adhesive power.

Can't think of him lifting things up with his foot, though.

he carried a little girl out of a collapsed building on his back, using the hairs on his arms to feel which way an exit was

it was a weird time

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I was reading an old issue of Warlock that took place on counter Earth and it seemed like counter Earth was a copy of normal Earth but some of the people were different. I thought it was just an Earth that the High Evolutionary had set up for his mutants. Is counter Earth still a copy of normal Earth?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

They're kind of two different counter-earths.
High Evolutionary's first attempt was to just copy Earth except it has no violence, but then violence happened thanks to ~not satan~ and Warlock becomes ~not jesus~ to deliver ~not god's~ Counter Earth from the extremely thin metaphor in which the New Men were the angels. After Warlock makes the inevitable necessary sacrifice to complete the metaphor and storyline that CE is completely forgotten about as later on High Evolutionary turns out to have a new CE where the New Men are just the men and High Evolutionary now acts as natural selection by killing the ones he didn't like in a new metaphor.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thanks. That explains why I was getting confused.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

They're kind of two different counter-earths.
High Evolutionary's first attempt was to just copy Earth except it has no violence, but then violence happened thanks to ~not satan~ and Warlock becomes ~not jesus~ to deliver ~not god's~ Counter Earth from the extremely thin metaphor in which the New Men were the angels. After Warlock makes the inevitable necessary sacrifice to complete the metaphor and storyline that CE is completely forgotten about as later on High Evolutionary turns out to have a new CE where the New Men are just the men and High Evolutionary now acts as natural selection by killing the ones he didn't like in a new metaphor.

I think there's one or two more counter earths making this even worse. The Heroes Reborn earth got moved to the counter earth position when Return came around and Dr. Doom stayed there to be a hero. Then there was another another counter earth that came up in one of the lovely FF runs and Hickman kinda integrated it into his FF run without mentioning it was a counter earth.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Yeah Counter-Earth has come and gone a bunch of times but has always had the same name, just to confuse the poo poo out of people.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

1972: Counter-Earth v1: High Evolutionary creates a duplicate "purer" Earth, this is the Adam Warlock Jesus one. Eventually it's stolen to be put in a Planet Museum in the 1980s by the Beyonders and then destroyed by Thanos in the 1990s, later reformed and used by The Goddess in Infinity Crusade as her "new planet".

This was an Earth of 99.999% normal baseline humans, but the "Satan" of this Counter-Earth was Man-Beast, one of HE's old "New Men" animal-human hybrids. HE left them all back on Mount Wundagore when he went off to make a new Earth, but Man-Beast and some cronies followed him.

1995: Counter-Earth v2: The Earth that Franklin Richards creates where all of the Heroes Reborn comics happen. This planet persists after the Avengers/FF/etc. come back to 'our' Earth, featured in Thunderbolts and a number of one-shots/stories.

2007: Heroes Reborn Earth v2: Completely separate from the Heroes Reborn Earth that implanted/extracted all of the heroes killed by Onslaught, this is a duplicate of that Earth except with their own Hulk/Thor/Iron Man/Wolverine/etc. From the Loeb/Liefeld classic Onslaught Reborn.

2008: Nu-World, basically the exact same concept as Counter-Earth v1 (down to rotating around on the opposite side of the sun from Earth), created by scientists as an escape pod for when the Regular Earth is uninhabitable. It ends up getting populated by everyone who was living on a future Earth that was about to be destroyed by [something, I forget] and then later Galactus ate it.

2015: Heroes Reborn Earth v3: Or maybe a half-assed version of v2, they showedup as bad guys in James Robinson's Fantastic Four and were a mishmash of v1 and v2 and all mostly died.

2015: Counter-Earth v1.1: Another High Evolutionary creation, from Rick Remender's Uncanny Avengers. This one was built from the ground up populated only by "New Men", but HE kept killing them all and resetting every time he didn't like something. The Avengers appeared to have driven him off of the planet but he's back in charge (v1.2?) in Al Ewing's Ultimates, and then tries to merge Counter-Earth with Regular Earth in the Avengers/Champions "Worlds Collide" crossover.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

There's also the Counter Earth from that weird not-2099 Spider-Man cartoon, not sure if that counts as separate

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

It's worth noting that the High Evolutionary was working so hard building the first Counter-Earth that he fell asleep halfway through, which is what gave Man-Beast the opportunity to go muck around with it.

Yep.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

look at this guy who can create a world in six days and not take a rest on the seventh

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It's worth noting that the High Evolutionary was working so hard building the first Counter-Earth that he fell asleep halfway through, which is what gave Man-Beast the opportunity to go muck around with it.

Yep.

That's a gnosticism/demiurge thing, right?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Speaking of the HE, it seems like Wundagore has no much happening on it that it should have a welcome center and strip mall. Am I mistaken? It seems like New York and Wundagore are the most-trafficked areas in Marvel.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Beerdeer posted:

Speaking of the HE, it seems like Wundagore has no much happening on it that it should have a welcome center and strip mall. Am I mistaken? It seems like New York and Wundagore are the most-trafficked areas in Marvel.

You mean the mountain where the High Evolutionary, Cthon the Elder God, Magneto, and the Puppet Master are all members of the neighborhood association?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

It's right up there, the accretion of continuity on Mount Wundagore is pretty intense.

1. Morgan le Fay set up shop there and imprisoned Cthon inside the mountain.
2. Being a jail for an evil demon/Elder God made the clay around the mountain magical, which the Puppet Master discovered and used to be a supervillain.
3. Jack Russell's dad built a mansion on the mountain, which squint somehow turned his kid into a werewolf?
4. Dad Russell sold the mansion to Jessica Drew's dad and the High Evolutionary, which squint eventually gave her Spider-Woman powers?
5. High Evolutionary evolved a bunch of animals into New Men and populated the mountain with these half-human/half-animal mutates.
6. The ghost of Merlin convinced those New Men to model themselves after/be inhabited by the spirits of The Knights of the Round Table?
7. Magda wandered onto the mountain and gave birth to Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch and died and so they were raised by Bova The New Woman Cow?

All of this poo poo (and subsequent stories involving all parties) got added in retroactively after the first appearance of Wundagore/New Men/High Evolutionary in Kirby/Lee Thor.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Very likely, especially given the source, but I'm not enough of an authority on gnosticism to say for sure.

And, like, I get that it's a reference and wrought with symbolism and all that jazz but the idea that the High Evolutionary hosed up his creation of a world because he got sleepy just makes me laugh.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Edge & Christian posted:

It's right up there, the accretion of continuity on Mount Wundagore is pretty intense.

1. Morgan le Fay set up shop there and imprisoned Cthon inside the mountain.
2. Being a jail for an evil demon/Elder God made the clay around the mountain magical, which the Puppet Master discovered and used to be a supervillain.
3. Jack Russell's dad built a mansion on the mountain, which squint somehow turned his kid into a werewolf?
4. Dad Russell sold the mansion to Jessica Drew's dad and the High Evolutionary, which squint eventually gave her Spider-Woman powers?
5. High Evolutionary evolved a bunch of animals into New Men and populated the mountain with these half-human/half-animal mutates.
6. The ghost of Merlin convinced those New Men to model themselves after/be inhabited by the spirits of The Knights of the Round Table?
7. Magda wandered onto the mountain and gave birth to Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch and died and so they were raised by Bova The New Woman Cow?

All of this poo poo (and subsequent stories involving all parties) got added in retroactively after the first appearance of Wundagore/New Men/High Evolutionary in Kirby/Lee Thor.

Ulysses Bloodstone killed a Skrull sorcerer who had set up shop there in ancient times, too.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Senior Woodchuck posted:

no, gnosticism gets really loving into it and the demiurge is responsible for the manufacturing of the physical world from god's spiritual creation. that's the reason everything in the world kind of sucks, because it's a pale imitation of the higher work in an inferior (pardon the pun) material. the purpose behind why the demiurge did so depends on the flavour of gnosticism, but the essential truth is that god is knowable only through the spiritual because god doesn't exist within the material, that's all the demiurge's doing and it prevents us from directly experiencing and knowing god's perfect creation.

it does, however, attempt to answer the same question that gnosticism does: if god who is perfect made this why does the world fundamentally blow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
god wants to you get covid as a test of faith