Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Drifter posted:

Oh please, like if you had a chance to circumvent a huge waitlist in order to put out your product sooner so you could most likely make a lot of money you wouldn't.

Oh yeah I totally would, but I wouldn't then post about wanting to kill the president of Valve Software because I'm a huge entitled baby, so I'd get away with it. This guy is a moron, so he did that and he DIDN'T get away with it.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

You're correct, I would. I probably wouldn't throw a shitfit about it when I am then prevented from exploiting the system in this manner.

like worth a try guys, but don't act indignant when they don't let you have your way

this too

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

What system is he trying to fool? I thought this was because his game released a couple hours late.

It's further up on this page.

edit: Er, on the previous page now, I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I kind of feel like someone just randomly saying "I'm gonna kill you, rear end in a top hat" isn't much of a death threat, more just an internet way of saying "hey, I'm kind of annoyed or possibly angry with you."

At least wait until it's said twice, or put on the threatenees webpage, before you start calling it threatening. Like, one time in your own webpage/portal and it's still pretty much just a disparaging remark.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
People white-knighted for Phil Fish, granted, but didn't he have connections and poo poo to have that happen? What does the PA guy have?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
More.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There is no doubt in my mind that it wasn't a serious threat, but the fact that he is the entire reason for his own undoing is what's funny about it. The point I'm making is that, as a developer who puts a video game on Steam, you cannot immediately turn around and say dumb bullshit like this about the platform and the company hosting it:

And expect there to be no consequences.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Keep in mind that the game was removed not only for the guy having a meltdown of abuse on Twitter over a freaking banner on the frontpage not being fixed immediately as the game came out of early access, but also because of a rather big no-no (that Valve is now trying to prevent since it's starting to become common place): he was banning anyone who wasn't posting good reviews or speaking anything positive in the gaming hub.

Justin_Brett posted:

What does the PA guy have?

TotalBiscuit and Polygon.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009
Serious post: People like him who are having frequent internet fallouts/breakdowns probably need some form of therapy. Personally, I feel more pity than anger or amusement.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

saucerman posted:

Serious post: People like him who are having frequent internet fallouts/breakdowns probably need some form of therapy. Personally, I feel more pity than anger or amusement.

Narcissists have found fertile ground in the internet.

I don't know that totalbiscuit or polygon could spin this meltdown positively. That's some grade a resume-killing bullshit.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

Hello forums user Phlegmish, we hate them because they made death threats to Gabe Newell. Maybe if you read less than a page's worth of posts instead of just dropping in and shitposting, you would discover this, and not look like an idiot.

drat!! Was not expecting to get owned like this.

Is he an outright scammer or is his game just poo poo? It has to be really bad if Steam is pulling it.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Is he an outright scammer or is his game just poo poo? It has to be really bad if Steam is pulling it.
Both.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Saoshyant posted:

Keep in mind that the game was removed not only for the guy having a meltdown of abuse on Twitter over a freaking banner on the frontpage not being fixed immediately as the game came out of early access, but also because of a rather big no-no (that Valve is now trying to prevent since it's starting to become common place): he was banning anyone who wasn't posting good reviews or speaking anything positive in the gaming hub.

TotalBiscuit and Polygon.

Glad to hear Valve is cracking down on this. Dude should be more ashamed of the quality of his banner. Drippy font and hurf durf looking mspaint monsters/people? Really scary stuff. If your game is voxelicious, pony up a few bucks to commission a banner from a real artist since the art style won't match the game anyway.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Additionally, prior to this debacle he and the other dev were hurling insults and all sorts of wonderful invective at people on the games Steam board. They were pretty big assholes about it.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Both, and having a Internet hissy fit is basically the only way to generate any large amount of interest/free publicity for it. He'll certainly get it and hopes to have it attain some type of Bad Rats-esque notoriety. It may yet work.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Twitter would be even more amusing if they had real users' ages along side their name handles.

"look guys, I know I may have said some things, but look at all these 14 year olds who don't think it was that big a deal. :smuggo:"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ragequit posted:

Glad to hear Valve is cracking down on this. Dude should be more ashamed of the quality of his banner. Drippy font and hurf durf looking mspaint monsters/people? Really scary stuff. If your game is voxelicious, pony up a few bucks to commission a banner from a real artist since the art style won't match the game anyway.

I don't know if you are being serious or not but the reason he freaked out about the banner is because it still said "early access game" on it and he figured that would be the permanent death of his sales, not because it looked like poo poo (it did look like poo poo though).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sivek posted:

Both, and having a Internet hissy fit is basically the only way to generate any large amount of interest/free publicity for it. He'll certainly get it and hopes to have it attain some type of Bad Rats-esque notoriety. It may yet work.

Then getting pulled from Steam is the best punishment since no one is going to go out of their way to ironically buy a bad game like they do with Bad Rats.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

So "Steam loving up his launch date and acting childish about it"... does this boil down to Valve being closed over the weekend so he had to wait 2 extra days to launch his game? Because that's hilarious.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I wonder if his steam cards for that game will grow in value now that it isn't for sale anymore.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Haha, what the gently caress did I tell you people? Polygon didn't even wait for tomorrow.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/20/7024585/gabe-newell-death-threat-paranautical-activity-steam-valve

quote:

"This being a project I spent years of my life on, I was very frustrated by this mistake [Valve] made, so I tweeted a series of tweets calling them incompetent that eventually ended in me saying 'I swear I'm gonna loving kill gabe' or something," Maulbeck said in an email to Polygon. "A statement I obviously didn't mean, but nonetheless was totally unacceptable and driven entirely by the heat of frustration I was feeling at the time."

Look at him firing emails at every news outlet he can.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
You gotta excuse Valve here - they have basically no experience with games coming out of Early Access* so it's easy to do a mistake.

*because 99% of all EA games are abandoned before they get a chance to come out of it

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

CJacobs posted:

I don't know if you are being serious or not but the reason he freaked out about the banner is because it still said "early access game" on it and he figured that would be the permanent death of his sales, not because it looked like poo poo (it did look like poo poo though).

I was being serious. I know he was upset about the early access delayed banner switch, but he should have been more upset about the banner itself. Ah well, I am sure more Twitter fun will follow. So everyone is a winner. Except the dev I guess.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don't understand, wouldn't he (or someone at least employed or contracted by him) choose the banner?

Saoshyant posted:

Haha, what the gently caress did I tell you people? Polygon didn't even wait for tomorrow.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/20/7024585/gabe-newell-death-threat-paranautical-activity-steam-valve

Hahahaha, "or something." Like he doesn't know exactly what he typed.

Edit: Maybe he should send Polygon one of the hundreds of screengrabs made of it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Breaking News: Talking poo poo Has Real Life Consequences

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

I don't understand, wouldn't he (or someone at least employed or contracted by him) choose the banner?
This is the part I don't get. What's the deal here?

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Croccers posted:

Presumably the guys putting it up on the front page forgot the remove the 'Early Access Game' tag from it. Not sure if that's something the devs themselves can control.

EDIT: Yeah, that thing the guy below me posted.

smenj fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 21, 2014

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Croccers posted:

It's not the banner itself, it's because Steam labelled it as still being Early Access, I think this will link to the whole picture;

edit: Well as far as I know it was just that little caption, I'm not sure if it still had the Early Access label on the actual steam page

https://twitter.com/SpooderW/status/524213797805125632

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Drifter posted:

I kind of feel like someone just randomly saying "I'm gonna kill you, rear end in a top hat" isn't much of a death threat, more just an internet way of saying "hey, I'm kind of annoyed or possibly angry with you."

At least wait until it's said twice, or put on the threatenees webpage, before you start calling it threatening. Like, one time in your own webpage/portal and it's still pretty much just a disparaging remark.

The alleged tweet before it was deleted said "I am going to kill gabe newell. He is going to die."

So yeah, he literally said it twice!

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Where in that article does Polygon excuse his behaviour, like you said they would?

quote:

Maybe Polygon contacted him first?

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Of all the lovely games I have on Steam, this will be be the first to make use of the "hide game" feature.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

al-azad posted:

The alleged tweet before it was deleted said "I am going to kill gabe newell. He is going to die."

So yeah, he literally said it twice!

And probably no one at Valve believed it either. But who the gently caress wants to do any business with someone who, as one of their first reactions to stress, is "I am going to loving kill you."

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
https://twitter.com/SpooderW/status/524268322716516354

https://twitter.com/SpooderW/status/524268709938876417

I wonder why this guy has such a hard time making money.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Incredible. When did he change his Twitter name to Mike Murderbeck?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

ymgve posted:

You gotta excuse Valve here - they have basically no experience with games coming out of Early Access* so it's easy to do a mistake.

*because 99% of all EA games are abandoned before they get a chance to come out of it
As far as I'm aware Early Access titles transitioning to release require some manual changes by Valve as it's a new system. That said control over the game's storefront and advertising elements are strongly controlled by the Dev - although I can't speak specifically about the Early Access element. In any case that was fixed within the hour of them being notified, so rip. Expect him to gloat about how his greenlight game got auto-accepted as he was a trusted dev at the time by virtue of being on the store.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

saucerman posted:

Where in that article does Polygon excuse his behaviour, like you said they would?

One may say that by 1) giving more exposure to their poo poo game, 2) not mentioning any of the garbage he is still posting on Twitter, and 3) telling people to buy the game on other online stores they are condoning his behavior. But that's my POV -- if you have a different one that's cool.

You can't make this poo poo up, though.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

...Or I can just post the proof in the game's depository:

branches/steambuild/buildid: 415842
branches/steambuild/description: NOG4WL
branches/steambuild/pwdrequired: 1

It's happening. Dark Souls is moving to Steamworks, full stop.

NOG4WL is the best description. Also Jesus Christ yes!

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
That actually stands for New Online Gaming For Windows Live, jokes on us.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Kotaku has an article about it.

Gaming journalism.

:btroll:

(where the gently caress is the popcorn emote?)

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

quote:

"We have removed the game's sales page and ceased relations with the developer after he threatened to kill one of our employees", a Valve spokesperson told Kotaku.

didn't realize they commented on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

It's so beautiful. I was just posting about it yesterday to convince people not to buy it because the guy and the game are pieces of poo poo. And then this happens, just no words.

• Locked thread