Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Inspector 34 posted:

You can buy water coolers like that for pretty cheap and just refill the jugs at most grocery stores for a little over a dollar/5g. Screw paying $30/month for service.

The grocery stores here sell the 5 gallon jugs for ~$6. An extra buck per bottle so I don't ever even have to think about it much less load up 8 huge bottles in my car and replace them makes it a sweet sweet deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Night Danger Moose posted:

That sounds fantastic. Definitely post pics when you get it.

From a while back, but he just got pics of the prototype and emailed em to me.

We weren't able to do silver because the detail is CRAZY tiny, but he is looking at seeing about getting a silversmith to tackle the idea.

Mainly though, I'm just waiting for them to show up because I loved the show, and drat they came out looking good.

Also, regarding soldering irons, I just use mine to help declog my 3d printer. I can't solder for poo poo, but it also only ran me like 5$ at harbor freight. Still, it works great as a heater for when an extruder gets jammed.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What terrible show is that from?

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

PCOS Bill posted:

What terrible show is that from?

The View

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

loving :lol:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Inzombiac posted:

I bought a soldering iron and accessories because I drink and think I'm gonna do LED work or some poo poo.

Every day that goes by, I realize that I am not smart.

Soldering iron + arduino + 3d printer to make negative molds to vacuum form = best Halloween costumes

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I bought Overwatch.

No more free time for me anymore. Good bye world.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Digital Jedi posted:

I bought Overwatch.

No more free time for me anymore. Good bye world.

Too busy jacking it? :jackbud:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

New shoes!

Onitsuka Tigers for $55 AUD. Absolute bargain. Thanks DFO.

Windsor Smith dress shoes for my wedding in September. Not as cheap as the tigers but for $150 I was happy.

Megabound has a new favorite as of 06:31 on Jun 11, 2016

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
I was going to buy a new dress to celebrate the heat wave here on the south coast, but my card was declined. Turns out someone else was having a great time buying electronics and plane tickets in Indonesia with my card and bank account :smith:

So card cancelled, bogus charges successfully disputed, and no access to pocket money (without a faff) til Tuesday.

(no worries, the account itself isn't/wasn't compromised -- at least now that I don't have to pay for the rogue purchases)

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
My new bass is heavy as balls - way more heavy than my five string - so it needs a nice wide strap.

I haven't used my Radial DI since I got my MarkBass head with a good XLR out, so I sold that to an employee of the music shop and ended up spending 17 cents of my own money on the strap, so I think that worked out pretty well. The employee basically traded me the strap for my DI.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Inspector 34 posted:

You can buy water coolers like that for pretty cheap and just refill the jugs at most grocery stores for a little over a dollar/5g. Screw paying $30/month for service.

Five grams of water isn't a whole lot.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Crud from yard sales

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

PCOS Bill posted:

What'd you pay per ton where you are? I'm going to need to do similar soon, though not to extend, just to replace washout over the years that I've.... maybe let get a little bad...

Including delivery was about ~$18 but it was for the underbase stone 2 along with crushed limestone. Luckily my bobcat was able to spread it all on my own.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I bought two pints of ice cream.

One is coffee with caramel chips, the other is vanilla with walnuts and a caramel swirl.

as a person that does not indulge in such things on a regular basis, I have a raging "semi" at the thought of eating them later.

I also have a watermelon to cut up and devour. I'm honestly having a hard time deciding.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Bought 17 fence posts, poo poo ton of concrete mix, this fence liner, horse shoe nails, and 3 gates to finish up our fence facing the front yard to give the dogs some running room!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

If you're doing butt stuff, you might want a toy with a larger base.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I had a busy week purchase wise. The ones below are just for me:

Sennheiser HD 518s because they're on sale at Amazon for $45, and I couldn't resist trying out some open-backed headphones that were so heavily discounted:

Stands for these headphones:

6 port 2.4A each USB port for phones and sweet vapes:

Handkerchiefs because I've been meaning to get some for years:

Destiny Rise of Iron Preorder because it's a social platform for me and some friendbuddies and we like to kill alien scum:

Ardbeg 10 year:

Woodford Reserve, the gentleman's blackout fuel of choice:

Habanero Sculpin...two six packs because they almost never make it to my town:

New rice cooker, because this one can do dry beans in an hour, and those are much cheaper:

Other stuff I couldn't/didn't want to get photos of: teas, groceries, sunglasses, cloth for sunglasses, and leather pouch for sunglasses. Books also like Slaughterhouse Five which was RAD, Seveneves by Neal Stephenson, and Gravity's Rainbow which I am quite excited to read next.

And Father's day gifts. For two Christmases, having to pay up for two Father's Days isn't so bad. Got one dad a pair of cow horn tumblers and the stepdad a pizza rocker because he loves to make pizza and those disc cutters suck. It was my last paycheck from a boring office job, so I decided to make it get me poo poo I wanted.

e: And one year ago today, I purchased my SA account, which has worked out. This thread alone has pointed me to some excellent purchases

NewFatMike has a new favorite as of 04:25 on Jun 12, 2016

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum

OSU_Matthew posted:

Soldering iron + arduino + 3d printer to make negative molds to vacuum form = best Halloween costumes

Mighty dope, this

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Slimy Hog posted:

Please, don't butt shame

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Slimy Hog posted:

If it's long enough to stick out, that isn't a problem.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Bought some art prints from local gallery and finally put them up.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Got myself a pair of new old stock inliners:

Roces Tartargua Barcelona.

Now I just need to get a helmet and other safety equipment.

Are there any threads about rollerblading here?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

NewFatMike posted:

Woodford Reserve, the gentleman's blackout fuel of choice:

Love it. Just gets expensive after awhile.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Kidney Stone posted:

Got myself a pair of new old stock inliners:

That reminds me. I still have these in my basement. Had them since the mid 90s. They're Rollerblade... ummm black and red. I'd probably use them still, but the roads in this neighborhood kind of suck and I'm out of shape.

Recent purchase, but no pictures, a few valves and various fittings to fix a plumbing leak and disconnect the toilet from the hard water supply and onto the soft water. The water here is ridiculously hard.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

evobatman posted:

It's giant, and heavy, and obsolete. It has a cassette player on the opposite end from the CD player. It doesn't have regular RCA plugs or speaker connections, you have to use adapters. Most likely you would never hear a difference between this and any $150 sound system made today that takes up a fifth of the space if they were hooked up to the same speakers.

The design is Danish, while the actual electronics usually are medium-to-high-level off the shelf massproduced japanese parts, with some extra quality control, in-house software and tuning. You're pretty much guaranteed that it will never sound directly bad, and at the cheap prices for used stuff you're guaranteed decent sound for low prices. I collect these because I love the design elements like a nice piece of furniture, I like getting $3000 electronics for pretty much disposable pocket money, I can work on them and repair them as a hobby, and I'm happy knowing that the sound quality isn't trash.

B&O speakers are a bit more special, made with resonance-free resin or with built in amplifiers to bring lots of sound from relatively small sizes.

You seem to know CD players, I just picked this one up a few minutes ago:

Marantz CD5004

It doesn't look cool or special, but are there good components inside?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Is it a rhetorical question or do you frequently buy expensive old CD players without knowing if they are quality?

Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

Serenity Now. Serenity Now.
:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:
[quote="NewFatMike" post="460925685"]

So whats this stuff like ? I can't imagine a worse pairing.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I heart bacon posted:

That reminds me. I still have these in my basement. Had them since the mid 90s. They're Rollerblade... ummm black and red. I'd probably use them still, but the roads in this neighborhood kind of suck and I'm out of shape.

Recent purchase, but no pictures, a few valves and various fittings to fix a plumbing leak and disconnect the toilet from the hard water supply and onto the soft water. The water here is ridiculously hard.

In my part of Canada you could only buy the hockey style rollerblades, the plastic-y kind was not acceptable. I still have these

I used to commute to high school in them, and actually play hockey in them.

And I pre-ordered a shitload of video games for big discounts ok thanks

No Man's Sky
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
South Park: Fractured but Whole
Dishonored 2
Ghost Recon: Wildlands
XCOM 2
FIFA 17
Battlefield 1
Mafia III
Titanfall 2
Watch Dogs 2
For Honor
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Horizon: Zero Dawn

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Fozaldo posted:

NewFatMike posted:

It's really good, and I'm not huge on IPAs. It's a well-balanced beer, but still leans towards the hops on its own. There isn't a load of heat or bite from the pepper, but it's there and it lingers a fair bit of time, it kind of makes you slow down some.

You do get some of the taste from the fruit of the habanero as well. It's a little sweet, but there is a little vegetation in there. It all complements really well.

I'm a real big fan, but I'm also into decently spicy stuff and tend towards the high end on buffalo wings and the like. I'd recommend giving it a shot if you're into spicy stuff, beer, or neato pairs.

I need to find some Thai Chili Wahoo from Ballast Point, that remains my white whale of this year's beer offerings.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

ChocNitty posted:

You seem to know CD players, I just picked this one up a few minutes ago:

Marantz CD5004

It doesn't look cool or special, but are there good components inside?

I don't know anything about that one in specific, but just googling it and spending 30 seconds separating the more useful reviews from the marketing materials makes it seem like a very nice player. Everybody loves Marantz, and CD playback hasn't had any signifcant progresses or breakthroughs in the last 20 years, so most likely it'll be at least equally good compared with any other CD player out there, and probably better than the vast majority of them in any area that can be quantified.

And hey, I think it looks cool!

mtr
May 15, 2008

quote:

It's really good, and I'm not huge on IPAs. It's a well-balanced beer, but still leans towards the hops on its own. There isn't a load of heat or bite from the pepper, but it's there and it lingers a fair bit of time, it kind of makes you slow down some.

To counter this, if you aren't into spicy food I would not recommend it. Sculpin is one of my favorite IPAs and I could not taste it at all over the heat. I struggled to get through my six pack. Sculpin is the most expensive beer I buy so I was a little bummed that I got a six pack before trying it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I've had it...I like spicy food but it was just a little bit too far over the line for me. Good as part of a flight but I don't think I could drink a whole pint and enjoy it.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

We used similar fencing last year to enclose our yard so the dogs could play. It's sturdy enough to let them go nuts, but just flexible enough that if someone backs into it by accident, as long as he or she doesn't hit one of the posts, no harm done.

Also, god bless leather gloves and decent linesman's pliers.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

We used similar fencing last year to enclose our yard so the dogs could play. It's sturdy enough to let them go nuts, but just flexible enough that if someone backs into it by accident, as long as he or she doesn't hit one of the posts, no harm done.

Also, god bless leather gloves and decent linesman's pliers.

Yeah we almost went with the cheaper fencing but once we saw it in person, we decided to go with the more expensive one.

I hate gloves they make everything harder... But I snapped my finger nail all the way down the middle when the fence liner fell on it.. We didn't like how the gates looked once up, so we are in the middle of trying to find some wooden gates.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

You do get some of the taste from the fruit of the habanero as well. It's a little sweet, but there is a little vegetation in there. It all complements really well.

I'm a real big fan, but I'm also into decently spicy stuff and tend towards the high end on buffalo wings and the like. I'd recommend giving it a shot if you're into spicy stuff, beer, or neato pairs.

I need to find some Thai Chili Wahoo from Ballast Point, that remains my white whale of this year's beer offerings.
[/quote]

The Grapefruit Sculpin version isn't that great. Too much grapefruit and not much else.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I think the grapefruit sculpin is awesome, as is the original.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I had heard a lot of good things about mixing the grapefruit and the habanero 50/50, but I didn't think it was that great. Might do it for people who want to kill the heat a bit, though.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Not yet but I'm thinking about buying a small booze cart and then stocking it with very mediocre liquor.

I'd love to make one myself but I don't have the right tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Nearby Russian grocery store had a whole wall of canned fishes. Picked up 5 different offerings; don't know how these are but there's only one way to find out.